Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album Sales, Storyteller Era

maddkat

Staff member
saw this article - https://medium.com/@RIAA/the-state-of-music-mid-way-through-2017-7e90cad298f9
and this graphic

mhsf9y.jpg

with the most revenue coming for subscription services
what subscription service started in 2015? Apple Music.It changed everything

pklongbeach

Wow....... I think the concept of availability through download and streaming has just changed the way most people get music. I come from a generation that used to buy CD's. Now in this time I don't stream and I don't buy downloads. But I don't buy Cd's anymore either......

The culture of going out to buy music at a store is almost dead.

Thaleous

Wow....... I think the concept of availability through download and streaming has just changed the way most people get music. I come from a generation that used to buy CD's. Now in this time I don't stream and I don't buy downloads. But I don't buy Cd's anymore either......

The culture of going out to buy music at a store is almost dead.

I am only 23, but I still prefer having the physical copy of Carrie's album. Having to wait until 8 am for my local Target to open so I can get the deluxe edition of Storyteller was torture. I was shaking with anxiety and happiness while I waited outside the store. I'm probably one of very few people my age that buy a physical album.

teesharky

I still like to buy the physical copy of my fav artists. For everyone else I buy it on itunes. But for Carrie, I buy both. lol

I am only 23, but I still prefer having the physical copy of Carrie's album. Having to wait until 8 am for my local Target to open so I can get the deluxe edition of Storyteller was torture. I was shaking with anxiety and happiness while I waited outside the store. I'm probably one of very few people my age that buy a physical album.

My mom’s still kind of the same way in that she likes to buy the cds in their true physical form,but she comes from the generation that played records on record players & jukeboxes & just bought the vinyl if they wanted to hear every song on the record (boy do I sound old!!).The cd didn’t really come until like the late 70s early 80s when I was born along with my brother & sister who had cds out the wazoo when we were growing up & I had them too until it became too cumbersome to carry the cds around in cd sleeves to keep them safe.If I want to listen to Carrie’s music or any music in general,I buy it off of Itunes or use Spotify or Pandora & just listen to any music that I want without the hassle of carrying cds around that might get dropped or damaged.There will always be some diehards or old schoolers who like consuming their music that way because they just hate changing with the times.So maybe you’re not as in the minority as you think you are!!

maddkat

Staff member

there's something special about having the cd right in your hands

carriefan14

^ I buy the physicals so I can read the thank you letters. Carrie is grest at writing those notes.

Also the pictures are amazing in person!

adam1995

Hey guys, I don't know where else to ask this, but I know someone here updates Carrie's wikipedia page. I don't know if they can do other pages also, but I was looking at this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recording_Industry_Association_of_America_certification#Records_2 and noticed that Carrie is not listed with the artists with at least 20 single certifications, even though by my rough estimate she has at least 52 different RIAA certifications for her singles. Don't know if anyone can do anything, but just thought I'd ask.

Farawayhills

Hey guys, I don't know where else to ask this, but I know someone here updates Carrie's wikipedia page. I don't know if they can do other pages also, but I was looking at this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recording_Industry_Association_of_America_certification#Records_2 and noticed that Carrie is not listed with the artists with at least 20 single certifications, even though by my rough estimate she has at least 52 different RIAA certifications for her singles. Don't know if anyone can do anything, but just thought I'd ask.

I think CarrieAddicted said that he/she did a lot of work on Carrie's Wikipedia page (though I don't remember seeing that poster on the board lately). In fact, anyone could edit it, and if you click on edit in the section you're interested in, a template should appear, enabling you to add information, and list your editing briefly in the page's history.

With regard to the RIAA page on Wikipedia, I notice there are several complaints on the talk page that the lists are incomplete and inaccurate for a lot of artists. I can't comment on the figures, since I don't really follow that aspect of the industry - but this is the RIAA's own information, which (assuming it's up to date) should help determine what is missing on Wikipedia:
https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=default-award&se=Carrie+Underwood#search_section

Kizmet311

With the ticket/album bundles like Kenny & Pink did, do you automatically get the album with every ticket purchase or do you have to select the ticket/album option specifically? I really hope Carrie does this, otherwise we just need to prepare ourselves for an abysmally low number for album sales. I don't think she'll hit 100k without it, although I could be wrong.

adam1995

With the ticket/album bundles like Kenny & Pink did, do you automatically get the album with every ticket purchase or do you have to select the ticket/album option specifically? I really hope Carrie does this, otherwise we just need to prepare ourselves for an abysmally low number for album sales. I don't think she'll hit 100k without it, although I could be wrong.

Really, you don't think she won't hit 100K without this? I think she could easily top 100K, I think 200K would be difficult. But, yes, I agree that she should do this. Kenny sold 219K with a live album with really no new songs, imagine if it was new music. And P!nk sold near 400K with a new album. With a release like this Carrie could easily top 300K I bet. Really hoping this is the route the choose. And with a really massive hit it could only help.

Last edited:

Kizmet311

Really, you don't think she won't hit 100K without this? I think she could easily top 100K, I think 200K would be difficult. But, yes, I agree that she should do this. Kenny sold 219K with a live album with really no new songs, imagine if it was new music. And P!nk sold near 400K with a new album. With a release like this Carrie could easily top 300K I bet. Really hoping this is the route the choose. And with a really massive hit it could only help.

I guess I'm just being really pessimistic about the current album sales climate, lol. Kelly Clarkson did just do around 70k I think, so Carrie should surpass her sales, I think. So, maybe 100k is doable. Storyteller came out right after Apple Music really got going and was having it's 3 month free trial periods, which obviously hurt its first week. She was still close to 200k, though. I do think streaming is eating away at physical sales more and more, so I don't know where that puts Carrie's next album if it sells similarly to Storyteller. And by that, I mean, what would be a comparable number today to 177,000 for Storyteller? What can Carrie sell in today's streaming climate when streaming was just really getting going two years ago? In additional to Apple Music, you have more people doing Spotify and now Amazon has their subscription service (Amazon Music Unlimited, which I use). I think she WILL sell less than Storyteller without a ticket bundle for sure, but how much less is the question.

I kind of look at it like box office sales for movies. Box Office Mojo has charts for most revenue all-time, but then you have charts adjusted for inflation of ticket prices. With albums, it is more like, adjusted for the effect of streaming. So, what does 177,000 look like today with SPS?

adam1995

I guess I'm just being really pessimistic about the current album sales climate, lol. Kelly Clarkson did just do around 70k I think, so Carrie should surpass her sales, I think. So, maybe 100k is doable. Storyteller came out right after Apple Music really got going and was having it's 3 month free trial periods, which obviously hurt its first week. She was still close to 200k, though. I do think streaming is eating away at physical sales more and more, so I don't know where that puts Carrie's next album if it sells similarly to Storyteller. And by that, I mean, what would be a comparable number today to 177,000 for Storyteller? What can Carrie sell in today's streaming climate when streaming was just really getting going two years ago? In additional to Apple Music, you have more people doing Spotify and now Amazon has their subscription service (Amazon Music Unlimited, which I use). I think she WILL sell less than Storyteller without a ticket bundle for sure, but how much less is the question.

I kind of look at it like box office sales for movies. Box Office Mojo has charts for most revenue all-time, but then you have charts adjusted for inflation of ticket prices. With albums, it is more like, adjusted for the effect of streaming. So, what does 177,000 look like today with SPS?

Agreed. Seems a ticket bundle is a must to maximize album sales. UMG seems incredibly determined to make Carrie even bigger, so I'd be surprised if they didn't do a bundle.

Kizmet311

Agreed. Seems a ticket bundle is a must to maximize album sales. UMG seems incredibly determined to make Carrie even bigger, so I'd be surprised if they didn't do a bundle.

After seeing how much it boosted Pink's first week and Kenny's live album, they would be crazy not to do it. I read the article from Billboard about Kenny and I think it is a fair system. The "sale" of the album with the ticket only counts toward the charts if the person redeems their code to download/buy the album. If they don't redeem the code, it doesn't count.

Josh

After seeing how much it boosted Pink's first week and Kenny's live album, they would be crazy not to do it. I read the article from Billboard about Kenny and I think it is a fair system. The "sale" of the album with the ticket only counts toward the charts if the person redeems their code to download/buy the album. If they don't redeem the code, it doesn't count.

It would have a sharp drop the second week, though. I kind of want to see her do well without the ticket bundle, but I wouldn't mind is she did it.

Kizmet311

It would have a sharp drop the second week, though. I kind of want to see her do well without the ticket bundle, but I wouldn't mind is she did it.

Yeah, but no body pays attention to the second week that much, especially now with streaming. If she doesn't do a ticket bundle, then I think we need to be prepared for a steep drop from what Storyteller sold its first week.

adam1995

But starting at 300K vs. 100K puts her in a far better position to go Gold and Platinum.