Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album/Tracks Sales, Week 83, Blown Away Era

clh_hilary

This is Carrie we're talking about though.

Like I said, it shouldn't be expected, but if all the variables line up correctly it would be possible.

Don't know how that is helping your case. Blown Away ranked No 7 in 2012 which was the best she's ranked in years. It sold 3,211,000 copies fewer than the year-end No 1 album, or only 27% of it. It was the first time since 2006 she ranked Top 10.

thunder92

^right, but thats why she said all the variables have to be lined up perfectly. She said perfectly for a reason..

adam1995

Hopefully, she will release her next album around the Black Friday sales day, so she can get huge sales of over 300,000 copies in the debut week. That's a whole year away so she may be ready.

gaycarebear

...But he did not outsell his last album.

His last album sold 2,157,000 copies. His current one? 1,202,000 copies. That's like barely half of the previous one. That is without considering the fact that he's sold another 495,000 copies of albums before this era.

All of the exceptions who could outsell their previous efforts were on their breakthroughs. Like, ADELE. Carrie had already got hers. But I mean, yes it's always possible. So is it reasonable to have that expectation?

Um. His album came out in AUGUST. It'll be a BIG mover and I think it WILL outsell his previous album. You can't compare that when it's not even 6 months old yet.

adam1995

Because Carrie was moved to catalogue, she can't get to number 10 on the albums chart right? That's a shame.

epicamends

Don't know how that is helping your case. Blown Away ranked No 7 in 2012 which was the best she's ranked in years. It sold 3,211,000 copies fewer than the year-end No 1 album, or only 27% of it. It was the first time since 2006 she ranked Top 10.

And what do those numbers have to do with what I was trying to say? Like thunder92 said, I was saying if all the variables line up properly it would be possible to hit 2 million in sales. Not necessarily likely, but possible.

Pi314CA

And what do those numbers have to do with what I was trying to say? Like thunder92 said, I was saying if all the variables line up properly it would be possible to hit 2 million in sales. Not necessarily likely, but possible.

I agree. It's nice to see that BA sold 3400 the week before Black Friday week. At that pace, the annual sales is about 200k. By year's end, BA could reach at 1.7 million. So it is quite possible that BA will pass 2 million in sales sometime in 2015.

adam1995

There are only 4 weeks left in the year, so I don't think that BA will reach 1.7million, it's only at 1,597,000 now.

clh_hilary

^right, but thats why she said all the variables have to be lined up perfectly. She said perfectly for a reason..

But the thing is that still won't be enough. She will need multiple crossover singles (that do not alienate her country audience), plus discounts to do that. Albums nowadays sell mostly based on hype and word of mouth so even with hit singles may not do it. $0.25 deals like what Lady Antebellum's Own The Night got would make it a lot more possible to reach two million copies but still not likely.

clh_hilary

That she will literally need to be the biggest seller of the year to do that. It is likely that from next year we may not actually see a two-million seller in all of music.

clh_hilary

Um. His album came out in AUGUST. It'll be a BIG mover and I think it WILL outsell his previous album. You can't compare that when it's not even 6 months old yet.

And at the same time nobody can claim that it had already outsold his previous album, because it simply didn't, or hasn't.

clh_hilary

Hopefully, she will release her next album around the Black Friday sales day, so she can get huge sales of over 300,000 copies in the debut week. That's a whole year away so she may be ready.

This is another mark she's very unlikely to reach. We need to realise how difficult it is to actually sell any album now. The biggest opening for a female artist this year belongs to Katy Perry's PRISM, which opened below 300,000 copies. Lady GaGa, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, P!nk, Celine Dion, Nicki Minaj, etc all the big female sellers went below that. Madonna and Beyonce will fall below that. Britney Spears is opening with 115,000 copies this week. Taylor Swift and ADELE will go above that mark, but that would be it. And that is because Red had sold four million copies, whilst 21 is closing into eleven million. Blown Away did 1.6 million which really doesn't compare.

If she really wants a splashy opening week, she will need to do something new. She will need to release successful crossover singles, with the first single smashing way before the album, then the second single coming up to smash up to that point. She will need to sell her album along with her tour tickets. She will need to hype the album up outside of the country community. Just releasing it on Thanksgiving will not cut it.

Eder Rodrigues

I edited the first post. Blown Away is back to No.1 for the third time on Country Catalog Albums

***Sales***

Blown Away 24,000 (1,597,000)

***Charts***

Blown Away
Billboard 200: 33 (+124) / Peak: 1 (x2) / Wks on: 83
Country Catalog Albums: 1 (+3) / Peak 1 (x3) / Wks on: 5
Top Catalog Albums: 4 (+29) / Peak: 4 (x2) / Wks on: 5

Do You Hear What I Hear
Holiday 100: 75 (NE) / Peak: 75 / Wks on: 1

The Blown Away Tour: Live
Top Music Videos: 10 / Peak: 1 (x3) / Wks on: 16

teesharky

Any updates on the SOM album sale projections? I am disappointed it fell off to 21 on itunes today. Shouldn't the tv show have given it a big bump??

Could the negative buzz for the show hurt sales??

Manchs

No, last update on it was Thursday. Billboard released the building chart Friday for this week - the albums that sold the most from Monday to Thursday, hard numbers, no projections - and it was not in the top 10. Not surprising, considering TSOM aired exactly Thursday night, so it was impossible to have an imediate boost. To be honest, I think this is gonna move more physical copies than digital copies. We have to wait until Tuesday for numbers.

Claire2004

I'd love to be optimistic, but I don't know if this will have huge sales in the long run. A lot of people are fiercely loyal to the movie, as was evident from the reaction last Thursday. Naturally, these people will also be fiercely loyal to the original recording of the songs.

bluetb4

I'd love to be optimistic, but I don't know if this will have huge sales in the long run. A lot of people are fiercely loyal to the movie, as was evident from the reaction last Thursday. Naturally, these people will also be fiercely loyal to the original recording of the songs.

Wish we could put Carrie's 3 million Twitters to good use and get them buying the CD & DVD!! Just 1 copy...wouldn't that be awesome??!!

Manchs

The soundtrack was bound to flop, regardless of what the general public could think of the show. Bad promotion.