Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly album Sales, Blown Away Era, Week 28

carebear4eva

^^Just my own opinion but I don't really consider Boxing day the same as Black Friday because the deals here don't even come close to the US deals. lol

Last year they started to do something similar on the Black Friday weekend in order to keep people from cross border shopping. But the deals aren't even close to what you guys get. Maybe the deals will be better this year for us. :)

On the right (pun intended) side of the Atlantic, Boxing Day means cricket matches!

epicamends

^^Just my own opinion but I don't really consider Boxing day the same as Black Friday because the deals here don't even come close to the US deals. lol

Last year they started to do something similar on the Black Friday weekend in order to keep people from cross border shopping. But the deals aren't even close to what you guys get. Maybe the deals will be better this year for us. :)

True. I usually don't even bother shopping on Boxing Day anymore. The deals usually aren't that great, or at least not worth dealing with the crazy shoppers and long lineups. lol

teesharky

So freakin' stoked about the $5.00 Black Friday sale!

I will buy 20 more copies for Christmas gifts-- and it will only be #$100! lol

Manchs

TOP 15 STAYS RED: As expected, Taylor Swift will hold onto the #1 spot for another week, while holiday releases begin to settle into the Top 15. Here's the rundown as we loaf our way to the weekend:

Taylor Swift (Big Machine) 200-225k
* Now 44 (Capitol) 95-100k
* Aerosmith (Columbia) 65-70k
Rod Stewart (Verve) 60-65k
* Ne-Yo (Motown) 55-60k
Jason Aldean (Broken Bow) 45-50k
Kendrick Lamar (Aftermath/Interscope) 40-45k
Meek Mill (Maybach/Warner Bros.) 35-40k
Mumford & Sons (Glassnote) 35-40k
* Third Day (Provident) 27-30k
Lady Antebellum (Capitol) 24-27k
Little Big Town (Capitol) 23-26k
Scotty McCreery (Mercury Nashville/19/Interscope) 22-25k
Blake Shelton (Warner Bros. Nashville) 22-25k
* All That Remains (Razor & Tie) 21-24k

* Debuts
No word yet on whether Karl Rove will accept the final sales tally, but we'll keep you posted. (11/8p)

Gator

Yay! Another 'excuse' to buy more Carrie CDs (like I needed any :rolleyes:). I hope there is a ton of inventoryfor this huge sale. I am putting together a care package for our troops again this year -- so they better have BA stocked! :D:D

clh_hilary

IMO sales are only a small factor in why bands are highly regarded. IMO it shouldn't be a huge factor. In my perfect world, the music is solely what should determine a band's greatness.

To be legendary, you have to have people who like your music, good or not. And sales is the sole factor in determining whether people like you. More sales generally means a higher public acceptance and presence, along with a generally favorable critical acclaims as well as awards. In addition to that, having sold a lot of records in itself is something legendary, not to mention the influence leads by huge sales one enjoys. I personally feel the Beatles' music are mostly underwhelming, but they are a legendary act all around. Or maybe I just have rather poor taste in music.

To have little to no sales but still be regarded highly usually are limited to top vocalists, such as all those classical vocalists who have not sold much records or even tickets. Other acts rely on sales unless they more than make up for their lack of sales with a lot of awards and very high critical acclaim. But the latter two usually come from vocals (Allison Krauss) if not sales.

pklongbeach

IT's very hard to judge the Beatles today based on the reaction society had to it back then.
It was very innovative and had a huge impact in modern music of the day.
And, if you strip it down, the basic structure of the music itself still holds up quite well.
IT was quirky no doubt, and some people don't like quirky.
But it changed the way people imagined pop music.
Its hard to look at it now and imagine the impact it had.

clh_hilary

IT's very hard to judge the Beatles today based on the reaction society had to it back then.
It was very innovative and had a huge impact in modern music of the day.
And, if you strip it down, the basic structure of the music itself still holds up quite well.
IT was quirky no doubt, and some people don't like quirky.
But it changed the way people imagined pop music.
Its hard to look at it now and imagine the impact it had.

I believe at the time they weren't being regarded highly, just like all other boybands that came along. There were a lot of acts that became phenomenon for a while and I think that alone should not be the factor of such a high status.

I don't think they're bad or worse than anybody else, and I do acknowledge they have got some really good songs, but my point is, they were never really that good musically. Repetitive lyrics and melodies, meaningless hook-like choral, mindless lyrics, recycled chords, and even messy bar length.

pklongbeach

I believe at the time they weren't being regarded highly, just like all other boybands that came along. There were a lot of acts that became phenomenon for a while and I think that alone should not be the factor of such a high status.

I don't think they're bad or worse than anybody else, and I do acknowledge they have got some really good songs, but my point is, they were never really that good musically. Repetitive lyrics and melodies, meaningless hook-like choral, mindless lyrics, recycled chords, and even messy bar length.
Well you are right, but I think there are lots of discussions that can be had about their music and thier popularity at the time that can contradict it at the same time.
Yes, the music was "relatable" and yet not at all fitting for the time. Also, you might remember that there was, in a very short 5 year span (that is about how long they were productive together), a young poppy "Beatles" and then rather quickly they became a complex political experimental "Beatles". So it is hard to have the discussion without identifying "which beatles" we are refering to.
But yes, they were a huge phenomenon at first, and then fairly disregarded by the hi-brow and the critics.
But came into their own almost after they broke up.
And also, you have to take into account the difference in the writing of John and Paul. They were credited with all the writing "Lennon/McCartney", but as we all know now, they wrote almost nothing together.
They had very different styles which made the albums feel very eclectic and stylistically complex.
Cause they were basically two different artists vision, with some Ringo and Harrison thrown in to keep things even.

gaycarebear

To be legendary, you have to have people who like your music, good or not. And sales is the sole factor in determining whether people like you. More sales generally means a higher public acceptance and presence, along with a generally favorable critical acclaims as well as awards. In addition to that, having sold a lot of records in itself is something legendary, not to mention the influence leads by huge sales one enjoys. I personally feel the Beatles' music are mostly underwhelming, but they are a legendary act all around. Or maybe I just have rather poor taste in music.

To have little to no sales but still be regarded highly usually are limited to top vocalists, such as all those classical vocalists who have not sold much records or even tickets. Other acts rely on sales unless they more than make up for their lack of sales with a lot of awards and very high critical acclaim. But the latter two usually come from vocals (Allison Krauss) if not sales.

"Beatles' music are mostly underwhelming." REALLY?!?! I can't take your opinion seriously...sorry....

clh_hilary

Well you are right, but I think there are lots of discussions that can be had about their music and thier popularity at the time that can contradict it at the same time.
Yes, the music was "relatable" and yet not at all fitting for the time. Also, you might remember that there was, in a very short 5 year span (that is about how long they were productive together), a young poppy "Beatles" and then rather quickly they became a complex political experimental "Beatles". So it is hard to have the discussion without identifying "which beatles" we are refering to.
But yes, they were a huge phenomenon at first, and then fairly disregarded by the hi-brow and the critics.
But came into their own almost after they broke up.
And also, you have to take into account the difference in the writing of John and Paul. They were credited with all the writing "Lennon/McCartney", but as we all know now, they wrote almost nothing together.
They had very different styles which made the albums feel very eclectic and stylistically complex.
Cause they were basically two different artists vision, with some Ringo and Harrison thrown in to keep things even.

I'm of course referring to the young poppy Beatles who perform mindless Pop tunes such as "She Loves Me", "I Want To Hold Your Hands" and "Love Me Do". And this goes back to my point. The hits they got afterwards with the better songs such as "Hey Jude" wouldn't be as big without the bubblegum smashes paving the way for them; and they wouldn't be as legendary as a band as they are either. So it's sales that make most acts legendary, not much artistry.

jptexas

The Beatles were the best band in history. Their music is in the Hall of Fame. It has been recorded by more artists than anyone. It has stood the test of time. Their influence was and still is overwhelming. The songwriting prowess of Lennon and McCartney will never be matched again. I'm just sayin.

pklongbeach

I'm of course referring to the young poppy Beatles who perform mindless Pop tunes such as "She Loves Me", "I Want To Hold Your Hands" and "Love Me Do". And this goes back to my point. The hits they got afterwards with the better songs such as "Hey Jude" wouldn't be as big without the bubblegum smashes paving the way for them; and they wouldn't be as legendary as a band as they are either. So it's sales that make most acts legendary, not much artistry.
I see where you're going but there are too many examples of the oposite being true.
Back Street Boys will never be legends.
Neither will Nsync (still one of the biggest selling of all time).
Not even sure about TS (no music of hers has had impact enough to call it legendary)

But the Beatles music lives long after young people even know they were a pop band.
And Led Zeppelin had only moderate sales (I don't think anything of they'res ever even hit #1 at all!
Barbara Streisand: Legend with only moderate "pop phenom status".
It's actually a very long list of Legends that were not "pop sellers".

I would suggest (just for argument sake, I hope I'm not pissing you off) that you have it backward.
You can have huge success, Hanah Montana / Jonas Brothers and never be remembered again.
But to be a legend, you have to leave something behind that people remember.

Elvis
Frank S.
Patsy C.

(they were good sellers, don't get me wrong, but they were elevated to legend based on their legacy not sales).

clh_hilary

I see where you're going but there are too many examples of the oposite being true.
Back Street Boys will never be legends.
Neither will Nsync (still one of the biggest selling of all time).
Not even sure about TS (no music of hers has had impact enough to call it legendary)

But the Beatles music lives long after young people even know they were a pop band.
And Led Zeppelin had only moderate sales (I don't think anything of they'res ever even hit #1 at all!
Barbara Streisand: Legend with only moderate "pop phenom status".
It's actually a very long list of Legends that were not "pop sellers".

I would suggest (just for argument sake, I hope I'm not pissing you off) that you have it backward.
You can have huge success, Hanah Montana / Jonas Brothers and never be remembered again.
But to be a legend, you have to leave something behind that people remember.

Elvis
Frank S.
Patsy C.

(they were good sellers, don't get me wrong, but they were elevated to legend based on their legacy not sales).

Their 'legacy' was based on their sales at the time. The only difference between the favors of the moment and legends is that legends last with their music. But without sales from the get go, they won't be considered as legends and nothing will last. And let's be real here, both Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers never reached the sales levels of legendary acts'. And both Backstreet Boys and *Nsync didn't last long enough to reach the overall sales level of legends either.

But we're saying actually don't have conflicts. It's true that there'll have to be a legacy for people to remember, but I'm just saying the legacy is built up on sales. Thus people regard "Thriller" higher than "Dangerous", "Dark Side of the Moon" higher than "The Wall", etc. And the quality of their music, which is subjective, have very little to do with their legendary status. It's just since it's also so subjective, a higher sales level/popularity suggests that the music fits into the norm of what wanted/good music is.

JB172

The Beatles were the best band in history. Their music is in the Hall of Fame. It has been recorded by more artists than anyone. It has stood the test of time. Their influence was and still is overwhelming. The songwriting prowess of Lennon and McCartney will never be matched again. I'm just sayin.

Totally agree on everything you posted, especially the influence that they have had.

A few years ago Ringo was on one of the morning news shows and was singing "Yellow Submarine" and there were people from in their 60's to teenagers who were singing along with him shows the staying power that the Beatles have.

Pi314CA

CHART DATE: 11/12/2012
LAST UPDATE: 11/12/2012 11:01:43
NOW IN: 54.02%

LW TW artist / album label power index
1 1 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 131,969
RED
-- 2 NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 44 CAPITOL 77,082
VARIOUS ARTISTS
-- 3 AEROSMITH COLUMBIA 34,857
MUSIC FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION
3 4 ROD STEWART VERVE 34,081
MERRY CHRISTMAS BABY
4 5 JASON ALDEAN BROKEN BOW 29,790
NIGHT TRAIN

-- 6 NE-YO MOTOWN 28,372
R.E.D.
28 7 BLAKE SHELTON WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 17,880
CHEERS, IT'S CHRISTMAS
10 8 LITTLE BIG TOWN CAPITOL NASHVILLE 17,015
TORNADO
15 9 LADY ANTEBELLUM CAPITOL NASHVILLE 15,962
ON THIS WINTER'S NIGHT

-- 10 MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE 15,069
CHRISTMAS
2 11 MEEK MILL MAYBACH/WARNER BROS. 13,554
DREAMS & NIGHTMARES
20 12 SCOTTY MCCREERY MERC NASH/19/INTERSCOPE 13,294
CHRISTMAS WITH SCOTTY

5 13 KENDRICK LAMAR AFTERMATH/INTERSCOPE 12,753
GOOD KID M.A.A.D CITY
24 14 LUMINEERS DUALTONE 10,558
LUMINEERS
9 15 TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA LAVA/REPUBLIC 10,532
DREAMS OF FIREFLIES
8 16 MUMFORD & SONS GLASSNOTE 10,469
BABEL
13 17 ERIC CHURCH CAPITOL NASHVILLE 10,217
CHIEF

14 18 P!NK RCA 10,210
TRUTH ABOUT LOVE
12 19 CARRIE UNDERWOOD 19/ARISTA NASHVILLE 10,204
BLOWN AWAY

11 20 LUKE BRYAN CAPITOL NASHVILLE 10,185
TAILGATES & TANLINES
6 21 TOBY KEITH SHOW DOG 10,111
HOPE ON THE ROCKS

-- 22 NOW DISNEY CAPITOL 9,634
VARIOUS ARTISTS
29 23 JUSTIN BIEBER ISLAND/IDJ 9,063
BELIEVE
25 24 HUNTER HAYES ATLANTIC 9,028
HUNTER HAYES

21 25 ONE DIRECTION SYCO/COLUMBIA 8,921
UP ALL NIGHT
19 26 ADELE XL/COLUMBIA 8,601
23 27 MAROON 5 A&M/OCTONE 7,861
OVEREXPOSED
34 28 NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 43 CAPITOL 7,047
VARIOUS ARTISTS
-- 29 ALL THAT REMAINS RAZOR & TIE 6,765
WAR YOU CANNOT WIN
-- 30 GLEE CAST COLUMBIA 5,924
GLEE: THE MUSIC PRESENTS GLEASE
31 31 BRANDY RCA 5,820
TWO ELEVEN
-- 32 COLBIE CAILLAT REPUBLIC 5,080
CHRISTMAS IN THE SAND
-- 33 CELTIC WOMAN ANGEL 5,061
HOME FOR CHRISTMAS
16 34 TONY BENNETT COLUMBIA 5,025
VIVA DUETS
33 35 ZAC BROWN BAND ATLANTIC 4,962
UNCAGED

22 36 FUN. FUELED BY RAMEN 4,919
SOME NIGHTS
27 37 MIGUEL RCA 4,633
KALEIDOSCOPE DREAM
39 38 JACKIE EVANCHO SYCO/COLUMBIA 4,080
SONGS FROM THE SILVER SCREEN
-- 39 KENNY CHESNEY BLUE CHAIR/COLUMBIA NASH 3,949
WELCOME TO THE FISHBOWL

47 40 KISS UME 3,323
MONSTER
35 41 2 CHAINZ DEF JAM/IDJ 3,318
BASED ON A T.R.U. STORY
-- 42 JUSTIN BIEBER ISLAND/IDJ 3,157
UNDER THE MISTLETOE
17 43 FLYLEAF A&M/OCTONE 3,035
NEW HORIZONS
40 44 MUSE WARNER BROS. 2,851
2ND LAW
44 45 G.O.O.D. MUSIC CRUEL SUMMER G.O.O.D./DEF JAM/IDJ 2,822
VARIOUS ARTISTS
-- 46 THIRD DAY PROVIDENT 2,729
MIRACLE
-- 47 JAMEY JOHNSON MERCURY NASHVILLE 2,671
LIVIN' FOR A SONG: HANK COCHRAN

7 48 NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE REPRISE 2,585
PSYCHEDELIC PILL
32 49 STONE SOUR ROADRUNNER 2,514
HOUSE OF GOLD & BONES PART ONE
45 50 GREEN DAY REPRISE 2,278
UNO

teesharky

Nice update for Carrie! Hope she can stay between 14-16k.

That was clearly a country heavy update though as TS is projected to sell 200k, so I expect the final update to be smaller.

Mezik

That's a good update for Carrie - hoping she'll end the week at least around 15K.

I'm glad her label is having a sale for her album on Black Friday - The only way for this album to even have a chance at selling 2,000,000 is if it sell's 1,000,000 by the end of this year, and with these sales it looks more and more feasible that she'll reach 1,000,000 this year. I'm hoping she has a killer performance and wins a televised award at the AMAs, that would give her a nice sales boost as well. Also if she gets nominated for any of the Grammy Nomination ceremony she should get a decent boost to. I'm hoping the label discounts the album near Christmas to, that way she'll get another great sales boost.

Does anyone have numbers for total World Wide, Canada and Australia sales?