Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DYTAM listed on Wikipedia as next single.

liveasong

tumblr_m9g23lolLB1r8u9u2o2_1280.jpg

Schrodinger

A lot of what you are saying, I'm okay with. But just do not use Romans 1:29-31 to back up your point. Romans 1:18-31 is NOT talking about Christians, it is talking about humanity.

Romans 1 has a much broader context. Don't take my word for it. Do you own exegesis or read some biblically-sound commentaries.

Let's get back to talking about the subject at hand and forego the scripture discussions.

You mean someone like my favorite Pauline scholar, F.F. Bruce, of which I have read almost all his work. But yes I agree it is time to move on.

Schrodinger

I think we can all agree on one thing, the whole sex issue will be a non issue if DYTAM is released as a single. Still not crazy about the song musically, but given Carrie sings it, Hillary Lindsey wrote it and Arista will have the demographics, I'm not remotely qualified to dispute the decision. And I will back it to the hilt, voting, requesting etc.

HuiZ

I just came into this thread for the first time, as I was wondering, why is there 9 pages of active discussion about the sweet, happy and unpolarizing DYTAM?

LOL, obviously, I still don't know CF well enough :p

carebear4eva

A lot of what you are saying, I'm okay with. But just do not use Romans 1:29-31 to back up your point. Romans 1:18-31 is NOT talking about Christians, it is talking about humanity.

Romans 1 has a much broader context. Don't take my word for it. Do you own exegesis or read some biblically-sound commentaries.

Let's get back to talking about the subject at hand and forego the scripture discussions.

Bemusing...

Pi314CA

Bemusing...

Don't know if this will help... but here is a concise explanation of this passage, Romans 1:18-32, in context.

This passage is speaking about Human Depravity

v. 18 In this context God's wrath is His abandonment of the wicked to their sins.
v. 19-20 We see that creation bears clear witness to its Maker, the evidence is "plain to them.
v. 21-23 Despite having knowledge of God through creation mankind fails today and failed in the first century to act on this understanding.
v. 24-25 "...God gave them over..." Idolatry. "God took his hands off and let willful rejection produce ugly results in human life."
v. 26-27 "God gave them over..." this time to the emphasis is perversion in sexual relations.
v. 28-32 Nothing good described here of the depraved person without God through Jesus.

To really glean a fuller understanding of this passage, the Christian needs to use other Scripture and the Holy Spirit for illumination. For the non-Christian, this is probably "foolishness".

Okay, bible study over. Sorry for the OT post.

kiwigirl

Sorry but can we get back on track here - I now see TBC as the third single - Me thinks someone is messing with us

Farawayhills

Getting back to the song's general qualities, I'd describe it as bittersweet, rather than sweet, and nostalgic and questioning, rather than happy. It's two main themes, as I see it, are looking back to remembrance of a lost time of intense but uncomplicated happiness, together with a "what if..." element, wondering whether the other party also looks back on those times with affection. I agree with Schrodinger in linking it to "American Honey" (another song which Hillary co-wrote), but I do think that "American Honey" comes out as the stronger song, with more memorable imagery and a more generalized and striking sense of the passage of time in the character's life and the importance of her roots.
In the case of DYTAM, the strongest imagery for me comes in the lines "you were the blanket holding me tight", and "I met a boy a lot like you. It's funny how he used to sing it too. But he was always a little outta key." Those are interesting and believable images - but, for the rest, I find the song has rather too little to offer to make it memorable.
I understand the argument that Carrie will benefit from releasing a lighter song to balance the vocal challenges and more intense themes of the first two singles - but my fear is that this one is a little too light to fulfill the promise of the "new level" BA era. Obviously, I'll back it, if it is released, but my feeling is that the most we could hope from this song is that it would be a "holding exercise" rather than one that would extend Carrie's, or the album's wider reputation.

Pitocco

Interesting, not only is it now showing TBC as the next single, but there is actually a release date as well:
Untitled-1.jpg
The date seems to be accurate given when BA is expected to peak. Does Carrie's team edit the WIKI page or just fans? Thoughts?

gocountrymusic

^^Lol sounds like some people there are some people just having fun TBC. The timing is actually pretty early for any 3rd single. Blown Away probably won't even be number 1 by that week.
On the topic of DYTAM, I never thought that this would be a polarizing song lol. I can understand Undo It, Mama's Song, even Good Girl for traditionalists, but not DYTAM.

carebear4eva

^^Lol sounds like some people there are some people just having fun TBC. The timing is actually pretty early for any 3rd single. Blown Away probably won't even be number 1 by that week.
On the topic of DYTAM, I never thought that this would be a polarizing song lol. I can understand Undo It, Mama's Song, even Good Girl for traditionalists, but not DYTAM.

But Carrie is singing about having sex outside of wedlock! OMMGGG!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Farawayhills

The possibility of a "polarizing" reaction developing did occur to me before in relation to those opening lines - which was why I asked Oneal to enlarge a bit on the reaction he/she had discussed with friends in Nashville. Oneal felt that, although the implication had been noticed by some others in the industry, there didn't seem to be a likelihood of that being an issue with the general listening public,or radio.
I would guess that, if there is an issue, though, it might be taken up by some of the people who attacked Carrie's view on marriage equality. Although some of those were objecting on grounds of a different interpretation of Scripture, there were also signs that others were linked to websites with a political agenda. There are two aspects to this connection - one is that social conservatism on questions of sexual morality is used as a keystone issue for rallying support in "culture war" politics; the other is that some on the political Right would like to cast Mainstream Country Music as a "politically correct" channel for their views, reflecting traditional values and counter-balancing what is seen as suspect in other parts of the entertainment spectrum. Even though people here don't see any part of the song as polarizing, I don't discount the possibility that some interested parties might try to make it so.

For my part, I support songs which reflect life and emotions in all their variety. I see nothing wrong with the principle of an artist exploring themes that might be seen as polarizing by some. If that does happen though, I'd rather it be with a stronger song and a deeper meaning. I can't help thinking that, catchy and evocative though it may be, DYTAM is a rather lightweight vessel to steer onto the rocks of controversy

Schrodinger

Interesting, not only is it now showing TBC as the next single, but there is actually a release date as well:
View attachment 29061
The date seems to be accurate given when BA is expected to peak. Does Carrie's team edit the WIKI page or just fans? Thoughts?

Carrie thinks Wikipedia is a joke. Did you see the press conference with Carrie and Brad about their upcoming hosting of the CMAs. She said according to Wikipedia, she's been born in a barn, had an extra sibling, been Scottish, Irish, Native American yadayada. Brad said they even got his middle name wrong. I could go on there right now and change the song to NETY just to watch carebear4eva freak out. Not that I would, of course. :rolleyes:

Burst

The more we look, the more things it'll change to. Eventually it'll say the next single is Oklahoma Wind or something.

Schrodinger

The possibility of a "polarizing" reaction developing did occur to me before in relation to those opening lines - which was why I asked Oneal to enlarge a bit on the reaction he/she had discussed with friends in Nashville. Oneal felt that, although the implication had been noticed by some others in the industry, there didn't seem to be a likelihood of that being an issue with the general listening public,or radio.
I would guess that, if there is an issue, though, it might be taken up by some of the people who attacked Carrie's view on marriage equality. Although some of those were objecting on grounds of a different interpretation of Scripture, there were also signs that others were linked to websites with a political agenda. There are two aspects to this connection - one is that social conservatism on questions of sexual morality is used as a keystone issue for rallying support in "culture war" politics; the other is that some on the political Right would like to cast Mainstream Country Music as a "politically correct" channel for their views, reflecting traditional values and counter-balancing what is seen as suspect in other parts of the entertainment spectrum. Even though people here don't see any part of the song as polarizing, I don't discount the possibility that some interested parties might try to make it so.

For my part, I support songs which reflect life and emotions in all their variety. I see nothing wrong with the principle of an artist exploring themes that might be seen as polarizing by some. If that does happen though, I'd rather it be with a stronger song and a deeper meaning. I can't help thinking that, catchy and evocative though it may be, DYTAM is a rather lightweight vessel to steer onto the rocks of controversy

Excellent analysis, I just can't believe that DYTAM will be nearly as polarizing as LN BHC, GG. I don't remember Strawberry Wine or Garth's "That Summer" which is about an older woman seducing a teenager. If you don't remember the lyrics here is the first part of the song:

I went to work for her that summer
A teenage kid so far from home
She was a lonely widow woman
Hell bent to make it on her own
We were a thousand miles from nowhere
Wheat fields as far as I could see
Both needing something from each other
Not knowing yet what that might be
'Til she came to me one evening
Hot cup of coffee and a smile
In a dress that I was certain

She hadn't worn in quite a while