Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album/Track Sales, Week 50, Blown Away Era

clh_hilary

1. Great sales for Blown Away! It has everything to do with her ACM performance and the sale, but remember the sale was merely digital so it couldn't have been the bigger factor considering it wasn't as dramatic as the last one. 'See You Again' is irrelevant, with the dismal airplay it had for the last chart week.

2. No need to shade Taylor Swift for the relatively low sales to Red really. She didn't perform anything on the album at the ACMs, and she didn't win anything. Why should she have an increase considering her current single, '22', is exclusively Pop and is not doing very well itself in sales? She is also dropping in sales from the music video premiere earlier. It's all very normal.

3. Whether Carrie will get the Double Platinum certification at 1.8 million copies sold is very difficult to tell. Luke Bryan's album isn't a very good example because he's never sold much on a week-to-week basis, so it's entirely for him to have fewer excessive shipments. And, it may also have something to do with his team not being aggressive is certifying records. If BA reaches that mark long before the end of the era, I think it's possible for her team to over-certify her to create buzz for more sales.

4. Miranda Lambert's Four The Record not being inside of the Top 50 is definitely not of any surprise. She never sells that many albums, and FTR already had sold much already. Out of the four singles she's released, only two of them have been having some kind of sales impact (on themselves and/or the album), so it's understandable for the buying public to not have enough faith in her to buy the entire album instead of just the singles 'Mama's Broken Heart' & 'Over You', which they've loved. But for OY, it's not selling all that much despite the big win because it already had received a lot of exposure!

Claire2004

Great sales for Blown Away! Go get the 2x platinum, Carrie lol. :)

Question, has Over You achieved 2x platinum? And what is the current total sales for FTR? Too lazy to find out lol. Thanks!

DaisyTweets

nice! Carrie had a much bigger impact even though she lost at ACMS. Her performance was epic though-- and she deserved to win-- so maybe people were pissed she lost so they rushed out and bought the cd. lol

Finally 1.4 million. Only 600k from 2x platinum. :) I figure 1.8 scanned should be enough for 2x platinum certification, so maybe 400k more sold?
Anyone else see the aircheck for this week? For those that either didn't see it or hear about it, there was an ad touting the success of the ACMs and which female artist's picture do you think they used in the ad??? Now you might think they'd use the photo of the FVOTY BUT you'd be wrong! No siree, they used the picture of the true queen of country, Carrie Underwood!!! Ever since I saw that I've been shaking my head and rolling my eyes -- done it so much I think my head might come off -- what in the world! Guess its true, a picture is worth a thousand words!!!!

clh_hilary

I didn't really follow her, but as of 12 April, I have this:

73 RCNA 67 74 66 LAMBERT*MIRANDA FOUR THE RECORD 7,533 -1 7,616 784,634

1 RCNA 169 LAMBERT*MIRANDA OVER YOU 13,642 125 6,075 1,263,549

The Voice's version probably sold around 300k copies.

maddkat

Staff member
Anyone else see the aircheck for this week? For those that either didn't see it or hear about it, there was an ad touting the success of the ACMs and which female artist's picture do you think they used in the ad??? Now you might think they'd use the photo of the FVOTY BUT you'd be wrong! No siree, they used the picture of the true queen of country, Carrie Underwood!!! Ever since I saw that I've been shaking my head and rolling my eyes -- done it so much I think my head might come off -- what in the world! Guess its true, a picture is worth a thousand words!!!!
they've been trying for 4 years now to make her a superstar - showering her with awards and accolades over more deserving artist -never gonna happen, ever.They need to stop.

pklongbeach

Well, this is only relevant to this tread as it follows the same train of thought that you guys have been (with respect to Carries sales compared to Mirandas):

In the market yesterday I picked up "People: The Country Edition". And for the first time, I think, ever (since Carrie came into the industry) there was not one single picture of Carrie in the entire magazine! Not one!
Now, that does not seem too terribly strange, except that to thumb through a magazine that is intended to "celebrate" the year in country music and to see so many of the standard artists that you would expect to see, and some you might not, considering it is alot of magazine to fill, I was dumb-struck truly. I almost had to go back through to see if I was right. But by 3/4 of the way through I knew I was not going to find one, and sure enough. Not a single one. Not even a mention. Not s single image. Nothing! (Keep in mind we are still in the selling era of one of the best selling artists of the year!!!!!)
They had probably 25 to 30 different Artists through out it in one way or another. You name them, they were in it!

Now Miranda: I did not count them but it is easy to say that there we more than 13 diffrent images alone, to say nothing about comments related to her. Keep in mind Blake was on the cover so there was going to be lots of mention of her and I would expect that.
But milk commercials, soday pop store adds, Pistol Annie stories, Miranda-charitible stories, Miranda-The good wife stories, concert images, on and on and on..........

Now keep in mind: I am well aware that Carrie has had her time in magazines, and I am not trying to take anything away from Miranda Lambert. But as a concious focused Carrie-fan, I will tell you without doubt, "Carrie has never been that exposed in a magazine Ever. At least every 3rd page had Mirandas image on it, All The Way Through!
And not one single image of Carrie in a 100 page magazine fully devoted to the artists of coutnry music? Everyone of which was shown within its pages??

I have not seen anything like it in 8 years.

Frankly I don't think I have ever seen anything like it.
I have never seen a magazine push Taylor swift so heavily! And we all know you can not get through an mag anymore without seeing Taylor.

It was dishearening to see a magazine celebrating country music that never ever mentioned Carrie once (considering she had a huge album huge tour and 3 #1 singles)

IT was also absurd to see a magazine take every possible angle to include Miranda Lamberts image throughout and in every concievable way.

I mention this partily because it is so obvious who the industry wants to try to convince America is the most popular female artist in country music today.
But also because when you consider how many albums it is equaling in sales, it throws out the winder any ideas that they are doing cause Miranda is making them money and Carrie isn't.

Its almost swimming against the marketing stream. Very odd!!

(btw, there was plenty of TS. But I would guess she was included about 1/4 as much as Miranda. Now Thats Alot OF Miranda Lambert!!!)

opry051008

they've been trying for 4 years now to make her a superstar - showering her with awards and accolades over more deserving artist -never gonna happen, ever.They need to stop.

Considering the horrendous success rate of females in country music, I'd say that Miranda is a superstar. She's not Carrie or Taylor but imo she's definitely a country music superstar. But I agree with most of you that when the accolades stop coming, her career will take a hit.

pklongbeach

Considering the horrendous success rate of females in country music, I'd say that Miranda is a superstar. She's not Carrie or Taylor but imo she's definitely a country music superstar. But I agree with most of you that when the accolades stop coming, her career will take a hit.

But thats just it: What makes her a superstar? Public perception? Industry Illusion?

IF you look at the way society has responded to her, she would have long since been gone if the industry did not continue to prop her up in the center of the their universe.

Has she had increased sales due to this tremendous amout of industry manipulation? Yes!
But not nearly what you would expect considering the industry is trying to make you believe that she is a huge Superstar!

You just called her a superstar. And I wonder what perception you are using to determine that.

Claire2004

^^Well, to be fair, her first 3 albums went platinum, with her latest, FTR reaching Gold status so far. Some of her singles have good sales, most recently Over You and Mama's Broken Heart. I don't have the complete stats on her tours since they don't appear often on the Boxscore reports lol, but I do know she has increased her audience size. Pre-THTBM, she played to 2K-3K people, but that has increased now. I think. Lol. No idea on the success of her co-headlining tour with Dierks though.

pklongbeach

Yah, there is no doubt in my mind that she and the industry are having success pushing her as a mega superstar. I just find that it is a very hard sell and don't understand why they are trying so hard.

IT seems to me there are other women in the industry that, if given this level of exposure, could clearly break big.
So I guess I just don't get her. And don't understand the committed focus on making her into a star. As opposed to people like Carrie or Taylor or others, who show alot of potencial for public interest and would "therefore, warrant" industry promotion.

maddkat

Staff member
But thats just it: What makes her a superstar? Public perception? Industry Illusion?

IF you look at the way society has responded to her, she would have long since been gone if the industry did not continue to prop her up in the center of the their universe.

Has she had increased sales due to this tremendous amout of industry manipulation? Yes!
But not nearly what you would expect considering the industry is trying to make you believe that she is a huge Superstar!

You just called her a superstar. And I wonder what perception you are using to determine that.

exactly, what way is she a superstar? Through PR only that I can see.I'm not saying she's not a star, she is but a superstar? Not even close.Take away her relation to Blake and the vast majority have no clue who she is outside of Nashville.Once the pimping stops she'll barely be a blip on the radar of America.

Pi314CA

I would say that Miranda is a star, but not a superstar. I look it as, of all the country music acts, who is superstar status. I wouldn't use the fact that she is female to grade her. Until she solely headlines a tour, gets big sales, and has a very large audience appeal, she is at a star status. The following that goes with being a superstar, like Carrie, is something that Miranda has not achieved.

Pi314CA

Bummer, Brad again misses out on getting a #1 on BB 200.

Week Ending April 14, 2013. Albums: Keeping Brad Paisley Humble
By Paul Grein | Chart Watch

Right about now, Brad Paisley is probably wondering what he has to do to land a #1 album. His new Wheelhouse enters The Billboard 200 at #2 (behind Paramore’s new album). Unless it moves up to #1 in a subsequent week, which rarely happens, it will be his fourth album to peak at #2, following Time Well Wasted, American Saturday Night and This Is Country Music. Only one other artist in chart history has had as many as four #2 albums without reaching #1. Sheryl Crow reached the runner-up spot with four consecutive releases from 2002 through 2008: C’mon, C’mon, The Very Best Of Sheryl Crow, Wildflowers and Detours.

“Accidental Racist,” a track from Wheelhouse, has stirred considerable buzz and controversy. (The consensus is that it was a well-intentioned, but clumsy, attempt to start a conversation about race.) The track, a collabo with LL Cool J, enters Hot Digital Songs at #50 (based on sales of 43K copies). That puts it ahead of “Beat This Summer,” the first single from the album, which sold 32K copies.

Here’s the low-down on this week’s top 10 albums.

The Top Five: Paramore’s Paramore debuts at #1 (106K). It’s the band’s second top 10 album…Brad Paisley’s Wheelhouse debuts at #2 (100K). It’s his eighth top 10 album…Justin Timberlake’s The 20/20 Experience drops from #1 to #3 in its fourth week (98K). It has been in the top five the entire time… Blake Shelton’s Based On A True Story… holds at #4 for the second week in its third week (61K). It has ranked in the top five the entire time…Eric Church’s live album Caught In The Act debuts at #5 (61K). It’s his second top 10 album.

The Second Five: The Band Perry’s Pioneer drops from #2 to #6 in its second week (56K)…Tyga’s Hotel California debuts at #7 (54K). It’s his second top 10 album… Lil Wayne’s I Am Not A Human Being II drops from #5 to #8 in its third week (42K)…Volbeat’s Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies debuts at #9 (39K). It’s the band’s first top 10 album… Stone Sour’s House Of Gold & Bones Pt. 2 debuts at #10 (35K). It’s the band’s fourth top 10 album.

opry051008

I was being specific to a female in the country music world. I think she is a superstar in respect to record sales, touring, accolades and respect of the country music industry.

Yes Miranda was propped up the the country music industry but American Idol shot Carrie into superstardom. Carrie has maintained that status but I have said that I agree with many of you, that Miranda will not.

opry051008

I would say that Miranda is a star, but not a superstar. I look it as, of all the country music acts, who is superstar status. I wouldn't use the fact that she is female to grade her. Until she solely headlines a tour, gets big sales, and has a very large audience appeal, she is at a star status. The following that goes with being a superstar, like Carrie, is something that Miranda has not achieved.

I think it is fair to use that fact that she is female because it is so very difficult for females in the genre.

Pi314CA

I think it is fair to use that fact that she is female because it is so very difficult for females in the genre.

I understand. And that make sense when considering various female only awards.

My point is that a superstar is a superstar, regardless of gender. In this case, Miranda's female superstar status does not make it in the top 10 biggest country stars, whereas Carrie does. So from this perspective, Miranda is not a superstar in my eyes. When I think of a "superstar" in music in any genre, I have a certain set of expectations for that person. That's all.

opry051008

I understand. And that make sense when considering various female only awards.

My point is that a superstar is a superstar, regardless of gender. In this case, Miranda's female superstar status does not make it in the top 10 biggest country stars, whereas Carrie does. So from this perspective, Miranda is not a superstar in my eyes. When I think of a "superstar" in music in any genre, I have a certain set of expectations for that person. That's all.

I guess we all have our own definition of "superstar" in the same way we have different concepts of "success" and Carrie's use of the word "soon". :)

pklongbeach

YEah, I think it is fair to say that perception is everything in the entertainment industry.
In the "olden days" major actors and actresses were commonly used for films and publicity stunts just to keep them as a viable public image for the studio.
And I think that is what Miranda is. And its a great gig if you are Miranda Lambert.

Its just that within the industry and media and publications specific to the industry she is being treated like "the top" of the hype. And in reality that is not true. So there is an odd disparency there. And I have to ask myself why they work so hard to promote it.

I mentioned in another thread that I thumbed through People:Country edition and there was not a single image of Carrie. Not one. but many many pages of images of Miranda. Many more than Taylor and many many more than anyone in the industry includeing her own husband who was on the cover!!

Now that just did not make sense to me in any way considering how well the BA era has been going and the level of success that Carrie has had this year and last and how successful her headlining tour is and the fact that she just pulled in a Grammy for her vocal performance and a Grammy was given to one of her recordings.

So it just odd to me lately. The promotion for Miranda seems to be getting bigger and bigger, and her sales seem to be dropping and dropping.