Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bruce Springsteen, Carrie Underwood to Perform at Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction!

maddkat

Staff member
We were discussing the show in my last class and we all are wondering why Carrie's publicity people does not get these things out so more people would tune in. Someone suggested that Carrie may not want it released but that does not make much sense ----she is a very intelligent lady and being a journalist --she knows how these things need to made public. Confused....

It is out. If you mean why didn't Carrie mention I would assume it's because it wasn't hers to mention.Meaning it's up the the shows HOF/producers to issue the press releases. Not the individuals.

Farawayhills

I cannot wait to hear what Faraway has to say about this. ( smile) i think she likes Linda right? I love her voice!

(A lot of people think I'm a she - but I can't claim that honour) (smiley)

I actually tweeted Carrie about a tribute to Linda in some form, before the CMAs. I don't suppose she reads my tweets, lol - but I'm not surprised that she would want to be in a trinbute at some stage.

Linda is not a writer, but Carrie's been associated with two songs that Linda gave classic interpretations of - "When Will I Be Loved" (on American Idol), and "Desperado" (at the Grammys)
("Desperado" has been jokingly called my theme song, lol)

Appearing with Emmylou and Bonnie is one of my wish-list priorities for Carrie.

(My only concern is that some fans of this Hall, and the magazine that backs it, don't like Carrie. David Wild and Sheryl Crow do, however, and they should be able to offer advice on what reception to expect. Some genre snobs can be very critical - but I hope everyone enters into the spirit of the occasion)

rainbow1

WoW!! Just checked in for the day! What a wonderful, wonderful surprise and honor for Carrie. You couldn't find a better group of ladies to sing Linda's praises!!!!

gwade82

I just hope Carrie does not dial down her performance as she is apt to do so as not to upstage the other performers . I think it is time for Carrie to assume her rightful position as the top vocalist today. I know that is not her style but I think it is time.
Do any of you agree??

AdamJ

It is out. If you mean why didn't Carrie mention I would assume it's because it wasn't hers to mention.Meaning it's up the the shows HOF/producers to issue the press releases. Not the individuals.

I agree that the Producers, etc. should make the initial announcement---but then it would be great if Carrie's team would post it also to give her more exposure as some of the other artist's teams do. My parents are fans of Linda and I am happy Carrie is going to be part of the show.

pklongbeach

I actually tweeted Carrie about a tribute to Linda in some form, before the CMAs. I don't suppose she reads my tweets, lol - but I'm not surprised that she would want to be in a trinbute at some stage.

Linda is not a writer, but Carrie's been associated with two songs that Linda gave classic interpretations of - "When Will I Be Loved" (on American Idol), and "Desperado" (at the Grammys)

(My only concern is that some fans of this Hall, and the magazine that backs it, don't like Carrie. David Wild and Sheryl Crow do, however, and they should be able to offer advice on what reception to expect. Some genre snobs can be very critical - but I hope everyone enters into the spirit of the occasion)

I won't pause for much concern regarding Carries inclusion here. She is with a wonderful mix of hugely successful Women coming together to honor a Legend in the vocal world.

Ironically, if the snobs wish to hold their nose up to the idea of Carrie and a Rock Hall of Fame event, I would suggest they look at who she is honoring. Linda is first, an amazing and veritile vocalist, and far down the list I would suggest she is a "Rock Vocalist"!

Though again, as veritile a singer as she was, she straddled many fences and made many styles of music sound authentic. Her contributions to Rock in the early 70's included!

epicamends

I just hope Carrie does not dial down her performance as she is apt to do so as not to upstage the other performers . I think it is time for Carrie to assume her rightful position as the top vocalist today. I know that is not her style but I think it is time.
Do any of you agree??

You have to keep in mind that this is a tribute performance. The moment is not about Carrie, it's about honoring Linda Ronstadt.

pklongbeach

But I will say, these are again the moments that make me proud of the fact that Carries talent is recognized.

When her presence is once again requested among company like:

Bruce Springsteen / Micheal Stripe / Emmelou Harris / Stevie Nicks / Glen Frey / Bonnie Raitt / Chris Martin..........

in order to sing honoring one of the best female voices of the past 40 years!

It makes some of my whinning about one sad little group of insiders seem So Small!

teesharky

Oh wow tx! I always thought you were a female. Not sure why to be fair. No particular reason. Maybe your Carrie avatar. haha Who knows. sorry! (smile)

Yes I am thrilled about this too! I think the genre purists in the Rock world will be ok with Carrie honoring Linda though right? It is not like Carrie is doing a tribute for Nirvanna or Kiss. haha I could see that being a problem with their fans.

But by now, Carrie has sort of dabbled with Rock purists for awhile, and she seems to be coming out unscathed. lol She did the Motley Crue cover of HSH, and took some heat, but the band loved it, and likes her. She even follows Nikki Sixx on twitter. They have met etc. She performed with Vince Neil too. Then you have her Aerosmith connection/duet. Sebastian Bach loves her for her cover of his Skid Row song. His fans liked her cover too, believe it or not. Then you have Carrie's GNR fetish (which I share)- lol. The band seems to like her and follows her on twitter. Rolling STones love her, invited her to perform with them, and follow her on twitter. Their fans seemed cool with her there.

So while she has some rock purist haters, lol- I think it is appropriate for Carrie to do a Linda tribute given that it is going to be females honoring her anyway, and Carrie is one of the best vocalists to properly cover her songs. Linda always had a touch of country in her anyway, right? She wasn't purely rock.

Or are you speaking of a different kind of haters? lol I was thinking of Rock purists who follow the Rock and Roll of Fame hoopla.

teesharky

But I will say, these are again the moments that make me proud of the fact that Carries talent is recognized.

Bruce Springsteen / Micheal Stripe / Emmelou Harris / Stevie Nicks / Glen Frey / Bonnie Raitt / Chris Martin..........

It makes some of my whinning about one sad little group of insiders seem So Small!

agree. The ACMS can suck it if they snub her again- which they will. lol

A few days after Carrie leaves empty handed from this sorry group of snots, she will be performing at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. So take that and chew on it, snotty voters. lol

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Carrie went rock instead of country. If this were the 80s- Carrie would have been huge in the rock world, like Blondie or Pat Benatar. But today, rock is so different. Not sure if Carrie fits in there either. She is such a hybrid of country/rock, though, so she fits in perfectly to honor Linda- who straddled both fences too.

epicamends

Yes, and this is exactly why we shouldn't let things like award shows get to us so much. :)

sco

Do any of you agree??

I don't agree and here's why. It's a tribute performance as somebody else mentioned. It's more than likely an ensemble piece and it is just plain unprofessional and rude to go out and drown out or try to upstage ones singing partners.

On the subject of publicity, her team has now made an announcement of the performance. It also would have been unprofessional to preempt the official announcement from the hall of fame.

Farawayhills

Oh wow tx! I always thought you were a female. Not sure why to be fair. No particular reason. Maybe your Carrie avatar. haha Who knows. sorry! (smile)

Yes I am thrilled about this too! I think the genre purists in the Rock world will be ok with Carrie honoring Linda though right? It is not like Carrie is doing a tribute for Nirvanna or Kiss. haha I could see that being a problem with their fans.

But by now, Carrie has sort of dabbled with Rock purists for awhile, and she seems to be coming out unscathed. lol She did the Motley Crue cover of HSH, and took some heat, but the band loved it, and likes her. She even follows Nikki Sixx on twitter. They have met etc. She performed with Vince Neil too. Then you have her Aerosmith connection/duet. Sebastian Bach loves her for her cover of his Skid Row song. His fans liked her cover too, believe it or not. Then you have Carrie's GNR fetish (which I share)- lol. The band seems to like her and follows her on twitter. Rolling STones love her, invited her to perform with them, and follow her on twitter. Their fans seemed cool with her there.

So while she has some rock purist haters, lol- I think it is appropriate for Carrie to do a Linda tribute given that it is going to be females honoring her anyway, and Carrie is one of the best vocalists to properly cover her songs. Linda always had a touch of country in her anyway, right? She wasn't purely rock.

Or are you speaking of a different kind of haters? lol I was thinking of Rock purists who follow the Rock and Roll of Fame hoopla.

A majority of Carrie's core fan base seem to be female (maybe as high as 80% - though that's only a guess, without real evidence - maybe we should do a poll one day!)
Also, I post more about female artists - so I guess it's a natural assumption.

The point I made about possible dislike in some quarters is probably exaggerated (as you and others have said). I was a little worried, partly because Rolling Stone Magazine have not shown much appreciation for Carrie (Jann Wenner, the owner of RS was co-founder of the R & R Hall of Fame, and is known for his strong artist preferences and dislikes ). Also when Carrie's name automatically went forward a few years ago, to begin her eligibility years for possible eventual inclusion in the Hall, there were some very nasty comments made by random fans on their message board (which I answered). Some R&R fans will feel a knee jerk hostility to anyone from Carrie's real or imagined background. However, Ann and Nancy Wilson, of Heart, recently made a speech reminding them that there would be no R & R without Country Music

Linda is of part Hispanic heritage. Several generations ago, her German ancestors settled in what was then part of Mexico, and inter-married with local families. They are a prominent ranching family in Arizona, and Linda's Spanish albums were based on songs her father taught her. She's performed in many styles, including a Pop phase, but Country Music was always one of her best known.

This early video shows Linda performing a Hank Williams song, with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (only two, the lead guitarist, wearing the hat, and the drummer, now remain from this perennially influential band, probably best known to fans here for "God Bless the Broken Road", which Carrie covered)