Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album/Track Sales, Week 54, Blown Away Era

Pi314CA

From HITS:

YOUR ONE-DAYS: Continuing Nashville's run at the upper reaches of the album chart, Lady Antebellum should take the top spot next week, while the Jay-Z-overseen Great Gatsby soundtrack at last brings hip-hop to the roaring '20s. Here are this week's key debuts:

Lady-Antebellum1.jpg

Lady Antebellum (Capitol Nashville) 140-160k
The Great Gatsby (Interscope) 90-95k
Now 46 (Capitol) 80-85k
Pistol Annies (RCA Nashville) 75-80k
Rod Stewart (Capitol) 40-45k
She & Him (Merge) 20-25k
Music of Nashville, Vol. 2 (Big Machine) 17-20k
Natalie Maines (Columbia) 17-20k

You'll note Miranda Lambert's Pistol Annies follow-up and the second set of tunes from TV's Nashville add to country's holdings among the week's new offerings. But Dixie Chicks alumna Natalie Maines' Mother is a decidedly non-Nashville set, and takes its title from her version of a song from Pink Floyd's The Wall. Speaking of down-home American values, our own Murphy says a heaping bowl of pork cracklings makes for a hearty breakfast. (5/8p)

Last edited:

Pi314CA

^^^Are all these threads off by one week???

Update:
I just checked Cary's weekly file update thread and it shows Week 52 for sales ending 5/2/13 which he posted on 5/5/13. So, I take that Week 52 is for sales from April 22-28. Then, yesterday 5/8, sales for April 29-May 5 was published (for week 53). Thus, this week is Week 54 for sales from May 6-12.

Yes, you are correct!

supercarriefan

So, Lady A looks to be down in first week sales from their last effort, while Pistol Annies are set to be up quite a bit from theirs. Neither outcome is surprising. Both are bringing in great numbers.

Zman312

wow, I am actually shocked by LA's number, I expected them to to sell so much more than that. I was actually expecting 250-300k!

Also surprised at PA's numbers, expected them to be lower! Good for them!

clh_hilary

Lady Antebellum's last lead single, 'Just A Kiss', debuted on the Hot 100 at No.7 with astonishing sales; 'Downtown' barely made it Top 10 on iTunes. Add in the fact that Own The Night sold about half of what Need You Now did only, with a lot of its sales also coming from $0.25 deals, I don't think their not cracking 200k is at all surprising.

supercarriefan

Lady Antebellum's last lead single, 'Just A Kiss', debuted on the Hot 100 at No.7 with astonishing sales; 'Downtown' barely made it Top 10 on iTunes. Add in the fact that Own The Night sold about half of what Need You Now did only, with a lot of its sales also coming from $0.25 deals, I don't think their not cracking 200k is at all surprising.

I totally forgot about the ridiculously low prices for OTN. I'm sure Lady A will get slammed for having such a cut in sales this time around, but realistically they've just settled into normal sales for most country acts.

clh_hilary

Slammed? By who?

They are only opening with fewer copies than themselves (and it was released in the fourth quarter!), Carrie, The Lord, and Jason Aldean, right? If the projection is accurate, they are outdebuting the likes of Kenny Chesney, and perhaps the Zac Brown Band as well. Potentially outdebuting the Rascal Flatts, and definitely Keith Urban. If Sugarland is to release a new album, they are very likely to open with fewer copies unless they got a smash lead single and a lot of hype (their last one opened with around 200k copies).

supercarriefan

Slammed? By who?

They are only opening with fewer copies than themselves (and it was released in the fourth quarter!), Carrie, The Lord, and Jason Aldean, right? If the projection is accurate, they are outdebuting the likes of Kenny Chesney, and perhaps the Zac Brown Band as well. Potentially outdebuting the Rascal Flatts, and definitely Keith Urban. If Sugarland is to release a new album, they are very likely to open with fewer copies unless they got a smash lead single and a lot of hype (their last one opened with around 200k copies).

I'm sure there will be a few media comments, and some country fans who aren't fans of Lady A that will use this drop in sales to bring Lady A down. I didn't mean it would be a big backlash, but I can see some that don't like Lady A trying to turn this into a bigger deal than it is by saying they've lost their appeal and such.

You don't have to explain the sales thing to me lol. I know what they opened with last time. I'm not personally knocking these sales numbers. I think anyone that can sell over 100k is doing well for themselves in the current market. They are not outselling ZBB this time around though if the projection is on track. Uncaged opened with over 234,000 in a similiar situation to Lady A's OTN with the reduced prices.

Also, just a note (which I'm sure you will ignore), can we please stop referring to Taylor as "The Lord"? It is offensive to many here. In fact, others have asked you and the others that do it to stop. Please attempt to use her name, or at the very least that ridiculous nickname she has been given by many here (swsrn).

Pi314CA

YOUR TOP 15: With the Mother's Day weekend upon us, several of the albums below should benefit from last minute gift-giving. On the singles side of things, P!nk f/Nate Ruess and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis will battle it out for #1 for yet another week. The two songs have been swapping the #1 and #2 spots for the past month. Last week, Macklemore's "Can't Hold Us" won the top spot by about 6,500 units. Can it hold on, or will "Just Give Me A Reason" return to the top? Stay tuned. Here's how it looks headed into the weekend:

*Lady Antebellum (Capitol Nashville) 145-155k
*The Great Gatsby (Interscope) 90-95k
Michael Buble (Reprise) 80-85k
*Now 46 (Capitol) 80-85k
*Pistol Annies (RCA Nashville) 80-85k
Justin Timberlake (RCA) 60-65k
Kenny Chesney (Blue Chair/Columbia) 50-55k
*Rod Stewart (Capitol) 40-45k
Blake Shelton (Warner Bros. Nashville) 30-35k
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (Macklemore) 27-30k
Bruno Mars (Atlantic) 27-30k
Imagine Dragons (Interscope) 25-28k
P!nk (RCA) 24-27k
Fantasia (RCA) 20-23k
*She & Him (Merge) 19-21k
Florida Georgia Line (Big Machine/Republic) 19-21k
*Music of Nashville, Season 1, Vol. 2 (Big Machine) 19-21k
Fall Out Boy (Island/IDJ) 18-20k
The Band Perry (Republic Nashville) 18-20k

*Debuts

If you're searching for a last-minute Mother's Day gift, by the way, the fine folks at UMPG say the Lavender Kush Assortment is always in good taste. (5/9p)

clh_hilary

I'm sure there will be a few media comments, and some country fans who aren't fans of Lady A that will use this drop in sales to bring Lady A down. I didn't mean it would be a big backlash, but I can see some that don't like Lady A trying to turn this into a bigger deal than it is by saying they've lost their appeal and such.

I think Lady Antebellum is not relevant enough in the mainstream to be talked about that way really. Not even with Blown Away opened with Carrie's weakest had she been slammed. After a string of superstar releases opening below the 200k copies mark (ie Chris Brown, Usher, Alicia Keys, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, The Band Perry, Christina Aguilera, Ke$ha, Michael Buble, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, etc) I think people are getting used to seeing this as the new normal already.

I think in the near future only Mariah Carey's and Beyonce's will be talked about. And of course Lady GaGa's regardless of how many copies she's going to open with. Or Britney Spears if she's releasing another album this year, as I think she might very well dip below that mark this time as well.

You don't have to explain the sales thing to me lol. I know what they opened with last time. I'm not personally knocking these sales numbers. I think anyone that can sell over 100k is doing well for themselves in the current market. They are not outselling ZBB this time around though if the projection is on track. Uncaged opened with over 234,000 in a similiar situation to Lady A's OTN with the reduced prices.

Oh right, the Zac Brown Band got the massive cuts to boost their first-week sales as well.

Also, just a note (which I'm sure you will ignore), can we please stop referring to Taylor as "The Lord"? It is offensive to many here. In fact, others have asked you and the others that do it to stop. Please attempt to use her name, or at the very least that ridiculous nickname she has been given by many here (swsrn).

If people have to take it religiously I believe I have my personal religious freedom to worship anyone or anything as my Lord. Not to mention Lordship is a way lower rank than other honorific titles such as Queen, King, Emperor, Empress, or even Professor. (And we do actually have a certain black lady having 'Queen' as her stage name.)

Pi314CA

'Great Gatsby' Soundtrack Selling Big, Headed for No. 2 on Billboard 200

By Keith Caulfield, Los Angeles | May 10, 2013 9:43 PM EDT

The all-star soundtrack to the film "The Great Gatsby" is off to a fast start. Industry forecasters suggest the new compilation album, which was released this past Tuesday (May 7), might sell over 100,000 copies by the end of the tracking week on Sunday (12). That's bigger than what was projected two days ago, when sources were indicating a launch of around 90,000 to 95,000.

"The Great Gatsby's" hefty sales should easily grant the title a debut at No. 2 next week on the Billboard 200 chart. Standing in its way will be Lady Antebellum's new "Golden," which will likely bow at No. 1 with around 150,000.

The new Billboard 200 chart's top 10 will be revealed on the morning of Wednesday, May 15.

"The Great Gatsby" is the companion album to the Baz Luhrmann-directed movie of the same name, which opened in U.S. theaters today (May 10). It could be the third soundtrack from a Luhrmann film to reach the top three: 1996's "Romeo + Juliet" hit No. 2, while 2001's "Moulin Rouge!" reached No. 3.

Other albums aiming for a top 10 debut next week include Pistol Annies' "Annie Up" and the new "Now 46" compilation. The albums should sell in excess of 80,000 copies each. Rod Stewart's new "Time" is also a contender for the top 10, with perhaps 40,000 or so.

On SoundScan's Building chart (below), Lady Antebellum is No. 1 while "The Great Gatsby" is No. 2. The Building tally is a precursor to the final Billboard 200 ranking -- reflecting the first four days (Monday through Thursday) of SoundScan's tracking week as reported by six major merchants.

As for the rest of the Building chart's top 10: Pistol Annies and "Now 46" are Nos. 3 and 4, respectively, while Michael Buble's "To Be Loved" sits at No. 5. Justin Timberlake's "The 20/20 Experience" is No. 6, Kenny Chesney's "Life On a Rock" is No. 7 and Stewart is No. 8. Blake Shelton's "Based On a True Story" is No. 9 and the new "The Music of Nashville, Vol. 2" -- the second soundtrack to the TV series "Nashville" -- is No. 10.

NIELSEN SOUNDSCAN BUILDING CHART
Rank LW
BB 200 Artist Title
1 NEW Lady Antebellum "Golden"
2 NEW Soundtrack "The Great Gatsby"
3 NEW Pistol Annies "Annie Up"
4 NEW Various Artists "Now 46"
5 2 Michael Buble "To Be Loved"
6 3 Justin Timberlake "The 20/20 Experience"
7 1 Kenny Chesney "Life On a Rock"
8 NEW Rod Stewart "Time"
9 6 Blake Shelton "Based On a True Story"
10 NEW Soundtrack "The Music of Nashville, Vol. 2"

The Building Chart reflects the first four days (Monday through Thursday) of SoundScan's tracking week (which ends Sunday) as reported by six major merchants: iTunes, Trans World Entertainment, Best Buy, Starbucks, Target and Anderson Merchandisers. Billboard estimates that they make up about 85% of all U.S. album sales.

teesharky

I bought the Gatsby soundtrack and it is amazing! Love almost every song. I am surprised LAdy A's numbers are so low though. Must be due to the summer release deal like Carrie's lower numbers last year.

clh_hilary

As I've said, Lady A's number is not low at all. It is the new normal for superstars now.

The soundtrack's opening is not all that surprising, but it's indeed a very good result especially considering the length of it.

teesharky

The soundtrack for Gatsby is very unique as the songs incorporate a Flapper 1920's jazzy style, and it works. I really like it.

Downtown was not the big hit that Need You Now or Just a Kiss was, so I can see why Lady A's numbers are lower, plus it is May not a Christmas release so numbers are always lower this time of year like they were for Carrie. I bought the album and it is good. :)

Manchs

CHART DATE: 05/13/2013
LAST UPDATE: 05/13/2013 11:07:45
NOW IN: 31.77%

LW TW artist / album label power index
-- 1 LADY ANTEBELLUM CAPITOL NASHVILLE 49,218
GOLDEN
2 2 MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE 38,839
TO BE LOVED
3 3 JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE RCA 23,475
20/20 EXPERIENCE
-- 4 ROD STEWART CAPITOL 22,988
TIME
-- 5 NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC V46 CAPITOL 21,249
VARIOUS ARTISTS
-- 6 PISTOL ANNIES RCA NASHVILLE 14,858
ANNIE UP
1 7 KENNY CHESNEY BLUE CHAIR/COLUMBIA NASH 12,261
LIFE ON A ROCK
-- 8 GREAT GATSBY INTERSCOPE 11,459
SOUNDTRACK / VARIOUS ARTISTS
10 9 BRUNO MARS ATLANTIC 10,352
UNORTHODOX JUKEBOX
-- 10 MUSIC OF NASHVILLE, S1 V2 BIG MACHINE 9,974
VARIOUS ARTISTS
8 11 P!NK RCA 9,029
TRUTH ABOUT LOVE
4 12 FANTASIA RCA 8,105
SIDE EFFECTS OF YOU
5 13 BLAKE SHELTON WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 6,865
BASED ON A TRUE STORY
12 14 THE BAND PERRY REPUBLIC NASHVILLE 5,695
PIONEER
13 15 LIL WAYNE YM/CM/REPUBLIC 5,663
I AM NOT A HUMAN BEING
-- 16 EMELI SANDE CAPITOL 5,655
OUR VERSION OF EVENTS
7 17 MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS MACKLEMORE 5,066
HEIST
19 18 RIHANNA DEF JAM/IDJ 5,057
UNAPOLOGETIC
-- 19 SHE & HIM MERGE 4,716
VOLUME 3
9 20 FALL OUT BOY ISLAND/IDJ 4,636
SAVE ROCK AND ROLL
-- 21 NATALIE MAINES COLUMBIA 4,529
MOTHER
11 22 IMAGINE DRAGONS KIDINAKORNER/INTERSCOPE 4,292
NIGHT VISIONS
14 23 FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE BIG MACHINE/REPUBLIC 4,221
HERE'S TO THE GOOD TIMES
35 24 ALAN JACKSON CAPITOL NASHVILLE 4,203
PRECIOUS MEMORIES, VOL. II
30 25 ADELE XL/COLUMBIA 3,919
22 26 LUMINEERS DUALTONE 3,835
LUMINEERS
49 27 PHILLIP PHILLIPS 19/INTERSCOPE 3,396
WORLD FROM THE SIDE OF THE MOON
26 28 FUN. FUELED BY RAMEN 3,388
SOME NIGHTS
42 29 TIM MCGRAW BIG MACHINE 3,386
TWO LANES OF FREEDOM
-- 30 98 DEGREES EONE 3,244
17 31 MUMFORD & SONS GLASSNOTE 3,189
BABEL
37 32 MAROON 5 A&M/OCTONE 3,131
OVEREXPOSED
-- 33 LES MISERABLES REPUBLIC 2,973
SOUNDTRACK
50 34 KELLY CLARKSON 19/RCA 2,806
GREATEST HITS - CHAPTER 1
27 35 LUKE BRYAN CAPITOL NASHVILLE 2,773
SPRING BREAK... HERE TO PARTY
24 36 ROB ZOMBIE T-BOY/UME 2,745
VENOMOUS RAT REGENERATION VENDOR
23 37 L.L. COOL J SAVOY 2,736
AUTHENTIC
47 38 CARRIE UNDERWOOD 19/ARISTA NASHVILLE 2,711
BLOWN AWAY

36 39 NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 45 CAPITOL 2,649
VARIOUS ARTISTS
28 40 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 2,641
RED
21 41 KID CUDI REPUBLIC 2,603
INDICUD
43 42 LITTLE BIG TOWN CAPITOL NASHVILLE 2,586
TORNADO
29 43 BRAD PAISLEY ARISTA NASHVILLE 2,394
WHEELEHOUSE
46 44 TYGA REPUBLIC 2,266
HOTEL CALIFORNIA
33 45 KENDRICK LAMAR AFTERMATH/INTERSCOPE 2,181
GOOD KID M.A.A.D CITY
45 46 LUKE BRYAN CAPITOL NASHVILLE 2,172
TAILGATES & TANLINES
44 47 PITCH PERFECT UME 2,135
SOUNDTRACK
38 48 PARAMORE FUELED BY RAMEN 1,967
PARAMORE
39 49 ERIC CHURCH CAPITOL NASHVILLE 1,950
CHIEF
18 50 PHOENIX GLASSNOTE 1,673
BANKRUPT!

pklongbeach

WEll, I would sure love if Carrie outsold Red!!!

(don't nobody burst my bubble.)!!

As for LA, I would actually say it is low for them. Only in that, for me, I feel like they heavily promoted OTN, and it does not feel like there has been breathing room between them.
This is a common issue with country releases and it makes it alittle difficult to judge how well the numbers actually relect a growth or decine in popularity.
Sometimes the release is just too close to the last one.

I personally think that is the case here.

AS for PA's, I guess those are good numbers. They don't look that great to me, considering the project is headed by the hugest Female Country ARitst the genre has ever known. (I just would have expected better).