Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album Sales, Blown Away Era, Week 38

supercarriefan

It should have had a 5th single, IMO, even if her label or Carrie herself didn't want to. MS was a very weak single (just look at its radio and digital performance) and didn't help much push album sales. That's another discussion, though. :p

Yeah, a number two song is just a terrible performance ;). Wow, we are a spoiled fanbase.

teesharky

Sweet! ^ Tx Darabe. So she should be at 1.8 mill in a few weeks. Then just 200k more to go for 2x platinum.

Carrie Underwood Blown Away 30,000 36,000 1,761,000

Burst

Temporary Home has sold much more than I thought it would have by this point. That's good though, one of my favourite singles out of her career. :)

clh_hilary

I don't, cause I didn't post Blown Away numbers. :) They were strictly Play On numbers, one around the same period and the other what it sold the same week. I know things are different this time around, different years, different season releases, it's hard to compare, but we can compare still. Hopefully, with the right promotion and singles, this album can go close to 2x platinum. We already have the Grammys performance. Hoping for an ACM and AI performances. I think releasing One Way Ticket, Leave Love Alone and Wine After Whiskey could make the album go 2x platinum.

Oops my bad. :p Misunderstanding!

Well if she is to pull a Shania and release all the songs as singles (they probably would not all hit #1, but at least Top 10), there's no way it's not going beyond 2 million copies!

Having a fifth single would not have changed Carrie's career dramatically (Unless something like "Quitter" crosses over...), but it would at least have added 200-300k copies of album sales to "Play On", which would of course not sufficient for it to obtain a Triple Platinum certification, but, a sale is a sale! And there would probably be another Gold, if not Platinum single, more Country airplay in total equals to a higher radio familiarity and more money for the writer(s).

I don't think she herself would need to be there to promote the single actively. At most she'll need a few days in total for radio interviews and maybe a performance or two. She doesn't even have to do a video. I think it's really just to do with MS underperforming on radio at that time. It's like how Katy Perry's label did not release "Hummingbird Heartbeat" as a single after "The One That Got Away".

Manchs

Oops my bad. :p Misunderstanding!

Well if she is to pull a Shania and release all the songs as singles (they probably would not all hit #1, but at least Top 10), there's no way it's not going beyond 2 million copies!

Having a fifth single would not have changed Carrie's career dramatically (Unless something like "Quitter" crosses over...), but it would at least have added 200-300k copies of album sales to "Play On", which would of course not sufficient for it to obtain a Triple Platinum certification, but, a sale is a sale! And there would probably be another Gold, if not Platinum single, more Country airplay in total equals to a higher radio familiarity and more money for the writer(s).

I don't think she herself would need to be there to promote the single actively. At most she'll need a few days in total for radio interviews and maybe a performance or two. She doesn't even have to do a video. I think it's really just to do with MS underperforming on radio at that time. It's like how Katy Perry's label did not release "Hummingbird Heartbeat" as a single after "The One That Got Away".

No problem. :p

If Carrie was going to release 5 singles from Play On (the same singles she released, plus one) the album would have probably sold by now 200k-300k more. Had she chose the right singles, it could be really close to 3x platinum (SWISLY, WCIS). TH and MS were just poor choices.

I want her so bad to release at least 5 singles this time around. :( I think 5 singles is almost a guarantee to a 2x platinum album. Depending on the choice, the 5th single could be a hit right around Christmas and boost sales a bit (not really that much, though, but as you said, a sale is a sale). She doesn't really have to promote that much. Perform BA at the Grammys, TBC on AI and at the ACMs. I don't think it's that much. She could release the 4th single and just release a video and perform it at the CMAs. The 5th single could be promoted really well (ACAs, PCAs, Grammys, idk) and she would have to choose a very good single to close the era with a bang. Sounds good to me. :p

Pi314CA

Here's all of Carrie's sales number for the past week in one post, which includes the exact sales number for the BA album. I'll update with exact numbers if they become available.

Albums:
Carrie Underwood, Blown Away (10,170, -7% (sold 10,893 the prior wk), 1,247,119) (#37 BB200)
Carrie Underwood, Play On (2,000, +61%, 2.172 million)
Carrie Underwood, Some Hearts (2,000, +32%, 7.29 million)
Carrie Underwood, Carnival Ride (1,000, +50%, 3.308 million)

Tracks:
Carrie Underwood, Two Black Cadillacs (32,000, +4%, 240,000)
Carrie Underwood, Blown Away (30,000, -17%, 1.761 million)
Carrie Underwood, Good Girl (13,000, -10%, 1.58 million)
Carrie Underwood, Before He Cheats (5,000, -11%, 3.687 million)
Carrie Underwood, Jesus, Take the Wheel (4,000, 0 change, 2.119 million)
Carrie Underwood, Temporary Home (2,000, 0 change, 930,000)
Carrie Underwood, How Great Thou Art (2,000, -8%, 402,000)

clh_hilary

No problem. :p

If Carrie was going to release 5 singles from Play On (the same singles she released, plus one) the album would have probably sold by now 200k-300k more. Had she chose the right singles, it could be really close to 3x platinum (SWISLY, WCIS). TH and MS were just poor choices.

I want her so bad to release at least 5 singles this time around. :( I think 5 singles is almost a guarantee to a 2x platinum album. Depending on the choice, the 5th single could be a hit right around Christmas and boost sales a bit (not really that much, though, but as you said, a sale is a sale). She doesn't really have to promote that much. Perform BA at the Grammys, TBC on AI and at the ACMs. I don't think it's that much. She could release the 4th single and just release a video and perform it at the CMAs. The 5th single could be promoted really well (ACAs, PCAs, Grammys, idk) and she would have to choose a very good single to close the era with a bang. Sounds good to me. :p

Yup, I don't even think Shania Twain put intense promotional efforts into her latter singles each era...

Releasing everything as singles is not always a good idea because of the potential overkill and the killing of momentum. But in Carrie's case, I cannot possibly see anything bad happen. If whatever later single she releases 'flops' in the sense of Brad Paisley's "Camouflage", Rascal Flatts' "Why", Sugarland's "Tonight", etc. it definitely would not be a good idea to release another single, as it might very well damage her reputation as a consistent hit-maker, or at best do absolutely nothing anyway. It's like how Lady GaGa stopped after "Marry The Night", or Britney Spears stopped after "Criminal". Even though it's always equally possible for anyone to have a big smash after an underperformer, like Rihanna with "Where Have You Been" after "You Da One"/"Talk That Talk"/"Birthday Cake", "Cheers (Drink To That)" after "California King Bed"/"Man Down"; Christina Aguilera with "Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You)" after "I Turn To You", but it'd make more sense to stop there.

But for Country artists, I really don't see an overkill - It's not like a Country #1 smash would typically be all over the place. That's only the standard for a Pop #1 hit. The only legitimate concern would be having her streak ruined. But honestly, it's not even a record-breaking #1 streak anymore, shouldn't we care about more important things, such as money and sales?