Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sales from USA Today - 2/16/11

Pi314CA

Crystal Bowersox holds onto top 100 spot on 'Billboard' albums chart
09:34 AM

As a result of Sunday's Grammy Awards ceremony making a big impact on this week's sales report, American Idol barely managed to keep an act in the top half of The Billboard 200. Crystal Bowersox's Farmer's Daughter comes in at No. 98 this week, selling 7,000 units according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Only Grammy winner Fantasia and Carrie Underwood managed to make the Billboard 200, with both acts seeing double-digit percentage increases in their weekly sales.

Idol albums

Crystal Bowersox, Farmer's Daughter (7,000, +27%, 150,000 total) (#98 Billboard 200)
Fantasia, Back to Me (6,000, +12%, 410,000) (#120 BB200)
Carrie Underwood, Play On (6,000, +17%, 1.952 million) (#125 BB200)
Carrie Underwood, Some Hearts (2,000, +16%, 7.085 million)

Link: Crystal Bowersox holds onto top 100 spot on 'Billboard' albums chart - Idol Chatter: American Idol News, Rumors, & Information

Last edited:

teesharky

Wow I wonder what the increase is from? Grammys maybe? Even though she wasn't there, they did show her picture and album cover on tv in front of 20 million people. lol

yeah this coming week and the week after which would be the charts for March 4th & 11th as the one that came out today is the one that represents the week ending february 25th Some Hearts is about 7.5 weeks from hitting 7.1 million sold and about 15 months from selling enough to go 8x platinum and possibly one of the last albums to do so as the last album to go diamond was Usher's confessions in 2008

Pi314CA

yeah this coming week and the week after which would be the charts for March 4th & 11th as the one that came out today is the one that represents the week ending february 25th Some Hearts is about 7.5 weeks from hitting 7.1 million sold and about 15 months from selling enough to go 8x platinum and possibly one of the last albums to do so as the last album to go diamond was Usher's confessions in 2008

After 15 months, SH may get to 7.3 million. I doubt that it will be certified 8x platinum at that point. It probably needs to get to 7.8 million in actual sales due to the dwindling number of physical CDs shipped and stocked.

Its getting so close to actually having 2 million sales!!! And that'd be amazing if Some Hearts could go 8x platinum!!! It'd take forever to do that though. What album since 2005 has sold more than Some Hearts? I cant think of any off the top of my head

teesharky

^ no album has sold more then SH in the USA. I think LAdy Gaga has gone diamond in worldwide sales, maybe....but not in USA sales. Carrie is still ahead.

CarrieFan928

Fearless was the last album to reach 6x Platinum since Some Hearts did. So I think it's safe to say no album released after Some Hearts has sold more than Some Hearts. Nickelback's All the Right Reasons did go 8x Platinum but it was released about a month and a half before Some Hearts.

I think Play On might sell 2 million copies in less than ten weeks. That's assuming there's no surprise single off something else that promotes Play On as well. I'm guessing the boost may have been due to Songs Like This get airplay. That's the only explanation I could think of. Or maybe the Mike Fisher trading might have given her more publicity especially in the pop world.

maria4hitz

I'd say it was because of Valentine's day, almost every album in the top 50 saw increases, not only albums from artists that were at the grammy's.

teesharky

Fearless was the last album to reach 6x Platinum since Some Hearts did. So I think it's safe to say no album released after Some Hearts has sold more than Some Hearts. Nickelback's All the Right Reasons did go 8x Platinum but it was released about a month and a half before Some Hearts.

I think Play On might sell 2 million copies in less than ten weeks. That's assuming there's no surprise single off something else that promotes Play On as well. I'm guessing the boost may have been due to Songs Like This get airplay. That's the only explanation I could think of. Or maybe the Mike Fisher trading might have given her more publicity especially in the pop world.

how did Nickelback go 8x platinum? I don't think they have sold as much as SH, have they? I knew they were 7x platinum, but not 8.

carriecountrystar

anyone have the count for "fearless"?
seeing how long is continuously stayed on charts pretty high up and with consistent numbers EVEN after "speak now" was released.... it just might be 7x platinum soon. blahhh I don't get how it's managed to still stay on top...
is her label/management -promotion really that big or is it because she's still that big with world wide tour and everything?

robinannhunt

seeing how long is continuously stayed on charts pretty high up and with consistent numbers EVEN after "speak now" was released.... it just might be 7x platinum soon. I don't get how it's managed to still stay on top...
is her label/management -promotion really that big or is it because she's still that big with world wide tour and everything?

I am not a pop fan so I have no idea.;)

elba2007

seeing how long is continuously stayed on charts pretty high up and with consistent numbers EVEN after "speak now" was released.... it just might be 7x platinum soon. blahhh I don't get how it's managed to still stay on top...

I think how much her management/label paid the billboard coz those are expensive promotion million dollar thing so don't believe in numbers

That's insane that SH is the best selling album in the US over the past 5 years, I can't believe a single album released after it sold more than it thats so great!!! :)

maria4hitz

Maybe people just enjoy the album?? Like Some hearts?

This was 2 weeks ago
93 SWIFT*TAYLOR FEARLESS 5.186 6.233.909

CarrieFan928

how did Nickelback go 8x platinum? I don't think they have sold as much as SH, have they? I knew they were 7x platinum, but not 8.
RIAA - Gold & Platinum - February 17, 2011 The RIAA has certified Nickelback's album as 8x Platinum.

I've always wondered how Fearless has still been selling so strong. I think it may be because new fans who purchase Speak Now also purchase Fearless, which they didn't own before. That's how it was with her self-titled album;people would purchase her debut album after buying Fearless. But the problem with that theory is that it seems impossible that this many fans of Speak Now have still not purchased Fearless, one of the biggest albums of the past two years. It may also be the album still has some singles getting strong recurrent airplay. Whatever it is, it probably will go 7x Platinum in one or two years. Although I don't see it surpassing Some Hearts.

clh_hilary

Nickelback's album sold more than "Some Hearts", but they had a re-release. Their next album, "Dark Horse", did not sell remotely close to "Carnival Ride" though.

For Lady GaGa, "The Fame"/"The Fame Monster" did not go Diamond globally because there simply isn't a Diamond certification. The Perez Hilton tweeting it going Diamond is based on US' definition of Diamond (over 10 million copies of shipment) which isn't a very accurate account since the States is only a part of the world. The United World Chart counts 2 million actual sales to be Platinum and Gaga has since then gone 6xPlatinum for selling more than 12 million copies world-wide. The "Monster" EP, which is an American exclusive, add another 1-2 million copies into it. In the States, I believe it stands around 4-5 million copies, with another million with her EP.

For Taylor Swift's "Fearless", I believe it has scanned through 6 million copies and is still selling pretty well. Though with today's sales climate it would be pretty hard for her to go 7xPlatinum. Actually, her current album, "Speak Now", is struggling to pass last year's biggest selling album, Eminem's "Recovery", which people claimed for it to be passed last year.

Globally, only a few albums sold more than SH after its release: Madonna's "Confessions On A Dancefloor", which was released the same week as SH did, sold 11 million copies world-wide; Susan Boyle's "I Dreamed A Dream", which is at around 8-10 million copies depending on which source you want to believe; Amy Winehouse's "Back To Black", which should have sold around 11-12 million copies; Lady GaGa's "The Fame"/"The Fame Monster" as mentioned; arguably Taylor Swift's "Fearless" since it has a lot more world-wide sales (still not much) than SH does; James Blunt's "Back To Bedlam", which has sold over 11 million copies; Rihanna's "Good Girl Gone Bad", which has sold 8 million copies. Justin Timberlake's "Future Sex/Love Sound" sold 7 million copies world-wide; Beyonce's "B'Day" may have sold around 8 million copies. Oh and of course the Nickelback album. I think that's it. If you also count all albums in 2005, you could add Gwen Stefani ("Love, Angel, Music, Baby" - 7 million copies), Mariah Carey ("The Emancipation of Mimi" - 9 million copies), 50 Cent ("The Massacre" - not sure), Shakira ("Oral Fixation, Vol. 2" - 8 million copies) and Green Day ("American Idiot" - 15 million copies). Kelly Clarkson's "Breakaway", which has sold 11 million copies, exploded in 2005 as well. But to be fair, SH was really selling only after 2005.