Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie Underwood 7- Denim and Rhinestones

PRGuy79

I don’t think his take was unfair. The record is what she wanted and he noted his love for CA, PC, and PEE. I disagreed with some aspects such as Faster being dated, because it’s very 80’s and fresh for modern radio… I still think it’d do great at AC!
I'm just frustrated with him because in the past his critique of Carrie has been a lack of cohesiveness. In this review, he acknowledges that the album is cohesive but he's still underwhelmed.

FanSince04

I'm just frustrated with him because in the past his critique of Carrie has been a lack of cohesiveness. In this review, he acknowledges that the album is cohesive but he's still underwhelmed.
He’s a critic. I don’t have a better answer than that.

Momin

Grady Smith finally got around to acknowledging Denim and Rhinestones - but it's not pretty. Commentary begins at 14:14:

The one emerging theme from Grady that seems to carry a lot of agreement around here is the head-scratching choice of Ghost Story as the lead single. Grady called out Crazy Angels as the better choice for launching the album - both because it is so catchy and because it seems to better represent the era.
There are many comments under this video of Carrie fans saying that while the album is fun and has some great songs, it was underwhelming for them and didn't feel as impactful as her previous material. I think I have felt similarly about this album. It has some good music but I'm starting to feel a little disconnected from Carrie as an artist. I'm not saying she has to talk about her personal life but there is a big emphasis on 'acting' out characters through her songs. I don't know what it is exactly but with this album, I felt a bit disconnected from her.

It might have to do with the lead single - not because I dislike Ghost Story as a song. I enjoy listening to it. But it's very vague in its details, very general. A song with more detailed storylines and specifics, for me, would have worked better to connect to Carrie too. The lyrical content of GS is not one that tugs are my heartstrings or evokes strong emotions in me - it's just a good vocal and good production.

I also have an increasing frustration with a lack of emphasis or anecdotes on her songwriting abilities. The praise for her songwriting has not been as frequent or detailed as I, personally, would have liked. I want to feel and see her artistry more.

So while I would rate the album like 8.5/10 for feeling good while listening, for me it's a 6 when it comes to long-term impact and staying power (at least in my head). Who knows, it might change over the next few months. So far, I'm underwhelmed with this era (also with her lack of media appearances, I feel like the era is just happening in the background, not an active thought in my mind everyday).

carriefan14

Listening to the last half of that interview, you can hear that Carrie is very much in control of this album and they are letting her make her own choices. If nothing else, we should support her and this album for that! Not many artists get to this point in their careers. She also talked about “not looking at the comments” on social media and just learning to put your phone down. She said people follow you on social media who are NOT your fans and are just there to be negative.

Very refreshing.

LilUnderwood

I’ve really enjoyed this album and it does get me in a good mood! But I do wonder and I know it’s probably crazy for me to post this lol but I really wonder and hope she doesn’t take 4 years to make new music 🤪

CU4ever

I’ve really enjoyed this album and it does get me in a good mood! But I do wonder and I know it’s probably crazy for me to post this lol but I really wonder and hope she doesn’t take 4 years to make new music 🤪
I’m so glad I’m not the only one thinking about the next album/era already 🤣

CU4ever

So far, I'm underwhelmed with this era (also with her lack of media appearances, I feel like the era is just happening in the background, not an active thought in my mind everyday).
Same. I hope it’s okay for me to say this, but I feel the same way. I feel like we’ve seen so little this era and it doesn’t appear as exciting as previous ones. Idk, I sometimes feel ‘my gift’ mini era was a bigger event than this era. It’s just like, really really quiet. And it kinda has been since it started

abbeyjones18

Hey, I'm all for having and giving artists freedom (especially after a decade+ in the business), but sometimes being told "no" by the higher ups is a good thing. I kind of wish that the label did that and came in and released something other than GS. Just being honest. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Zach1998

Hey, I'm all for having and giving artists freedom (especially after a decade+ in the business), but sometimes being told "no" by the higher ups is a good thing. I kind of wish that the label did that and came in and released something other than GS. Just being honest. 🤷🏽‍♀️
Agreed. Sometimes the occasional “no” from people whose job is to know which songs should and shouldn’t work is alright.

A lot of people forgot if Sony didn’t tell Carrie “No” for “I ain’t in checotah anymore” to be a single, then we wouldn’t have one of her most signature/ iconic songs be released (Wasted.) Cause they knew it was a better choice.

carriefan14

Agreed. Sometimes the occasional “no” from people whose job is to know which songs should and shouldn’t work is alright.

A lot of people forgot if Sony didn’t tell Carrie “No” for “I ain’t in checotah anymore” to be a single, then we wouldn’t have one of her most signature/ iconic songs be released (Wasted.) Cause they knew it was a better choice.
That is true. I think there needs to be a healthy balance of label vs artist.

I don’t know. I just get a different vibe from Carrie this era, just listening to her recent interviews. She seems just relaxed and kinda resigned, like none of the chart success or any of that is important to her anymore. I’m sure being a mom and wife has a lot to do with that. I think the pandemic just brought her to a new place emotionally.

countrymusicfan15

I find it strange though that Carrie would have been the one to pick GS. It’s literally the only song on the album she’s not a co-writer for and it doesn’t exactly represent the “fun” album she made

carrietakethewheel

I want to take a moment to say that I listened to the album again while doing my Communication homework and it honestly might be my favorite album of Carrie's. I won't be attending her D&R concert next year since I'm going back to college, but I follow her on Instagram, so I can see all of the highlights on there!

"She Don't Know" is still THAT bop!

I'm gonna have to get the cassette cause I recently got an old Sony boombox that has a CD/radio/cassette combo and collect cassettes.

adam1995

Yeah, but that’s probably what Carrie left Arista over.

angeliccarrie

If the label was really against it, why would they put their money behind it? I do Agee though that there should be a balance between artist and label. Somebody should know how to pick good singles

montdu39

GS is top 7 at country radio right now. That’s pretty good. Some of the comments make it seem like it completely tanked. lol

Hopefully the second single is upbeat and revives the era! I want more press, more interviews, more Carrie everywhere!