Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Grammy Discussion Thread

adam1995

How do you know that?Do you know something that we don’t or is it just a feeling that you have?Just asking.Not trying to start an argument!!

*Sigh*

I just said I think, not that I know. I have absolutely, 100% no clue what's going on, I just think by the middle of 2018 we'll have new music, nothing other than my personal belief.

twaintrain

Ps what on earth is a Childish Bambino
and how the heck did it get Album of the year? Is it a children’s lullaby album? Wtf

He's the guy that starred with Mel Gibson in Leathal Weapon, you know, Danny Glover.

J/k, but that's what I thought when I saw his real name was Donald Glover. He's an actor on some show called "Atlanta". I know he won an Emmy or Golden Globe or something for it.

teesharky

^ Thanks. I know who Donald Glover is of course. I know him as an actor not a rapper. I had no idea he was even a musician.

carrie admirer

If Bruno Mars wins album of the year (which I think he will), will the remix of finesse with cardi b be eligible for record of the year for next year's grammies? Since it is a remix?

Claire2004

Farawayhills

Very pleased for Emmylou!!
Her biggest Grammy win, with the Nash Ramblers (her second major band), was "Live At the Ryman" - it's one of my lifetime top favourite albums. (It's available complete on You Tube)

I wonder if any of today's artists will perform something to honour it? This would be my pick (in fact, when my time comes, I'll ask for this to play at my funeral!)

"Oklahoma Wind" fans might like to know that that's Jon Randall singing harmonies to her left, and taking the guitar solo. Sam Bush, in the multi-coloured shirt is on mandolin to her right, Al Perkins on resophonic solo, Larry Atamanuik on drums, Mark Winchester on bass in that performance (though Roy Husky Jr played it on the album)

rainbow1

When my son and his wife went to the Rose Bowl, they walked by the Grammy Museum one evening. It was closed, but out front in the walkway was an image of a record, with the Grammy Trophy in the middle. It said , Best New Artist Carrie Underwood. The Dixie Chicks were on there too. I am so happy to have a picture of that now!!!

Kizmet311

When my son and his wife went to the Rose Bowl, they walked by the Grammy Museum one evening. It was closed, but out front in the walkway was an image of a record, with the Grammy Trophy in the middle. It said , Best New Artist Carrie Underwood. The Dixie Chicks were on there too. I am so happy to have a picture of that now!!!

That's awesome! So sweet of your son to take a picture of it for you!

Farawayhills

Congratulations to Chris Stapleton and Mike Henderson (both former members of the SteelDrivers) for winning Best Country Song, with "Broken Halos"

Farawayhills

Apart from that, this year's Country field has been rather a disappointment to me, so I'll turn to the Roots fields. Jason Isbell pulled off the double of winning both Best American Roots Song, and Best Americana Album (though not emulating Rosanne Cash's recent treble, of adding Best American Roots Performance too)

"If We Were Vampires" is great device for a bitter sweet love song - celebrating the joys of being together, with the realization that it cannot be forever. A worthy winner, in my opinion

Farawayhills

Jason & the 400 Unit also won Americana Album for the ironically named "The Nashville Sound"

I think "White Man's World" is probably the other standout track - topical, in both highlighting the pressures which many see as trying to negate the growth of Civil Rights equality, and the controversies in Country Music over the treatment of female artists (and indeed, it seems well beyond Country Music - one breakdown I saw said that 90% of the Grammy nominations across the fields as a whole were to men)
The performance video I'm posting is from the release party, and the quality is not very sharp visually, but I've chosen it because it includes Amanda's fiddle solo (not present in all versions of the 400, as she is combining being a new mother with her own solo career)

stuffy

What's this about Lourde getting ticked off she couldn't perform solo? That's what the Grammy's do. For all the times Carrie has performed, she has only sang twice by herself. Everything else has been a tribute or duet.

Farawayhills

This year, American Roots Performance was won by a more traditional Blues song, by the Alabama Shakes, with "Killer Diller Blues" (originally recorded by Memphis Minnie, in the 1940s) The vocalist here is Brttany Howard

Farawayhills

Unusually, the award voting for Best Bluegrass Album was tied - between The Infamous Stringdusters, and Rhonda Vincent and the Rage (who accordingly both won Grammys)

The Infamous Stringdusters are noted for their intricate, Progressive style, which shows how modern Bluegrass has evolved into many different forms. The album is called "Laws of Gravity", and this is the rather charming video shot for the near title track. (The lead vocalist is Travis Book)

Farawayhills

Rhonda Vincent has won Female and Entertainer awards at the IBMA several times - one thing I remember is that she is one of relatively few artists who sometimes interacts with fans on an open message board. She and her band, the Rage, won for a live album, which is part of a double project, released in two stages. The album is “All the Rage — In Concert, Volume One”. It consists mainly of songs spread over her career - this is one of the tracks: