Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Gay Rights Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrieidol1

A very touching, inspirational, documentary on Gay Rights that I think everyone should watch.

There is still such ignorance in that people really believe that homosexuality is a disease. Other people with no first-hand knowledge of homosexuality believe it's a choice. No matter what you believe in, homosexuals are people too and deserve nothing less than the heterosexual people in the world. Heterosexuals don't "chose" to be straight, and it really is the same case with gays... it's not a choice. When a child feels that no life at all is better than the life they were given because they are gay, something is wrong. Homosexuality isn't a practice, nor is it belief, it is a way of life that we're born with just as straight people are. In no way is it okay for people to kill, bully, or deprive people of rights because of their sexuality. If I have to devote my entire life to spreading this message, I will... But someday, and I hope soon we can all live as one. When color, ethnicity, religion, and sexuality have no impact on what society thinks of us; instead we're judged fully and only on the content of our character. For now, this video is a start to spread the message. I'm not asking people to understand homosexuality, promote it, or anything. I'm just asking that you put the differences between you and others aside and accept that everyone is different, and everyone wants to be treated the same regardless of their sexuality.

If we ever want world peace, we have to get past this obstacle in our own country, and the world, first.

I love the quote: "How many more Gay people does God have to create before we ask ourselves wether or not God actually wants them around?"

bigbluegrl23

"I'm sick of the term gay marriage. When I eat breakfast, I'm not eating gay breakfast. When I park the car, im not gay parking." forget who said this but i lOVE it. also, there's an awesome pic on twitter going around. it shows 3 pictures together. one of kim and kris that says (72 days, legal), one of katy and russel (4 months, legal), and finally, Neil Patrick Harris and his boyfriend (8 years, ILLEGAL). such a great photograph.
Becca

Farawayhills

But someday, and I hope soon we can all live as one.... I'm just asking that you put the differences between you and others aside and accept that everyone is different, and everyone wants to be treated the same regardless of their sexuality.

That's very well put. I don't think Rights can be divided - either we all have them, or in the last resort, none of us do. In the end, it's pointless to discriminate against a minority, because everyone of us is a minority in some respects. We're all involved, because if some of us can be hurt, then any of us can be hurt, and we should never lose sight of trying to feel each other's pain.

In the Country Music community, some of us - artists and fans - know that our music has a significant Gay following and have tried to welcome and reach out to all our friends, regardless of orientation. Unfortunately, the page I'm going to link to shows the hostile reaction to those efforts (The page could be offensive - I'm only using it, like the comments in the above video, to show that the problem affects Country too)
Country Music Hypocrites

I support the right of all people of Faith to allow their Saviour into their hearts and form their relationship with God in accordance with their beliefs - but not to impose a particular interpretation or judgment on others. God is greater than all of us, and knows the true feeling in all our hearts far more than we can claim to know the hearts of others.

I may have posted this song before, by one of the artists I support, but I think it fits this discussion, and I hope some of you like it.

clh_hilary

"I'm sick of the term gay marriage. When I eat breakfast, I'm not eating gay breakfast. When I park the car, im not gay parking." forget who said this but i lOVE it. also, there's an awesome pic on twitter going around. it shows 3 pictures together. one of kim and kris that says (72 days, legal), one of katy and russel (4 months, legal), and finally, Neil Patrick Harris and his boyfriend (8 years, ILLEGAL). such a great photograph.
Becca

Just to be precise, 14 months for Katy Perry and Russel Brand. And don't forget the 55 hours 'marriage' of Britney Spears to her high school friend or something. Obviously gay marriages would not hinder the integrity of marriage if there's any left...

pklongbeach

That's very well put. I don't think Rights can be divided - either we all have them, or in the last resort, none of us do. In the end, it's pointless to discriminate against a minority, because everyone of us is a minority in some respects. We're all involved, because if some of us can be hurt, then any of us can be hurt, and we should never lose sight of trying to feel each other's pain.

In the Country Music community, some of us - artists and fans - know that our music has a significant Gay following and have tried to welcome and reach out to all our friends, regardless of orientation. Unfortunately, the page I'm going to link to shows the hostile reaction to those efforts (The page could be offensive - I'm only using it, like the comments in the above video, to show that the problem affects Country too)
Country Music Hypocrites

I support the right of all people of Faith to allow their Saviour into their hearts and form their relationship with God in accordance with their beliefs - but not to impose a particular interpretation or judgment on others. God is greater than all of us, and knows the true feeling in all our hearts far more than we can claim to know the hearts of others.

I may have posted this song before, by one of the artists I support, but I think it fits this discussion, and I hope some of you like it.

How does this exist and still "Mean" ends up the antibullying anthem nominated for a grammy.
Weird.
The "Music Industry" is such a farce.

clh_hilary

How does this exist and still "Mean" ends up the antibullying anthem nominated for a grammy.
Weird.
The "Music Industry" is such a farce.

Well, the anti-bullying / gay anthems of the year are better represented by Lady GaGa's "Born This Way" and Katy Perry's "Firework". And both of them got nominated in the big big general field! Even P!nk's "F**kin' Perfect" / "Perfect"!

carebear4eva

Amen. I intend to fight for our rights until I die. I wish Carrie herself would support the rights of the LGBTQIA community.

God bless us all.

carriefann

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

I'm gay, guys. Did I choose to be? Nope. I first knew I was attracted to men when I was 12. Do you really think God is going to damn a 12 year old kid to hell?? I don't think so. I hate when people say we "chose" to be gay. I never "chose" to be picked on, alone my whole life, and discriminated against.

I'm a Christian, I love, love, love God. I know I'm going to heaven. You can't tell me, that at 18 years old, God is going to damn me to hell, when 1) I've never even kissed anyone before, much less had sex! 2) I'm a great kid; I make great grades, never cause trouble.

And it's sad that I can't ever come out to my family, because I know they would never accept me. I've heard them make homophobic comments in the past, and i know that if I come out to them, I would get thrown out my house. And that's sad. These are "Christian" people. I love someone, no matter what skin color, or sexual orientation.
o t
And it's sad that I will probably be alone my whole life, with no boyfriend, and certainly no "Mr. Right" to marry, because I'm too afraid to lose my family. They mean the world to me, but I know that I would be an outcast to them if I came out. So I guess i'll just press on in secret.

But, I just wanted everyone to know before I die, so I don't go to the grave, carrying this. I love all of you people, and I know you love me, you're all so kind. To the other gay members on here, press on, guys!! You guys rock.

Hopefully I can be an example to other gays. Thank you carrie, for your song "Temporary Home", I know this is just a temporary place, and i'll be in heaven one day where I won't be discriminated against.

Also, thanks to Gaga for saying - Hey baby, I was *born* this way!!!:eek:

I love God, I love life, and.....I'm gay!

To the many, many gays who have died and lost their very lives for who they love -- you inspire me to be brave every day. <3

liz278

I'm gay, guys. Did I choose to be? Nope. I first knew I was attracted to men when I was 12. Do you really think God is going to damn a 12 year old kid to hell?? I don't think so. I hate when people say we "chose" to be gay. I never "chose" to be picked on, alone my whole life, and discriminated against.

I'm a Christian, I love, love, love God. I know I'm going to heaven. You can't tell me, that at 18 years old, God is going to damn me to hell, when 1) I've never even kissed anyone before, much less had sex! 2) I'm a great kid; I make great grades, never cause trouble.

And it's sad that I can't ever come out to my family, because I know they would never accept me. I've heard them make homophobic comments in the past, and i know that if I come out to them, I would get thrown out my house. And that's sad. These are "Christian" people. I love someone, no matter what skin color, or sexual orientation.
o t
And it's sad that I will probably be alone my whole life, with no boyfriend, and certainly no "Mr. Right" to marry, because I'm too afraid to lose my family. They mean the world to me, but I know that I would be an outcast to them if I came out. So I guess i'll just press on in secret.

But, I just wanted everyone to know before I die, so I don't go to the grave, carrying this. I love all of you people, and I know you love me, you're all so kind. To the other gay members on here, press on, guys!! You guys rock.

Hopefully I can be an example to other gays. Thank you carrie, for your song "Temporary Home", I know this is just a temporary place, and i'll be in heaven one day where I won't be discriminated against.

To the many, many gays who have died and lost their very lives for who they love -- you inspire me to be brave every day. <3

I am so sorry that you cannot tell your family. I have a son who is gay and told us when he was 15. (He is now 25) It was hard to hear because we didn't want him to suffer because of that. We do not love him any less and we know that God does not love him any less. But, he will not tell the church yet. And that is very sad. He doesn't want the church to look down on him and look at him any differently. I hope we as Christians come to a place where we love everyone no matter their orientation, color of their skin, whether they look or act like us, or if they are different from us in any way. I am saddened that here on earth we can't love people for who they are! I know that in heaven we will have to! :) That's my "sermon" for today!

Carrieflattsfan

Although I'm not gay, I can't even imagine the pain and suffering some people have to go through because of it. We are all human, and at the end of the day we are ALL the same. And I completely agree that the idea of gays ruining the institution of marriage is ridiculous, because straight couples are the one's who have run it into the ground. I wish that everyone could be accepting and realize that love is love, but unfortunately there will always be people out there who will disagree with you. We still have racists and skinheads living among us after all we've been through; I don't see the tide changing for homosexuals, especially because the subject is so polarizing and controversial.

Hang in there guys; I support you. :)

carebear4eva

o t

I'm pretty sure you were talking about me in that post. Wait, you weren't? Replace "Christian" with "Hindu" and you essentially have my story.

Still, life's too good to let one tiny aspect of your life bum you out and keep you from being happy.

One thing I really don't like is how religion excludes the gays. If there is ANY other thing that a person is unhappy about, or is being picked on for, he can always turn to God. If a kid's parents are getting divorced, and his world is falling apart, he can open the Bible and read "God loves you, my child". If an overweight or unattractive girl is being ridiculed in school she can come home crying, open the Koran and read "Allah loves you, my child". If someone is having difficulty keeping up in school, because of learning difficulties, he can wipe his eyes, open the Torah and he will read "God loves you, my child".

But if a gay kid is living in hell, ridiculed, mocked, bullied laughed at and teased by everyone he sees, and he sums up the strength to get past it and turns to his religion. He will open a religious book and think "Oh wait, God hates me too, he's gonna damn me to hell."

It breaks my heart.

I realized I was gay when I was 13. I'd been a good child, had not caused my parents any trouble whatsoever, got good grades, was helpful, polite, and charitable. One day I looked up the word "homosexual" in the dictionary after reading it somewhere. When I read the definition, I thought "Hey, that's me!".

Since then, five years have passed. I am today a university student in a highly reputable university. I was Head Boy of my school, and have been awarded 2 awards by the ruler of Dubai himself. When I left Dubai, at least ten people told my mom in front of me, that they hoped their young children would grow up to be like me. I have been highly successful on many fronts, am topping my university right now, and (AND I HAVEN'T TOLD THIS TO ANYONE YET) am writing my first book, an early draft of which was recently well-received by Scholastic Inc., with a potential 500,000$ deal for three books in the series (the same offer that was made to Stephenie Meyer when she first sent Twilight to publishers - but please, MY BOOK IS NOTHING LIKE TWILIGHT).

Through all of this, I have kept God at the centre of my life, in my heart and mind. I have helped the poor, have done a lot in India for the starving and destitute, and co-founded my school's "Special Needs Families" Club, for mentally handicapped children. I believe that I have made many people's lives better, have not willfully caused anyone any pain, and most of all, have been a dutiful, obedient and loving son to my wonderful parents.

Why God would hate me, and would throw me into hell-fire for something that I have known since I was a 12-year old, I don't understand, and I don't believe.

God would not hate something he created himself. I have "chosen" to be gay, just as much as I have "chosen" to be Indian, to be a male, to be born to my parents, to be of blood type AB, or to be black-haired. I am happy with, and PROUD OF, all those things. Why should the fact that I look at Finn instead of Rachel when they kiss on Glee make any difference to the world?

Be proud of who you are. Believe in a good, just God who loves you, and will always love you so long as you do not make any other of his children unhappy. I firmly believe that is the only thing that can cause God to stop loving you - if you make another man or woman cry.

LOVE YOURSELF, LOVE GOD.

Oh, and also....I've never been kissed either :p

carriefann

I'm pretty sure you were talking about me in that post. Wait, you weren't? Replace "Christian" with "Hindu" and you essentially have my story.

Still, life's too good to let one tiny aspect of your life bum you out and keep you from being happy.

One thing I really don't like is how religion excludes the gays. If there is ANY other thing that a person is unhappy about, or is being picked on for, he can always turn to God. If a kid's parents are getting divorced, and his world is falling apart, he can open the Bible and read "God loves you, my child". If an overweight or unattractive girl is being ridiculed in school she can come home crying, open the Koran and read "Allah loves you, my child". If someone is having difficulty keeping up in school, because of learning difficulties, he can wipe his eyes, open the Torah and he will read "God loves you, my child".

But if a gay kid is living in hell, ridiculed, mocked, bullied laughed at and teased by everyone he sees, and he sums up the strength to get past it and turns to his religion. He will open a religious book and think "Oh wait, God hates me too, he's gonna damn me to hell."

It breaks my heart.

I realized I was gay when I was 13. I'd been a good child, had not caused my parents any trouble whatsoever, got good grades, was helpful, polite, and charitable. One day I looked up the word "homosexual" in the dictionary after reading it somewhere. When I read the definition, I thought "Hey, that's me!".

Since then, five years have passed. I am today a university student in a highly reputable university. I was Head Boy of my school, and have been awarded 2 awards by the ruler of Dubai himself. When I left Dubai, at least ten people told my mom in front of me, that they hoped their young children would grow up to be like me. I have been highly successful on many fronts, am topping my university right now, and (AND I HAVEN'T TOLD THIS TO ANYONE YET) am writing my first book, an early draft of which was recently well-received by Scholastic Inc., with a potential 500,000$ deal for three books in the series (the same offer that was made to Stephenie Meyer when she first sent Twilight to publishers - but please, MY BOOK IS NOTHING LIKE TWILIGHT).

Through all of this, I have kept God at the centre of my life, in my heart and mind. I have helped the poor, have done a lot in India for the starving and destitute, and co-founded my school's "Special Needs Families" Club, for mentally handicapped children. I believe that I have made many people's lives better, have not willfully caused anyone any pain, and most of all, have been a dutiful, obedient and loving son to my wonderful parents.

Why God would hate me, and would throw me into hell-fire for something that I have known since I was a 12-year old, I don't understand, and I don't believe.

God would not hate something he created himself. I have "chosen" to be gay, just as much as I have "chosen" to be Indian, to be a male, to be born to my parents, to be of blood type AB, or to be black-haired. I am happy with, and PROUD OF, all those things. Why should the fact that I look at Finn instead of Rachel when they kiss on Glee make any difference to the world?

Be proud of who you are. Believe in a good, just God who loves you, and will always love you so long as you do not make any other of his children unhappy. I firmly believe that is the only thing that can cause God to stop loving you - if you make another man or woman cry.

LOVE YOURSELF, LOVE GOD.

Oh, and also....I've never been kissed either :p

^ Wow.
Awesome, awesome, awesome!!

Lol, I think I'm in love right now!:p

robinannhunt

Thanks to all of you giving us your stories. Nothing in the bible (as it was intended) excludes you. Be sure of that. I can't say that much about some old folks who interpret the bible and god's word for those sheep that follow their interpretations. Love to all of you.

Also you can't tell ahead of time if a person will be epathetic and accept your condition. It is funny but I talked with a muslim who told me that there were no homosexuals in their religion. I laughed. He was a sheep and he believed what he was told from someone else. It is sad but keep up the fight for equal rights.

supercarriefan

Thanks for sharing your stories! I don't understand why anyone would assume you would choose to be gay given how hard the world tends to be on those that come out. Why would someone "choose" to be bullied and treated like a second-class citizen? God made each and every person special, and He loves all of us, even those that don't believe in Him. The idea that gay couples are ruining marriage is absurd considering the divorce rate of straight couples lol. Gay couples are just as able to have a happy, long marriage, and be loving parents as straight couples.

I am a member of a Christian church that is very welcoming to all people regardless of sexual orientation, nationality, etc. We believe in inclusion. We even have gay and lesbian ministers. I'm straight myself, but I find it reassuring that I associate myself with a church that would support me regardless of my orientation.

Those of you that are gay, please know that not all Christians condemn you. God loves you, and I hope that each of you find peace and love in His arms. Keep up the fight! Don't let anyone or anything keep you from being heard.

Cole, I think you will find something very special to spend your life with. I don't think you will be alone forever. Just keep being an awesome person! God has a plan for you :).
carebear4eva, congrats on the book! That's super exciting and a huge accomplishment!

allamericangirl8

Why CarrieFans is the best website ever: every single person in this thread sees gay people as equals.<3

You guys are gonna make me tear up. :')

Cps235

Why CarrieFans is the best website ever: every single person in this thread sees gay people as equals.<3

We are a community/fan base filled with love :) :) :) Carrie Fans are truly the best! I am so proud to be part of the CareBear Family <3.

Carrieflattsfan

Aww. We are all a family here, and I'm so happy to see that we can support and accept each other no matter what. Carrie's music has brought some great people together. :)

Farawayhills

I wish Carrie herself would support the rights of the LGBTQIA community.

God bless us all.

Well, Carrie did wear purple on Spirit Day in October 2010 (As you probably know, this day was promoted by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation to draw attention to people being bullied because of their sexual orientation. People were encouraged to wear purple as a gesture of solidarity, and many entertainers took up the idea. Carrie was reported as pulling off a longer dress to perform the finale of her concert in a purple mini-dress)

On the sad question of rejection by families, I'd like to mention two relevant songs in Country Music.

Probably the best known is Rodney Crowell's 2001 song "Wandering Boy". This concerns twins, one Gay, one Straight. The singer is the Straight brother , who welcomes home his dying twin - the bolded verse shows his remorse for having previously rejected his brother's life style.

"Come in from the cold you must be cold
Thread bare against a freezing wind is a short time gettin' old
Come and sit down tell me where you've been
Rest your soul beside the fire till it's time to go again

Take me back
One more time
Where the railroad tracks
Meet the kudzu vine
Wandering boy

The blood that's flowing through you flows through me
When I look in any mirror it's your face that I see
And you're my only brother I'm your twin
And you've come home to rest awhile and shed your dying skin

Ease your mind
Have no fear
When it comes your time
I'll be here
Wandering boy

We're two Houston kids
Sailin' mason jar lids
With our pop bottles hid
By the bayou bend
In the wild East End
Welcome back again
Wandering boy

I used to cast my judgments like a net
All those California gay boys deserved just what they get
Little did I know there would come a day
When my words would come back screaming like a debt I have to pay

Lean on me
I'll be strong
We're almost free
It won't be long
Wandering boy"

The second song came out last year, on the Court Yard Hounds' (Emily Robison and Martie Maguire's) debut album. Called "Ain't No Son", played with hard core Mountain Music, which is rarely heard in the Mainstream, it was the only track to chart individually, reaching the 60s on the Mainstream Country Radio chart (also the top ten on the Roots chart) It highlights the difficulties of some young people in conservative communities, portraying a father's extreme rejection of his Gay son.

"I've got somethin' to say
I'm scared and so afraid
Can you take me as I am?
Come what may, our blood is all the same
I am still your little man

He said...
You ain't no son to me
You ain't no son to me
8 lb. baby boy I bounced on my knee
No, you ain't no son of mine
You ain't no son of mine
Ah, forget it girls
There ain't no use in tryin'
Don't expect to get my love for free
And don't blame me

You know this ain't no fun for me
This ain't no fun for me
All boys should be boys
That's how it should be
Yeah, you ain't comin' home
Nah, you ain't comin' home
'Til you walk a straight line
You'll be out on your own

Don't expect to save your soul for free
When you're the one who turned your back on me
Aren't you a sight to see?
Yeah, you're a sight to see
What you call freedom
Makes you look like a freak
Yeah, you must get around
'Cause it sure got around
Don't you know that I can't show my face in this town?

Don't think I'm gonna get you up off your knees

Stranger, stranger on the wall
When the neighbors come to call
I just don't know what to say
So I put you away
This time I won't leave a trace
I'll fill up the empty space
When I put you, I put you away

He said...
You ain't no son to me
You ain't no son to me
8 lb. baby boy I bounced on my knee
No, you ain't no son of mine
You ain't no son of mine
Ah, forget it girls
There ain't no use in tryin'
Don't expect to get my love for free
Don't blame me
Yeah don't blame me
Don't blame me

Shame on me, shame on me, shame on me"

carebear4eva

Interestingly enough, Prop 8 was struck down as unconstitutional today. Only the Supreme Court remains in the bid to knock it down for good, and it seems highly likely that the pro-equality movement will win the case there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.