Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie Underwood.....Greatest Hits: Decade #1 ERA

teesharky

^ I love Mark Bright- and feel he has done some superb work for Carrie. But- I am always ready for Carrie to try something new, like she did with her video producers.

Someday I would love for Carrie to use the Dixie Chicks producer- just once- to see what would happen.

PNGcarriefan95

Okay, I'm starting to think that this album will be more rock-leaning. Maybe not "rock" in the sense of heavy metal, but more Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt type rock, because they both can do rock and country. I think maybe doing the RRHOF gig really opened Carrie's eyes to a whole other level of artistry she can go. For a couple of years now, I do think Carrie has held back exploring this side of her, which I think is more "her", because people have always said she's not country, or she if she were country she wouldn't be singing rock songs. I'm starting to believe that Carrie is more suited to country-rock crossover success than just traditional country like Loretta Lynn, or country-pop like Dolly Parton. That's just who she is. She has country roots and a deep love and knowledge of the genre's history, but she also has a deep appreciation for the rock genre and I think she should be allowed to explore both sides of her.
Plus I feel like, the Rock&Roll genre has kind of accepted Carrie. She already has worked or performed with and been praised by legends like The Rolling Stones, Stevie Nicks, Heart, Bonnie Raitt, Lindsey Buckingham, Sebastian Bach, Dave Grohl, Aerosmith and how many others. She impressed Don Henley with her performance of Desperado at the Grammys. Like Melissa Etheridge said, Carrie could crossover today and she'd be a superstar in Rock music. I have no doubt in my mind that some of the Rock legends have probably tried to talk her into recording a rock album or switching genres.
I see this album as being a release for Carrie; her doing what style of music she really wants to do and not really caring now about getting "validation" from the CMAs or ACMs.

Farawayhills

^ I love Mark Bright- and feel he has done some superb work for Carrie. But- I am always ready for Carrie to try something new, like she did with her video producers.

Someday I would love for Carrie to use the Dixie Chicks producer- just once- to see what would happen.

The Dixie Chicks' two Mainstream Nashville albums were produced by Blake Chancey and Paul Worley. These are established Nashville names, with a lot of production and artist development experience - but neither has stayed with Sony. Worley is best known today for his work with Lady Antebellum . Chancey leans a little more "deep genre". I think he's worked since with Gretchen Wilson and Kellie Pickler.

After those two albums, the Chicks left Nashville, to co-produce their next one themselves with Lloyd Maines, made in Willie Nelson's studio near Austin, and appropriately titled "Home". Because of their then popularity, Nashville accepted this - though it certainly cost them industry support - and I'd see that as a risky move (as well as unlikely) in Carrie's case.

For their only album after their politically charged "Incident", the Chicks worked with Rick Rubin in California, who has had a choppy relationship with Sony over recent years. He is regarded with considerable respect in the recording business, and has a reputation for bringing out new strands of influence in artists. I have mixed feelings about his work - and, to my ears, the mainly Alternative Country artists he's produced (the Jayhawks, Johnny Cash, the Dixie Chicks, the Avett Brothers) tend to sound less Country under his influence. I think the Band Perry recently worked with him, and said they learnt a lot - but decided to terminate the experiment without converting it into an album.

(On the more general question of Jay Joyce - who is both a producer and a session musician - the phrase "working with him on new music" need not imply at all that Carrie is moving away from Mark Bright. It's certainly interesting - but we'd need more details before forming any conclusions about how big or small a role Jay might play.)

teesharky

If it has a Linda Or Emmy vibe or even Sheryl Crow that is fine by me. She did day there are really good story songs on there so don't worry: if is not going to be a " beat driven" pop mess. I bet it is a good blend of rock and country.

teesharky

The Dixie Chicks' two Mainstream Nashville albums were produced by Blake Chancey and Paul Worley. These are established Nashville names, with a lot of production and artist development experience - but neither has stayed with Sony. Worley is best known today for his work with Lady Antebellum . Chancey leans a little more "deep genre". I think he's worked since with Gretchen Wilson and Kellie Pickler.

After those two albums, the Chicks left Nashville, to co-produce their next one themselves with Lloyd Maines, made in Willie Nelson's studio near Austin, and appropriately titled "Home". Because of their then popularity, Nashville accepted this - though it certainly cost them industry support - and I'd see that as a risky move (as well as unlikely) in Carrie's case.

For their only album after their politically charged "Incident", the Chicks worked with Rick Rubin in California, who has had a choppy relationship with Sony over recent years. He is regarded with considerable respect in the recording business, and has a reputation for bringing out new strands of influence in artists. I have mixed feelings about his work - and, to my ears, the mainly Alternative Country artists he's produced (the Jayhawks, Johnny Cash, the Dixie Chicks, the Avett Brothers) tend to sound less Country under his influence. I think the Band Perry recently worked with him, and said they learnt a lot - but decided to terminate the experiment without converting it into an album.

(On the more general question of Jay Joyce - who is both a producer and a session musician - the phrase "working with him on new music" need not imply at all that Carrie is moving away from Mark Bright. It's certainly interesting - but we'd need more details before forming any conclusions about how big or small a role Jay might play.)

tx for that info! I did not realize that the Band Perry scrapped their album with Rubin. I heard they were working with him. Interesting.

yes you are right that Jay Joyce might just be doing a song or two on the album. Max Martin produced just Quitter.

either way it is cool to speculate. Dying for some news.

Farawayhills

Okay, I'm starting to think that this album will be more rock-leaning. Maybe not "rock" in the sense of heavy metal, but more Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt type rock, because they both can do rock and country. I think maybe doing the RRHOF gig really opened Carrie's eyes to a whole other level of artistry she can go. For a couple of years now, I do think Carrie has held back exploring this side of her, which I think is more "her", because people have always said she's not country, or she if she were country she wouldn't be singing rock songs. I'm starting to believe that Carrie is more suited to country-rock crossover success than just traditional country like Loretta Lynn, or country-pop like Dolly Parton. That's just who she is. She has country roots and a deep love and knowledge of the genre's history, but she also has a deep appreciation for the rock genre and I think she should be allowed to explore both sides of her.
Plus I feel like, the Rock&Roll genre has kind of accepted Carrie. She already has worked or performed with and been praised by legends like The Rolling Stones, Stevie Nicks, Heart, Bonnie Raitt, Lindsey Buckingham, Sebastian Bach, Dave Grohl, Aerosmith and how many others. She impressed Don Henley with her performance of Desperado at the Grammys. Like Melissa Etheridge said, Carrie could crossover today and she'd be a superstar in Rock music. I have no doubt in my mind that some of the Rock legends have probably tried to talk her into recording a rock album or switching genres.
I see this album as being a release for Carrie; her doing what style of music she really wants to do and not really caring now about getting "validation" from the CMAs or ACMs.

I'm all for Carrie incorporating more Roots Rock.

I'd point out, though, that if a Country artist incorporates Rock in her work, it doesn't involve "switching genres". Country and Rock music share a common heritage and have always cross-fertilized each other stylistically. People like Ronstadt and Henley have always been stylistically as much Country as Rock. Today, both the Mainstream and Alternative wings of Country are incorporating a particularly high element of Rock influence - and the critical and industry attention currently given to people like Church and Zac Brown suggest that Carrie would, if anything, benefit from that.

It would tie in with what both Carrie and the Jackie Boyz said - that the music will feel different, but it will remain true to what Carrie has always done.

To give a vague idea of the general possibilities, this is the Jay Joyce produced "Six White Cadillacs"

PNGcarriefan95

^Oh yes, I agree with you that Carrie wouldn't really be switching genres or anything. I guess I'm just a little bit angsty because I feel frustrated that some critics just don't see the potential and capability Carrie has to be able to do both Country and Rock properly. I feel like there are just so many mainstream country artists nowadays incorporating rock elements into their music that everyone kind of gets glossed over with the same paintbrush as "trying" to be rock when they're not. Above just incorporating rock influences, I feel that Carrie is by far the mainstream Country artist who could successfully straddle Country and Rock, much like Linda Ronstadt. I just think she is very comfortable and authentic doing both. I showed a couple of Rock only listening friends videos of Carrie singing during the RRHOF, and they were really impressed by that, as well as Carrie's knowledge about rock music and its different subgenres and sounds.
I just hope if this is the direction she takes with this album, that critics won't say "oh, she's not country, she never was" or something like that.
And I really like that Emmylou Harris song. She's still got it!

jptexas

I would love to hear a completely Mark Bright free Carrie album.

That would be a different sound alright. Of course, Dan Huff did produce half of Some Hearts, so that's a taste of what a Mark Brightless album sounds like. I think she's too loyal as far as producers go, although others have and will contribute in this album IMO. Like I said before, when she says "different sound", I'm thinking more vocals up front, less music in the background instead of changing things up totally. But, I could be wrong.

carebearcarrie

Carrie to work on new album??!!

That would be a different sound alright. Of course, Dan Huff did produce half of Some Hearts, so that's a taste of what a Mark Brightless album sounds like. I think she's too loyal as far as producers go, although others have and will contribute in this album IMO. Like I said before, when she says "different sound", I'm thinking more vocals up front, less music in the background instead of changing things up totally. But, I could be wrong.

Dan did some greats work. Lessons learned, whenever you remember. I'm not sure what others he did. he is very good IMO.

julesb2183

I am a little confused about Kelly's next album. She told reporters that she would never do a full on country album, but just continue to dabble in it. Did she change her mind or something? Is her next album country or pop?
Kelly always does every genre. Her CDs rarely have a certain sound/genre. So, who knows? LOL.

mtreasmith

^Oh yes, I agree with you that Carrie wouldn't really be switching genres or anything. I guess I'm just a little bit angsty because I feel frustrated that some critics just don't see the potential and capability Carrie has to be able to do both Country and Rock properly. I feel like there are just so many mainstream country artists nowadays incorporating rock elements into their music that everyone kind of gets glossed over with the same paintbrush as "trying" to be rock when they're not. Above just incorporating rock influences, I feel that Carrie is by far the mainstream Country artist who could successfully straddle Country and Rock, much like Linda Ronstadt. I just think she is very comfortable and authentic doing both. I showed a couple of Rock only listening friends videos of Carrie singing during the RRHOF, and they were really impressed by that, as well as Carrie's knowledge about rock music and its different subgenres and sounds.
I just hope if this is the direction she takes with this album, that critics won't say "oh, she's not country, she never was" or something like that.
And I really like that Emmylou Harris song. She's still got it!

at this point... i don't think Carrie gives a damn what the critics say anymore. All she cares about is what the fans think / say. : ) All Carrie wants to do is sing. Thats what makes her heart happy and thats what makes us Carrie Fans happy : D