Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Gay Rights Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

broker03

Right, and broker03, I know you tend to say stuff that is sometimes a bit strong-minded and you don't really care what people think, and I agree with you there.

But, there are actually lots of gays who are not "victim-minded." Most of us are just quiet people trying to make it the same as everyone else. Me, for example - I don't want pity or sympathy from someone because I'm gay. I just want to be treated equally and with the same amount of respect as a straight person, and for the most part, we are treated with the same dignity. And that's all I ask for - understanding.

I do agree with you though, that sometimes gay activists take it a little too far, but that's the same with any organization, PETA for example. But there are lots of sterotypes out there about us, as mentioned, and sometimes when these "out and proud" gays run their mouths and say something hurtful or rude about a straight politician and their policies, then sometimes that puts a bad light on us. Unfortunately there are stereotypes out there about every race, sex, orientation, etc.

That's sadly just how humans are. I'm not saying I'm perfect; but I try to be open-minded about everything.

Hi there. Did you really read what i wrote? I SPECIFICALLY stated gay ACTIVISTS. Yes i am absolutely right here. Yes i am right about the irrational gays throwing glitter on people. These are grown adults doing this. Yes i am right how these loony gay activists (the leaders of these groups btw) see ANYTHING negative against gays as gay hate. Are there times when its gay hate? Yes. Are there times when it has nothing to do with sexuality? Yes. THIS is my point. I also stated equal rights YES. Special treatment NO. There is a difference here. Also, i know there are rational good hearted gays out there. Of course there is. Anyone who doesnt think this is loony just like the gay activists. I will say this though, the gays need new leaders who are more sane and rational when appealing to people on the fence about gay rights. Saying this, i feel all of this gay marriage, etc is a generation thing. The vast majority of young---under 40--- of both repubicans and democrats support gay marriage and all the other stuff. I am one of them however i will ****NOT**** support all of this until the gays find better and more rational leaders. You people need better representation. That is the key.

One VERY good example is gay activists are calling for a federal mandated law for employers to hire X amount of homos. This is prejudice against the straights!!! Jobs should go to the BEST QUALIFIED. Pure and simple.

robinannhunt

Hi there. Did you really read what i wrote? I SPECIFICALLY stated gay ACTIVISTS. Yes i am absolutely right here. Yes i am right about the irrational gays throwing glitter on people. These are grown adults doing this. Yes i am right how these loony gay activists (the leaders of these groups btw) see ANYTHING negative against gays as gay hate. Are there times when its gay hate? Yes. Are there times when it has nothing to do with sexuality? Yes. THIS is my point. I also stated equal rights YES. Special treatment NO. There is a difference here. Also, i know there are rational good hearted gays out there. Of course there is. Anyone who doesnt think this is loony just like the gay activists. I will say this though, the gays need new leaders who are more sane and rational when appealing to people on the fence about gay rights. Saying this, i feel all of this gay marriage, etc is a generation thing. The vast majority of young---under 40--- of both repubicans and democrats support gay marriage and all the other stuff. I am one of them however i will ****NOT**** support all of this until the gays find better and more rational leaders. You people need better representation. That is the key.

More baloney...

epicamends

Surprised no one posted this yet.

I particularly love this quote:

“I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values.” - Ellen.

allamericangirl8

If anyone could disturb the utopia of this thread, it would be broker. xD

Anyway, all of these posts were very heartwarming. I agree that "minorities" (homosexuals, blacks, chicks) can play the victim card from time to time, but that's just human nature, not restricted to these minorities. I mean, white people and straight people could say and have said, "IT'S REVERSE DISCRIMINATION."

Case-by-case basis indeed.

carebear4eva

I was just coming over here to post the news about Washington! It's great! And I hear Illinois has introduced a similar bill too! Very happy :)

carebear4eva

One VERY good example is gay activists are calling for a federal mandated law for employers to hire X amount of homos. This is prejudice against the straights!!! Jobs should go to the BEST QUALIFIED. Pure and simple.

Anyone who says "Yes, I am absolutely right and anyone who disagrees is wrong" is someone who I have no respect for, sorry.

That said, you do have some point in there somewhere, and if you could be a little more pleasant we would have actually responded to you. You are correct when you say that not every gay who is murdered is murdered because he is gay. There is no doubt that that statement is true. You are also correct when you say that gay rights activists can get a little over-the-top, just as PETA does.

However, the vast majority of the movement is not asking for any special treatment. The majority of the gay rights movement (and that is NOT just the gays, but the people who want gays to have equal rights) does not want job reservations or political power. They want equality, and they want to ensure they're not discriminated against.

bigbluegrl23

Ellen Degeneres is my hero. Love her so much. Broker, go away. No because of your views (which I don't all disagree with), but because you're a dumbass. You're posts make me dizzy.
Becca

liz278

I love Ellen's comment - it's what we call the "Golden Rule" treat others like you want to be treated. If we all did this we would have a better place for everyone! I think we can all agree that we all want to be treated justly and fairly.

But I find that people get very uncomfortable if they have to confront prejudice in people. For example, there was an Asian American flight attendant talking before take-off and these three guys were making fun of her accent and calling her names. Did anyone say anything to them? Stand up and say quit with rude and racist comments? I am happy to say yes, my friend stood up turned around and told these three guys to quit the racist comments. They actually stopped - we need more people like this! When we hear people making racist comment, homophobic comments to tell them to stop. When we see injustice we need to stand up for the person - if we all do this this world will be a better place. I can't remember who said it but the saying goes something like "if we see injustice and do nothing we are as bad as the person who is committing the injustice"

robinannhunt

I love Ellen's comment - it's what we call the "Golden Rule" treat others like you want to be treated. If we all did this we would have a better place for everyone! I think we can all agree that we all want to be treated justly and fairly.

But I find that people get very uncomfortable if they have to confront prejudice in people. For example, there was an Asian American flight attendant talking before take-off and these three guys were making fun of her accent and calling her names. Did anyone say anything to them? Stand up and say quit with rude and racist comments? I am happy to say yes, my friend stood up turned around and told these three guys to quit the racist comments. They actually stopped - we need more people like this! When we hear people making racist comment, homophobic comments to tell them to stop. When we see injustice we need to stand up for the person - if we all do this this world will be a better place. I can't remember who said it but the saying goes something like "if we see injustice and do nothing we are as bad as the person who is committing the injustice"

Well said!! Thank you.:D

Carrieflattsfan

Very well-said. And your friend that stood up to those bullies sounds like a great person. I think it's really sad that a lot of parents refuse to accept their children as their own if they come out as gay or Bi; your son is lucky to have parents like you because you accept him. I couldn't imagine being shunned by my parents. :(

clh_hilary

I think that 1 million moms thingy deleted their Facebook page after Ellen!

It's ridiculous to go against gay rights because some gays aren't very likable. I mean, I'm sure every heterosexual are perfect. And it's just natural that 'extreme people' would get more press time because non-extreme people simply wouldn't go for it...Oh and, for the record, I didn't know there's an election for the representative for gay people and I have no idea who our leaders are.

pklongbeach

I appreciate everybodys thoughtful comments.
I particularly always appreciate Ellens cause she understands that the issue of Gay does not automatically translate to "the bedroom".
Straight people are the only ones who insist on "going there".
What people do in their own badrooms is thier own business.
You can be Gay and celebit. You can be straight and celebit.
AS someone posted above: "Gay is simply someone who likes the same sex person". Thats it. Everything else is just the human condition as we know it.
But broker, until Gays are given the same rights as everyone else (much like Blacks, women and any other minority) than the abnormal expression of oppression of these people will always be present in our society.
Look at Britian, the black community is completely assimilated. "There is no Black Community":There is no question of race. Therefore each person acts out of their own self motivation. There you find the individual. Until you erase the divide, you will always feel the oppression of those people.
You can't simply tell them to stop feeling that way.
You must stop giving them a reason to.
Generation after generation of Black people in this country teach their children that they are oppressed. And there are also generations of black people that teach their children that they are free. it's slowing changing. The time will come.
And it will come for Gays as well.
Just as soon as people stop saying "Get Over It, and stop trying to get married!!"

carriefann

Lol, I love, love, love Ellen's comment! I watched this video over and over again, and I love the part where she goes, "Cuz my haters are my motivators!!"

That is so clever! Haters are my motivators. I'm definitely going to apply that to my life!

I love Ellen; she's so awesome!!!:eek:

carrieidol1

I agree gays should have their equal rights but dont confuse it will special privlidges. Blacks took equal rights and now completely abusing it and constantly pulling the race card when there is no racial discrimination. Just b/c a gay gets beat up by others doesnt ALWAYS mean its gay hate. It really is case by case. Gay activists seem to think its ALWAYS gay hate. This is flawed and divisive thinking. That said, gays tend to be the most closed minded and bigoted folks out there. TRUST me...i know........if you're following me here. Take a look at all the divisive homos throwing glitter on political candidates. Try doing this to a gay person and gay activists would cry gay hate. My point here is, equal rights YES, special treament NO,rational gays YES,irrational victim minded gays NO.

No matter what, there is always discrimination in everything. It's unfortunately embedded in our culture. In the United States; the White, upperclass, straight male is at the top. And there is a decline in the rest. I know there is no blatant discrimination in every situation, but it's still there. The mere fact that "the race card" can be used implies that there is discrimination...

When we can all be called P-E-O-P-L-E who receive equal pay, treatment, rights, and responsibilities, discrimination will have ended. There is discrimination implied by the terms "gay" "black", etc. They unfortunately imply difference which ultimately implies inequality.

No one goes on to say "rational STRAIGHTS yes, irrational STRAIGHTS no." It doesn't seem necessary, does it? Because straight=dominant=better=not having to be explained or identified as a group. You simply referring to homosexuals as "the gays" is in itself, a form of discrimination. Clearly you don't mean it, let's be clear. However, until terminology with negative stigmas are automatically obsolete, in that we can all just be referred to as PEOPLE, there will always be discrimination. Discrimination isn't always an blatant act, it can be found everywhere - even common-day vocabulary.

Onto another point you make, Whites use the "race card" just as much as blacks. You just don't see this happening in the media because even the media is inadvertently discriminatory against people different from them. Ultimately, they chose the stories they share. Hence why you never see "White man discriminated against" etc... You also take a tone that implies blacks were "given" rights and that they should earn them? Who did white people earn rights from? Why is it that white people can decide to give blacks rights? You also make a statement that implies that white people don't take advantage of their rights. White people are in fact, the most guilty of it! Look at all the politicians!? Most white, and most crooks! That's just one example. I'm just mind-boggled that you believe only blacks play the "race card" and that their rights were taken by them, when really... they have every HUMAN right to them, because they are people? right? Why is it that white people make these decisions?

I know your post wasn't intentionally discriminatory or derogatory but I hope you see the ignorance and hypocrisy in what you said.

Let's go through it again:

"Blacks took equal rights and now completely abusing..." - This to me implies that you believe blacks shouldn't have rights because they took their rights and abused them. However, my point against it would be Whites historically and factually abuse their rights everyday. Everyone is guilty of abusing their rights. But one race should NEVER have to gain or earn rights from another race. This in itself implies inadvertent discrimination.

If there was such a thing as "Straight Hate" I'm sure you'd be a strong activist against it too. Yes, not all acts against gay people are gay hate. However, Gay Hate DOES exist therefore it needs to be fought. Think about it the other way around. How about if Gay people were beating up, killing, harassing, bullying straight people. Would you say "just because a straight kid gets hit doesn't mean it's straight-hate" When, in fact, it was a group of Gays that beat the kid up? Please take a broader look at the subject and understand where others are coming from. No, it's not all Gay hate. But again, the simple fact that there is Gay hate implies inequality and discrimination.

I'm done. :banana:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.