Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason's Critics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrieflattsfan

Is this seriously happening?

Some of the people around here REALLY need to take a long look at themselves in the mirror and get over themselves. Believe it or not, you CAN be a fan(HUGE fan) of an artist and not blindly think that everything they do is beyond being questioned. I personally haven't been a huge fan of ANY single Carrie's released since Temporary Home. Can't say I've hated them, but they were far from my favorites. But that doesn't mean I don't support her and love her. But I'm sure I'm about to get blasted for that opinion since most here think that any opinion other than she's perfect and always right is wrong......

Amen.

I honestly feel like 85% of the regular posters get so worked up over nothing whenever Carrie isn't lavishly praised or when she's criticized. Even when something positive is happening, someone always seems to have something negative to say.

I respect that we're all fans of Carrie, and we love her. Generally, I really enjoy it here. But, I feel like it's so divided between those of us that think Carrie can do no wrong, and those of fans that love and support Carrie, but aren't willing to blindly support her or say everything she does is perfect. Carrie is HUMAN and she makes mistakes; she understands not everyone will love everything she does, and that's OK.

I have open admitted I'm not a huge fan of a lot of Carrie's material, but that DOESN'T mean I don't love, respect and support any less than anyone here. Tom is basically stating the same thing, and I'm glad someone spoke out on this.

This is a message board for Carrie, and we should support a wide range of opinions and tastes.

I posted this earlier, but I think this thread in particular got way out of hand, and we should not have treated Jason, someone who loves and supports Carrie as much as any of us, that way. He has an opinion, and he expressed it. I stated I thought some of you DID go too far and were taking this too seriously, but almost everyone in this thread had the opposite opinion, so it didn't seem to matter much.

Some of you were out for blood, and I don't think there's any reason that needs to happen in an environment like this. I've heard stories of many fans leaving the board because they don't like the way that so many people here attack other people who don't worship Carrie. There are ways to engage in a healthy debate without being nasty, and I think attacking someone's character or motives and saying that the person in question was attacking the artists character when we know that did not happen is just uncalled for. IMO, some people here just look for negativity and things to nitpick, and it can get old.

Bottom line is, we ALL support and love Carrie just as much as the next person, but there's really no reason for anybody to be nasty or immature. Everybody deserves to be respected for their opinion, but we don't (and shouldn't), all like the same things. It's life.

Schrodinger

So when Jason likes things that Carrie does he gets praised for it but when he doesn't the torches and pitchforks come out, hmmm ok.

I think the topic is done. But I want to make clear, I was not upset at Jason for his not liking SYA, it was his attack on Carrie's faith and mine. So please don't make it about Jason not liking SYA. He wrote:

and suffers from vague references and melodramatic sentiment, coming across as a pandering attempt to the religious sect of the Country music listening audience. Even the chanting "oh-oh-oh"s seem forced and out of place on an Underwood track, begging the question the motives for releasing such a slanted song. Compared to previously released drippy ballad "Temporary Home," off 2009's Play On, this entry simply exists in the diminished aftermath of the predecessor's ghost.

This is has nothing to do with a musical analysis and criticism of the song. It demeans Carrie's character and faith. It is also an attack on the song that Carrie wrote and is most proud of, TH. As a member of that terrible religious sect of the Country music audience I take his attack very personally. Further, as I have posted before, in the form of a draft of the letter I wrote to Carrie, TH & Carrie & Mike's witness had a huge impact on my life. What Jason wrote was petty and hurtful.

Do you really want to defend this language?

JB172

Schrodinger this goes for you and everyone else who is bashing Jason, if Jason does not like this song or that song that Carrie does, Jason is allowed to say so, it's NOT an opinion it's a FACT that if Jason would have song the praises for SYA the same people who are ripping him would be slapping him on the back and go on & on about how wonderful Jason is when writes glowing stories about Carrie, he could have used better words to express what he wanted to say but Jason is a freelancer who does not have to worship everything that Carrie sings.

Ann055

I haven't posted at all on this subject until now and this is all I will say on the matter. I realize we don't all like everything Carrie does and everyone is free to post their opinions here and no one should be called names ever!!!!! With that being said, Jason was very angry about this single being released -- he is entitled to feel that way and more power to him. However, to not wait just a little bit until he wasn't so angry to write that review including this:

..."suffers from vague references and melodramatic sentiment, coming across as a pandering attempt to the religious sect of the Country music listening audience" --

Carrie doesn't PANDER to ANYONE in my opinion - she sings what she loves -- he should just have been up front & said he doesn't like songs with religious overtones -- that would have made the article completely different because then it would be apparent in that quote exactly why he believes she is making a pandering attempt to the religious sect of the Country music listening audience. If you're going to express your opinion in a review (as all critics do) it would certainly be nice to just say, I don't like her or I don't like religious overtones or she's too pop or whatever any critic is really saying. In this case, it certainly would have been accepted more here on this board if he would have just been truthful and he is well aware with his knowledge of Carrie and her faith, this song isn't an unusual one for her to release.

Regarding Carrie not pushing any boundaries or making career-changing risks or making bold choices...that is fine...that is Jason's opinion - but in my opinion, Carrie has been taking career-changing risks and making bold choices.

In any event, this article came across as angry -- just like his posts did here as soon as SYA was announced as a single. As he said, he's a critic first and a fan second and that is perfectly fine, however first on this Carrie Fan board, he posted his anger at this song being released (which I guess he has now deleted) and then wrote an angry review...just doesn't sit well with a lot of us.

Schrodinger

Schrodinger this goes for you and everyone else who is bashing Jason, if Jason does not like this song or that song that Carrie does, Jason is allowed to say so, it's NOT an opinion it's a FACT that if Jason would have song the praises for SYA the same people who are ripping him would be slapping him on the back and go on & on about how wonderful Jason is when writes glowing stories about Carrie, he could have used better words to express what he wanted to say but Jason is a freelancer who does not have to worship everything that Carrie sings.

I'm not sure how to make this any clearer. It is NOT that Jason didn't like SYA it is the what he said in the quote I posted. If Jason had just reviewed the song and given it a two out of five I wouldn't have said a thing. You seem to be defending what he said, it is not just a matter of "better words" he is playing the critic. He is an adult and a writer, he knew damn well what he was writing. His religious bigotry is insulting in the extreme and his accusations that Carrie was pandering and questioned her motives inn releasing such a "slanted" song is nothing short of character assassination!!!! So I'm going to call you on this, do you or do you not think that his comments were in anyway acceptable? Please try to defend his language, I dare you.

SomeHearts12

I haven't posted at all on this subject until now and this is all I will say on the matter. I realize we don't all like everything Carrie does and everyone is free to post their opinions here and no one should be called names ever!!!!! With that being said, Jason was very angry about this single being released -- he is entitled to feel that way and more power to him. However, to not wait just a little bit until he wasn't so angry to write that review including this:

..."suffers from vague references and melodramatic sentiment, coming across as a pandering attempt to the religious sect of the Country music listening audience" --

Carrie doesn't PANDER to ANYONE in my opinion - she sings what she loves -- he should just have been up front & said he doesn't like songs with religious overtones -- that would have made the article completely different because then it would be apparent in that quote exactly why he believes she is making a pandering attempt to the religious sect of the Country music listening audience. If you're going to express your opinion in a review (as all critics do) it would certainly be nice to just say, I don't like her or I don't like religious overtones or she's too pop or whatever any critic is really saying. In this case, it certainly would have been accepted more here on this board if he would have just been truthful and he is well aware with his knowledge of Carrie and her faith, this song isn't an unusual one for her to release.

Regarding Carrie not pushing any boundaries or making career-changing risks or making bold choices...that is fine...that is Jason's opinion - but in my opinion, Carrie has been taking career-changing risks and making bold choices.

In any event, this article came across as angry -- just like his posts did here as soon as SYA was announced as a single. As he said, he's a critic first and a fan second and that is perfectly fine, however first on this Carrie Fan board, he posted his anger at this song being released (which I guess he has now deleted) and then wrote an angry review...just doesn't sit well with a lot of us.

I'm not sure how to make this any clearer. It is NOT that Jason didn't like SYA it is the what he said in the quote I posted. If Jason had just reviewed the song and given it a two out of five I wouldn't have said a thing. You seem to be defending what he said, it is not just a matter of "better words" he is playing the critic. He is an adult and a writer, he knew damn well what he was writing. His religious bigotry is insulting in the extreme and his accusations that Carrie was pandering and questioned her motives inn releasing such a "slanted" song is nothing short of character assassination!!!! So I'm going to call you on this, do you or do you not think that his comments were in anyway acceptable? Please try to defend his language, I dare you.

Well said. I agree 100%

JB172

Schrodinger, IF that is how Jason feels that is how Jason feels and I think it is total crap the way people have gone after him, despite WHAT you think I am NOT defending what he said what I AM saying and let me make it CLEAR to that YOU that if Jason feels that so be it, if you don't like what he or anyone has to say use the damn ignore feature.

Ann055

Well said. I agree 100%

While you agree with my post, you have been one here who has used some very bad language here in response to others posts (I'm not sure about Jason on this particular issue), but on other threads -- and I DO NOT CONDONE THAT AT ALL! It is not what we do here on this board. And I hope you haven't been calling Jason names on twitter -- NO ONE deserves to be called mean names, period...

We are a dysfunctional family who love Carrie on this Board and while we may not agree, name-calling is totally unnecessary.

With that being said, I don't believe I welcomed you to CF, so now I am! :)

Schrodinger

Schrodinger, IF that is how Jason feels that is how Jason feels and I think it is total crap the way people have gone after him, despite WHAT you think I am NOT defending what he said what I AM saying and let me make it CLEAR to that YOU that if Jason feels that so be it, if you don't like what he or anyone has to say use the damn ignore feature.

Really, that's the best you have? You are simply ignoring the issue. Does Jason have a right to say what he said, sure, but a lot of us are offended and have a right to call him on it, or did they give up teaching what the 1st Amendment means where you went to school? I would also like to thank you for enlightening me, I didn't know there was an ignore feature for the entire internet. You mean I can push a button and no one will see his very public review? Last time I checked, intolerance like that displayed by Jason is usually considered unacceptable by most people. While I have no problem with gay marriage how do you think Jason would feel if I posted a bunch of homophobic tripe. Would you defend me? Tell Jason to use the ignore feature? You know, the one that lets you ignore publicly posted statements.

Schrodinger

JB172 - Oh and nice visitor message you just posted saying "This site is just filled with whineasses." Wow, personal attacks and name calling... hypocrite much?

SomeHearts12

While you agree with my post, you have been one here who has used some very bad language here in response to others posts (I'm not sure about Jason on this particular issue), but on other threads -- and I DO NOT CONDONE THAT AT ALL! It is not what we do here on this board. And I hope you haven't been calling Jason names on twitter -- NO ONE deserves to be called mean names, period...

We are a dysfunctional family who love Carrie on this Board and while we may not agree, name-calling is totally unnecessary.

With that being said, I don't believe I welcomed you to CF, so now I am! :)

I agree that he has the right to give his critiques/opinions. However, after making such remarks, he should not have been surprised by the outrage/disapproval from Carrie fans.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

thaifood

I personally don't give a rip about what Jason likes or doesn't like, frankly I have had many issues with him, his writing & his opinions. What I don't agree with is all the times over the past couple of years (since he has gotten his column & began to cover all things Carrie) he has been allowed to bask in the glow of all the folks on here telling him how great he is & how much they liked what he wrote. But, the first & to my memory, the only time people have taken him to task, he folds his tents & exits the camp ground in a fit of indignation. That, to me, reeks of the spoiled, self entitled attitude that so many around here, myself included, want to slather on Taylor Swift. As I said when all this stuff began, if that's the way he wants to conduct himself & evidently it is, then I won't miss him. And, you know me well JB, so you have to know that I can't & won't ignore him or anyone else when I disagree with them.

Ann055

I agree that he has the right to give his critiques/opinions. However, after making such remarks, he should not have been surprised by the outrage/disapproval from Carrie fans.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

You missed the entire point of my post to you -- whatever.

And, you were the one who called Jason disgusting names on twitter -- I can only say, in my opinion, that is horrible -- disagreeing is one thing and saying reasons why is one thing and being disappointed is one thing, however being called disgusting names is a different story. I have absolutely no control over twitter, nor does anyone...but what you said is -- there are no words -- if either of my children or my grandchildren spoke to ANYONE the way you did to Jason on twitter, I would have their a$$.

If you can't speak to someone, anyone in a civil manner w/o hurling disgusting names at them...maybe you should take a look at your own self.

You've called people names on this Board too...

So here goes...ignore

carrieguy2

thank you! :)

cassie2

Staff member
Wow! Just wow! I've been logged in, but unfortunately not on the site. Receiving all kinds of PM's regarding this "topic". I appreciate everyone on this site and their right to have an opinion, however, as always things have become so out of control. I might suggest that everyone use the "PM" feature to battle this out....if you must. There is no valid reason that this forum should have 2 pages of arguments on any topic nontheless what Carrie's next single will be and what anyones thoughts are in regards to her choice. Talk amongst yourselves, but please do it through PM in regards to this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.