Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cry Pretty Album Reviews

Farawayhills

Very positive reaction/review video of the album!

It takes 25 minutes - but I'd strongly recommend listening to this in full. She analyses each song in turn, concentrating on the development of the musical line, giving equal attention to vocal, instrumentation and structure. Most reviews are impressionistic and put more stress on highly selective aspects that catch the reviewers attention - but don't comment on 90% of the rest. This takes a more detailed view of how each song develops.

Nina is a singer/songwriter, based in Hampshire. She is a graduate of the Academy of Contemporary Music, in Guildford (where Ed Sheeran also studied). She has her own album out, and appears quite widely throughout the South of England, and has also worked on the Continent. She gives a professional musician's perspective in her reviews.

twaintrain

^I loved her analysis. Very nice that someone reacting is that knowledgeable.

It baffles me that so many music critics seem to have very little knowledge of music. They are too concerned about her not airing her 'dirty laundry' or making a political statement to actually listen to the music as a whole.

Farawayhills

My on-line friend, Michelle Lindsey, based in Scotland, has posted her review.
https://highwayqueens.com/2018/09/15/album-review-cry-pretty-by-carrie-underwood/

From a wide ranging, Alternative-leaning writer - who was moved to start her blog by Nikki Lane' s stellar Roots album, "Highway Queen", this is a balanced review, which, I feel is pretty appreciative of where Carrie stands, and what she can bring to the genre - while not overlooking the limitations inherent in the Mainstream. I feel this is likely to be broadly representative of the way serious Country fans on this side of the Atlantic may approach the album.

Smokyiiis

Sounds like Nashville review
Album Review: Carrie Underwood's Cry Pretty | Sounds Like Nashville

this is strong:
[h=1]After A Life-Changing Year, Carrie Underwood Is Ready To Take On Sexism With Cry Pretty[/h][FONT=&quot]COURTNEY E. SMITH
[FONT=&quot]SEPTEMBER 14, 2018, 11:15 AM[/FONT]

[/FONT]
image.jpg

[FONT=&quot]PHOTO: JEFF KRAVITZ/FILMMAGIC.

Mainstream country music needs Carrie Underwood now more than ever. Along with Miranda Lambert, Underwood is the biggest woman in the genre, and the genre isn’t doing great by women at the moment. They are vastly underrepresented in airplay at country radio, which is a driving force in sales, discovery, and fandom for country music. So an album drop by Underwood a litmus test.

Country radio did not rally around Lambert’s CMA and ACM Album of the Year LP, The Weight of These Wings, with programmers claiming they couldn’t find a single. Lambert’s considerable stature didn’t grant her any wiggle room, because she’s also a woman. Underwood takes a different approach with her sixth album,Cry Pretty, an album full of radio-ready songs that are home runs for all the things modern country audiences are thought to love. The question is: Will she get any traction? Can the face of the NFL theme song get radio airplay in a genre that seems to be afraid of women?

Underwood is also making an feminist statement with Cry Pretty; she co-wrote nine of the album’s 13 tracks and, in a first, serves as co-producer with David Garcia (Bebe Rexha, Kip Moore). Garcia’s crossover chops help guide Underwood to some strong pop and even hip hop sounds on tracks that really work (“Ghosts on the Stereo” and “End Up with You”) and some that fall flat (“Backsliding,” which under serves her impressive voice). Underwood had a traumatic year, overcoming a life-changing facial injury, but she steers clear of the topic on Cry Pretty in favor of exploring some tried and true topics that are country favorites and getting political for the first time in her career.

We get a couple of boozy country tropes with “Drinking Alone,” a spicy track where drinking serves as slang for hooking up with a stranger in a bar, and “Spinning Bottles,” a sad track about the abuse that comes with alcoholism. “Southbound” celebrates that authentic small-town lifestyle, invoking pontoons and “red-neck margaritas,” so those in the know can know that Underwood is one of them.

Underwood’s most overt political statement comes on “The Bullet,” a tear-jerker that details the aftermath of gun violence. She avoids taking a stance on the Second Amendment in the lyrics, but provides a dim view of reckless treatment of human life, singing, “You can blame it on hate or blame it on guns, but mamas ain't supposed to bury their sons / Left a hole in her heart and it still ain't done / The bullet keeps on goin'.” She continues to very cautiously take on politics with “Love Wins,” which also starts with a mention of a stray bullet, this time giving the impression she’s addressing Black Lives Matter and LGBTQ+ rights without actually mentioning either. Underwood walks a fine line of talking to red and blue states but refuses to take a side, presumably for fear of alienating anyone.

The American Idol winner seemingly plays it safe musically because she feels she’s taking her chances with milquetoast political statements instead. Caught between a rock and a hard place, Underwood doesn’t seemingly evolve much with Cry Pretty, but the proof is there, between the lines: She’s producing herself, she’s writing it herself, and she’s taking control of her own narrative, sexist radio programmers be damned.

[/FONT]

Smokyiiis

My on-line friend, Michelle Lindsey, based in Scotland, has posted her review.https://highwayqueens.com/2018/09/15/album-review-cry-pretty-by-carrie-underwood/From a wide ranging, Alternative-leaning writer - who was moved to start her blog by Nikki Lane' s stellar Roots album, "Highway Queen", this is a balanced review, which, I feel is pretty appreciative of where Carrie stands, and what she can bring to the genre - while not overlooking the limitations inherent in the Mainstream. I feel this is likely to be broadly representative of the way serious Country fans on this side of the Atlantic may approach the album.

Love how she ended it with:Whatever your thoughts are on this album or on her career one thing we all must agree on is that Carrie deserves the support of anyone who cares about country music. If she can’t succeed in the industry then no other woman stands a chance. Carrie must also get a lot of credit for speaking out in support of other women in the genre. And it’s not lip service either as she has hired two all women acts to open for her on tour – Maddie and Tae and Runaway June. Women supporting women is so necessary and heartwarming to see.There’s a lovely song towards the end of the album called ‘Kingdom’, where she sings about marriage, motherhood and life itself, describing it as being ‘perfectly imperfect’. That’s as good a phrase as any to sum up the music and message of Cry Pretty.

i gotta say I’m surprised how much my sentiments about each song coincided well with hers. I must be more ROOTS inclined than I thought! Lol

Triquetral

I must admit I am genuinely surprised by these reviews.

From start to finish this is my favourite album by far (and Storyteller was a massive disappointment for me, I played it for a week and barely did again except for 1 or 2 outtakes).

Sheesh. What do they want from Carrie? :s

teesharky

^ well some
of the reviews are great as they should be. Washington Post, EW and All Music Guide were great! Time Mag abd NewsDay were great too. NY Times abd Rollingstone were good overall.

It’s really just LA Times abd the British abd Canadian papers that seem to slam
her. They do every time though so I am
not surprised. I just wish they would give her a chance but they never do.

I do notice the British critics seem particularly nasty this time- except for the nice review Faraway Hills just posted. Are they mad at Carrie fir cancelling??!

Last edited:

Smokyiiis

^ wellso
e of the reviews are great as they should be. Washington Post, EW and All Music Guide were great! Time Mag abd NewsDay were great too. NY Times abd Rollingstone were good overall.

I do notice the British critics seem particularly nasty this time- except for the nice review Faraway Hills just posted. Are they mad at Carrie fir cancelling??!

Sweet Lord! That would be an AWFUL retaliation if that were the case! I dare to hope that was NOT the case.

sco

I don’t put too much stock in reviews as they are just one person’s opinion. One thing I do find interesting is the penchant for some to want her to change what’s worked so well for her. It makes no sense. Why would she throw away what’s made her a superstar? Gradual evolution is good and that’s what she’s done. There’s a whole lot of subtle sexism in the idea that women artists have to bare their soul or take a political stance to make good music.

I like this quote from the NPR review:

“How the hell'd it ever come to this?" It's a good question and one that Underwood doesn't answer. But that's our job. Hers is making massively popular country records, something she does masterfully. The fact that she's engaging an issue most of her industry peers have met with deafening silence, is one more reason to admire her.“

Farawayhills

^ well some
of the reviews are great as they should be. Washington Post, EW and All Music Guide were great! Time Mag abd NewsDay were great too. NY Times abd Rollingstone were good overall.

No, I don't think it would have anything to do with cancellations (reviewers have often had their review copies before the cancellations were announced, with an embargo on publication before release; also, unless they're reviewing the event itself, they tend to ignore particular shows in album reviews. The two events, Long Road and Hyde Park, were largely aimed at somewhat different music lovers anyway - having to cancel was a great shame, but is unlikely to have much effect on how the album is received. She may be able to perform at similar events next year).

I think the worst British review was in the Guardian - a politically Left-leaning paper which was probably disappointed with the degree of specific reference shown in the two "issue" songs (which had been somewhat hyped on social media, probably arousing unrealistic expectations of a more explicitly political stance - or enabling already cynical doubters to throw in a smug put down). I think the Highway Queens review that I linked to was much more sensitive to the climate in which Carrie operates, and much more appreciative of the attention she was drawing to those issues.

I don't want to "jinx" any potential build up for Carrie in the UK, of course - but I do feel that I should warn fans against having too high expectations for this market. Steady growth in awareness and appreciation is more realistic than a surge to World domination. Carrie has to please a number of tastes, which may not be easy to reconcile (and her Mainstream radio base in the US is still going to be of great importance.). Where, I feel, Michelle is being realistic in the Highway Queens review, is where she draws attention to stylistic points that may struggle a bit to get general approval in the UK. I'll pick out some of those (remember, though that I'm highlighting them out of context, in what is overall a very sympathetic and supportive review)

"you do kind of dream of hearing a more rootsy version or at least some light fiddle and banjo like she had on her earlier albums."
"If you’re willing to accept that nearly every song on this album ends with power chords, a guitar solo and hitting the top note then you can’t help but be won over by what she’s trying to do."
"Maybe the production is too much at times but this isn’t a Dave Cobb record."
"I’m not going to lie and say this album is for everyone. If you don’t like power ballads and power singing you won’t like the best songs on here."
"[songs] which attempt that weak modern pop country sound which the singles she’s released seem to fight against"
"The best songs on this album go for an epic, 80s rock sound instead which in my opinion works but can be unpalatable to some and is generally no longer that fashionable"

I think those points emphasize that tastes over here are often a bit different from those in Carrie's main market in North America (which is very focused on what's being played on Mainstream radio). I think a good many older Country fans here will favour a more traditional sound, and a good many younger ones tend to lean towards what is often called "Americana", which has an active live music following. There is a market in between, which may prefer the power ballads, but I don't think it's all that large. Reconciling all those demands is not easy.

Farawayhills

i gotta say I’m surprised how much my sentiments about each song coincided well with hers. I must be more ROOTS inclined than I thought! Lol

Good to hear! Lol

I think, as a term in contemporary Country Music, "Roots" is often rather misunderstood. It's not the same as "Traditional". Both may draw on the genre's roots, in the literal sense - but "Traditional" styles tend to consolidate around, and come to stick at, a particular stylistic point in those roots. They may be very good, but, by their very nature, they tend to become rather fossilized at the point their devotees regard as most authentic. That is not to say that they can't refine their techniques and themes - but it's difficult for them to undertake much experimentation and development in new directions, without ceasing to be regarded as authentically "Traditional".

By contrast, when we use "Roots" as a more general stylistic term, we tend to be thinking of a spirit, or flow of influences, which draws on a broad spectrum of roots traditions, but doesn't confine itself to particular points or particular consolidated styles within that spectrum. Modern Roots Music is often Progressive and experimental in its development, while retaining an underlying "feel" that differentiates it from the general mix of commercial music. I think Carrie made some moves in that direction on "Storyteller", and is continuing that move (sometimes more emphatically) in some of the songs on "Cry Pretty". But neither album went completely in that direction, and it remains to be seen how far it will be reflected in her new choice of singles.

teesharky

Guys I wonder why metacrituc is not updating? Is that because it’s Saturday?

It missed Time, NY Times, Washington Post etc:

mbh

It takes 25 minutes - but I'd strongly recommend listening to this in full. She analyses each song in turn, concentrating on the development of the musical line, giving equal attention to vocal, instrumentation and structure. Most reviews are impressionistic and put more stress on highly selective aspects that catch the reviewers attention - but don't comment on 90% of the rest. This takes a more detailed view of how each song develops.

Nina is a singer/songwriter, based in Hampshire. She is a graduate of the Academy of Contemporary Music, in Guildford (where Ed Sheeran also studied). She has her own album out, and appears quite widely throughout the South of England, and has also worked on the Continent. She gives a professional musician's perspective in her reviews.

I love Nina Shofield's review posted in YouTube SO MUCH that I shared it to all my facebook friends. I used your introduction of Nina. I have many facebook friends who are members of cover bands and also studied in school of music.

CrazyAboutCarrie

^I loved her analysis. Very nice that someone reacting is that knowledgeable.

It baffles me that so many music critics seem to have very little knowledge of music. They are too concerned about her not airing her 'dirty laundry' or making a political statement to actually listen to the music as a whole.

I learned that I don't really listen to a song. So much more than the lyrics and vocals. I guess I even don't listen to the vocals very much. Not sure what that says about me. LOL Thank you so much for sharing. This has made me even more appreciative of Carrie's talent and so proud of her production of this album.