Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ghost Story chart updates

CU4ever

Patiently waiting for top twenty conversions so we can have better a week. So weird to have these updates after last week’s updates & all the news of how well it’s testing

Reactions: Hil

Zach1998

I don't think it's being held back; when Southbound was it was more obvious, I think this is just a slower week. Nothing to be worried about. I know Capitol plans on maxing Keith's "Wild Hearts" next week, so that could effect GS potentially.

Friendly reminder there's a new survey today on Rate The Music, Ghost Story is on it and it'd be beneficial to the callouts if it was ranked good.

FanSince04

Odd updated this week for sure, but last week were odd updates too. I recall CP stalling at #17 for the longest 😂 Maybe #21 will be where GS stalls for a bit 🤷🏻‍♂️

PRGuy79

I'm trying not to be pessimistic, but I can't help but worry that the label expected this song to be performing better with only two weeks until the album drops. The languishing in chart placement in the 20's and the stalled-out streaming (including YouTube video views) is concerning to me. With Cry Pretty, the label was pushing the single aggressively right before album release and got it as high as #9 before they pulled the plug and began transitioning to the second single; however, the Cry Pretty single was released a full 4 months before the album and the window between Ghost Story's release and the album drop is much shorter this time. Typically, you want a single peaking or at least surging when the album drops, which would suggest the label is not deliberately holding it back. Not sure what to think...

adam1995

I'm trying not to be pessimistic, but I can't help but worry that the label expected this song to be performing better with only two weeks until the album drops. The languishing in chart placement in the 20's and the stalled-out streaming (including YouTube video views) is concerning to me. With Cry Pretty, the label was pushing the single aggressively right before album release and got it as high as #9 before they pulled the plug and began transitioning to the second single; however, the Cry Pretty single was released a full 4 months before the album and the window between Ghost Story's release and the album drop is much shorter this time. Typically, you want a single peaking or at least surging when the album drops, which would suggest the label is not deliberately holding it back. Not sure what to think...
I think the bolded part answers your own question. There was a longer time for CP to rise up the chart before the album came out. In an era when chart runs are slower we can't expect songs to be top 5 or higher in a few months anymore for most artists.

Zach1998

Yeah on top of Cry Pretty having a longer time to climb the chart until the album released, chart runs have gotten even longer since then. The new normal for a female country song now is 6-7 months to climb the chart, unless it's a smash like IIDLY. I don't think the label will drop GS, it would be a bad decision if they did since it's connecting on callouts. While it's not streaming or selling all that well, it having good callouts almost gives radio a golden ticket to play it. Especially when the other two female songs on the chart above it (Maren & Miranda) are testing not all that well, thus giving radio an incentive to spin GS over the others.