Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Grammy Discussion Thread

Farawayhills

Best Regional Roots Album went to the Lost Bayou Ramblers, for "Kalenda". This is one of the tracks, which I find interesting for the way it combines a traditional Cajun fiddle, accordion and vocal, with modern instrumentation, which shows influence from the wider music scene

Farawayhills

What's this about Lourde getting ticked off she couldn't perform solo? That's what the Grammy's do. For all the times Carrie has performed, she has only sang twice by herself. Everything else has been a tribute or duet.

I'd normally hesitate to get into the more Pop fields, which I know little about - but it seems this may possibly tie in with a point I was making above. An article I searched on says that the other four nominees in her category were all men, and all were offered a solo performance spot. Lorde - the only female - was not, despite several exchanges with the organizers. While I can't confirm that, if true, she may have had a point.

stuffy

I'd normally hesitate to get into the more Pop fields, which I know little about - but it seems this may possibly tie in with a point I was making above. An article I searched on says that the other four nominees in her category were all men, and all were offered a solo performance spot. Lorde - the only female - was not, despite several exchanges with the organizers. While I can't confirm that, if true, she may have had a point.
That makes more sense.

liz278

Farawayhills

One touching award was given posthumously to actress Carrie Fisher, for Best Spoken Word Album ("The Princess Diarist", an autobiographical memoir)

This year, American Roots Performance was won by a more traditional Blues song, by the Alabama Shakes, with "Killer Diller Blues" (originally recorded by Memphis Minnie, in the 1940s) The vocalist here is Brttany Howard

I'm looking forward to hearing a helpful and smart comment of the professional Farwayhills on this question:
Why have some bluegrass singers such as Sierra Hull and Sarah Jarosz been nominated for Grammy's Best Folk Album instead?

And a long time since we talked about Sierra Hull, now she has been married. And her man is not new to us, but still surprising, her soulmate Justin Moses

maddkat

Staff member
I didn't watch the Grammy's. How was the tribute?

ToC was trying to get hits to their site a while ago, by having a poll that wanted people to pick which tribute would be best. I didn't bother with the poll but wonder if they will try again tomorrow.
they actually apologized for that ill-conceived poll

One touching award was given posthumously to actress Carrie Fisher, for Best Spoken Word Album ("The Princess Diarist", an autobiographical memoir)

:-( ,I miss Carrie

pklongbeach

Tears in Heaven was good. It was appropriate. But it was not great by any means. For real musicians I sometimes wonder what they think when they happen upon a performance like that and scratch their heads at the fact that these recording artists are pulling in millions for that level of performance. Meh......

pklongbeach

Really happy for Bruno. I am kind of secretly glad that JZ was not glorified with a lot of awards (partially considering he already has over 20 grammys, ridiculous to my way of thinking....).
I find issue with an artist making a project that is supposed to be self promoted "high brow" or intellectual on some level. I would hope that is what you always do when making music. So to suggest he should be recognized for doing more than he typically would on a project is sort of odd to me. Bruno seems to always give 110% to what he does. And he does it with finesse and style and effortless accomplishment.
I am really happy for him and this outcome...

rcramer

^^^ so I guess seeing comments in twitter accounts like " I'm genuinely starting to believe that the only county singer that can sing is Carrie Underwood, was a reason for the country performance last night..... I did not watch it all or see that performance...

Patti LuPone's Don't Cry For Me Argentina performance was DOPE....... The woman sang the song like she did 30 years ago on broadway..... That was a Grammy ICONIC performance......

DaisyTweets

Tears in Heaven was good. It was appropriate. But it was not great by any means. For real musicians I sometimes wonder what they think when they happen upon a performance like that and scratch their heads at the fact that these recording artists are pulling in millions for that level of performance. Meh......
Oh gosh Paddy, my thoughts EXACTLY!!!! What it really shows to me is that for some of these artists, there's MAJOR 'help' done in the studio and the production process. IMO, if you can't sing/perform LIVE you have no business using the term star or especially superstar. It's pretty sad actually and that's why I'm very discerning on which artists I spend my hard earned money on to buy singles/albums.

Besides, the standard was set on the CMAs and there's certainly no way that the performance last night came even close.

Oh gosh Paddy, my thoughts EXACTLY!!!! What it really shows to me is that for some of these artists, there's MAJOR 'help' done in the studio and the production process. IMO, if you can't sing/perform LIVE you have no business using the term star or especially superstar. It's pretty sad actually and that's why I'm very discerning on which artists I spend my hard earned money on to buy singles/albums.

Besides, the standard was set on the CMAs and there's certainly no way that the performance last night came even close.

I saw Eric Church on his tour last year and he performed for 3 plus hours. He was fantastic. But he was very off last night. Maren carries that performance IMO

Farawayhills

I'm looking forward to hearing a helpful and smart comment of the professional Farwayhills on this question:
Why have some bluegrass singers such as Sierra Hull and Sarah Jarosz been nominated for Grammy's Best Folk Album instead?

And a long time since we talked about Sierra Hull, now she has been married. And her man is not new to us, but still surprising, her soulmate Justin Moses

Yes, congratulations to Sierra and Justin. You can see a write-up and pictures of the wedding of these two much loved, but personally unassuming, leading artists on the young Bluegrass scene here:
https://bluegrasstoday.com/congratulations-sierra-and-justin/

On the sometimes controversial topic of which field Grammy submissions appear in - there are a number of secretive backroom Grammy committees which determine this, sometimes moving artists away from the field they (or their fans) would have preferred. It's not usually possible to know when or if this has occurred.

I've mentioned before that there has been a trend over several years for the Grammys to move away from the more inclusive (and sometimes perceived as "quirky") mix of commercial and alternative submissions in the "big" genre fields, towards a line-up more acceptable to the priorities of the major record labels and radio. This has certainly been the case with the Country field - and several blogs have been particularly critical of this year's Country line-up, perceived as leaning heavily towards Pop.

As for the description of some Roots acts as "Folk", I don't find this surprising. Historically, Country Music and Blues were often described as "Folk" - and the term was considered more polite, as the earlier "Hillbilly" and "Race" terms for early recordings were being phased out. Hank Williams was often introduced by announcers as a Folk musician in the '40s and early '50s. The labels increasingly wanted to identify with more sophisticated and less rural audiences, and the term "Folk" was also dropped, along with Rockabilly and Honky-tonk, in favour of "Country Music" as the more Pop--influenced Nashville Sound developed from the mid-'50s.

Today, however, "Folk" or "Folk Rock" is quite widely used by Roots artists who prefer not to identify with Country (for reasons often partly political/cultural, and partly due to wanting to avoid the more polished sound). Sarah Jarosz is popular with Folk fans, and often appears at Folk venues and festivals. Her super-group with Sara Watkins and Aoife O'Donovan, "Im With Her", is often described as a Folk trio - so, again, I don't find the placing surprising.

DaisyTweets

Ratings for the show down 20%!!! This doesn't surprise me at all. When I heard the lineup I knew I wouldn't be watching because I wasn't interested in watching any of the announced performers. I only caught the country tribute because I rewound my dvr. I might be strange and be the only person in the world with this opinion, but I just don't think rap is singing. I certainly didn't think 2 or 3 rap albums should've been up for album of the year. And I'm so very GLAD that Jay Zeeeeeeeeeee didn't win one award.

_luvqry

Even though they had U2 and Elton John I felt it lacked stars... the nominees were already one of the worst line-up IMHO and therefore the show was a mess.

DaisyTweets

I saw one commentator say that Sting -- Sting of all performers --- appeared on the show 4 times. Talk about taking time from nominees.

twaintrain

I couldn’t enjoy it because I was still mad Ed Sheeran didn’t get nominated for Album and Record. Plus, this was probably the worst Grammys I’ve ever seen. I think I fast forwarded through half of it.