Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Appeal to Please Be Kind to Other Posters

cole

Ok, what just happened in the Blown Away thread?

Guys, we have got to stop with the acid comments. It has to stop, or will continue to run off Carrie fans who enjoy being here. Now, I don't think Mtreasmith was in any way being a 'hater' or 'negative' by posting; I just think he thought the performance was off tonight, and wanted to know what others thought. Was the thread creation really necessary? Probably not. But that's not the point.

Things got out of hand, to the point that the thread was closed. And what really hurt my heart, what really tugged at me, was that there were actually Carrie fans here telling him simply "Bye bye" or "see ya". What does that say about us as a fanbase? As people? It's ridiculous that Carrie fans run off other Carrie fans because of a sentiment that they expressed.

Guys, we are better than that (I hope.) This has to stop, or we will continue to chase away others. Go on mtreasmith's profile. He is apparantly a relatively new poster, and has not friended anyone yet. That's sad to me; we should be reaching out to other people, not chasing them away.

It's ironic; I was just reading about this in my Joel Osteen book tonight. We have to compromise with other people, because sometimes we will disagree. God made us all to think with unique minds. Let's embrace that, instead of chasing away those who do not file along with the masses.

I'm not perfect; I have not been a perfect poster by any means. But tonight showed me how far we have to go as people. I'm going to make a conscious effort to be uplifting and positive to those around me, and I would hope other Carrie fans would as well.

When we chase away others, not only are we losing opportunities for friendships, we are losing support. No one here probably knew that young man well, and that is a shame. I really hope he is not going to leave because of tonight. All I'm asking is that we think about how our words will affect others before we post.

Thank you ~ And I'm sorry for my 'Dale' moment. If you watch the Walking Dead, you will get it, lol. :p Let's just please play nice, because at the end of the day, does it really matter. No. :D

jaylee50

I'm just glad he posted the video. I later saw Richard's video which showed Ryan's intro as well as the last comments. Anyway, I am so grateful for the posted videos because something didn't go right with my DVR tonight, and I was crushed. I tried to see it on demand and after 40 minutes talking with someone from Comcast, still no luck. So, again, than you Carrie fans for posting the videos. At least I can fall asleep without beating up the TV.

allamericangirl8

I agree with cole. I just read through the thread and ugh. It's like you're not allowed to have a different opinion.

I get that the user shouldn't've made a separate thread, but he's posted enough times on this board to show he's a genuine Carrie fan, and he just had a different opinion, and he was asking for other opinions. Rather than receiving them, that thread just descended into nonsense. If you didn't agree, you didn't have to be snarky about it.

He wasn't being a troll. Just expressing an opinion. And what happened there was ganging up and unnecessary.

I'm sure EVERYBODY on this board enjoyed Carrie's performance, but that doesn't mean we can't critique it. How boring would this thread be if every single post said, "Great performance!" Extremely boring. Differing opinions is what a discussion board is about. Personally, I enjoyed the performance a lot, but that doesn't mean I'll just pretend Carrie was pitch perfect. Sure, you could tell me to "keep it to myself," but it's a discussion board, and maybe I want to discuss my opinion that Carrie was sharp on the low nights and her held out notes didn't stay on pitch the whole time. Or maybe I want to discuss Carrie's tone from performance to performance (which I thought her tone was WAY BETTER than it's been during this era thus far; she's getting back to PO shape). I shouldn't be attacked for it.

Just think before you post. When you guy said he overreacted, I chuckled to myself because I thought you guys were the ones who overreacted.

So, that's my opinion. It's gonna be really unpopular, but I don't care. I'm standing up for what I believe in, and I believe that someone shouldn't be attacked for critiquing a vocal performance.

allamericangirl8

What about his posts was bashing Carrie?

That Carrie was flat? That Carrie was losing it and he wants her to bring back her 2010 voice? That Carrie sucked tonight? He may not have colored his language to your liking, but he wasn't bashing Carrie. He made it clear that he just didn't like her performance tonight or just her performances lately. That's pretty much the extent of his "bashing."

epicamends

Saying that Carrie sucked tonight IS bashing, though. Go ahead and say it wasn't your favourite performance of hers, give examples why. But saying "Carrie sucked," "come back Carrie" (suggesting that she's losing 'it'), yeah, those do come across as bashing. Especially on a fan site. This is the internet, tone doesn't always come across. Perhaps it wasn't meant as harsh as it came across. I do know he is a big Carrie fan.

I do think both sides overreacted, yes. And personal attacks are certainly out of line. But still, when you post something like that (in its own thread, nonetheless), or (especially) say that Carrie's losing it and needs to redeem herself, you can't seriously expect people to react positively to that. On a Carrie fan site. lol.

But anyway, that thread was closed. Let's not start the argument up all over again.

allamericangirl8

Saying that Carrie sucked tonight IS bashing, though.

But how is that bashing? Saying Carrie sucks, period, no questions asked, is bashing, sure, but saying she sucked on this performance is just the same as saying you didn't like the performance. Just in a less euphemistic way.

He said her voice isn't what it used to be and she sucked.... what kind of reaction did he expect?

Her voice isn't what it used to be. That's a fact. Whether you prefer it or not is up to you, but it isn't the same. Her voice changes era to era, and that's not an opinion. For instance, I believe that her PO era was the best vocally. She didn't sound the way she sounded on any other era, and she sounded awesome. Like, seriously, those were her best performances.

He didn't say she sucked. He said she sucked tonight, as in he didn't like the performance.

oldyfan

That Carrie was flat? That Carrie was losing it and he wants her to bring back her 2010 voice? That Carrie sucked tonight? He may not have colored his language to your liking, but he wasn't bashing Carrie. He made it clear that he just didn't like her performance tonight or just her performances lately. That's pretty much the extent of his "bashing."

Seriously? If I said your opinion sucked and that you needed to redeem yourself I think you would be offended, and rightfully so. JMO

allamericangirl8

Well, I swing both ways........LMAO see what I did there. See, I think i'm funny, but really i'm not. And I just meant that about the characters.....Wow, it's late and I'm rambling. Night Nicole :)

I see what you did there. I think Jane and Maura swing both ways, too. Or just one way, to each other... Janet needs to get with the program and write them getting together. -_- Goodnight, Hil! :)

oldyfan

When did he say anyone's opinion sucked? I thought just said Carrie sucked tonight and needed to get better...?

It's called an example, he didn't say her opinion sucked he said she sucked. And, needs to get better is not the same thing as saying she needs to redeem herself. Seriously, not fighting...just look up the definition.

allamericangirl8

But you're not addressing my point. He didn't say she sucked. He said she sucked tonight. Honestly, I just got in an argument with my cousin a couple months back because she said, "Axl Rose sucks and needs Slash to make him sound better." I said she was technically incorrect because he's one of the most skilled vocalists in the genre and we argued for hours until finally she was like, "You know, when I say he 'sucks,' I don't mean skill-wise. I just mean I don't like his voice." And I got it. Some people just don't speak in technically correct ways. I've seen this guy on YouTube and here, and he's usually the one arguing with us about our negativity, so it's kinda funny to see the shoe on the other foot. Anyway, the point is that he's proven that he doesn't think she sucks. He's proven he's a huge fan of Carrie's. He simply didn't like her performance. You get me? I hope I cleared up the point I've been trying to make.

As for the "redeem" thing... To redeem is to make up for some wrong you did. I didn't actually see him use the word "redeem," but he might've and I wasn't paying attention or something. :laugh: But anyway, in this context, I don't see what else it could possibly mean besides, "To get better." To make up for the wrong she did... the wrong she did in this situation was the way she sang. So to redeem herself would be to have a performance that knocks everyone's socks off. Wouldn't that be wishing her to get better?

oldyfan

But you're not addressing my point. He didn't say she sucked. He said she sucked tonight. Honestly, I just got in an argument with my cousin a couple months back because she said, "Axl Rose sucks and needs Slash to make him sound better." I said she was technically incorrect because he's one of the most skilled vocalists in the genre and we argued for hours until finally she was like, "You know, when I say he 'sucks,' I don't mean skill-wise. I just mean I don't like his voice." And I got it. Some people just don't speak in technically correct ways. I've seen this guy on YouTube and here, and he's usually the one arguing with us about our negativity, so it's kinda funny to see the shoe on the other foot. Anyway, the point is that he's proven that he doesn't think she sucks. He's proven he's a huge fan of Carrie's. He simply didn't like her performance. You get me? I hope I cleared up the point I've been trying to make.

Hah! I get you, I just don't agree. :)

As for the "redeem" thing... To redeem is to make up for some wrong you did. I didn't actually see him use the word "redeem," but he might've and I wasn't paying attention or something. :laugh: But anyway, in this context, I don't see what else it could possibly mean besides, "To get better." To make up for the wrong she did... the wrong she did in this situation was the way she sang. So to redeem herself would be to have a performance that knocks everyone's socks off. Wouldn't that be wishing her to get better?

Yes, he did use the word redeem, and redeem does not mean "to get better" or to "make up for the wrong she did" ( but, do you really think she did wrong)? It does mean to compensate for faults, or poor past performance or behavior. Again, do you really think Carrie has ever had a Poor or Bad performance in her life? Not all her performances may be perfect, but none have ever been poor or bad. My performance would be poor or bad, never Carrie's! :). Nuff for tonight.

allamericangirl8

It does mean to compensate for poor past performance

Right. That's what I said.

Again, do you really think Carrie has ever had a Poor or Bad performance in her life? Not all her performances may be perfect, but none have ever been poor or bad. My performance would be poor or bad, never Carrie's! :).

They're not poor when compared to other people's, but they're poor when you compare them to her past performances, and that's what matters, y'know? I don't care that she sang GG at that one award show for instance better than anyone sang any of their songs. I cared that it wasn't up to par with what she's capable of. When you have someone who has performances like HGTA at GNO, you're gonna have performances that are poor by comparison. It's all relativity. Going back to GG (was it at the ACMs? They're all the same to me...), that, compared to everyone in mainstream today, was an amazing performance. But compared to her vocals at CMA Fest in 2010 with, say, Paradise City, it was a below average performance. Do you get what I'm saying?

Personally, I critique Carrie against Carrie herself. It sounded to me like mtreasmith was doing the same thing. Maybe you disagree that mtreasmith was doing the same thing, and that's fine. We can agree to disagree on that. :) I agree creating his own thread was over-the-top, but I honestly don't think he meant much if any harm. Again, we can agree to disagree there.

Claire2004

Posting that Carrie sucked is bashing in my opinion.

allamericangirl8

:( It'd be nice if you guys actually read and responded to my arguments instead of just one sentence in which I state an opinion. At least oldyfan was trying.

oldyfan

Right. That's what I said.

No, it wasn't! I said I wouldn't respond any more tonight. Geez! Short last response.

They're not poor when compared to other people's, but they're poor when you compare them to her past performances, and that's what matters, y'know? I don't care that she sang GG at that one award show for instance better than anyone sang any of their songs. I cared that it wasn't up to par with what she's capable of. When you have someone who has performances like HGTA at GNO, you're gonna have performances that are poor by comparison. It's all relativity. Going back to GG (was it at the ACMs? They're all the same to me...), that, compared to everyone in mainstream today, was an amazing performance. But compared to her vocals at CMA Fest in 2010 with, say, Paradise City, it was a below average performance. Do you get what I'm saying?

Personally, I critique Carrie against Carrie herself. It sounded to me like mtreasmith was doing the same thing. Maybe you disagree that mtreasmith was doing the same thing, and that's fine. We can agree to disagree on that. :) I agree creating his own thread was over-the-top, but I honestly don't think he meant much if any harm. Again, we can agree to disagree there.

He said she sucked, not that her performance was sub par for her. I don't think I have EVER heard a Carrie fan say Carrie sucked before, or even that her performance sucked. This time for good, night!

allamericangirl8

He said she sucked, not that her performance was sub par for her. I don't think I have EVER heard a Carrie fan say Carrie sucked before, or even that her performance sucked. This time for good, night!

Well, by comparison to performances like HGTA at GNO, he thought she did suck tonight.

Again, like I said, the word "tonight" is a very key word. Also, remember that some people use the word "suck" when they mean "don't like." I don't agree with using the word "suck" that way (as you saw from my argument with my cousin), but I accept it, I guess.

I don't know. Bashing to me would just be hating without anything to back up the hatred, and not only did I not think mtreasmith was hating, but I thought he had very good points (that she was flat on some notes, etc).

LOL I know this place can be addicting when there's drama. x) Goodnight, oldyfan!