Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cry Pretty Album Reviews

adam1995

At this point it doesn’t even matter what anyone says. She has been through a ton and I think she just wants to do what she wants and none of the other stuff even matters. We got an amazing album from a really strong person.

Last edited:

rcramer

^^ If anything it has to be taken with a grain of salt..... None of them are what I call critiquing the songs on the CD. They are cherry picking is how I see it..... It is amazing and her personal best.....

AdamJ

A friend of mine said there is a great review in the Columbus Ohio dispatch. I do not get that paper and I am at work so I can not bring it over here. Maybe someone can go to The Dispatch Columbus Ohio Carrie Underwood Album review and post it here.. Thanks!!!!! I am proud of Carrie. She has gone through a traumatic time (physical and mentally) and it has made her a stronger lady. Kudos to her for bringing it out to the public. Maybe it will help other women to cope with miscarriage and loss. I hope the remainder of her pregnancy goes well and she and the baby are well and healthy. Prayers...

maddkat

Staff member
A friend of mine said there is a great review in the Columbus Ohio dispatch. I do not get that paper and I am at work so I can not bring it over here. Maybe someone can go to The Dispatch Columbus Ohio Carrie Underwood Album review and post it here.. Thanks!!!!! I am proud of Carrie. She has gone through a traumatic time (physical and mentally) and it has made her a stronger lady. Kudos to her for bringing it out to the public. Maybe it will help other women to cope with miscarriage and loss. I hope the remainder of her pregnancy goes well and she and the baby are well and healthy. Prayers...
thanks

CD review | Carrie Underwood, Good Charlotte tackle hard issues in new albums - Entertainment & Life - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

Carrie Underwood
“Cry Pretty” (Capitol Music Nashville)

Carrie Underwood has always been a great singer, from the moment we met the Checotah, Oklahoma, native on “American Idol” in 2005.

But she hasn’t always had great songs to sing. For every “Jesus, Take the Wheel” or “So Small” on her albums, there was plenty of pleasant country filler. But not on “Cry Pretty.”

Start to finish, Underwood’s sixth album is easily her best, filled with songs that make the most of her voice, both physical and lyrical. The title track may be more poignant following Underwood’s fall last year that resulted in 50 stitches in her face and an uncomfortable focus on how she looks. But when she belts out the song’s final third, she is undeniable.

Maybe the biggest surprise on “Cry Pretty” are the numerous risks Underwood takes that all pay off. Musically, she offers her poppiest song in years with “That Song That We Used to Make Love To,” which leans more toward Aaliyah-era R&B instead of anything currently on country radio.

And lyrically, Underwood takes on issues that she has previously sidestepped. “The Bullet” is a wrenching ballad about those left behind by violence that Underwood included in part because of the shooting deaths at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas. “You can blame it on hate or blame it on guns,” she sings with increasing intensity. “But mamas ain’t supposed to bury their sons.”

On “Love Wins,” one of the nine songs she co-wrote on the album, Underwood creates a soaring anthem of inclusion after pointing out pitfalls like “politics and prejudice.”

Of course, Underwood shines brightest with a string of future country smashes, including the celebration of classic country heroes on “Ghosts on the Stereo” and her fiery defense of home life on “Kingdom.”

“Cry Pretty” finds Underwood at the peak of her powers and she’s determined to use them for good.

lizcarlo

This is such incredible album. I don't care too much about ones who don't like it. I am enjoying reading some of them.

Louisa

https://nycountryswag.com/nycs-first-impression-cry-pretty/

For Underwood fans, Cry Pretty is a unique but engaging offering, stretching the singer outside of her normal realm, yet still keeping her planted in her musical roots. For country music purists, the overall body of work might veer too much away from the Underwood of “I Told You So” and “Jesus Take the Wheel,” but for fans of music as a whole, Cry Pretty offers something for everyone.

https://blackboybulletin.com/2018/09/17/carrie-underwood-nails-it-with-cry-pretty/

Lyrically, Cry Pretty sports the most input from Carrie (she is credited on nine out of the thirteen songs). Second single, “Love Wins” carefully treads the line between uplifting and cheesy and “Spinning Bottles” is a gorgeous narrative-driven song in the vein of “Church Bells” and “Smoke Break.” Simply put, Carrie nails it; Cry Pretty is easily one of the strongest albums of the year and quite possibly her best.

Key Tracks: “Low,” “Backsliding,” “The Bullet,” “Spinning Bottles”

SCORE: 93

People Magazine (September 24) -

CarrieAddicted

How odd that Metacritic hasn’t updated the CP reviews. Still only 6.
That’s unbelievable, as virtually all albums get over 10 reviews.

teesharky

Any reason that Metacrituc has not updated? I get maybe they were off over the weekend but several reviews are missing that might help us. Ie Boston Globe etc. They had a good blurb out that I think was a review? Time Mag abd NY Times etc abd maby more are missing that count on the label. Odd

CarrieAddicted

I found the complete list of the publications Metacritic uses for music releases.

Which ones bellow have reviewed the album so far (even if they’re not on Metacritic yet)?

The 405
Absolute Punk
AllMusic
Alternative Press
American Songwriter
Austin Chronicle
Billboard.com
Blurt
Boston Globe
Chicago Tribune (Greg Kot)
Clash Music
Classic Rock
CMJ
Complex
Consequence of Sound
Country Weekly
Delusions of Adequacy
DIY Magazine
Drowned In Sound
Dusted Magazine
Entertainment Weekly
Exclaim
The Guardian
HipHopDX
The Independent (UK)
Kerrang!
The Line of Best Fit
Los Angeles Times
Mojo
Mixmag
musicOMH.com
New Musical Express
The New York Times
No Ripcord
NOW Magazine (Toronto)
The Observer
The Onion (A.V. Club)
Paste Magazine
Pitchfork
Pop Matters
Pretty Much Amazing
Punk News.org
Q Magazine
The Quietus
Record Collector
Resident Advisor
Revolver
Rock Sound
Rolling Stone
The Skinny (UK)
Slant Magazine
Spin
Sputnikmusic
The Telegraph (UK)
Tiny Mix Tapes
Uncut
Under The Radar
The Wire
XLR8
XXL

Claire2004

The Red & Black review:

Claire Cicero | Culture Editor

Carrie Underwood, vocal powerhouse and country-pop queen, has had her fair share of struggles during the past couple of years. In November 2017, Underwood fell in her Nashville home, breaking her wrist and sustaining an injury that required over 40 stitches in her face. Underwood revealed that in the past two years she has faced three miscarriages. From all this pain — physical and emotional — Underwood created “Cry Pretty,” her sixth studio album, released on Sept. 14. While the overall message of the album doesn’t get as personal as it could (and perhaps should), it’s a solid offering from the artist.

The first half of “Cry Pretty,” while showcasing some good tunes, is fairly obviously not as strong as the second half.

While songs like the title track or “Backsliding” add a little something to the album, songs like “Southbound” drag it one step back. The song seems incredibly out of place when compared to a lot of the other tracks. While it can’t all be sunshine and rainbows, country artists shouldn’t feel like they have to talk about parties and “redneck margaritas” at least once per album.

There are a few standouts on “Cry Pretty,” and while they don’t necessarily comment on Underwood and her personal battles, songs like “The Bullet” and “Love Wins” do more than most listeners would expect.

“The Bullet” focuses on gun violence and starts at the scene of a funeral, only getting tougher from there. The song’s main point — that the damage from shootings and gun violence never really stops — is eloquent and sold by Underwood’s emotional twang.
The title for “Love Wins” could refer to the popular slogan used to define the legalization of same-sex marriage. In this track, Underwood laments how citizens of the United States only seem to be picking sides now, with no one finding common ground.

The album closes with “Kingdom,” a track that perhaps lets listeners into Underwood’s home to see how she and her family live. It’s a more intimate offering from the singer, and highlights that maybe the whole rest of the album should’ve been in this vein all along.
Looking at the bigger picture, Underwood could have made “Cry Pretty” so much more than what it turned out to be. It could have been a sweeping, soaring display of how to acknowledge and overcome grief, or could have been an exploration into how much the past couple of years have changed her and the way she views her life.

At the end of the day, though, the album doesn’t do any of that, and ends up being a pop-country crossover album with little to complain about but also little to distinguish it from others. The listeners already know Underwood can and will sing her heart out — the question here is what is she singing for?

https://www.redandblack.com/culture...cle_a7a9db10-ba3c-11e8-b3b8-b3c2c701eb1b.html

Claire2004

The Chicago Sun Times review:

Carrie Underwood pushes herself in new musical directions on ‘Cry Pretty’

Kristin M. Hall | Associated Press

For the first time in her career, Carrie Underwood took over co-producing duties on her new album “Cry Pretty” (Capitol Records Nashville) and co-wrote nine of the 13 tracks. But does it make the collection more personal?
Underwood, who broke into the national spotlight with “American Idol,” is a spectacular singer with a great ear for songs. But after an injury to her face last fall, she hid from the public for months.

She returned this year and announced this summer she’s pregnant with her second child. Now, her personal life has become a bit more front-and-center than before. She has always sung with authentic emotion and drama, but she was more skilled at interpreting the song than revealing much about herself.

“Cry Pretty” isn’t the confessional record her country peers have done really well. She even notes on the title track that she’s “not usually the kind to show my heart to the world.”

But she’s pushing herself in new musical directions, teasing out parts of her multifaceted voice with rhythm and tempo that feels like you’re hearing her anew.

Working with producer David Garcia, who co-wrote the pop-country crossover “Meant to Be” by Bebe Rexha and Florida Georgia Line, Underwood adds R&B, pop and dance rhythms to songs like “Backsliding” and “End Up With You.” On “Low,” she slinks into a bluesy country groove that sounds like a perfect vehicle for a duet between Underwood and Chris Stapleton.
But the county ballad “The Bullet” feels empty with lyrics like, “You can blame it on hate, or blame it on guns, but mommas ain’t supposed to bury their sons.”

“Love Wins” is in a similar vein, delivering vague messages of hope, unity and love for all, but the building music makes better use of her soaring, arena-sized vocals.

She ends the album with what’s likely the closest we’re going to see of the “real Carrie” on “Kingdom,” singing about scampering children and the highs and lows of a family that’s “perfectly imperfect.” The song touches on her strong Christian faith. It also shows she can be relatable — when she lets her guard down.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/carrie-underwood-cry-pretty-music-review/

teesharky

Guys Metacrituc just added consequence of Sound so we are at 71 now!!! Yay!

And Chicago Sun times gsve a great review!

teesharky

That’s it? What happened to Time Mag Washington Post and so many more? This list is skewed for small independent mags and only has one country magazine. Really unfair!!

I found the complete list of the publications Metacritic uses for music releases.

Which ones bellow have reviewed the album so far (even if they’re not on Metacritic yet)?

The 405
Absolute Punk
AllMusic
Alternative Press
American Songwriter
Austin Chronicle
Billboard.com
Blurt
Boston Globe
Chicago Tribune (Greg Kot)
Clash Music
Classic Rock
CMJ
Complex
Consequence of Sound
Country Weekly
Delusions of Adequacy
DIY Magazine
Drowned In Sound
Dusted Magazine
Entertainment Weekly
Exclaim
The Guardian
HipHopDX
The Independent (UK)
Kerrang!
The Line of Best Fit
Los Angeles Times
Mojo
Mixmag
musicOMH.com
New Musical Express
The New York Times
No Ripcord
NOW Magazine (Toronto)
The Observer
The Onion (A.V. Club)
Paste Magazine
Pitchfork
Pop Matters
Pretty Much Amazing
Punk News.org
Q Magazine
The Quietus
Record Collector
Resident Advisor
Revolver
Rock Sound
Rolling Stone
The Skinny (UK)
Slant Magazine
Spin
Sputnikmusic
The Telegraph (UK)
Tiny Mix Tapes
Uncut
Under The Radar
The Wire
XLR8
XXL

Claire2004

^Boston Globe and Country Weekly often give reviews for Carrie’s albums, but they usually post the reviews later than most sites.

teesharky

^ It just seems that the list is odd as it eliminates so many big papers like Washington Post, USA Today, NY Daily News, Time Magazine- etc- and so many more. Most of the GREAT reviews that Carrie got will not be counted. Bummer!

Why is the list so skewed to indy mags and snark fest assholes like LA Times or The Guardian?

teesharky

Guys we need help in the USer reviews for Cry Pretty on Metacritic. It was up to 8/10, but some haters just dragged it down to 6.8/10 and it keeps fallihng.

Anyone that hasn't submitted a review yet-- please do so. It takes 5 minutes. Thanks!