Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2: Blown Away vs. Two Black Cadillacs

Round 2: Blown Away vs. Two Black Cadillacs

• Blown Away

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • Two Black Cadillacs

Votes: 28 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cole

Such a close race! keep voting, guys! Keep in mind, too, the upcoming rounds. Say, for example, both of these are really strong songs, and both could easily win the whole thing and defeat all the other songs! So be careful when you're voting. Sometimes you have to vote for the weaker song if one of your favorites (like Do You Think About Me, or One Way Ticket) is coming up in the next few rounds. Be clever ;)

sam_vzla

TWO BLACK CADILLACS.

TBC is, in my opinion, the best song on the album by miles and the best song Carrie has ever written. The imagery is superb, the best of almost any song I've ever heard. There aren't a ton of details, yet you can visualize it all in your head. That's difficult. On top of that, Carrie still leaves a lot of it open to interpretation.

Carrie's phrasing is some of her best. She treats the verses so delicately that you don't expect the gospely, belting, "And the preeeacher said he was a good maaaAAAN." That is freaking genius. That really makes the song for me. When Carrie sings, "It was the first and the last time they saw each other face-to-face," it's like a movie. You can just see the sweeping of the cameras in the autumn air. And then Carrie's all like, "They shared a crimson smile and just walked away and left the secret at the grave," and you can hear the pitter-patter of the rain washing away the traces of evidence that the women did anything wrong, and it's so sinister and so haunting the way Carrie interprets that line, a stark contrast to the previous one! Just brilliant.

Even the backing track deserves major props. The drums especially sound like rain pelting down on these women like bullets. Maybe he was killed with a gun after all! But seriously, the backing band is aces. This is one of the only songs by Carrie that makes me torn between paying attention to her or her band. I just love the atmosphere the different instruments provide. They sound so evil at times, too.

So anyway, Two Black Cadillacs should win. Not taking anything away from the other songs. Actually, yes, I am, because all songs on this planet suck in comparison to TBC. That's how dynamic and tremendous it is.

Well, not quite, but you get my point. TBC FTW.

This. The way Carrie sings it its perfect. When she goes with "they took turns laying a rose down, threw a handful of dirt into the deep ground" she makes you feel the anger from those women. "They shared a crimson smile and just walked away and left the secret at the grave" is just amazing.

And you should add the great instrumental ending.

Farawayhills

(I have a feeling I'm going be on the losing side again, lol)

I'm going for "Two Black Cadillacs"

Although BA arguably has a more complex arrangement and more experimental effects, and both songs have chilling themes - TBC comes across for me as taking Carrie more definitively to the "new level" she was aiming for. Co-writing this song was a dramatic step forward - it shows a melding of music and lyric in a way that leaves much of the contemporary Mainstream behind. Too often, praise for songwriting focuses on the lyric alone, whereas the music is equally important, and here the music fits the dramatic, yet not fully explained, theme very well. Although there are other instruments and effects, the lasting impression is dominated by Carrie's vocal and the insistent, yet not over-stated drum beat. This song puts more demands on the singer to "carry" the theme and overall impression by her voice, and I think it comes across as one of her most expressive on the album. Of the two songs, this strikes me as the more sinister in mood. The Blues influence, which surfaces at various points, particularly in the "bye bye" choruses, and in the latter part of the song, adds to the mood.
I don't know if they plan to pitch this to radio - but it's an impressive achievement, and a highlight of Carrie's growing confidence as a singer and writer.

hockey2k5

TBC. All day, everyday. I love BA too, but TBC is in my Top 3 favorite Carrie songs of all time at this point. Haunting and enchanting? I think so.

Louisa

"Blown Away". I like both songs but "Blown Away" stands out more to me and I tend to listen to it more than "Two Black Cadillacs".

cole

Ok, I think everyone has gotten in the votes that wanted to vote! It's been almost a week.....and the winner is Blown Away, with 53% of the vote! Such a close one! Blown Away moves on to round 3 to face off against See You Again.