Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Cry Pretty' chart updates

melvinc

Only if UMG did not push for CH, CP would not have gone back and forth at #9 and #10 for weeks. CU could be in the Top 5 by now and possibly a shot at #1. UMG should be ashamed of not pushing CP over the boys and jeopardise CU’s career streak.

simonplay

Please don’t say that Simon. You cannot call a single anywhere in the top ten ‘a flop’ and least of all a top 6.

ok I know you/we are all use to the Carrie standard number 1’s and anything less than that is a bit of a disappointment.....but a ‘flop’? NEVER!

I'm not talking just about radio, they never put CP in any big playlist in Spotify so the streaming was non existent, they never put a banner in itunes for the single and now they let it peak at #6 when just some weeks ago they give Keith a two weeks push..
Don't call it a flop if you don't want but it was a underperformance and a big underperfomance for Carrie freaking Underwood!

CU4ever

We really shouldn’t judge UMG by one song. There are things they could have done better, but they can’t be judged yet. CP was struggling for months and months and they managed to keep it alive well past when radio wanted to drop it. They managed to push CP in one week from a sizable negative bullet to a bullet of 700+. Off the bat it seemed like radio just was not going to play this one, and the bad sales didn’t help either.

And while this peak is upsetting, Many artists would kill to have a top six, much less have only one song miss the top 3 and peak at number six in thirteen + years.

mgbjr

Wow... I know we all probably expected this but I’m actually stunned. Speechless. I saw this coming but I didn’t see it coming at the same time? oh well I guess. This just means we’re closer to single #2 and the album release. We shall see what UMG and Carrie have up their sleeves next. I will say this though, I think they intended and wanted CP to go number one, they just didn’t think it would be that difficult to pass the boys club. They probably stopped this week to release Love Wins on Friday, and start building up fresh hype for the album, as were only 2 WEEKS AWAY come Friday!!!!!! I don’t want to entirely give up on UMG yet. I’m just gonna put on my seatbelt and try to enjoy the roller coaster that we will be enduring this era.

jaks_weyn

We really shouldn’t judge UMG by one song. There are things they could have done better, but they can’t be judged yet. CP was struggling for months and months and they managed to keep it alive well past when radio wanted to drop it. They managed to push CP in one week from a sizable negative bullet to a bullet of 700+. Off the bat it seemed like radio just was not going to play this one, and the bad sales didn’t help either.

And while this peak is upsetting, Many artists would kill to have a top six, much less have only one song miss the top 3 and peak at number six in thirteen + years.

True.. and who knows? CP peaked at top#6 but LW will have multiple weeks at #1 in -genre and the album will be her best-selling yet (more than SH)... they might work even harder after this one... they are, as they said, passionate for Carrie's music.. let's see how they do in the next releases and the album...

CU4ever

True.. and who knows? CP peaked at top#6 but LW will have multiple weeks at #1 in -genre and the album will be her best-selling yet (more than SH)... they might work even harder after this one... they are, as they said, passionate for Carrie's music.. let's see how they do in the next releases and the album...

Completely agree. I am confident and truly feel LW will be huge - and not just with country radio either.. we shall wait and see how UMG handles the rest of this epic era

melvinc

I wouldn't be this mad if this is a #4 or #5 single. How could UMG not push first single over KU's #3 when it has already shown sign of struggling, and it was obvious CH stole CP's airplay. Anyway, this could be the start of an era where #1 and #2 is no longer a lock in CU's career.

mbh

Well, just ENJOY this epic era. Let us support Carrie by buying MULTIPLE CDs and MULTIPLE concert tickets like what we were doing over the years since Carrie won American Idol. If country radios want to support MALE country artists only, its their loss. It is a SHAME that out of TOP 18 in country radio charts ONLY ONE IS FEMALE which is Carrie. Carrie is IN DEMAND on television shows anyway, which have MORE AUDIENCE to connect.

simonplay

I wouldn't be this mad if this is a #4 or #5 single. How could UMG not push first single over KU's #3 when it has already shown sign of struggling, and it was obvious CH stole CP's airplay. Anyway, this could be the start of an era where #1 and #2 is no longer a lock in CU's career.

Exactly! Keith Urban was selling on par with CP and struggling at radio too but they didn't have a problem pushing two weeks for him with a third single!

mgbjr

I don’t know if this affects anything, but perhaps when it’s a duet/feature the label has to give it special attention as the featured artists’ label put faith into the main labels hands. I know Keith/Julia were both on UMG, but they were on separate divisions of UMG(Republic and Capitol Nash), and since they come from different divisions of UMB maybe they had more push power, idk just a random theory.

Smokyiiis

Country radio is an absolute disgusting mess for women. Reminds me of joke:
Q: What do you get when you play country music backwards?
A: You get back your wife, your dog and your truck.

That's the MEN OF COUNTRY MUSIC. Just UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

CarrieAddicted

I'm not talking just about radio, they never put CP in any big playlist in Spotify so the streaming was non existent, they never put a banner in itunes for the single and now they let it peak at #6 when just some weeks ago they give Keith a two weeks push..
Don't call it a flop if you don't want but it was a underperformance and a big underperfomance for Carrie freaking Underwood!

EXACTLY!!

UMG also wrongly released CP on a freaking Wednesday!!! I’ll never forgive that!

They, themselves, split all of the song’s first-week sales and streaming, screwing its chart position, causing it to debut and peak at lower #50s on the Hot 100 and #5 on HCS!
That’s a flop for a superstar.

And I had to laugh at some fans defending this pathetic “strategy”, saying “oh, they released it on a Wednesday to ‘align’ the song’s debut on radio”.
REALL??? Well, here’s the result!
A FLOP! Poor sales, poor streaming, poor chart positions and poor performance on the “beloved” country radio.

Well done, UMG!

Kizmet311

Do you all think that the wider, mainstream country audience just really didn't like CP? I hate to generalize a whole base of people that listen to country, because I have been one of those people at times in my life, but it does seem like the mainstream country audience just wants their artists to stay in their little boxes and put out the same kind of music over and over. I mean, even Keith Urban, who is probably one of the progressive men out there has done it VERY gradually and really it still sounds like pretty classic Keith Urban, just maybe a bit poppier. Luke always sounds the same. Kenny. FGL. Jason Aldean's newer music may sound better than some of his more recent stuff, but really it just sounds like the "old" Jason before bro country took over - back when I actually liked Jason's music and he first came out. Do you think that maybe the general, mainstream country music audience just can't deal with a new sound from Carrie? They like maneater Carrie and inspirational Carrie, but they aren't used to a more emotional, introspective Carrie, so they didn't get on board with CP? It's just speculation on my part, but country music, more than any other genre, I think, likes it's artists to stay in their lane.

Personally, I'm all for artists evolving and staying fresh/progressive, otherwise they end up like poor Brad Paisley and the schtick wears off eventually.

Smokyiiis

EXACTLY!!

UMG also wrongly released CP on a freaking Wednesday!!! I’ll never forgive that!

They, themselves, split all of the song’s first-week sales and streaming, screwing its chart position, causing it to debut and peak at lower #50s on the Hot 100 and #5 on HCS!
That’s a flop for a superstar.

And I had to laugh at some fans defending this pathetic “strategy”, saying “oh, they released it on a Wednesday to ‘align’ the song’s debut on radio”.
REALL??? Well, here’s the result!
A FLOP! Poor sales, poor streaming, poor chart positions and poor performance on the “beloved” country radio.

Well done, UMG!

I am upset as well, especially as the lead single from an album in the making for 3 years. All we can do is pray they learned their lesson from this one and take the next ones TO THE TOP WHERE THEY STAY FOR WEEKS AND WEEKS over the weak music the men have been producing.

Please don’t say that Simon. You cannot call a single anywhere in the top ten ‘a flop’ and least of all a top 6.

ok I know you/we are all use to the Carrie standard number 1’s and anything less than that is a bit of a disappointment.....but a ‘flop’? NEVER!

Most artists would just love to have even a sliver of Carrie’s radio success or just a song on radio period!!A lot of artists would love to have a song in the top 10 because to them,that isn’t considered a flop,it’s actually considered a success that they got their songs on the charts & on the radio!!And considering that she’s been consistently putting hits put for 13 years & not missing a beat,top 6 really is not that bad.You may be used to Carrie’s standard #1’s & anything less is a disappointment to anyone,like I’ve said before,top 10 & Top 6 is not that bad!!None of those chart positions should even be considered a flop,a flop would be if the song hadn’t charted at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CU4ever

I am upset as well, especially as the lead single from an album in the making for 3 years. All we can do is pray they learned their lesson from this one and take the next ones TO THE TOP WHERE THEY STAY FOR WEEKS AND WEEKS over the weak music the men have been producing.

I fully believe UMG realizes they messed up hence the desperate push to make the peak not so low. I also believe as a result of this they will make sure they can get LW as many weeks as possible at #1 (similar to WB did with Blake on his follow up single to SGAWW after it broke his streak)

rcramer

^^^ that's what makes us all human. It's over now, so hopefully, the new song will over shadow what happened to CP run.......

LW seems like it is going to be killer..... So looking forward to new music..... CP will still remain one of my all time favorites of Carrie's..... I do hope it does very well with awards...... So Grammy worthy........

Do you all think that the wider, mainstream country audience just really didn't like CP? I hate to generalize a whole base of people that listen to country, because I have been one of those people at times in my life, but it does seem like the mainstream country audience just wants their artists to stay in their little boxes and put out the same kind of music over and over. I mean, even Keith Urban, who is probably one of the progressive men out there has done it VERY gradually and really it still sounds like pretty classic Keith Urban, just maybe a bit poppier. Luke always sounds the same. Kenny. FGL. Jason Aldean's newer music may sound better than some of his more recent stuff, but really it just sounds like the "old" Jason before bro country took over - back when I actually liked Jason's music and he first came out. Do you think that maybe the general, mainstream country music audience just can't deal with a new sound from Carrie? They like maneater Carrie and inspirational Carrie, but they aren't used to a more emotional, introspective Carrie, so they didn't get on board with CP? It's just speculation on my part, but country music, more than any other genre, I think, likes it's artists to stay in their lane.

Personally, I'm all for artists evolving and staying fresh/progressive, otherwise they end up like poor Brad Paisley and the schtick wears off eventually.

It just wasn’t like any of the songs that she’s put out in the past in subject matter or in lyrical content.I have to imagine that when the song was sent out,radio programmers had no idea on what to do with this song seeing as it wasn’t a normal song time,lyrical content or a subject matter that is played on country radio very often,if at all.This is just not a sound that people are used to hearing from Carrie on the radio because it’s unconventional in every way from the subject matter & lyrics of the song to the songs length which probably doesn’t get played that often on country radio.They were so used to maneater Carrie & inspirational Carrie,that this introspective & emotional side to Carrie came as a shock to a lot of them because it just isn’t a side of Carrie that she’s ever shown that much in her own music.They probably knew the risks when they put CP out as the first single because it’s not like her past songs,the lyrical content was different & the songs length were all a huge risk but they did it anyways because they wanted to be different & take a risk & see what could happen.Did it pay off?Probably not in the way they thought it would but at least she tried something different that nobody had probably heard that much on country radio before.Some artists stay the same because it’s all they’ve known is to put out the same type of music with the same lyrics because it’s what’s always worked for them,so why fix it if it isn’t broken?They don’t know any different so they stay stagnant & stay the same & never take any creative risks with their musical choices or their music.That’s why almost every song on country radio sounds the same because if the formulas worked for them so far,why even change it if it doesn’t need to be changed?That’s probably why most of why Luke’s,Jason’s & FGLs music sounds the same because they themselves feel that the lane they’re in is perfectly fine & nothing needs to be changed.But if they don’t change,they will end up like Brad Paisley & the schtick will wear off when people get tired of hearing bro country & want to hear something else other than that.I don’t know if what I said made any sense but I hope it did in the point I was trying to get across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk