Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album/Track Sales, Week 54, Blown Away Era

clh_hilary

don't forget music clubs are pretty much dead at this point around significant anniversaries albums see a spike in sales or when the artist releases new material their catalog sales go up for example
Mariah Carey's next Album is due out June 25th or July 2nd and with only the first single being out some of her catalog albums have already seen increases and she's singing a medley of her hits on the finale of American Idol tonight so sales will go up for next weeks chart last time we had updates Hero had sold 420k digital copies so if it does 50k after the Idol finale if it's in the medley then it goes Platinum+Gold she's had 11 platinum singles most before digital Hero for example was released on October 19th 1993 and ITunes launched may 9th 2003 nine years and 7 months later the single was certified platinum on December 15th 1993 easily following in it's predecessor Dreamlover's footsteps she was also the first female RNB singer to have consecutive double platinum singles Fantasy was certified 2x platinum on November 7th 1995 and One Sweet Day was on January 10th 1996

What does that have to do with Carrie, the charts, or anything in general?

To show a more complete picture, allow to state a few other Carey's achievements:

1. She has the most cheated No.1 singles in history. She's discounted most of her singles (including the failure 'LoverBoy') including 'One Sweet Day' and 'My All', with last-minute releases (eg 'We Belong Together', 'Don't Forget About Us', etc), to manipulate the system and cheat her way to No.1 on the Hot 100.
2. She is known to be one of the most desperate artists in history in obtaining No.1 singles. Her desperation could not only be seen from examples such as having 'Touch My Body' repressed so much, it crashed and burnt right after a big opening, but also from incidents such as how she was rushly sent to the mental hospital a few hours after the news of 'LoverBoy' not going No.1 on the Hot 100 broke out (It was denied by Destiny's Child's 'Bootylicious').
3. She was known for her drunken behaviour. There have been numerous occasions when she was being seen drunk while supposedly working. For example, when she was promoting her album and performing 'Heartbreaker', she was drunk on stage. When she was receiving an award earlier, she was also drunk.
4. She was famous, even within her fanbase, for her lip-syncing attempts. She has been lipping bits of her songs for years.
5. She was one of the key reasons why payola was discovered and banned. She's had her first ten singles going No.1 on pop radio, and then another one with another album ('Fantasy'). But the next No.1 did not come for her until nine years later when she released 'We Belong Together'.
6. She was the only artist in history to cheat her way to No.1 by counting free downloads as legitimate sales. When she released the remix to 'We Belong Together' to iTunes, she co-currently released a code on her official website for fans to download the song from iTunes for free. iTunes Music Store, the only time in history, could not distinguish between real sales and free downloads for the week and thus gave 'We Belong Together' its first week at No.1 with all the free downloads being counted.
7. She is one of the highest over-certified artists in the United States. DayDream, for example, sold slightly more than seven million copies but had been certified Diamond.

Needless to say, her marvelous chart history did not stop there. Her latest single, '#Beautiful', which is essentially a Miguel track, opened with a very modest 114,000 copies sold in nearly seven days despite 1. a multi-format massive Clear Channel payola exposure deal, 2. a hyped American Idol video premiere, 3. tagging a hot artist onto the track. To compare, Madonna's 'Give Me All Your Luvin'' sold 115,000 copies in THREE days, despite her being older than Carey for another 10 plus years.

I hope you have enjoyed this little chart trivial as much as you've enjoyed the post I have quoted. For more information on the legendary Mrs Mariah Cannon, such as the sales to her last remix album (the answer is 0), feel free to ask!

bs63093

I dont wanna cause a stir or anytjing but sorry I DO NOT GET HOW MARIAH CAREY IS CONSIDERED ONE OF THE GREATEST VOICES EVER!!!!! I fing it rather weak like shes freaking whispering or something. If people only consider tht cause of her whiatle register than people really are dumb, i say carrie crushed miss diva vocally. Whistle register my asss

clh_hilary

I dont wanna cause a stir or anytjing but sorry I DO NOT GET HOW MARIAH CAREY IS CONSIDERED ONE OF THE GREATEST VOICES EVER!!!!! I fing it rather weak like shes freaking whispering or something. If people only consider tht cause of her whiatle register than people really are dumb, i say carrie crushed miss diva vocally. Whistle register my asss

Well to be fair Carey did not whisper that much before she lost her voice.

pklongbeach

Carey's voice is shot.

You can't base what you hear today on "One of the greatest voices.....".
If you go back to the ninties she was singing better than any other popular artist of the day.
I would argue Whitney but to me they sang very different styles and Carey too many more risks with her ability. Whiney always stayed very close to her stenghts and never really pushed her limits the way carey did.

Jesus, What a Wonderful Child!!!!! Are you kdding me with that vocal perfomance. #POPWOWAmazing

bigbluegrl23

WHAT!? is it weak now? yes. but when she was in her prime, easily one of the greatest.
Mariah Carey - Hero - YouTube

Becca

bigbluegrl23

Carey's voice is shot.

You can't base what you hear today on "One of the greatest voices.....".
If you go back to the ninties she was singing better than any other popular artist of the day.
I would argue Whitney but to me they sang very different styles and Carey too many more risks with her ability. Whiney always stayed very close to her stenghts and never really pushed her limits the way carey did.

Jesus, What a Wonderful Child!!!!! Are you kdding me with that vocal perfomance. #POPWOWAmazing

and since you brought it up :) Jesus Oh What a Wonderful Child - Mariah Carey - YouTube
Becca

clh_hilary

I think compared to Whitney Houston and Celine Dion, Mariah Carey did have a relatively 'weak' voice. But the 'strength' of her voice was never her selling point. She wasn't trying (and couldn't) sell a 'strong' voice.

Everybody good vocalist has a different way to shine.

pklongbeach

Ha ha ha, thank you so mcuh for that!!

What you may not know if you don't pay attention or are not a musician, is the level of technical proficiencly that is dispayed there.

If you wish to turn it off as just "vocal ranting" than you are not acknowleding the rhythmic and harmonic complexity of what is going on there.

Within the repetition of the basic phrase she does innumerable improvisational turns and expressions.

I really can not imagine anyone with the ability to sing that with more or even that amount of complexity.

pklongbeach

What Carrie does so much better than Mariah is her beautiful tone that she proudly displays when she holds single notes and allows you to hear the full majesty of her tone.

Mariah did not do that cause "tone" was never her strong suit.

teesharky

Albums

Carrie Underwood, Blown Away (9,000, +8%, 1.438 million) (#53 BB200)
Carrie Underwood, Some Hearts (2,000, -3%, 7.319 million)
Carrie Underwood, Play On (1,000, +1%, 2.201 million)

Tracks

Carrie Underwood, See You Again (24,000, +3%, 124,000)
Carrie Underwood, Blown Away (15,000, -13%, 2.168 million)
Carrie Underwood, Two Black Cadillacs (13,000, -14%, 762,000)
Carrie Underwood, Good Girl (6,000, -9%, 1.719 million)

Ok TBC is chugging along. Should hit 800k by mid June so there is still achance of platinum by end of year - especially u det new rule of RIAA cert. does youtube streaming count or just spotify. I am not a big spotify user- prefer youtube. Tx.

liveasong

tumblr_mmvpkkFrGT1qdlh1io1_250.gif

Omg! What the...?!?

clh_hilary

Ok TBC is chugging along. Should hit 800k by mid June so there is still achance of platinum by end of year - especially u det new rule of RIAA cert. does youtube streaming count or just spotify. I am not a big spotify user- prefer youtube. Tx.

Both. But US streams only. 100 streams = 1 sale. But we all know Carrie does not do very well in streaming.

teesharky

Really? I had no idea Carrie did poorly in streaming. Her youtube video views are among top 5 country artists- perhaps higher- as you cannot count Taylor as country.

-anywAy-- final sales are in and carrie is not in top 50. :( so she is below 7.7k . Yikes!

clh_hilary

Really? I had no idea Carrie did poorly in streaming. Her youtube video views are among top 5 country artists- perhaps higher- as you cannot count Taylor as country.

-anywAy-- final sales are in and carrie is not in top 50. :( so she is below 7.7k . Yikes!

And that isn't good enough to hugely inflate her certifications. I think 'Two Black Cadillacs' peaked at No 4 in streaming.

Suellen

Question: I have SYA on repeat but should we also be streaming TBC?