Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Album 6 Discussion: Writing Has Begun

maddkat

Staff member
^ yeah I just re listened to the album cut of IKYW and I don't hear any extra "screeches"
of course I'd never call Carrie's singing on IKYW screeching either.

rcramer

txacar, im confused. she does not end the song on a high note...... I just listened to it and even the PCA performance and did not find one screechy note........

adam1995

Carries voice, and the way she uses it, is also different than Martina's. Singers like Martina and Kelly C blow out their voices cause they open their throat to allow the vocal chords to take the full force of all the vibration and air that is being blown through. Carrie tends to control the amount that her vocal chords take on that pressure by holding more tension in her throat. It can cause a more fine tuned tone that is easier to control and make sure it stays on pitch. But it can also be more piercing as some might complain is unattractive.

I personally would much rather that than blowing out her pipes which would be very conceivable if she were singing with a more open throat.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you know that Carrie takes more care of her voice than Martina and Kelly? I don't know much about voices and ranges and all that stuff, so I just wonder how you can tell she doesn't use the full voice?

Last edited:

pklongbeach

Patrick, agree with it all but i don't think there is anything vocally unattractive to her voice, even in her highest notes.......

It actually takes my breath away, and hair stand on end, cause she does it effortlessly..... Ha Ha
The only people who would bother to have discussion about what is or isn't attractive about Carrie Underwood's singing voice, have an axe to grind and are most often ignored in legitimate conversations........

I have heard it said only a few times over 11 years and in each case was utterly and completely ignored....!

Its just that I have a memory like an elephant where Carrie is concerned!!! ha ha ha ha ha.... I remember every slight ever uttered!!

pklongbeach

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you know that Carrie takes more carr of her voice than Martina and Kelly? I don't know much about voices and ranges and all that stuff, so I just wonder how you can tell she doesn't use the full voice?
Please note that I did not state that Carrie does anything with any real intention. I firmly believe that she does it cause that is the way she developed as an untrained singer to do some of the things she does. It was not likely ever because she knew what she was doing, but that it gave her more control and did not "hurt"! Singing like Martina, Kelly Faith.....others actually hurts, to the point of bleeding if they do it to excess..... just ask Jordin Sparks!

No, I would actually argue that Carrie does not take good enough care of her voice. But what she does do is put less pressure on it than other singers who are doing the same acrobatics.

Whitney Houston had a similar style that could have lasted her voice for decades. But ultimately she ended up doing a lot of screaming and then of course "other forms of vocal abuse".

Substance abuse while singing rigorously causes the singer to lose focus and again put all the strain and pressure on the vocal chords. Doing all that damage. Also, substance abuse usually accompanies "dry mouth". And dry mouth means dry throat and vocal chords which causes the damage even faster and worse. Alcohol abuse is worse for your voice than smoking because of the drying affect on the throat.

adam1995

It never seems like Carrie is straining, she does a lot of belting, so hopefully she is taking care. But again I don't know anything about voices, I just love voices like Carrie's, Martina's, Whitney's, etc. I'm a sucker for women with big voices.

pklongbeach

^ yeah I just re listened to the album cut of IKYW and I don't hear any extra "screeches"
of course I'd never call Carrie's singing on IKYW screeching either.
With regard to IKYW, the most mesmerizing thing about it is its unrelenting straight forward authentic notes extended for great lengths of time when you consider how much air it takes to do it.

There is no screeching (per say) what so ever!

But what I have heard in concert is when her stamina is weaning and she does not have the full strength to withstand those long notes, she can close them off a bit too much and it can be a bit unnatural. But those were rare occasions. And one has to remember the vast amount of her repertoire requires her to sustain great energy in her singing. So it is not surprising at all.

This is where I hope she holds off a bit and does not feel the need to do every huge song of her catalog every season.

pklongbeach

It never seems like Carrie is straining, she does a lot of belting, so hopefully she is taking care. But again I don't know anything about voices, I just love voices like Carrie's, Martina's, Whitney's, etc. I'm a sucker for women with big voices.
The good news is, I could tell immediately for TSOML she did training in order to do what she did in her high range. So hopefully she has learned how to use that technique in her personal style as well.

rcramer

The fall of Whitney was her substance abuse and that crazy husband. I loved her... Back in the day when she came out as a rising star, her beauty and that voice to me was just so captivating.......

Adam, I am with you on big voiced singers and that goes for male singers also.......

adam1995

The fall of Whitney was her substance abuse and that crazy husband. I loved her... Back in the day when she came out as a rising star, her beauty and that voice to me was just so captivating.......

Adam, I am with you on big voiced singers and that goes for male singers also.......

There's just so much talent in those voices.

The Nanook

She already has a song on hold? Have "on hold" songs usually made the album? I like seeing the David Hodges co-write. I quite like his work in general and he also cowrote one of my favorite songs off of ST: The Girl You Think I Am. And the Jamie Moore cowrite is interesting. He's never been involved with Carrie prior to Mexico, which I don't care for. He's also apparently worked with FGL, Chris Lane, and some Christian artists.

It's exciting seeing cowrites come in!!

teesharky

^ haha good guess. I was thinking more of Gold diggers or an old western movie with people moving out West for gold.

Haunted really intrigues me though. Especially since she wrote with Gordie Sampson.