Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie Underwood 7- Denim and Rhinestones

CarrieAddicted

As far as streaming and sales numbers go, and chart success, it looks like Republic and Interscope are the biggest labels in the US nowadays, with their artists dominating streaming platforms and charts. They’re both under UMG.

adam1995

This specific time you quoted I mentioned move up a week, read it again.
And since you suggested, but it’s none of your business, I’ve indeed worked for Sony Music in the marketing department, but I quit since my career interests changed over time.
You mentioned both June 17th (back a week) and moving it up a week for better promo (June 3rd). I read just fine.

Then if you worked in the music industry I'd say you should know better, but you still don't know UMG's plans so what I said is still valid. Maybe you're a little mad Carrie left Sony, lol.

Hil

I personally don' t get why Carrie wouldn't get the best promo, and why it's just fine with everyone that she doesn't? But i'm also not in the radio/album/artist business so I do not have any of the facts or know why labels do or don't do things.

Last edited:

adam1995

Anyway, I'm excited for the video on Friday. Hope we get to see some acrobatics from her, I'd assume we do after that CMT performance. Might wait though to see if the label did enough for video to make my final decision, lol.

CarrieAddicted

You mentioned both June 17th (back a week) and moving it up a week for better promo (June 3rd). I read just fine.

Then if you worked in the music industry I'd say you should know better, but you still don't know UMG's plans so what I said is still valid. Maybe you're a little mad Carrie left Sony, lol.
LMAO, now I’m confused. Maybe it’s because I have dyslexia, but why is June 17 “back” a week if it’s ahead of June 10? Shouldn’t it actually be “up”? LMFAO 💀
💀💀💀💀

Anyway, I did mean June 17 with better promo.

LMAO, no. I was actually happy when she left Sony, as I thought they would handle her better and treat her as a star beyond the country genre. But here we are 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Hil

adam1995

LMAO, now I’m confused. Maybe it’s because I have dyslexia, but why is June 17 “back” a week if it’s ahead of June 10? Shouldn’t it be actually “up”? LMFAO 💀
💀💀💀💀

LMAO, no. I was actually happy when she left Sony, as I thought they would handle her better and treat her as a star beyond the country genre. But here we are 🤷🏼‍♂️
Lol, I think we have different definitions of back a week and up a week. When I say move it back a week I mean move it further back on the calendar from from 10 to 17. Up a week would be sooner.

Anyway, I don’t think we’re getting anywhere with the overall conversation. We could do this all night I’m sure, but nobody else wants to read it I’m sure, lol. If it’s all the same to you, maybe we shouldn’t continue with the back and forth.

We both want success for her that’s indisputable. Sorry if I said anything upsetting, didn’t intend that at any point. Here’s to all the success she can get.

Hil

I think everyone here wants the absolute best for Carrie. Everyone brings up good discussion points. I think if any label bows to the "age discussion" with any of the biggest country stars still at the top of their game, with one of the largest fan bases then they are doing a disservice to themselves and the artist. Also, they're just helping the age narrative in country. It just seems odd to me when an artist still looks young (can't believe that has to be typed), can out perform and out sing her peers, garners huge ratings and fan support, age is even something the industry cares about. that's JMO obviously. Again, I have no idea why labels do or don't do things.

rcramer

LMAO, now I’m confused. Maybe it’s because I have dyslexia, but why is June 17 “back” a week if it’s ahead of June 10? Shouldn’t it actually be “up”? LMFAO 💀
💀💀💀💀

I found issues with Sony as well…..

CarrieAddicted

Lol, I think we have different definitions of back a week and up a week. When I say move it back a week I mean move it further back on the calendar from from 10 to 17. Up a week would be sooner.

Anyway, I don’t think we’re getting anywhere with the overall conversation. We could do this all night I’m sure, but nobody else wants to read it I’m sure, lol. If it’s all the same to you, maybe we shouldn’t continue with the back and forth.

We both want success for her that’s indisputable. Sorry if I said anything upsetting, didn’t intend that at any point. Here’s to all the success she can get.
LOL, come to think of it, I’ve seen people use your definition a lot of times. So who knows. It’s fine.

Yes, I was about to say the same thing. We’re getting no where with all this speculation and “if’s”. And there isn’t anything we can do.
I’m already super tired myself. 😂

I’m sorry, too, if I upset you. We’re passionate about Carrie in our own ways and that’s fine.
Let’s just hope for the best.

Reactions: Hil

adam1995

LOL, come to think of it, I’ve seen people use your definition a lot of times. So who knows. It’s fine.

Yes, I was about to say the same thing. We’re getting no where with all this speculation and “if’s”. And there isn’t anything we can do.
I’m already super tired myself. 😂

I’m sorry, too, if I upset you. We’re passionate about Carrie in our own ways and that’s fine.
Let’s just hope for the best.
You definitely didn’t upset me, so no worries.

PRGuy79

You’re really acting like her age isn’t a factor. You are blind if you don’t see that. It’s not fair, but there’s literally nothing any of us can do to change that. I have accepted it, if you did you’d be in a better mood.
I will not accept ageism and sexism - and nobody should. If they treated men in country music the same way when they neared 40, it would be a much easier pill to swallow (although still ageist). But they don't. This is a double standard. It may be how it is in the industry, but it doesn't make it right, and I will absolutely never accept it.

LilUnderwood

Do we know when her contract is up or how may albums she agreed to with her label? Special date or not, she should switch her label if she has the opportunity
I would be curious to know how long she signed a contract for! Idk I feel like for her having the freedom to do what she wants and go down different avenues like with Fit52 I wouldn’t be surprised if she stays.

I am curious though what would be the perfect label situation? Is it just about promo or is there more to it? Like what do y’all want her label specifically doing? Just asking a question out of curiosity.

adam1995

I will not accept ageism and sexism - and nobody should. If they treated men in country music the same way when they neared 40, it would be a much easier pill to swallow (although still ageist). But they don't. This is a double standard. It may be how it is in the industry, but it doesn't make it right, and I will absolutely never accept it.
It's not fair, but my point is you and I and nobody else can change it. It's like that old saying accept what you can't change. It is something that has to change from the inside, because no matter how much people bring it up and clearly they do it doesn't change.

Also, understand I'm not saying forget about it or be happy it exists, just know that it is unfortunately a fact and one that 100% does effect Carrie and any women in country music. You don't have to like the facts, but you do have to accept they are real.

Zach1998

I would be curious to know how long she signed a contract for! Idk I feel like for her having the freedom to do what she wants and go down different avenues like with Fit52 I wouldn’t be surprised if she stays.

I am curious though what would be the perfect label situation? Is it just about promo or is there more to it? Like what do y’all want her label specifically doing? Just asking a question out of curiosity.
Well being at a label only gives her creative freedom in the music aspect. Carrie is still free to do whatever she pleases with her life like Fit52, that has nothing to do with a label.

As weird as it is I thought Sony was a really good label, if you just add the creative aspect to it then it would be perfect imo. I moaned and groaned at them for the longest, and they are not perfect by any means, but to give credit where credit is due, the fact that they got her 25 #1 singles in 12 years, being a woman in country music, is VERY impressive. And while she was restricted, I do think that the intensity of it wasn't as drastic as some make it out to be, especially considering almost every artist is restricted with their first contract. I mean the majority of the songs she was releasing were song that she wrote. You can't tell me she was royally pissed at them for releasing songs like Something in the water, Temporary home, Little Toy Guns, etc. For certain instances, the label's expert opinion might be a good thing honestly, for Some Hearts I thought I remember reading that Carrie was pulling for "I Aint In Checotah Anymore" to be the last single, but the label went with Wasted instead. Now Carrie plays Wasted at literally every show she plays because she loves it so much and is one of the most beloved songs in her entire catalog.

I will say also I've been very impressed how Big Machine handles their promo. Carly Pearce's latest begins it's push week next week, and was very far behind, but the label is utilizing this week, the week ahead of it's push week, to close the gap between the songs, to insure it can reach it's full potential next week during push week. Not to mention they were able to help Reba get a handful of more #1's when she briefly left UMG when she was around her 50s.

For me the biggest thing is promo. Promote the songs good to radio, streaming, and promote the album, to where it can achieve as much success as possible. That's what the label's job is imo.

Last edited:

PRGuy79

Well being at a label only gives her creative freedom in the music aspect. Carrie is still free to do whatever she pleases with her life like Fit52, that has nothing to do with a label.

As weird as it is I thought Sony was a really good label, if you just add the creative aspect to it then it would be perfect imo. I moaned and groaned at them for the longest, and they are not perfect by any means, but to give credit where credit is due, the fact that they got her 25 #1 singles in 12 years, being a woman in country music, is VERY impressive. And while she was restricted, I do think that the intensity of it wasn't as drastic as some make it out to be, especially considering almost every artist is restricted with their first contract. I mean the majority of the songs she was releasing were song that she wrote. You can't tell me she was royally pissed at them for releasing songs like Something in the water, Temporary home, Little Toy Guns, etc. For certain instances, the label's expert opinion might be a good thing honestly, for Some Hearts I thought I remember reading that Carrie was pulling for "I Aint In Checotah Anymore" to be the last single, but the label went with Wasted instead. Now Carrie plays Wasted at literally every show she plays because she loves it so much and is one of the most beloved songs in her entire catalog.

I will say also I've been very impressed how Big Machine handles their promo. Carly Pearce's latest begins it's push week next week, and was very far behind, but the label is utilizing this week, the week ahead of it's push week, to close the gap between the songs, to insure it can reach it's full potential next week during push week. Not to mention they were able to help Reba get a handful of more #1's when she briefly left UMG when she was around her 50s.

For me the biggest thing is promo. Promote the songs good to radio, streaming, and promote the album, to where it can achieve as much success as possible. That's what the label's job is imo.
Yes. I understand the sexist impact that age has on radio airplay for women. But I continue to look back at the immediate change in radio's response to Carrie, all at once, after the switch from Sony to UMG. Part of that may be sexist ageism. Part of that may have been response to the music itself. Part of that may be a shift in radio dynamics. But I think the label has to assume at least part of the responsibility for the tepid response to all four Cry Pretty singles - especially knowing her string of successful songs at Sony were literally 12 years of uninterrupted #1 and #2 hits. The world was waiting for Carrie's return with Cry Pretty and the radio promotion seemed bungled. I hope they have worked it out for this roll-out so that we can chalk it up to a mere blip on the radar.

adam1995

Yes. I understand the sexist impact that age has on radio airplay for women. But I continue to look back at the immediate change in radio's response to Carrie, all at once, after the switch from Sony to UMG. Part of that may be sexist ageism. Part of that may have been response to the music itself. Part of that may be a shift in radio dynamics. But I think the label has to assume at least part of the responsibility for the tepid response to all four Cry Pretty singles - especially knowing her string of successful songs at Sony were literally 12 years of uninterrupted #1 and #2 hits. The world was waiting for Carrie's return with Cry Pretty and the radio promotion seemed bungled. I hope they have worked it out for this roll-out so that we can chalk it up to a mere blip on the radar.
Cry Pretty had a record or near record launch at radio, but weren't the call out scores not the greatest? I know other songs with crappy callouts make it up the chart, but many don't and CP may have been one of those victims. After that I just don't think LW was a a good choice at all.

PRGuy79

Cry Pretty had a record or near record launch at radio, but weren't the call out scores not the greatest? I know other songs with crappy callouts make it up the chart, but many don't and CP may have been one of those victims. After that I just don't think LW was a a good choice at all.
Perhaps not. But shouldn't the label be a significant player in the choice and timing of singles? I'm a big advocate for Carrie's creative freedom, but the label should be responsible, at least in part, for selecting the right song, at the right time, to promote the album across all platforms. With Sony, the choice and timing were well-received 25 times in a row.