Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maren Morris

Claire2004

So apparently there's been beef between Maren Morris and Kyle Coroneos (Triggerman of Saving Country Music). It all started when Kyle posted this review of The Middle, Maren's pop collab with Zedd and some other people I don't know lol:

It’s a Commercial. It’s a Pop Song. It’s Zedd + Maren Morris in “The Middle”

There's a paragraph in particular on that review that started the argument:

And let me say something else about Maren Morris. She thinks she’s all that. And she ain’t all that. At all. And you can apply that to mean whatever you wish. Maren Morris conducts herself like she is an absolute superstar and hot ****. And she’s not. I’m sorry. There’s no humility, or even dignity. This is supposed to be one of the young woman leaders in country music helping to reshape the paradigm in the format for females, and who is willing to speak her mind in a traditionally stuffy format. But she couldn’t have burned through whatever street cred she accrued from her decent “My Church” debut any faster than she has. At least try to establish yourself a little bit more in country before you pivot to pop. Now country feels like a stepping stone for Morris, though rest assured, she’ll be expecting the genre’s support when she releases a new record, even if just like “The Middle,” her music has nothing sonically akin to country whatsoever.

That paragraph above is mainly what Beverly Keel, a well-respected music journalist, took exception to. This is her blog in reaction:

https://web.facebook.com/beverly.keel.50/posts/10156242679353760?_rdc=1&_rdr

Marissa Moss, a writer for RS, agreed with this:

Marissa R. Moss
Verified account
@MarissaRMoss
FollowFollow
@MarissaRMoss​

A blog recently wrote post about @MarenMorris' new song & attacked her for having no "humility or dignity" for essentially being an adventurous & confident woman. I can't shake it & it's haunted me ever since. Thanks to @bevkeel for putting that feeling into words in this post.

And finally Maren also tweeted her reaction:

MAREN MORRIS
Verified account
@MarenMorris
MoreMAREN MORRIS

Weird concept, but my “humility” is and has always been towards my fans, not some cowardly basement dweller (no disrespect to basements) with a keyboard. Thank you, Marissa & Bev for sticking up for girls who just wanna do their best & not apologize for it.
1f60a.png

SCM's reply to the wave of criticism for his first article:

[URL="https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/notes-from-the-basement-responding-to-claims-of-sexism-in-maren-morris-coverage/"]Notes from the Basement: Responding to Claims of Sexism in Maren Morris Coverage
[/URL]

sco

^^^^
I think there was certainly shades of sexism in the attack on Maren Morris whether it was intentional or not. My biggest problem with the original review and that site in general is the personal attacks and attitude of moral superiority. The whole attitude that ‘traditional’ music and artists are inherently superior to ‘mainstream’ is arrogant and annoying and I simply have no patience for it. Trigger also seems incapable of admitting a mistake. What he should have said was that he didn’t intend it as sexist but the personal attack was inappropriate. He’s danced around it but is unwilling to say it.

^^^^
I think there was certainly shades of sexism in the attack on Maren Morris whether it was intentional or not. My biggest problem with the original review and that site in general is the personal attacks and attitude of moral superiority. The whole attitude that ‘traditional’ music and artists are inherently superior to ‘mainstream’ is arrogant and annoying and I simply have no patience for it. Trigger also seems incapable of admitting a mistake. What he should have said was that he didn’t intend it as sexist but the personal attack was inappropriate. He’s danced around it but is unwilling to say it.

I agree with you on this!!The reviews that I've read on the website are more like personal attacks and an attitude of "your music sucks and I'm going to attack it no matter how much I hurt your feelings". There should be room for all artists and all types of music no matter what genre you're in and to attack people because they think the music is subpar and doesn't deserve to be recognized is truly arrogant. Trigger DOES seem incapable of admitting he makes mistakes because he was arrogant when he attacked Walker Hayes and said he wasn't going to apologize because what he felt justified about him that his music sucked and it was garbage.Walker's music may not be the best music ever made, but that doesn't give Trigger the right to attack it because he hates it so much.The least he could've done was say he was wrong in attacking Maren and that he should've chosen his words better. He isn't better than anyone else because of his opinion!!