Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travis Tritt talks about Country Music (Very small Carrie mention)

liveasong

Travis Tritt had some pretty interesting things to say about country music on the Wendy Williams show! He also VERY BRIEFLY mentioned Carrie during his interview

Go at 4:43! The Carrie mention is a little bit later (5:15)

Inspired

Was he implying Carrie (and Taylor) are flukes or that he is shocked they have stayed on top so long?

maddkat

Staff member
What? Seems he's implying Carrie hasn't deserved her success.

Some of these people need think before they speak.

liveasong

Was he implying Carrie (and Taylor) are flukes or that he is shocked they have stayed on top so long?

I think what Travis Tritt meant is that it would be really hard to defend the idea that female artists are not doing very well in country music. According to him, gender has nothing to do with one's ability to succeed in country music. He listed Carrie as an example of an artist who manages to have a really successful career in country music despite being a woman.

bigbluegrl23

Honestly, those people don't even phase me anymore haha. She releases better music than most people who "worked their way up." She's been going strong for 8 years now. These jealous fellow artists need to get over it. People seem to forget that Miranda lost as smaller reality show. Don't hate Carrie bc she won hers lmao
Becca

pklongbeach

I think his point is pretty clear, and it is coming from someone who has had alot of success and alot of down time:

Every great career goes through periods where they can do no wrong; Taylor / Carrie / Leanne... and every great artists is going to go through periods where the public is just not interested in their specific product.

I think it is very true. And it makes it all the more true that someone like Carrie or Taylor find their audience and play to them. And do not try to please too many people all at once.

I think Carrie has done that to the chagrine of some of us who want her to be a huge All-around star.
And I thnk Taylor is trying very hard to be a huge All-around star, and it may end up losing her her origiginal audience in the process.
I think that is what happened to LeAnne. (along with some unconventional choices she made in the public eye, which the public is still fixated on, because she is still fixated on....)

Carrieflattsfan

I gotta disagree with Travis here.

If success was not based on male vs. female audiences (at least to some extent), there would be so many more successful females on the radio right now.

His example illustrates that, too. Naming Carrie and Taylor as the megastar females of country, but there's ONLY two of them. Miranda isn't even on their level.

Two massively successful females vs dozens of superstar males like Kenny, Luke, Jason, etc; there's no comparison.

With all due respect to Travis (who I love), he was one of the biggest male superstars of the 90's; there's no possible way for him to understand how much harder it is for females in this industry.

I do agree with what he said about Leann, though; it honestly annoys me that people try to make that an issue of sexism. Her career was suffering LONG before news of her affair came out, and she only made matters worse by discussing it and trying to defend herself against public attack. I don't think there's any question females have a MUCH harder time in country music than the males ever will, but Leann's case has nothing to do with her lack of success. Her actions and already declining career were a bad mix; she sealed her own fate.

And Travis didn't say Carrie doesn't deserve her success anywhere in that interview, either. I thought his interview was pretty eloquent and thoughtful, thanks for posting.

Daraebe

I don't think Travis was talking about radio success in terms of Le Ann and Jason comparison. He was talking commercially

maddkat

Staff member
OK I'm guessing I just didn't understand what he was saying.Sorry
Still don't really after listening to it again.

AIgrl06

I don't agree with him that there's not a difference in the way males and females are treated in country music, but he said nothing disparaging about Carrie. He's basically just saying, how can you say country music is biased toward males when the format's two biggest superstars are female.

teesharky

Ok watched it and he was just talking in general about men -v- women in country music and mentioned Carrie/taylor as an example of 2 successful women.

I still think he is wrong that Leanne is not being treated worse then Jason Aldean was for cheating-- sexism is very real everywhere in life, not just in country music. lol

But he is also right that you have peaks in your career where everything you do is great, and then lower points in your career like Leann is having.

Inspired

Sorry for getting some of you upset (blame the new guy), I was just totally confused at why he mentioned Carrie as part of his Jason/LeAnn response.

rainbow1

Agree that they weren't talking about radio. The interviewer specifically asked why LeAnn's album didn't sell and Country let Jason get away with what he did....and it was a big success. Thanks for the post, liveasong!

allamericangirl8

Ugh I saw this (my mom misheard it the way you guys did, so don't feel bad lol). He was saying that gender wasn't the issue with Leann because clearly Taylor and Carrie have achieved huge success in country music. Whilst I agree that Leann's dismal sales are because she's past her peak, it's absolutely ridiculous to say there's no gender bias in country music. I dare Travis Tritt to name two other females primarily in country music who are selling as well as, say, Blake Shelton, who doesn't sell that well to begin with album-wise. Additionally, yes, women are more judged for cheating than men are. That cannot be swept under the rug.

bigbluegrl23

And I guarantee you, if Carrie cheated on mike or had any scandal, she'd see her music decline at country radio.
Becca

liz278

I always find it ironic that women make up the majority (about 52%) of listeners of country radio but they seem to blame the woman (not Jason). Travis did not convince me that there is not a bias against women in country radio.

bigbluegrl23

Women for some reason tend to blame the other woman and forgive the man. Which is strange bc the stereotype is that men are driven by their dicks haha
Becca