Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POSITIVE, UPTEMPO SONGS: GOOD FOR RADIO, NOT FOR AWARDS (Carrie Mentioned)

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher
There is an article on the front page of the Billboard Country Update about performance song selection at awards shows. Thought you might be interested in this little tidbit about Carrie's performance on last year's ACM Awards.

Clark is particularly attuned to the issue. The ACMs are crafted as a network-TV balancing act, providing mass exposure for the genre and its artists while attempting to satisfy CBS’ need for solid ratings.

The ACM doesn’t adhere to the nominations list to create the music rundown. Miranda Lambert, for example, performed “The House That Built Me” on last year’s show. This year, she’ll provide a different piece of material as Clark tries to get the beats-per-minute mix just right. Too many ballads and the onscreen party comes to a crash and at-home viewers tune out. But if the slow songs appear in a context that makes them a welcome contrast, the ratings can actually be strengthened.

“Carrie Underwood doing ‘Temporary Home,’ a slow ballad but so emotional and such an amazing story, [was] huge in the minutes by minutes [ratings],” Clark says of the 2010 show.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/billboardbiz/photos/pdf/country_update_0207.pdf

abbeyjones18

I think he has a good point...there has to be a good balance...if it's uptempo all the time, than that's very boring in my opinion...plus, you can have great moments like with Carrie and TH...that's why I LOVE award shows...you can have great perfromances that people will still be talking about nearly a year later!!! :)

DizzyDollyDee

Ballads or uptempo Carrie is never boring - plus she always sings them spot on and looks beautiful in every performance. Never a disappointment for the viewer!

Ty

Question - I don't understand how people know when to turn their TV on during an award show? I mean it's not like anyone knows the performance schedule beforehand. I'm just curious as to how this works exactly.

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher
Question - I don't understand how people know when to turn their TV on during an award show? I mean it's not like anyone knows the performance schedule beforehand. I'm just curious as to how this works exactly.

A lot of awards show who the next few performers are and the minutes until they perform just before a commercial break. So someone can be online here and see that Carrie is performing in 15 minutes.

abbeyjones18

For the record, I wasn't saying that Carrie was boring...that is NEVER the case. I was just saying how if they had everyone singing uptempo tunes on every performance, it could be boring. That's why it needs to be a good mixture of both.

epicamends

Carrie's performance of Temporary Home at the ACMs last year was incredible. It brought many people to tears, including Hillary Scott.

yehchern

its not becoz of the type or performance that brings in viewers..its about carrie :D if carrie sings uptempo and others sing slow song...then UPTEMPO will bring more vioewers! :D

opry051008

Sorry to be dumb about this but what does "huge in minute to minute ratings" mean? Does it mean that as the song continued the ratings went up?

allamericangirl8

Sorry to be dumb about this but what does "huge in minute to minute ratings" mean? Does it mean that as the song continued the ratings went up?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it means that her ratings were huge every minute of her performance. As in Carrie's four-five minutes > the rest of the show.

pklongbeach

Very cool.
I think TH was one of those songs that people want to hear live to see if the vocals are going to be similar.
And of course Carrie nailed it.