Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Dec 5] The Sound of Music Live! (Official Discussion Thread)

rainbow1

Buble said it very succinctly! I believe Carrie would like it, and laugh! In one fell swoop, he commended her courage...and he put the critics in there place, and reminded people how hard it is to create something!! By using that word...it put emphasis to his statement!

sco

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with what he said. Not everybody will respond to something the same way.

Seems MB has a lot of respect for Carrie, and it's nice to see. He's quite talented himself.

There really wasn't anything wrong with what Michael Buble said, and he clearly meant well. He used a very common slang expression. I just happen to find that expression kind of crass and if you think about the actual words it makes no sense when referring to a woman. I'm sorry if my comment started something. Let's just leave it as he respects her courage :).

pklongbeach

Interesting article addressing those who said Audra should not have been cast as Mother Abbess.

Sorry Haters. A Black Nun Does Belong in Broadway?s ?Sound of Music? - COLORLINES

I appreciate this history lesson.
especially when I was one of the first to point out a year ago, that hiring a country singer to play Maria was no more far fetched than having a black Mother Abess.
Obviously I meant no offense in my original statement, as I am a huge fan of Audras talent and was well aware of her long before this production. But just pointing out the irony that people were so insulted with the choice to pick Carrie with no comment about the choice of Audra.

Alas, and so I learned a lesson. Turns out it was very possible and therefore still very accurate. And luckily cause I loved her in the role and would have rathered no one but her to do it.
But also that there are people who will choose to jump on something just to shed light on their own ignorance and intolerance.

Oh well, I am happy to know that yet another criticism of the production has been debunked!

carebear4eva

Lmao, I think it's a long-established trend that the women of country music have MUCH bigger balls than the men. Examine the last few singles released by country's biggest women (BA, TBC, SYA, AKOK, FYA, Over You) and compare that with the men's past singles (can't name them, but I imagine trucks, beer, tailgates, and Friday night might show up every now and then).

And this is why Florida Georgia Line is clearly country's most pathblazing and innovative act in decades, because they sang about drinking whiskey instead of beer in Round Here. Such genius, so ahead of their times :'(

pklongbeach

Lmao, I think it's a long-established trend that the women of country music have MUCH bigger balls than the men. Examine the last few singles released by country's biggest women (BA, TBC, SYA, AKOK, FYA, Over You) and compare that with the men's past singles (can't name them, but I imagine trucks, beer, tailgates, and Friday night might show up every now and then).

And this is why Florida Georgia Line is clearly country's most pathblazing and innovative act in decades, because they sang about drinking whiskey instead of beer in Round Here. Such genius, so ahead of their times :'(

Amzing insight.

And still these women scrap and scrape to get a foothold. While Blake Shelton tells another story about how he doesn't give a rats A** about any other nominees, as long as he is on the list......

I hate myself sometimes for knowing so much about these people...

pkc4rls

Interesting article addressing those who said Audra should not have been cast as Mother Abbess.

Sorry Haters. A Black Nun Does Belong in Broadway?s ?Sound of Music? - COLORLINES

Honestly, I doubt some of those critical of that even cared if it was possible or not possible back then - all they saw is that it did not happen in the original Sound of Music movie so that made it bad regardless - as if every single other thing in the movie was historically and/or factually accurate.

Last edited:

Mirasa45A

Honestly, I doubt some of those critical of that even cared if it was possible or not possible back then - all they saw is that it did not happen in the original Sound of Music movie so that made it bad regardless - as if everything else they did in the movie was historically and factually based.

YES, I agree with you. Some / many people think that the MOVIE "The Sound of Music" is 100 % accurate but it is NOT 100 % accurate !

txacar

This expression is commonly used in business, as well, especially when women were attempting to put a few cracks in the glass ceiling. I'm sure my manager had the biggest balls in the oil industry. Her strength, intelligence and knowledge were on a par with most male managers, but she made decisions that many super ambitious males would never dare to even think about.

Great compliment to Carrie. She took on a project that few male (or female) mega stars would even consider (even Julie Andrews, herself) -- put herself out there for the joy of the experience and love of the music. Brave girl!! Michael Buble said it all.

Pi314CA

There really wasn't anything wrong with what Michael Buble said, and he clearly meant well. He used a very common slang expression. I just happen to find that expression kind of crass and if you think about the actual words it makes no sense when referring to a woman. I'm sorry if my comment started something. Let's just leave it as he respects her courage :).

This expression is commonly used in business, as well, especially when women were attempting to put a few cracks in the glass ceiling. I'm sure my manager had the biggest balls in the oil industry. Her strength, intelligence and knowledge were on a par with most male managers, but she made decisions that many super ambitious males would never dare to even think about.

Great compliment to Carrie. She took on a project that few male (or female) mega stars would even consider (even Julie Andrews, herself) -- put herself out there for the joy of the experience and love of the music. Brave girl!! Michael Buble said it all.

Indeed this term is commonly used, especially in a startup business environment. I worked in that kind of environment in the late '80's where there were about 40 people. The term "balls to the walls" was used to mean go all-out, practically no matter what. It involves tons of courage and intelligence, but also foresight as to achieving an excellent outcome... and in the midst of critics, peers, shareholders, etc.

Carrie definitely took on a huge undertaking as the star in the SOML, that has humungous comparisons, expectations, implications, etc. And Carrie had the foresight and muster to achieve an excellent outcome that will last for years/decades to come!

By the way, an example of a "big balls" decision that lack foresight/intelligence (at least for this particular deal) was Hewlett-Packard buying out Compaq. Billions of dollars down the drain.

Carrieflattsfan

Lmao, I think it's a long-established trend that the women of country music have MUCH bigger balls than the men.
Examine the last few singles released by country's biggest women (BA, TBC, SYA, AKOK, FYA, Over You) and compare that with the men's past singles (can't name them, but I imagine trucks, beer, tailgates, and Friday night might show up every now and then).

Absolutely agree. Many critics have taken it upon themselves recently to point out the fact that women have been more adventerous than the men in country music lately.

Kellie Pickler, Danielle Bradbury and Casadee Pope could also be added to the list of females releasing great material as well.

I've often wondered if the females are taking it upon themselves to release gutsy music because they're hoping it'll help them breakthrough faster. Unfortunately, females in country music don't seem to have the luxury of releasing anything to radio, so they may take it upon themselves to be more selective.

The male artists keep releasing the same drivel about trucks, cars, and beer; it's a formula for the men now.

The double standard that exists among men and women in country music is, IMO, most apparent in country music. The struggle females have to breakthrough and continue having hits is ridiculous. It's almost insulting that the men can waste their careers on throwaway singles once they breakthrough, but the females never have that same security.

I wish fans would altogether stop supporting these guys putting out the same junk, because if it wasn't selling, there would be no market.

I think Carrie was truly lucky to come along when she did, and make the statement she did with her talent/impact right off the bat.

The longer I've been a country music fan, the more I've realized how increasingly difficult it is for females, and how impressive Carrie's impact and longevity has been thus far. There really hasn't been any female who has inspired the kind of loyalty and passion that Carrie has; for whatever reason, she is the one female artist who can keep fans behind her.

IMO, nobody in country music has inspired the loyalty/staying power Carrie has. I think the male artists on top right now are simply releasing singles that they feel will appeal to what the public wants; based on quality, the staying power won't keep them at the top forever. I just don't think these guys have the material/personalities to keep themselves on top the way Carrie has, and even the females with fantastic material cannot compete with her.

Carrie's impact is all the more amazing when she's compared to her peers.

JenuineC

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with what he said. Not everybody will respond to something the same way.

Seems MB has a lot of respect for Carrie, and it's nice to see. He's quite talented himself.

Which reminds me of his reaction when they were singing "For Once In My Life" on Oprah together. He gave that lean back i-am-impressed look when Carrie pulled off her verse so well. Forever remember that.

maddkat

Staff member
Which reminds me of his reaction when they were singing "For Once In My Life" on Oprah together. He gave that lean back i-am-impressed look when Carrie pulled off her verse so well. Forever remember that.

this one
yoWXWex.gif

I thought he was going to get whiplash,lol

epicamends

It probably would not have aired without Carrie.

Exactly. I still see theatre folks on tumblr or twitter saying they hope a Broadway actor/actress gets cast in the lead role of whatever musical NBC chooses to do next year. They don't seem to understand that in order for these shows to continue they need to be a success, therefore they need good ratings. I'm sorry, but a relatively unknown Broadway actor is not going to bring in half the ratings someone like Carrie can.

DizzyDollyDee

I feel like all I've done is defend our gal for her role - the averge viewer just doesn't get it - they watch, they see, they hear and thats all they care about. They don't have a clue what it took for her to take on the part, what she did to make it her own and like everyone has said, it would never have aired without someone like Carrie performing it. The terrible fact with many of them is they still don't want to hear what I have to say as they think I'm just the Carrie fanatic, which I am, but all they think about is Julie and the movie - so frustrating. Yes, I wish there were more HEADLINES defending and explaining Carrie and her take on the role - no one seems to read all these critiques but us fans!!

teesharky

Exactly. I still see theatre folks on tumblr or twitter saying they hope a Broadway actor/actress gets cast in the lead role of whatever musical NBC chooses to do next year. They don't seem to understand that in order for these shows to continue they need to be a success, therefore they need good ratings. I'm sorry, but a relatively unknown Broadway actor is not going to bring in half the ratings someone like Carrie can.

Maybe that is exactly why they should cast a no name Broadway star next year. lol The ratings will be so poor compared to Carrie's-- that it will vindicate Carrie in every way. haha

Yes, I am evil sometimes. lol

gwade82

She was also very sick when she did that.