Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Appeal to Please Be Kind to Other Posters

HuiZ

I was ok with his posts until he said Carrie sucked. That was unnecessarily harsh, imo.

carebear4eva

There is no doubt in my mind that as a fanbase we are blessed with probably the most talented singer of our generation. How many times in the past seven years has our girl given a bad performance?

Amidst that background, you would think we would be one of the LEAST defensive groups. It makes sense to me...When no one else can say anything derogatory about Carrie's voice, we lose the urge to 'protect her honour'.

And yet, are we? No! For whatever reason, with every passing day Carriefans is turning into Carriecheerleaders, and it's tiring. We are NOT here to heap unconditional praise on every single thing she does. "OMG! Did you guys SEE the way she took a sip of water just there? SHE'S SO GREAT!"

Someone earlier posted in the "bad" thread that Carrie's biggest critics are her fans. I felt myself mentally turn into Margaret Thatcher. "NO! No! No!"

(Margaret Thatcher No No No - YouTube)

We are on the whole an extremely supportive fanbase. It is ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

Now, I, and several others with me, have often cautioned against us turning into a bunch of yes-men. When Tee criticized the choice of MS as the 4th single, I distinctly recall someone posting ("Our job is to agree with whatever Carrie does and always say good things.")

Again,

Margaret Thatcher No No No - YouTube

And for goodness sake, saying Carrie blew a performance is NOT bashing. It is simply a matter of OPINION. I think WAY is one of the crappiest songs of all time. Am I bashing Carrie? I thought Carrie's acting was only so-so in Soul Surfer. Am I a hater? I thought Carrie's GG performance on the ACMs was VERY bad. Am I trolling?

If you think every single thing a person does is spectacular; if you lose the ability to form your own opinion and go to a default setting of "GREATEST THING EVER", then you're not a fan you're a robot.

As for the "come back Carrie, you're losing it", again IT'S AN OPINION. Does anyone deny Carrie sounds tremendously different these days than her Idol days? No? So you agree her voice is constantly changing, yes? And when that is the case, obviously one's entitled to prefer one sound over the other. Of course there are the critics who will tell us which one is supposed to be better, but screw them. Carrie's voice does constantly change, usually improving (IMO). Get over it.

The only things I disagree with what Mtrea said/did are A) starting a whole new thread (excessive, IMO) and B) Leaving.

I have said it a million times. YOU DON'T LEAVE THE BOARD BECAUSE OF ONE DISAGREEMENT NO MATTER HOW NASTY. It happens WAAAY too often - the most recent would of course be my "controversial" siggy. I'm sorry, but it's the most desperately immature thing to do, a piteous cry for attention. "I'm sad, so I'm going to go sulk in the corner until you come sucking up to me." I swear it's coming to the point where we have conversations like this :

A: Oh, my! Carrie's wearing yellow. Yellow is my favourite colour.
B: Blue is my favourite colour.
A: WHAT??? YOU FILTHY SUNUVA*****! THAT IS SO OFFENSIVE! I AM GOING TO LEAVE THIS BOARD AND NEVER SEE ANY OF YOU EVER AGAIN! I WILL FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO SPEND MY TIME!

Immediate chorus from all of CFs : No, no, A! Please stay! We love you so much!

On this note, I have to say how much respect I have for Tee. We dole truck-loads of crap on her everyday, and she hasn't once gone down this silly escapist path.

And that's my rant.

Oh, and if anyone cares about my opinion, I thought the performance was rather awesome...I don't have a musical "ear", so I find it hard to distinguish "flat" and "pitchy" and all that stuff. Only if it's very obvious do I notice it, as exemplified below :

Taylor Swift is horrible live! - YouTube

Okay, that was 'mean'.

Okay, that was intentional.

thaifood

Here's the thing. Whenever somebody comes on here & says Carrie sucks they can expect to get major flack. Then when they do get the flack they throw a little hissy fit & threaten to leave expecting everyone to beg them to stay. That to me is someone that is trying to hard to garner attention & I say good bye & good luck & please don't expect me to beg you not to leave.

pklongbeach

Boy, I guess things got a little cooky lastnight.
I was not involved so I don't have an opinion about lastnight.
But, I do accept coles opening statements and honor that sentiment.
And really those who will argue "for" peoples right to be as harsh as they want, you have a point. Absolutely.
BUT, as we are all Carrie fans, and only human, it would make sense to tread lightly if you are going to discredit something Carrie did. If you are going to go out with guns blazin' about "Carrie Sucked" you are gonna get return fire! And you know to expect it. Lets not pretend that the original poster did not have thier own motives to engage the fans in a debate.
But of course we are all entitled to our opinions. And trust me, WE use that right all the time.
But I believe in a civil society where there is decorum and eticite.
If some disagreed they should certainly find a way to make their own case so compelling that it would shut the other down without a counter "attack". But it goes both ways.
IF you are gonna come here and use words like "sucked..." in the same phrase with the word "Carrie..", I would hope you would be met with passionate oposition!
You have to remember the purpose for people coming here. They come here to "support" Carrie. Of course they are entitled to an opinion. But show some respect.
Y'all know how I feel bout TS, and I would never go to a TS fan site and insight arguments about her. Why would I do that??
respect those peoples right to have a place to go to support her. (and no, ts fans, the ts thread here is not the same).
The best argument against negative propaganda is positive support.
So thanks, Cole. I support you in your effort to remind us all to play nice.
And can I just say for the record....
"I"M SURE GLAD I WAS NOT HERE WHEN SOMEONE SAID '.....SUCKED'!!!!!!!!!!
There is absolutely no place for that period. Let me make that one point perfectly clear.

cole

There is no doubt in my mind that as a fanbase we are blessed with probably the most talented singer of our generation. How many times in the past seven years has our girl given a bad performance?

Amidst that background, you would think we would be one of the LEAST defensive groups. It makes sense to me...When no one else can say anything derogatory about Carrie's voice, we lose the urge to 'protect her honour'.

And yet, are we? No! For whatever reason, with every passing day Carriefans is turning into Carriecheerleaders, and it's tiring. We are NOT here to heap unconditional praise on every single thing she does. "OMG! Did you guys SEE the way she took a sip of water just there? SHE'S SO GREAT!"

Someone earlier posted in the "bad" thread that Carrie's biggest critics are her fans. I felt myself mentally turn into Margaret Thatcher. "NO! No! No!"

(Margaret Thatcher No No No - YouTube)

We are on the whole an extremely supportive fanbase. It is ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

Now, I, and several others with me, have often cautioned against us turning into a bunch of yes-men. When Tee criticized the choice of MS as the 4th single, I distinctly recall someone posting ("Our job is to agree with whatever Carrie does and always say good things.")

Again,

Margaret Thatcher No No No - YouTube

And for goodness sake, saying Carrie blew a performance is NOT bashing. It is simply a matter of OPINION. I think WAY is one of the crappiest songs of all time. Am I bashing Carrie? I thought Carrie's acting was only so-so in Soul Surfer. Am I a hater? I thought Carrie's GG performance on the ACMs was VERY bad. Am I trolling?

If you think every single thing a person does is spectacular; if you lose the ability to form your own opinion and go to a default setting of "GREATEST THING EVER", then you're not a fan you're a robot.

As for the "come back Carrie, you're losing it", again IT'S AN OPINION. Does anyone deny Carrie sounds tremendously different these days than her Idol days? No? So you agree her voice is constantly changing, yes? And when that is the case, obviously one's entitled to prefer one sound over the other. Of course there are the critics who will tell us which one is supposed to be better, but screw them. Carrie's voice does constantly change, usually improving (IMO). Get over it.

The only things I disagree with what Mtrea said/did are A) starting a whole new thread (excessive, IMO) and B) Leaving.

I have said it a million times. YOU DON'T LEAVE THE BOARD BECAUSE OF ONE DISAGREEMENT NO MATTER HOW NASTY. It happens WAAAY too often - the most recent would of course be my "controversial" siggy. I'm sorry, but it's the most desperately immature thing to do, a piteous cry for attention. "I'm sad, so I'm going to go sulk in the corner until you come sucking up to me." I swear it's coming to the point where we have conversations like this :

A: Oh, my! Carrie's wearing yellow. Yellow is my favourite colour.
B: Blue is my favourite colour.
A: WHAT??? YOU FILTHY SUNUVA*****! THAT IS SO OFFENSIVE! I AM GOING TO LEAVE THIS BOARD AND NEVER SEE ANY OF YOU EVER AGAIN! I WILL FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO SPEND MY TIME!

Immediate chorus from all of CFs : No, no, A! Please stay! We love you so much!

On this note, I have to say how much respect I have for Tee. We dole truck-loads of crap on her everyday, and she hasn't once gone down this silly escapist path.

And that's my rant.

Oh, and if anyone cares about my opinion, I thought the performance was rather awesome...I don't have a musical "ear", so I find it hard to distinguish "flat" and "pitchy" and all that stuff. Only if it's very obvious do I notice it, as exemplified below :

Taylor Swift is horrible live! - YouTube

Okay, that was 'mean'.

Okay, that was intentional.

Aayush, I couldn't have said it any better myself. :mysmilie_34:

Except for the part about Taylor. Taytay is my girl, and I personally love her, even though that is not a popular thought here. :p

epicamends

Just so my opinion on this matter is clear, I was not referring to all Carrie fans when I said we are some of her worst critics. Nor am I referring to some Carrie fans all of the time. Of course we're a very supportive bunch. :) It just seemed strange to me that after all the complaining we've done in the last week about how critics hold Carrie to a higher standard than everyone else, it was clear that we do the same as well. Which may be justified, depending on how you feel about it.

For me, it wasn't the criticism about the performance that bothered me. It was the suggestion that Carrie is losing it, and her voice isn't what it used to be (which wasn't used, from what I saw, to suggest simply that her voice has changed, but in fact it was explicitly stated by a few people that it's weakening). That's what got to me, because it seemed like people have selective memory when bringing up that argument. Have all of Carrie's performances in the past year and a half been perfect? No. She's human. There's been mistakes. But, she's also given several of the best performances of her career in that timeframe (HGTA, Crossroads, Late Night w/ Letterman, etc). So the suggestion that she blew out her voice during the PO tour and can't sing as well anymore did upset me, because IMO it's flat-out incorrect. (I do note that the original poster did not make all of those comments. It was the combination of several different posters and comments that got me talking.)

Still, like I said earlier in this thread, personal attacks against posters are out-of-line. We are all entitled to have our own opinions. That said, if your opinion is "Carrie sucked," you will be met with strong opposition on a Carrie fan site, and it should be expected. lol. But hopefully in the future we can keep it about the music and performances, and not about each other.

Claire2004

No. Saying Carrie SUCKS is bashing. Saying Carrie's PERFORMANCE SUCKED TONIGHT is criticizing.

Well, this is the original post with that word: http://www.carriefans.com/forums/ca...8-blown-away-american-idol-4.html#post4304730
That statement seemed pretty clear to me. (Shrugs)

I do appreciate what you're saying Cole, and your intentions when you started this thread. You made some good points, and hopefully next time an issue occurs here at CF, and I'm sure there would be as this site is full of action lol, we all will remember to take a deep breath. lol

supercarriefan

Here's the thing. Whenever somebody comes on here & says Carrie sucks they can expect to get major flack. Then when they do get the flack they throw a little hissy fit & threaten to leave expecting everyone to beg them to stay. That to me is someone that is trying to hard to garner attention & I say good bye & good luck & please don't expect me to beg you not to leave.

Several posters have done this very thing. Several of them are still here lol.
If someone threatens to leave, I expect that they mean it and I wish them well in their future endeavors. I don't expect that they just say it to see how many people will tell them they love their posts and how much of a valued poster they are and such. If you threaten to leave, actually leave for at least a few days lol...don't come back three hours later after the chorus of "don't go" and "we love you" claiming that you've changed your mind lol.

Anyway, I'm glad I wasn't here for the drama last night. I did glance through the thread, and kudos to those of you that responded in a respectful way to the original poster's comments. The original poster wasn't disrespectful, just honestly voicing an opinion. Actually this person offered to abandon the thread and have it deleted a few times, but people kept feeding the fire.
I've seen people post far more offensive things than this poster, yet it didn't create this drama. I saw some less than stellar comments (actually comments very similar to the ones in the thread in question)from other posters about the BA performance in the AI thread and the Twitter thread, yet it didn't create this drama. Sadly, this is all started because a new poster created a new thread to discuss things.
A bit of a double standard exists around here, and it makes me sad because I think it does drive people away.
All that being said, this is a discussion forum. People are allowed to have differing opinions. They are allowed to debate things. Just because this is a Carrie fan forum doesn't mean everyone here has to think everything she does is perfect. As long as everyone remains respectful, things will be fine. The trouble occurs when people starting tossing around insulting words.

pklongbeach

Ok, well just keepin it real? We've gotten alot worse in the past.
I am going with the consensus, words like Sucked and Carrie should not be put together. There is opinion and there is "intent to insite bad feelings", and that seemed to be the motive.
And I have to agree with those who are disturbed by the suggestion that Carries voice is somehow diminished.
Are you kidding me???
Blown Away:The Album, is the best Carrie has ever sung, EVer!
It is every bit of her most amazing abilitites all called together to creat a tapestry of exceptional abilitiy. And at her age of 29, she is singing the best of her life (potencially).
Lastnights performances had some major obstacles: the vocal on record is "processed" to create the etherial sound you get on the recording. She is not going to be able to recreate that live without singing through a processor. And I am sure they decided early that she would never do that!!
Also, the song is low in her range. She never really gets a chance to belt anywhere in the song. So she is called to forcibly push notes in her mid range to create that urgency that she has on the recording and that is difficult to do when you are so low in your range.
Nothing about it was surprising to me in the least. It's not the greatest showcase of her voice live. They chose to process her voice on record and so now when you hear it live it will not have the same affect, period.
Also, it has that low running driving beat so the dinamics don't change all that much. IT's effective on record but live it becomes repetative.
It's just a Carrie sound we have never heard before. Thats it.
Losing her voice..........that is flat out laughable.
I have always been the first to be concerned with her oversinging and blowing out her pipes.
Well let me assure you my friends.... the voice on Blown Away:The Album is at the absolute best if it's abilities. Better by far then it's ever been.
You can rest on that.

12russ79

Trolls are Trolls plain and simple and will not be tolerated by me... You can pretend your a Carriefan all you want but when you say Carrie has lost it and sucks... The whole forum should come to Carries defense.... If I was here last night I probably would of got banned because certain people on this board should be called out...And some of the comments went way over the line.... THIS IS A CARRIE FANSITE.... If you don't like the way she sings go someplace else because I for one will always have her back.... SHE ROCKED BLOWN AWAY LIKE SHE ALWAYS DOES....

_luvqry

This is a forum. If you are about to post your opinion and more than that you want to create a thread just for it you gotta be ready for replies whether it's good or not. While some thought he was only stating his opinion I found him very rude and I thought he just kept going and going to the point he said "Carrie sucked, goodbye". I didn't see people attacking him but calling some of the things he did or said "stupid" as I did. Cole even said I called him stupid but I didn't... we were all answering his posts and the fact he didn't stop just made it worse.

We all have moments here when we said "not my favorite performance" or "she's out of breath" or "I prefer her to sing instead of dancing" but it didn't get close to what that mtreas did.

In the end no one oblige him to leave. He can still create as many posts as he wants to no matter if it's a compliment, a critic, a bash, whatever... but people will reply back and it might be good or not. If you can't live with that then just don't post.

judes

If I'm not mistaken Trea Smith is an avid Carriefan - he's been around for years on CMT and back when they had the messageboards, he still posts there on articles, I don't know if he's a member of the fan club but he might be , anyway, too bad all of this went down -

pklongbeach

IT is too bad it went down. And if he is a Carrie fan than all the worse.
But fan or not, we should show social graces. I know not everybody lives by the same code of ethics, but depending on the cicumstances one must curb thier won behaviors if they expect to be taken seriously.
IF I go on judge judy and act a fool. She is going to dismiss me as a fool. Not cause I am one but because I am acting like one.
Poeple who want to be taken seriously must speak to thier audience. Not to their own ideas and then just expect the world to listen.
IT sounds like things just got out of hand and instead of back off and realizing he was in a situation he was not going to win in, he just threw out words to hurt and left.
Fan or not, that does not serve anyone.
Hopefully, if he is a fan, he will return and realize that there are limits to what is appropriate behavior. And though no one makes the rules on it, the community at large basically sets the standard. And if they say you are out of line, than it's time to back up and do some inventory. Fighting back harder helps no one.
And remember: we have a rant thread to go to and spout off in.
IF someones angry or misunderstood, go there and state your case and let it go.
This is an improtant time for us all.
No one needs to leave. But no one needs to accept words like those that were used lastnight either.
Take it to the rant thread and lt it go.

oldyfan

Cole, I agree people need to be kinder to one another. Since this is a "Carriefans" board, I would think that Carrie would be included in that. Telling anyone their performance sucked, or they suck, or anything having the word "sucked" in it would not fall under the kinder, gentler "can't we all get along" posts. I'm over it for right now, I would hope people would be a little more aware of any thread they might start going forward.

allamericangirl8

Yeah, he was saying Carrie's voice has diminished. That's his opinion as a person who's followed her for years. I don't see the issue.

I think it's very different when a fan critiques her than when just anyone does, because we know everything in a sense. We see it all. We follow every little detail. And it's not coming from a bad place because we are FANS. Obviously we all love Carrie. Don't you hold yourself to a higher standard than others because you know what you're capable of? It's the same principle.

I find it rather sad when people have to PM me their criticisms on Carrie's performance because they're afraid of simply posting in the thread about said performance.

For the record, even though I know you're not on our side in this debate, Tee, you really are a trooper. x) I feel like you get monkey feces flung at you by us everyday, but you never leave.

supercarriefan

From reading through people's thoughts in this thread, it doesn't seem to actually be the fact that the poster started their own thread to discuss the BA performance that has most people upset, but rather a certain word that was used.
Saying anything "sucks" is likely not the best choice of words. There are far better words in the English language to describe something you may think wasn't/isn't that great. I personally think "sucks" is overused in society today. People just through out things like, "that song sucks" or "that movie sucked", and don't bother to explain why they think that way.
However, the poster that used the word in question made his point in several different ways before he even used that word. He actually called for the thread to be closed twice in order to avoid further discussion, but people kept responding to the thread. He obviously felt threatened and responded to those people. Personally, I think people on both sides of the argument needed to stop posting in that thread and walk away.

Nicole, I wholeheartedly agree with you about critiques being different coming from fans. We all love Carrie immensely, but sometimes we aren't going to love something she does. That's fine. We are human...we don't have to like every little thing Carrie does just because she is Carrie. Being a fan doesn't necessarily mean loving everything about that artist, and certainly doesn't mean not being able to have an individual opinion about that artist.
I, too, think it is sad that some people feel that their true opinions on certain things related to Carrie can't be discussed out in open on this forum for fear of being told they aren't a fan or they are terrible because they dare say something less than amazing about Carrie. People here should be allowed to voice their opinions on all things Carrie as long as they are respectful. Again, it goes back to using the appropriate words, and being mindful of the way things you say may be interpreted. There are ways to say you don't love something and still be respectful.

Tee, I agree with Nicole. I admire you for sticking around and not threatening to leave just because people don't always agree with you. I like that you aren't afraid of a good debate, but when the time comes, you know when to move on without sulking. I know people (myself included lol) can be hard on you for your constant worrying, but you are appreciated around here. Plus, you have been doing an awesome job at being positive so far this era :).

carebear4eva

I pretty much agree with everyone who's commented since, I think, with a few exceptions that I thought were laced with such hypocrisy it was insane. I think Jess raised the most interesting point here, and that's what I'd like to talk about :

It just seemed strange to me that after all the complaining we've done in the last week about how critics hold Carrie to a higher standard than everyone else, it was clear that we do the same as well. Which may be justified, depending on how you feel about it.

You're absolutely right. This is what I think. Nicole already alluded to it, but I'm gonna put it my way :

Consider an immensely gifted student, and a highly average one. One grasps concepts at the speed of lightning, and the other at a much slower pace. One requires a night of casual study in order to ace a hard paper, the other needs to cram for a week.

Now, I'm gonna give you two categories for each child. The first comprises of his parents, his closest friends, and his teachers. These are people who love the child, who know the child very well. They thus a) want the best for the child, and b) know what the child is capable of achieving. Category 2 is, for instance, the guy in colleges who approves applications, or maybe an employer looking for new recruits. These guys know very little about the child, and don't have a 'personal' relationship with the child.

If the gifted child is slacking off and only managing an average performance, Category 1 is fully permitted to pull him up for it. They know the child is underperforming, and it is their duty to criticize him for it. Category 2, however has no such privilege.

I trust you see my point. When one of us, who LOVES Carrie with all our heart and who have seen the kind of brilliance she is capable of, from HGTA to Change (at the CNN function) and everything in between, watch the ACM performance of GG and criticize it (even if we do it bluntly and impolitely), we know what we're talking about, and we're well-meaning. Carrie herself probably thought "Eh, not my best" after the GG ACM performance. So did we. No big deal. It is our place to weigh her against herself.

It is, however, the duty of critics to weigh her against the general crowd. It makes no sense to label a brilliant album as D- because the artist is capable of better work. That would be like a college accepting the guy who got a 60 average and rejecting the guy who got a 90, because that guy is capable of a 95.

So while "can do so much better" is a VERY valid criticism, it should not, and DOES not take away from the overall merit of the album itself. Or a performance. In our eyes, perhaps yesterday's BA performance was only so-so (I still don't see how, I thought she did very well). But that's our judgement, knowing she's capable of HGTA (not that every performance can be a HGTA either). However, to someone listening to Carrie for the first time, I am confident he would have thought it was brilliant. Now you can go up and show him the HGTA video, and he will say that's a better performance. That does not immediately translate to this performance "sucking".

Wow, that was quite a rant.

As for this part :

For me, it wasn't the criticism about the performance that bothered me. It was the suggestion that Carrie is losing it, and her voice isn't what it used to be (which wasn't used, from what I saw, to suggest simply that her voice has changed, but in fact it was explicitly stated by a few people that it's weakening). That's what got to me, because it seemed like people have selective memory when bringing up that argument. Have all of Carrie's performances in the past year and a half been perfect? No. She's human. There's been mistakes. But, she's also given several of the best performances of her career in that timeframe (HGTA, Crossroads, Late Night w/ Letterman, etc). So the suggestion that she blew out her voice during the PO tour and can't sing as well anymore did upset me, because IMO it's flat-out incorrect. (I do note that the original poster did not make all of those comments. It was the combination of several different posters and comments that got me talking.)

I completely agree. And it is our place to voice our extreme disagreement with the remark. Like you said yourself, however, personal attacks are out-of-place.

Several posters have done this very thing. Several of them are still here lol.
If someone threatens to leave, I expect that they mean it and I wish them well in their future endeavors. I don't expect that they just say it to see how many people will tell them they love their posts and how much of a valued poster they are and such. If you threaten to leave, actually leave for at least a few days lol...don't come back three hours later after the chorus of "don't go" and "we love you" claiming that you've changed your mind lol.

Anyway, I'm glad I wasn't here for the drama last night. I did glance through the thread, and kudos to those of you that responded in a respectful way to the original poster's comments. The original poster wasn't disrespectful, just honestly voicing an opinion. Actually this person offered to abandon the thread and have it deleted a few times, but people kept feeding the fire.
I've seen people post far more offensive things than this poster, yet it didn't create this drama. I saw some less than stellar comments (actually comments very similar to the ones in the thread in question)from other posters about the BA performance in the AI thread and the Twitter thread, yet it didn't create this drama. Sadly, this is all started because a new poster created a new thread to discuss things.
A bit of a double standard exists around here, and it makes me sad because I think it does drive people away.
All that being said, this is a discussion forum. People are allowed to have differing opinions. They are allowed to debate things. Just because this is a Carrie fan forum doesn't mean everyone here has to think everything she does is perfect. As long as everyone remains respectful, things will be fine. The trouble occurs when people starting tossing around insulting words.

For the non-bolded parts, WELL SAID!

For the bolded parts, marry me, please? x)