Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maren Morris

So after hearing all you guys going nuts over how great she is, I decided to listen to her EP on Spotify. And WOW, she's just all kinds of good! My favorite is definitely 80s Mercedes, followed by My Curch and Drunk Girls Don't Cry. I also really like I Wish I Was and Company You Keep. Ireally really hope she's successful because she's great!

maddkat

Staff member
^ My Church is destined for #1. It's just so great.
The big question will be what does her follow up do.I hope they pick wisely.

JB172

I was really happy to see her get the sales boost she did after My Church was sung on AI the other night.

Kizmet311

I will have to see if her EP is on Amazon Prime. If it is, I will give it a listen. So far, I've only listened to My Church once and my initial reaction was that she was good, but not out of this world good. I think I said it in another thread before. After just one listen to that song, I would place her above Kacey Musgraves and below artists like Ashley Monroe/Miranda who I feel are from the same "style" of country. For new females, I would still place Cam and (don't shoot me, Donna) Kelsea above her, but I have listened to both of their full albums multiple times, so it probably isn't a fair comparison.

xboom28x

Who has listened to Hero? This album is fantastic!! Once is the most amazing song I have heard in a long, long time!

Farawayhills

For a lady still in her mid twenties, she's been active in music for a long time. "Hero" is her fourth album - and her first, cut when she was 14, is still available on Amazon UK. Her experience tells in her writing (every track on Hero is a co-write) and in the extent to which she's prepared to be an individualist in her choice of song themes and musical lines. In my opinion, she's the most interesting of the Sony Group's (her first major outlet's) new hopes.

For some Country fans, "Hero" may prove too General Music influenced - you could either call its main direction predominantly Pop in production, or predominantly Progressive Alt Country, depending on your listening preferences. But certainly, on this album, I'd say she's been noticeably less concerned than either Carrie or Miranda to include clear Country references in her work on most tracks. ("I Could Use a Love Song", which she co-wrote with Laura Veltz and Jimmie Robbins, is one of the few exceptions). This ties the album into the cross genre feel that's much to the fore in the current format - but I would say it's definitely one of the best of that type - and one which retains an innovative and personal style, rather than being derivative and trend-chasing.

Maren has also had a cut on the Brothers Osborne's album, and these two impressive songs on the TV "Nashville" series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWF7BxeN-Po

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aZv3k1gPmE

Last edited:

xboom28x

I Could Use A Love Song is another wonderful song on this album. I didn't believe the hype in Nashville at first regarding Maren. But after listening to Hero, I am a believer! She's incredible and I can't wait to see her open for Keith Urban and Brett Eldredge in November!!

Kizmet311

I will have to come back to this thread later to give a more full fledged review, but I have listened to Hero a few times now. It's on Amazon Prime, so good for me, I guess that I can listen for free. My first impression of the album was much like my first impression of Maren when I heard My Church the first time - not sure I like her voice that much and that I'm not sure I like her style of music. After hearing My Church, though, it began to grow on me and you can't help but sing along to the chorus. The same has happened with Hero. The more I listen, the more I like it. The tone of her voice is probably a little more robust/dark than what I usually gravitate towards in a female artist, but I do like her music. I do feel like if this were the 90s, she would be on pop radio alongside Sheryl Crow and not on country, but Sheryl's style is as much country as anything else out there these days. I agree with a lot of what Faraway has said regarding Maren's progressive style and she does it better than most of the guys that are just trying to copy Luke and Jason. I do think Sam Hunt (like him or not) and Thomas Rhett are kind of paving their own way and Maren is kind of the female side of that coin. But I will reiterate, while what she is doing is progressive for country, is it much different than what Sheryl was doing 20 years ago?

Anyway, I like the album and I will be happy to see Maren have success in the country industry. It would be deserved if she can keep up with radio airplay and sales. I like her miles better than Brandy and Kacey - I just can't find it in myself to like their music even though I've tried to listen to it. I just hope that everyone here is still supportive of Maren when/if she starts winning FVOTY and awards that they feel Carrie should be winning. I remember a time when people on this board LOVED Miranda, before Blake and the winning streak. The only difference here is that Maren is not with WME, so with the current tide, she may not be able to win.

xboom28x

I will have to come back to this thread later to give a more full fledged review, but I have listened to Hero a few times now. It's on Amazon Prime, so good for me, I guess that I can listen for free. My first impression of the album was much like my first impression of Maren when I heard My Church the first time - not sure I like her voice that much and that I'm not sure I like her style of music. After hearing My Church, though, it began to grow on me and you can't help but sing along to the chorus. The same has happened with Hero. The more I listen, the more I like it. The tone of her voice is probably a little more robust/dark than what I usually gravitate towards in a female artist, but I do like her music. I do feel like if this were the 90s, she would be on pop radio alongside Sheryl Crow and not on country, but Sheryl's style is as much country as anything else out there these days. I agree with a lot of what Faraway has said regarding Maren's progressive style and she does it better than most of the guys that are just trying to copy Luke and Jason. I do think Sam Hunt (like him or not) and Thomas Rhett are kind of paving their own way and Maren is kind of the female side of that coin. But I will reiterate, while what she is doing is progressive for country, is it much different than what Sheryl was doing 20 years ago?

Anyway, I like the album and I will be happy to see Maren have success in the country industry. It would be deserved if she can keep up with radio airplay and sales. I like her miles better than Brandy and Kacey - I just can't find it in myself to like their music even though I've tried to listen to it. I just hope that everyone here is still supportive of Maren when/if she starts winning FVOTY and awards that they feel Carrie should be winning. I remember a time when people on this board LOVED Miranda, before Blake and the winning streak. The only difference here is that Maren is not with WME, so with the current tide, she may not be able to win.

I had the same reaction with Hero. The more I listened, the more I loved. In fact, a perfect example is 80's Mercedes. First time I heard it I didn't care for it much. But after 3 or 4 listens, it grew on me. Now, I can't wait for radio to play it (she has announced it as the next single). Once, Second Wind and I Could Use A Love Song are great songs! I hope each make it to radio. She's talented. No doubt about it. Her and Kelsea are starting to bring women back to the top of country music.

Caitlin2010

I've been listening to Hero every day for the past week... I enjoy her voice and I love that all the songs are so realistic and you can relate to them.

Kizmet311

I'm still not ready to do a full review, but I'll just reiterate what I said earlier. Call me a believer, I guess. The more I listen to Hero, the more I love it. It really is an excellent album. Her voice took a little getting used to for me, but it suits the songs she sings well and they are great songs. Congrats Maren on a job well done!

Kizmet311

I think I may be going to see her next Friday! So excited! She, Cam, Kacey, and Eric Church are performing at Lexington's Red, White & Boom music festival (used to be a 4th of July event, now they've morphed it into a Labor Day music festival). They've lowered the single day ticket price to $40, so I figure $20 each to see Maren and Cam isn't too bad, even though I'm not 100% on how long they each get to perform. I would honestly leave after they are done, but a friend is going with me and she likes Eric so I suppose we'll have to stay until the end. I think I saw something that said Maren would do her own headlining tour next year, so I hope she comes somewhere close enough for me to see her.

The more I listen to Hero, the more I love it. I've actually been listening to it for the last 2-3 days.

Kizmet311

I have tried to search and find it, but did I read that Maren will be doing a headlining tour next year? I've already hit up one of my friends to go with me if she comes close enough. Seeing her on Friday was wonderful, but 30 minutes just wasn't enough!

Kizmet311

And I also realized while reading Wikipedia yesterday that Target has a deluxe version of Hero with 3 additional songs - one that was on her EP and two others. I hadn't actually bought Hero yet, just been listening on Prime music, but now I think I may have to buy it.