Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martina McBride: It Would Be Fantastic To Duet With Carrie Underwood

Carrie&Taylor

How many are actually friends with Carrie in those photos? We know she's friends with Hilary Scott and Lauren. But I would guess everyone is not so friendly with everyone.

GumbyJRH

No one is saying Martina hates Carrie.. but facts are facts here... if you've followed Carrie from Idol.. you know how she felt about Martina.. that was never a secret but Martina did not reach out to Carrie in any way.. THAT is a fact.. no one is reading anything into this..

pgk

Pictures are pretty, but do nothing to support allegations of friendship or dislike. Given the business they are in, it's not so unusual to see artists in the same picture. For me, however, seeing Carrie with Martina for professional engagements (there haven't been many, maybe 3), and always with other artists included I, and I stress the word 'I' have not been able to detect any sense of warmth from MM in general especially towards Carrie (perhaps she is a naturally subdued person). Whatever........ the general vibe i get from Martina as regards Carrie is like a cold north wind. And since Carrie has had the good fortune to insulate herself with her massive success and natural good will, a little cold wind is not likely to do any damage. Carrie let it be known early in her career that MM was the artist she admired and aspired to emulate (vocally). The response/reaction has been lukewarm, at best, for the past 9 years but knowing Carrie's graciousness I have a feeling she would still welcome an MM invite anytime ....in the future.
Doesn't mean I would...but who knows.....

pgk

No one is saying Martina hates Carrie.. but facts are facts here... if you've followed Carrie from Idol.. you know how she felt about Martina.. that was never a secret but Martina did not reach out to Carrie in any way.. THAT is a fact.. no one is reading anything into this..

Sorry to disagree with that last line of yours, but how could I not when you read the posts 'I've made on the subject. :(

judes

Martina's decisions in the last few years have not helped her career - I wonder if this Kelly/Martina duet will help either - Martina doesn't do well on radio anymore and Kelly hasn't to date without a radio friendly duet partner - by herself she did not do well, so I really don't see the advantage Martina got in recording with Kelly - Carrie I would think would have been a much better choice for exposure, I would certainly rather hear Carrie's voice with Martina's than Kelly's as I just don't seem to like Kelly's voice all that much

sco

How many are actually friends with Carrie in those photos? We know she's friends with Hilary Scott and Lauren. But I would guess everyone is not so friendly with everyone.

We all know that it is common to have business associates that we genuinely like and respect that are not personal friends. My impression is that Carrie has a friendly business relationship with most if not all the other artists in her genre. She appears to be close personal friends with only a few of them. I suspect that is true of everybody. There is certainly no expectation or requirement that anybody be friends because they are in the same business only that they be professional and polite which from all accounts they are.

rainbow1

In one of CArrie's last mag interviews, Maybe Redbook....I think I remember her saying, "Martina taught me how to sing".

jptexas

In one of CArrie's last mag interviews, Maybe Redbook....I think I remember her saying, "Martina taught me how to sing".

Of course, she meant figuratively and not literally. It's not like Carrie went to Martina's house and took vocal lessons.

Farawayhills

I don't want to put too much of a damper out for those who'd like to see a duet - but I've watched the video, and she clearly says there are no plans for one, her face didn't exactly light up, and the "fantastic" in her answer struck me as polite rather than anticipatory.

As people have said, though, I don't want to turn that into an assumption of dislike. After all, Carrie has done rather few duets with any other female singers - for all we know, she may herself seldom take the initiative in seeking such collaborations. My fear (not just, and not mainly, in this thread) is that if we, as a fan base, keep jumping to the conclusion that everyone's against Carrie, we risk making her look weak, jealous and over-dependent on other people's approval - none of which is true, but which can, unfortunately, give that impression, if almost every musical thread leads to negative references to other artists.

I know this is somewhat off-topic...but as Martina's the subject of this thread (and I can't think of where else to post it, lol) - hopefully, it may be of interest.

Most of you will remember the excellent CMA Songwriters' series, which Carrie so much enjoyed that she used the format again at the Country Radio Seminar last year. Well, Bob di Piero and Brett James (who both appeared with Carrie) are bringing the series to London, in March, as part of C2C programme of events. This time, though, it will be Martina filling the "headline artist" role. The write-up on the billing is here:
Country 2 Country :: CMA SONGWRITERS SERIES RETURNS TO THE UK

The inclusion of Martina may surprise some, as it's probably fair to say that for much of her career, she was not noted as a songwriter. She has a few earlier cuts - most often with the Warren Brothers, who also collaborated with her recently on "Teenage Daughters" - but it was, in fact, on "Eleven" that she really branched out as a writer, with six cuts in all.

(The exciting news for me is that the duo "Striking Matches" are also part of this event. Some of you probably know them already - they've made several Opry appearances, and have had a number of their songs performed on the TV show "Nashville". )

lolita55

I think I read somewhere that her and Kimberly Perry from the band perry are friends. I do not know if that is true or not though. We all know that her and Brad are friends, they have both said it multiple times. I also think her and dolly are somewhat close.

liz278

I know that Carrie considers Hillary Scott, Kimberly Perry and Jennifer Nettles her friends. I have seen comments on twitter, etc. with them making lunch dates, play dates with their dogs, and them going to Predator games together.

lolita55

I know that Carrie considers Hillary Scott, Kimberly Perry and Jennifer Nettles her friends. I have seen comments on twitter, etc. with them making lunch dates, play dates with their dogs, and them going to Predator games together.

That is great, the four of them(Carrie, Hillary, Kimberly, and Jennifer) seem like great, very nice ladies, and I am a pretty good judge of character. So if they are half as nice as they seem. She has good friends.

lizcarlo

Love this because I'm fan of all three. They seem like nice women.

pklongbeach

I don't want to put too much of a damper out for those who'd like to see a duet - but I've watched the video, and she clearly says there are no plans for one, her face didn't exactly light up, and the "fantastic" in her answer struck me as polite rather than anticipatory.

As people have said, though, I don't want to turn that into an assumption of dislike. After all, Carrie has done rather few duets with any other female singers - for all we know, she may herself seldom take the initiative in seeking such collaborations. My fear (not just, and not mainly, in this thread) is that if we, as a fan base, keep jumping to the conclusion that everyone's against Carrie, we risk making her look weak, jealous and over-dependent on other people's approval - none of which is true, but which can, unfortunately, give that impression, if almost every musical thread leads to negative references to other artists.

I know this is somewhat off-topic...but as Martina's the subject of this thread (and I can't think of where else to post it, lol) - hopefully, it may be of interest.

Most of you will remember the excellent CMA Songwriters' series, which Carrie so much enjoyed that she used the format again at the Country Radio Seminar last year. Well, Bob di Piero and Brett James (who both appeared with Carrie) are bringing the series to London, in March, as part of C2C programme of events. This time, though, it will be Martina filling the "headline artist" role. The write-up on the billing is here:
Country 2 Country :: CMA SONGWRITERS SERIES RETURNS TO THE UK

The inclusion of Martina may surprise some, as it's probably fair to say that for much of her career, she was not noted as a songwriter. She has a few earlier cuts - most often with the Warren Brothers, who also collaborated with her recently on "Teenage Daughters" - but it was, in fact, on "Eleven" that she really branched out as a writer, with six cuts in all.

(The exciting news for me is that the duo "Striking Matches" are also part of this event. Some of you probably know them already - they've made several Opry appearances, and have had a number of their songs performed on the TV show "Nashville". )

I have to admit, I find it a bit disjointed that Martina would be participating in a Songwriting Series. Her strength has always been in her singing, and writing has seemed to be something she only dabbled in.
Don't get me wrong, I think it is a wonderful opportunity for all. Just a bit off base somehow.
But what did occure to me and you are going to have to watch and send us video; is that this setup might have her singing an accoustic version of Jesus Take The Wheel!!
And as Carrie has sung Martinas songs with much pride and humility, I don't see why Martina wouldn't.
Heres hoping.

Carrieflattsfan

I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but this strikes me as a quick way to attach Carrie's name to a female who was past her prime awhile ago.

Martina has never appeared to express any interest in Carrie; I think if she truly wanted to work with her she would've reached out years ago, during the Idol days.

Since Martina is on Big Machine now, I can't say this move seems sincere because I put nothing past BM's ability to draw up some quick tidbits to get people talking. LOL.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

gaycarebear

I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but this strikes me as a quick way to attach Carrie's name to a female who was past her prime awhile ago.

Martina has never appeared to express any interest in Carrie; I think if she truly wanted to work with her she would've reached out years ago, during the Idol days.

Since Martina is on Big Machine now, I can't say this move seems sincere because I put nothing past BM's ability to draw up some quick tidbits to get people talking. LOL.

I'm pretty sure Martina is no longer with BM. She's releasing her new album on her own.

HuiZ

She's got a great voice, but I'm not excited about this like I would back when Carrie first won Idol.

I feel their voices, personalities together would lack... hmm... "chemistry".

It's a lot more fun to see two artists who gel well together do a duet.

maddkat

Staff member

Martina is no longer with BM, and she didn't bring Carrie up the interviewer did.
I don't think in the 9 years since Carrie was on Idol Martina has ever mentioned Carrie voluntarily.

It was just a throw away question with a throw away answer I wouldn't take it seriously.