Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travis Tritt talks about Country Music (Very small Carrie mention)

Carrieflattsfan

Honestly, I take more of an issue with Wendy suggesting LeAnn's star has faded because she cheated (and she's a woman), so people are out to get her.

Yes, there's an insane amount of sexism in country music, but LeAnn's star faded long ago; IMO it's not even fair to compare her to Jason Aldean, because he is a major star and LeAnn has not had success in a very long time.

Even if she didn't mean to, Wendy is comparing apples to oranges here. Carrie has an established fanbase, and whilst I think there would be some backlash, people would move on as long as Carrie let it go.

IMO, the ONLY reason the public hasn't moved on from this is because LeAnn constantly discusses it and makes herself the victim. If you're gonna marry the guy you cheated on your husband with and then talk about it THREE YEARS later, there are bound to be much bigger repercussions than keeping quiet and moving on.

I honestly think a woman losing her career would depend on the support of the artist's fanbase, and if the artist was able to move on and be remorseful. I think it depends more on how a scandal is handled than what happens during a scandal. The public has "forgiven" plenty of entertainers who have done plenty of awful things; I don't think a cheating scandal would necessarily mean a woman (specifically a superstar), would lose her career over something like that.

epicamends

Women are definitely held to a much higher standard than men in the entertainment business. That's pretty undeniable. Men can get away with more, because of the whole "boys will be boys" attitude, which seems to be especially prevalent in country music.

pklongbeach

I think there were two different topics on the floor at the moment and the only reason Carrie came up was because he was trying to make a point about career longevity. LeAnne has been on top and she is now not as popular in the public opinion regardless of an affair, J.Aldean will find himself there also one day, regardless of an affair.
Carrie and Taylor are huge. But that does not mean it will always be that way. Popular opinion will change.
So I think his point was male or female, both face the same reality in the end.

(he dodged the real issue of gender bias, which is what Wendy was trying to discuss.)

Farawayhills

He was replying (rather obliquely) to the hostess's reference to a double standard in the public's perception of male and female entertainers.

He said he didn't think it was a male/female thing - as otherwise you'd have a hard time explaining the success of people like Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood.
(That seemed a bit off topic, since the hostess was specifically referring to the way the public respond to transgressions - not to popularity in general - but Tritt was presumably trying to make the point that he believes that the format can't be that hard on women if highly successful examples exist)

His remark avoided a deeper discussion of the "double standard" issue - but (as several of you said) I don't think there was any implication that Carrie didn't deserve success, or had been at the top for too long - much less anything to do with TV shows. He was just using her as an example of success.

allamericangirl8

Women are definitely held to a much higher standard than men in the entertainment business.

Heck, I'd argue women are held to a higher standard than men in most respects. The cult of domesticity lives after them; the strength that women have is oft interred with their bones.

But that's off-topic. :p

Louisa

We need more females in country music IMO. I'm glad we have artists like Carrie Underwood representing country music.

Farawayhills

On the general issue, I'd try to keep musicians' music separate from their personal lives. No offence intended, but neither LeAnn Rimes nor Jason Aldean appeal to me much as singers. If they did, I don't think their marital arrangements would be a major factor.

Kitty Wells was married to the same man for more than 70 years. Steve Earl has had seven marriages. I still listen to both of them!

pklongbeach

I think also that the two situations are so far removed from eachother that there is no necessary comparison. Even in regard to gender bias.

If Aldean started an affair with a girl and then started stalking the family and literally fighting with the husband of the girl breaking up the entire family unit and then marrying her while desolving his own entire family kids included, I really doubt people would simply ignore that behavior. Especially if he then spent the next 3 years in the tabloids continuing to fight publically with the "other husband", going to social media to fight his dillusional case.

And if Leanne was sighted in a bar with her hands on another man, there would certainly be a stir but I doubt it would be the enormous disconnect that she has expeienced through her current situation.

Gender bias exists. But I think it is much more a part of our culture and big business and media simply react to it and play to it. IF our culture was different, media and companies would find other angles to play to.

JB172

We need more females in country music IMO. I'm glad we have artists like Carrie Underwood representing country music.

There are plenty of females in country music, there just are not many who people are willing to spend their money on to listen to.

pklongbeach

...and ultimately that is the reality that media and corporations react to.

IF people spent more money of female artists in country music, corporations would back them better and media would report on the more.

Females in pop music are hugely popular and move mass amounts of pop culture product; magazines/clothing lines/concert tickets/cd's/perfumes/soda pop/candies/snack foods/ the list is endless.........

Females in country...........do not........!

ITs not exactly the fault of the media or large companies.

IT is what the audience is buying.

DaisyTweets

Well, I for one, am not going to buy country female artist's stuff just because she's a female. Many of the current new crop that are trying to 'make it' big, I just don't like something about their voices. It's the same way with the male artists -- like I really don't like Luke Bryan's voice. IMO, he's not a very good singer and there's something about his voice that just turns me off so I don't/haven't bought any of his stuff.

Plus, in order for me to really support an artist they have to be able to sing and a large part of that is singing live. They just must IMO be able to sing live. Alot of the newer artists that I've heard sing live just aren't very good at all. Without the magic of autotune and studio magic alot of the new artists are just lost once they must perform live.

pklongbeach

I don't buy cd's at all unless I am really committed to someone.
I do not fill my ipod or cd rack with casual listening material. That is just not how I shop.

As far as female artists I have only ever bought two artists. Carrie and Martina.
Unfortunately, Martinas album "Walking Up Laughing" was not that strong after repeat listening, so I have not bought one of her albums since. Though her Greatest Hits Cd is a great collection of really good solid music.

I have been very satisfied with every one of Carries albums and would play them almost non stop for up to a year before veering off.

OF the four, I would say Carnival ride had the largest gap of songs I would not listen to vrs songs I would listen to over and over again.

2nd probably SH. There were at least 5 songs on SH that I would skip every time. (I was tremendously proud of her vocal performances on SH and was thrilled by its success, but secretly felt that it was very ballad/mid tempo heavy and bored me if I listened to it straight through.

Odd tidbit: I would always listen to IAICA first as if it was the start of the album.
It just made a better openner to me.

Carrieflattsfan

Heck, I'd argue women are held to a higher standard than men in most respects. The cult of domesticity lives after them; the strength that women have is oft interred with their bones.

But that's off-topic. :p

Agreed; women are held to a higher standard when it comes to everything.

Going back to the musical side of things, though, there are tons of successful women in pop music (Adele, Katy Perry, Taylor, Miley, etc). Whereas in country music there are two hugely successful females (yeah, I'm double-dipping with Taylor here). Those who do breakthrough are lucky if they even get a second hit or the chance to make a sophomore album. Kristen Kelly, Kacey Musgraves, and Jana Kramer all made significant impacts with their lead singles; where are they now? Not only is it harder for women to breakthrough, but it's harder for them to stay on top.

Even Miranda had to work for years before she was considered to be a "superstar" of country music. It's just sad that so few women have such a tough road, from getting a record deal to building a fanbase to keeping it. IMO, Carrie was extremely fortunate to have such a core fanbase and a memorable lead single.

The odds of making it at all are slim anyway; add in the sexism and the fact that people are supporting more women than men, and you've got a nasty road ahead. It's just kinda sad that more women are not able to make it, but even more so that they're not sticking around, while Jason and Blake are getting bigger and flooding the airwaves with junk like "1994" and "Boys Round Here." Ugh. It's like women are being completely marginalized, and it's not cool.

I can only hope country music will see a resurgence of women at SOME point; I, for one, am sick of the Jason's and Blake's of country music; I need some strong, talented women to set the tone and show 'em how it's done.

pklongbeach

Agreed; women are held to a higher standard when it comes to everything.

Going back to the musical side of things, though, there are tons of successful women in pop music (Adele, Katy Perry, Taylor, Miley, etc). Whereas in country music there are two hugely successful females (yeah, I'm double-dipping with Taylor here). Those who do breakthrough are lucky if they even get a second hit or the chance to make a sophomore album. Kristen Kelly, Kacey Musgraves, and Jana Kramer all made significant impacts with their lead singles; where are they now? Not only is it harder for women to breakthrough, but it's harder for them to stay on top.

Even Miranda had to work for years before she was considered to be a "superstar" of country music. It's just sad that so few women have such a tough road, from getting a record deal to building a fanbase to keeping it. IMO, Carrie was extremely fortunate to have such a core fanbase and a memorable lead single.

The odds of making it at all are slim anyway; add in the sexism and the fact that people are supporting more women than men, and you've got a nasty road ahead. It's just kinda sad that more women are not able to make it, but even more so that they're not sticking around, while Jason and Blake are getting bigger and flooding the airwaves with junk like "1994" and "Boys Round Here." Ugh. It's like women are being completely marginalized, and it's not cool.

I can only hope country music will see a resurgence of women at SOME point; I, for one, am sick of the Jason's and Blake's of country music; I need some strong, talented women to set the tone and show 'em how it's done.

You make an intersting point;

Do you think there really Are any women beside Carrie Underwood and Taylor swift who exude the type of confidence and strength that Faith Hill, The Judds and Shania Twain did?

I don't actually think there are.
Miranda is a perfect example in my mind.
Here is someone who has been given every opportunity that Taylor or Carrie has been given and been positioned to be accepted on the same level as these other two, and yet, somehow for me, she simply does not exude the characteristics that a Star really carrys.
She is a fine singer, and a fine songwriter, and she is ok at entertaining an audience; but as far as growing into the personification of Female Superstar, the way that Carrie and Taylor have, not even close!

Imagine her trying to pull off a live performance of Last Name or Cowboy Cassanova.
Imagine her trying to create a spectacle like IKYWT at the Britian Music Awards.

There is just no way.

And at the moment I am not sure there are any other women who can either.

allamericangirl8

Okay, so most women aren't as good as Carrie. I can accept that (obviously). But by the same token, you can't sit there and say Luke Bryan makes much better music than Kacey Musgraves. The women are graded at such a high standard, whereas the men are given a free ride. I mean, if you're gonna compare every female to Carrie Underwood, you're never gonna find another strong female; but if you compare every male to Jason Aldean, anyone can be a superstar.

Edit: Exhibit A.

pklongbeach

Okay, so most women aren't as good as Carrie. I can accept that (obviously). But by the same token, you can't sit there and say Luke Bryan makes much better music than Kacey Musgraves. The women are graded at such a high standard, whereas the men are given a free ride. I mean, if you're gonna compare every female to Carrie Underwood, you're never gonna find another strong female; but if you compare every male to Jason Aldean, anyone can be a superstar.

Edit: Exhibit A.

Ha ha ha, he totally looks like some drunk dude they brought up from the audience.
Trust me, I don't get the Jason love at all. And I am very aware of how many guys they roll though the country industry every 3 to 5 years just as a source of eye-candy for the women, but I am just saying that it is hard to argue with results when a few women are making the industry rich and most are not.
IT is pretty obvious why they don't put alot of production/marketing money behind them.

Now with that said, I have no idea why they do with the men.

There are the same tiers of success with men as there are with women;

A few superstars
a standard stock of useful ones.
And a wider range of fringe players.

It is basically the same with the women.

Except that for some reason, radio programmers, DJ's and Labels, seem to play or support one woman for every 8 men.

Ironically, the media pays much more attention to the Women of Country than they do the men.
And yet, from within the industry, the women are massively outsupported by the men.

I would say it is an age old bias. but that can't really be true anymore cause one labels biggest stars is a woman and the newest most influencial label in music today, was built on, and is still supported by a woman.

So I don't understand how the bias can still exist, and yet, how else do you explain the divide.