Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Denim and Rhinestone Tour

suzi_lou

Review: Carrie Underwood rocks Target Center but insists that she's still country​

There was a lot of vocal overkill but still satisfying nuances from the queen of modern country music.
By Jon Bream Star Tribune

OCTOBER 25, 2022 — 10:48PM

GALLERY

GRID

https://www.startribune.com/review-...t-insists-that-shes-still-country/600219053/#
1/20
https://www.startribune.com/review-...t-insists-that-shes-still-country/600219053/#
Carrie Underwood performed Tuesday at Target Center on her Denim & Rhinestones tour.

JEFF WHEELER, STAR TRIBUNE

Gallery: Carrie Underwood performed Tuesday at Target Center on her Denim & Rhinestones tour.
"In case you don't know it, we're at a country music concert," Carrie Underwood, the uncrowned queen of modern country, declared a half-hour into her performance Tuesday night at Target Center.
Gosh, darn, could have fooled me. After power rockers and power ballads, it felt like over-shrill. Like the "American Idol"-turned-Nashville sweetheart had transformed into a screaming rock 'n' roll vixen auditioning for a Guns N' Roses tribute band.
Then, finally, for her eighth song, Underwood pointed out that her band was so country that they have two fiddlers. Moreover, she said she brought out some country props (her words), specifically a cowgirl hat, a long coat with long fringe and a glass of red wine. And she explained that she thought of Dolly Parton and "Jolene" when she wrote the next song.
Well, I'll be if "She Don't Know" wasn't a perfect Dollyesque tune, a dark, bluegrassy grumble about the other woman who will end up burned by him just like she was. I guess Underwood is still country. She proved it again later on the acoustic selection "Garden," a pretty ballad about being kind, as in "you reap what you sow, what kind of garden would you grow."
Those two new numbers are from this year's "Denim & Rhinestones" album, which mostly suggests that Underwood now yearns to be Shania Twain, not Axl Rose. Maybe that explains why the album hasn't been her usual bestseller and why Target Center's upper level was half-full on a school night.
About a third of Tuesday's show was devoted to material from the new album. And Underwood's staging reflected the Denim & Rhinestones Tour theme, with diamond shapes on the stage and runway as well as a succession of outfits dripping in rhinestones.
The 110-minute presentation allowed the country superstar to prove that she's more than a volcanic vocalist, sparkly fashionista and spectacle-loving performer. The vocal gymnast is apparently an aspiring gymnast of another sort. She rode on a swing over the crowd to a satellite stage (during "Ghost Story") and returned later (during "Crazy Angels") via a globe-like cage, straddling the frame like an aerial acrobat. Not to worry. Underwood would not be mistaken for the derring-do of Pink, pop's ultimate aerial daredevil who does somersaults over the crowd while singing.
To be sure, the evening wasn't all vocal overkill. Underwood showcased nuanced singing on the gospely medley of "Jesus, Take the Wheel," her 2005 breakthrough hit, and the hymn "How Great Thou Art." And the tune "Denim & Rhinestones," featuring opening act Jimmie Allen singing and dancing with Underwood, was relatively subdued.
But the 39-year-old Oklahoman will rock you. She banged the drums on the rip-roaring new piece "Poor Everybody Else," belted the ebullient strut "Last Name" and shrieked the ultimate penultimate piece, Guns N' Roses' "Welcome to the Jungle."
Allen, a late starter who is only two years younger than Underwood, showed why he is the reigning CMA best new artist. Apparently thinking this was the lamé-and-rhinestones tour, the colorful Delaware native demonstrated a stand-out stage manner, dancing like Michael Jackson (spins and a sideways moonwalk), autographing his tank top before tossing it into the crowd and sharing details about his two days in Minneapolis (he went to the Timberwolves game and declared that they sadly played like a high school team, and he had his baby's wagon stolen by a homeless man from outside his tour bus but got it back and donated money to the man). Allen manifested an appealing voice but his presence was stronger than his songs.

Jon Bream has been a music critic at the Star Tribune since 1975, making him the longest tenured pop critic at a U.S. daily newspaper. He has attended more than 8,000 concerts and written four books (on Prince, Led Zeppelin, Neil Diamond and Bob Dylan). Thus far, he has ignored readers’ suggestions that he take a music-appreciation class.

jon.bream@startribune.com 612-673-1719 jonbream

jimshoe

Never cared for Jon Bream so I'm surprised by his stupid 'review'.... Vocal overkill? What does that even mean, showing you can hit a high note!-)

I was at the concert and it was awesome! Loved the slower songs she did on the smaller stage and I love that Garden made the setlist! Energy was great, voice was great, she looked great... everything was great!!!!!!

txacar

Review: Carrie Underwood rocks Target Center but insists that she's still country​

There was a lot of vocal overkill but still satisfying nuances from the queen of modern country music.

GALLERY
GRID
1/20
Carrie Underwood performed Tuesday at Target Center on her Denim & Rhinestones tour.

Gallery: Carrie Underwood performed Tuesday at Target Center on her Denim & Rhinestones tour.
"In case you don't know it, we're at a country music concert," Carrie Underwood, the uncrowned queen of modern country, declared a half-hour into her performance Tuesday night at Target Center.
Gosh, darn, could have fooled me. After power rockers and power ballads, it felt like over-shrill. Like the "American Idol"-turned-Nashville sweetheart had transformed into a screaming rock 'n' roll vixen auditioning for a Guns N' Roses tribute band.
Then, finally, for her eighth song, Underwood pointed out that her band was so country that they have two fiddlers. Moreover, she said she brought out some country props (her words), specifically a cowgirl hat, a long coat with long fringe and a glass of red wine. And she explained that she thought of Dolly Parton and "Jolene" when she wrote the next song.
Well, I'll be if "She Don't Know" wasn't a perfect Dollyesque tune, a dark, bluegrassy grumble about the other woman who will end up burned by him just like she was. I guess Underwood is still country. She proved it again later on the acoustic selection "Garden," a pretty ballad about being kind, as in "you reap what you sow, what kind of garden would you grow."
Those two new numbers are from this year's "Denim & Rhinestones" album, which mostly suggests that Underwood now yearns to be Shania Twain, not Axl Rose. Maybe that explains why the album hasn't been her usual bestseller and why Target Center's upper level was half-full on a school night.
About a third of Tuesday's show was devoted to material from the new album. And Underwood's staging reflected the Denim & Rhinestones Tour theme, with diamond shapes on the stage and runway as well as a succession of outfits dripping in rhinestones.
The 110-minute presentation allowed the country superstar to prove that she's more than a volcanic vocalist, sparkly fashionista and spectacle-loving performer. The vocal gymnast is apparently an aspiring gymnast of another sort. She rode on a swing over the crowd to a satellite stage (during "Ghost Story") and returned later (during "Crazy Angels") via a globe-like cage, straddling the frame like an aerial acrobat. Not to worry. Underwood would not be mistaken for the derring-do of Pink, pop's ultimate aerial daredevil who does somersaults over the crowd while singing.
To be sure, the evening wasn't all vocal overkill. Underwood showcased nuanced singing on the gospely medley of "Jesus, Take the Wheel," her 2005 breakthrough hit, and the hymn "How Great Thou Art." And the tune "Denim & Rhinestones," featuring opening act Jimmie Allen singing and dancing with Underwood, was relatively subdued.
But the 39-year-old Oklahoman will rock you. She banged the drums on the rip-roaring new piece "Poor Everybody Else," belted the ebullient strut "Last Name" and shrieked the ultimate penultimate piece, Guns N' Roses' "Welcome to the Jungle."
Allen, a late starter who is only two years younger than Underwood, showed why he is the reigning CMA best new artist. Apparently thinking this was the lamé-and-rhinestones tour, the colorful Delaware native demonstrated a stand-out stage manner, dancing like Michael Jackson (spins and a sideways moonwalk), autographing his tank top before tossing it into the crowd and sharing details about his two days in Minneapolis (he went to the Timberwolves game and declared that they sadly played like a high school team, and he had his baby's wagon stolen by a homeless man from outside his tour bus but got it back and donated money to the man). Allen manifested an appealing voice but his presence was stronger than his songs.

Jon Bream has been a music critic at the Star Tribune since 1975, making him the longest tenured pop critic at a U.S. daily newspaper. He has attended more than 8,000 concerts and written four books (on Prince, Led Zeppelin, Neil Diamond and Bob Dylan). Thus far, he has ignored readers’ suggestions that he take a music-appreciation class.

There we have it!! Wondered when a grouch would appear. Fortunately, I don't put much credence in sarcastic reviews. Absolutely nothing constructive in his criticism. As for Pink, we all know and appreciate what she does. His comparison is a bit off base. Carrie's aerial performance might appear less sophisticated and daring, but she does it with one hand 😂.

Smokyiiis

GALLERY
GRID
1/20

Wow, a bit sorry I asked for this..... I'll stick with the review I posted for this venue. LOL

Zach1998

meh these reviews from these "professionals" are starting to lose credibility to me the more I see. When you already don't like a person going in, then there's nothing you can do to change that. Making these silly reviews meaningless.

adam1995

She seems to be doing damn well with sales from quick looks at the shows. My show, Pittsburgh really only has upper sections left and the shows in the end of February. One show in a small arena isn't going to make or break her by any means.

sco

She seems to be doing damn well with sales from quick looks at the shows. My show, Pittsburgh really only has upper sections left and the shows in the end of February. One show in a small arena isn't going to make or break her by any means.
My guess is the contracts with the arenas have guarantees that protect them to the point they at least break even. It wouldn't make sense to book a small arena like that without that protection.

Zach1998

I wouldn't sweat this one tour stop. All the others look like their doing/have done well. She should just not do a tour stop here next time, and replace it with the other location she did in the same state during last tour, that did do well. All the pictures I'm seeing from last night are really dark so you can't really see the audience that well, so nobody will probably even know last night didn't do as well.

Smokyiiis

Oct. 28—GRAND FORKS — A Carrie Underwood concert consists of glitz, glam and country rock grit. The country music star brought all that, plus fireworks, to Grand Forks as she put on a bright, flashy and stylish show for a crowd of approximately 13,000 at the Alerus Center on Thursday, Oct. 27.

Underwood rose above the stage floor singing the 2012 hit "Good Girl" around 8:45 p.m., filling the stadium with her larger-than-life voice and promising the audience a good time.

"Grand Forks, how y'all doing?" she asked a few songs in. "I hope you're ready to have a good time tonight because that's what we're going to do."

The Grand Forks show was an early stop in her "Denim & Rhinestones Tour," which kicked off Oct. 15 in Greenville, South Carolina.

Underwood is an eight-time Grammy Award winner and has been named Academy of Country Music "Entertainer of the Year" three times. Since winning the fourth season of "American Idol" in 2005, she has gone on to release nine studio albums. She has released 28 No. 1 singles, 14 of which she co-wrote.

Her most recent album, "Denim & Rhinestones," was released in June.

Deb and Rick Lee drove from Adams, North Dakota, after work to see Underwood play. Deb Lee said she has been a fan of Underwood since she won American Idol, but it was the first time she'd seen her in concert.

"It used to be that the older country singers were kind of twangy, but she's more country rock," she said. "I like her glitz and glitter."

The crowd grew as Jimmie Allen, a rising star in country music opened the concert. Allen, nominated for Best New Artist at the 2022 Grammy Awards, played a mix of original songs and country music favorites.

By the time Underwood started her set, most of the seats and much of the floor in the stadium had filled in.

The momentum of her energetic opening song carried through her set. As a fun reminder that the night would feature a heavy dose of country music, she at one point greeted the audience with a "howdy" and pointed out the two fiddlers accompanying her on stage.

"Do you say 'howdy' up here?" Underwood asked the crowd. "You do now."

Between high-energy songs, she shared a quieter moment with the audience on a separate, smaller stage in the middle of the stadium, to which she floated above the audience on a swing.

"I wanted to make sure everybody got a front-row seat at some point during the show," she said.

There, she sang her new song "Garden" and then "Jesus Take The Wheel," followed by the hymn "How Great Thou Art."

Underwood returned to the main stage, again flying above the audience accompanied by neon angel wings during the song "Crazy Angels." Allen then joined Underwood on stage to help her sing her new album's title track "Denim & Rhinestones."

After more than 20 songs and five wardrobe changes, Underwood ended her show on a rock note, covering Guns N' Roses' "Welcome to the Jungle" and closing with her biggest hit, "Before He Cheats."

adam1995

Oct. 28—GRAND FORKS — A Carrie Underwood concert consists of glitz, glam and country rock grit. The country music star brought all that, plus fireworks, to Grand Forks as she put on a bright, flashy and stylish show for a crowd of approximately 13,000 at the Alerus Center on Thursday, Oct. 27.
Sounds like a lot of people, lol.