Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album Sales, Blown Away Era, Week 38

clh_hilary

Pretty much the same.

Week 38: 10,477 / 1,668,197

For the same period, we have:

Week 11 (week ending January 17, 2010): 21,793 / 1,227,099

Very difficult to compare, obviously...But I don't think you have the correct sales for "Blown Away". Last released Billboard chart-week it's at 1,236,949 copies, so adding HDD's projected sales for the week it'll be at 1,247,426 copies sold. Compared it to the sales of "Play On", obviously the latter was selling better, with a way higher weekly sum and a very close total despite being way newer at that point of time.

One thing to remember though, is that "Mama's Song" slowed down PO a lot and BA might still remain consistent. The Grammy's might be able to push it to around 1.5 million copies with discounts here & there plus the video effect. After that, 2 million copies sold (~ sales of PO) would not be a distant dream, but certainly it's not a guarantee. It's always possible for BA to not produce another album-moving hit, but I think "See You Again", "Do You Think About Me", "Cupid's Got A Shotgun", "One Way Ticket" all could potentially be albums shifters, and songs like "Leave Love Alone" & "Wine After Whiskey" would also be decent hits, and definitely would be bigger than MS, or "Don't Forget To Remember Me". Will not have another hit like BA which basically pushed 700k copies of albums, though.

what is the total sale now?? :D

Around 1.25 million copies sold. Slightly above it globally, but not much.

HDD is only providing sales projections, not actual, official sales.

teesharky

^ Agree that Mama's Song killed PO. They should have released a 5th single as she took an entire year off the radio pretty much, so there was no reason not to release a 5th single while she was writing for album 4. It would have ended the album on a higher note sales wise and buzz wise.

They better release like 6 singles off BA as Carrie is not even going to start album 5 until 2014 due to Sound of Music. So they need to stretch this album out for a bit.

clh_hilary

^ Agree that Mama's Song killed PO. They should have released a 5th single as she took an entire year off the radio pretty much, so there was no reason not to release a 5th single while she was writing for album 4. It would have ended the album on a higher note sales wise and buzz wise.

They better release like 6 singles off BA as Carrie is not even going to start album 5 until 2014 due to Sound of Music. So they need to stretch this album out for a bit.

They were probably afraid of a worse chart-showing than MS'. And to commit to continuing the tradition of not releasing Carrie's favourite song on the albums as singles.

Manchs

Very difficult to compare, obviously...But I don't think you have the correct sales for "Blown Away". Last released Billboard chart-week it's at 1,236,949 copies, so adding HDD's projected sales for the week it'll be at 1,247,426 copies sold. Compared it to the sales of "Play On", obviously the latter was selling better, with a way higher weekly sum and a very close total despite being way newer at that point of time.

One thing to remember though, is that "Mama's Song" slowed down PO a lot and BA might still remain consistent. The Grammy's might be able to push it to around 1.5 million copies with discounts here & there plus the video effect. After that, 2 million copies sold (~ sales of PO) would not be a distant dream, but certainly it's not a guarantee. It's always possible for BA to not produce another album-moving hit, but I think "See You Again", "Do You Think About Me", "Cupid's Got A Shotgun", "One Way Ticket" all could potentially be albums shifters, and songs like "Leave Love Alone" & "Wine After Whiskey" would also be decent hits, and definitely would be bigger than MS, or "Don't Forget To Remember Me". Will not have another hit like BA which basically pushed 700k copies of albums, though

I don't, cause I didn't post Blown Away numbers. :) They were strictly Play On numbers, one around the same period and the other what it sold the same week. I know things are different this time around, different years, different season releases, it's hard to compare, but we can compare still. Hopefully, with the right promotion and singles, this album can go close to 2x platinum. We already have the Grammys performance. Hoping for an ACM and AI performances. I think releasing One Way Ticket, Leave Love Alone and Wine After Whiskey could make the album go 2x platinum.

supercarriefan

I can't believe it has been over two years, and some are still complaining about MS as a single :p. Can we drop it already? Carrie has gone on to have number one singles since MS, so clearly it didn't do too much damage at radio. I honestly don't think that a 5th single would have helped anything. Carrie and her team did the right thing by ending the era when they did.

Manchs

I can't believe it has been over two years, and some are still complaining about MS as a single :p. Can we drop it already? Carrie has gone on to have number one singles since MS, so clearly it didn't do too much damage at radio. I honestly don't think that a 5th single would have helped anything. Carrie and her team did the right thing by ending the era when they did.

Nah, they didn't do the right thing by ending the era when they did, not even what they ended with was acceptable, IMO. Just 4 singles and MS to close the era was absurd. :p The era should have been something like that:

1. Cowboy Casanova
2. What Can I Say
3. Undo It
4. Someday When I Stop Loving You (I don't like but it's a fan favorite)
5. This Time

Alright, I'll stop now.

supercarriefan

^I still stand by my opinion of that song as a single. ;)

Go ahead and stand by your opinion. I'm just sick of hearing about MS over 2 years later :).

Nah, they didn't do the right thing by ending the era when they did, not even what they ended with was acceptable, IMO. Just 4 singles and MS to close the era was absurd. :p The era should have been something like that:

1. Cowboy Casanova
2. What Can I Say
3. Undo It
5. This Time

Alright, I'll stop now.

So, what you are saying is that you had a problem with the era as a whole (not just the end), and only agreed with CC and UI? Seems you should have far greater concerns than MS then. Actually, let's not open up that discussion either ;).

Manchs

Go ahead and stand by your opinion. I'm just sick of hearing about MS over 2 years later :).

So, what you are saying is that you had a problem with the era as a whole (not just the end), and only agreed with CC and UI? Seems you should have far greater concerns than MS then. Actually, let's not open up that discussion either ;).

I do :p Temporary Home did not deserve the single treatment over What Can I Say or This Time.

Alright, I'll leave it at that. :p

Manchs

Carrie Underwood, Blown Away (10,000, -7%, 1.247 million) (#37 BB200)
Carrie Underwood, Play On (2,000, +61%, 2.172 million)
Carrie Underwood, Some Hearts (2,000, +32%, 7.29 million)
Carrie Underwood, Carnival Ride (1,000, +50%, 3.308 million)

Total Albums: 14,017,000

Carrie Underwood, Two Black Cadillacs (32,000, +4%, 240,000)
Carrie Underwood, Good Girl (13,000, -10%, 1.58 million)
Carrie Underwood, Before He Cheats (5,000, -11%, 3.687 million)
Carrie Underwood, Jesus, Take the Wheel (4,000, 0 change, 2.119 million)
Carrie Underwood, Temporary Home (2,000, 0 change, 930,000)

Carrie Underwood, How Great Thou Art (2,000, -8%, 402,000)

No Blown Away this week. :confused: Either way, Temporary Home is SO going Platinum :D

teesharky

Awesome! TH deserves to be platinum!

I forget: is ITYS already platinum or is it close? Tx.

i hope we get BA single figures as well as CC figures due to 2x platinum soon.

Manchs

Awesome! TH deserves to be platinum!

I forget: is ITYS already platinum or is it close? Tx.

i hope we get BA single figures as well as CC figures due to 2x platinum soon.

Very close... IIRC, as of October 22, 2011, it had sold 891,000 copies. It should go Platinum really really soon.
Temporary Home is selling really well. When a girl sang it on Idol last year, in February, I remember it was at 819,000. Nice to see it sold 111k in less than a year. :)
We should get BA numbers when Roughstock posts the top 30... maybe, Brian could update his article.

JB172

1. Cowboy Casanova
2. What Can I Say
3. Undo It
5. This Time

Alright, I'll stop now.

IMO there was never going to be a 5th single to begin with because Carrie wanted to go spend time with her new husband and MS had nothing to do with how the Play On era ended.

Manchs

IMO there was never going to be a 5th single to begin with because Carrie wanted to go spend time with her new husband and MS had nothing to do with how the Play On era ended.

It should have had a 5th single, IMO, even if her label or Carrie herself didn't want to. MS was a very weak single (just look at its radio and digital performance) and didn't help much push album sales. That's another discussion, though. :p

NC State Carrie Fan

Wish we woulda got Blown Away numbers but we'll haft to wait for roughstock but store about Temporary Home!!!! Now I really want numbers for Wasted and Undo It! Temporary Home could be Carries 12th Platinum single!