Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DYTAM listed on Wikipedia as next single.

PRGuy79

While that may be true, I dont think so. If makes it seem like its their first time (you said we dont have to i said I will) together and I would hope that wouldnt be the case if they were already married lmao

Well, I CHOOSE to think they are married when I listen to the song. And that is the beauty of songs and lyrics. They are open to interpretation. And I would encourage the Carrie Fan who has the problem with the unmarried analogy to choose to think of it that way, too. It is a shame that we have to assume the negative. Let's assume the positive. It is a beautiful song with a beautiful vocal performance.

thunder92

Well, I CHOOSE to think they are married when I listen to the song. And that is the beauty of songs and lyrics. They are open to interpretation. And I would encourage the Carrie Fan who has the problem with the unmarried analogy to choose to think of it that way, too. It is a shame that we have to assume the negative. Let's assume the positive. It is a beautiful song with a beautiful vocal performance.

I never said you couldnt take it that way so I dont know why you used caps lol

Oneal

Actually, from the general views on the issue that you expressed, I didn't assume that you would think it OK for the man - what worries me though is that, as you say, you said nothing about the man until pressed on it. Although the woman is the narrator, she refers constantly in the song to the man as "you", making the song fundamentally about them both. By focusing on the female character's role in the song as bragging, trashy, sleazy, and whorish, the argument comes across as a sexist one (which presumably wasn't your intention) rather than as expressing a moral view (which presumably was your intention). Sexism (even if unintentional) both complicates and weakens the moral argument. Why does the word "whorish" even come into the moral argument, when there seems to be no direct word for the male equivalent?

On the underlying moral issue, I would think it likely (from what you've said) that you, I, and Carrie all broadly agree on the way we'd strive to act in our own lives. But I feel (and, presumably, Carrie might too) that that is a separate matter from the songs we choose. I would argue that Country Music (in particular) includes a large element of songs about sexual encounters, revenge, drink, drugs, offensive language, and that it has never reflected a particular moral stance or a particular view of praiseworthy behaviour. To quote Carrie, it often "gives you chills".
But I'm more used to the Roots scene, and Carrie has to operate in the Mainstream. The Mainstream, I think most would agree, does have a significant socially conservative audience. I'd therefore ask, firstly, do you think the opinion you've expressed about this song would be a widespread one; and secondly, do you see Carrie's preferred role as concentrating on songs that deliver a message that corresponds to your views?

I think it's obvious I'm not a fan of the message the song portrays. That goes for the Man and the Woman. Here in Tennessee, Men are referred to as Male whores, so I guess my use of that word was for the song as a whole but I was definitely pointing out the woman since a woman is singing the song.

As far as my opinion on this song being a widespread one....no it's apparent I'm the only one here that feels this way but I am not the only person to express this view. I have had this conversation with other people, in fact the reason I posted it here is because someone else made the comment and I happened to agree so I thought I'd throw it out here and see what happened. I don't expect Carrie to sing songs that deliver messages I agree with. I won't judge her based on that either. This is just one person's interpretation of one song and as I said earlier, I don't turn the song off because of it.

Schrodinger

Wait a minute. Romans 1:29-31 is not talking about Christians! Do not take that passage out of context. The beginning of this passage is Romans 1:18, and thus is talking about people who suppress the truth by their wickedness.

The "log in the eye" is a reminder to first evaluate oneself in an honest, sober fashion, and thus have a more proper biblical perspective when talking/evaluating others.

No it is not, but it is talking about sin. What I said was that Christians pick and choose what sins they want to attack and ignore the rest. I never said the passage is talking about Christians.I have been a Christian and in the Word for a long time, I think I can use proper exegesis. What Paul is setting up his statement in Rom 3:23. This is the bad news. You can't have the good news unless you have the bad first. Then we get to Rom 8:1-4.

The point is that Rom 1 contains a laundry list of actives God condemns as sin. I don't know about you, but while sexual sin is roundly condemned by Evangelicals, I have been in Christian fellowships long enough to know the number one sin committed is gossip, yet that goes unchallenged. That's my point.

As for the log in ones eye---exactly my point.

PRGuy79

And furthermore...Maybe when she says, "you said we don't have to, I said I will...", she was referring to a first kiss. I know that seems really innocent and Pollyanna - straight out of a Mayberry RFD world, but I don't think we have to assume they "went all the way", for pete's sake. This is a light-hearted song that reminds me of a simpler time. They kissed! A first kiss! Don't make it dirty, please! I love this song.

NC State Carrie Fan

Well yes certain sins are more attacked than others because they cause more of a consequence but I cant speak for other churches but my church we are told gossiping is a sin, now im sure people still do it but its not like those sins go unwarned and you shouldnt need that sin to me condemned by Evangelicals or your pastor you should know for yourself which im sure you do and not worry about what everyone else is saying or doing

Oneal

And furthermore...Maybe when she says, "you said we don't have to, I said I will...", she was referring to a first kiss. I know that seems really innocent and Pollyanna - straight out of a Mayberry RFD world, but I don't think we have to assume they "went all the way", for pete's sake. This is a light-hearted song that reminds me of a simpler time. They kissed! A first kiss! Don't make it dirty, please! I love this song.

You are free to interpret it anyway you want to.

Farawayhills

I think it's obvious I'm not a fan of the message the song portrays. That goes for the Man and the Woman. Here in Tennessee, Men are referred to as Male whores, so I guess my use of that word was for the song as a whole but I was definitely pointing out the woman since a woman is singing the song.

As far as my opinion on this song being a widespread one....no it's apparent I'm the only one here that feels this way but I am not the only person to express this view. I have had this conversation with other people, in fact the reason I posted it here is because someone else made the comment and I happened to agree so I thought I'd throw it out here and see what happened. I don't expect Carrie to sing songs that deliver messages I agree with. I won't judge her based on that either. This is just one person's interpretation of one song and as I said earlier, I don't turn the song off because of it.

Thanks for replying.

When I asked was it a widespread view, I didn't mean here (where the song has been widely backed as a possible single). I was wondering whether you thought it might be a widespread view among the Mainstream Country audience - and particularly among the socially conservative listeners, who are believed to make up a significant part of the radio market. What interests me there is the extent (if any) to which people feel releasing this song might potentially affect Carrie's perceived image, or the way some radio stations might react to the song.

Oneal

Thanks for replying.

When I asked was it a widespread view, I didn't mean here (where the song has been widely backed as a possible single). I was wondering whether you thought it might be a widespread view among the Mainstream Country audience - and particularly among the socially conservative listeners, who are believed to make up a significant part of the radio market. What interests me there is the extent (if any) to which people feel releasing this song might potentially affect Carrie's perceived image, or the way some radio stations might react to the song.

I work in Nashville, I work in the music industry, the view of the song that I expressed here was expressed to me by another group of people that I happened to agree with. That group are music people that pay attention to lyrics but I'm pretty sure they don't represent the casual radio listener. I think the song would do fine at radio.

Schrodinger

Well yes certain sins are more attacked than others because they cause more of a consequence but I cant speak for other churches but my church we are told gossiping is a sin, now im sure people still do it but its not like those sins go unwarned and you shouldnt need that sin to me condemned by Evangelicals or your pastor you should know for yourself which im sure you do and not worry about what everyone else is saying or doing

I agree with a lot of what you said. However, God does not rate sin by consequences. Sin is sin. Sin is not some window with a bunch of little panes and if you commit one it's like you broke just that piece of glass. Sin is one big sheet of glass, throw a rock though it and you've broken it, period. A lot of Christians tend to rate sin, oh that one is worse than this one, but in God's eyes they are still sin. I don't want to continue the theological discussion as others might find it too devise even for a lively debate.

liveasong

tumblr_mag3q3y93R1rb15udo5_r1_250.gif

BAM BAM BAM.

NC State Carrie Fan

You are absolutely 100% correct! In Gods eyes every sin is the same...but in our eyes there not..were not big or smart enough to rap our minds around the fact that God views every sin the same...thats why when we get to Heaven we will realize and understand and see many things that our brains could not comprehend while we were on Earth

Pi314CA

No it is not, but it is talking about sin. What I said was that Christians pick and choose what sins they want to attack and ignore the rest. I never said the passage is talking about Christians.I have been a Christian and in the Word for a long time, I think I can use proper exegesis. What Paul is setting up his statement in Rom 3:23. This is the bad news. You can't have the good news unless you have the bad first. Then we get to Rom 8:1-4.

The point is that Rom 1 contains a laundry list of actives God condemns as sin. I don't know about you, but while sexual sin is roundly condemned by Evangelicals, I have been in Christian fellowships long enough to know the number one sin committed is gossip, yet that goes unchallenged. That's my point.

As for the log in ones eye---exactly my point.

A lot of what you are saying, I'm okay with. But just do not use Romans 1:29-31 to back up your point. Romans 1:18-31 is NOT talking about Christians, it is talking about humanity.

Romans 1 has a much broader context. Don't take my word for it. Do you own exegesis or read some biblically-sound commentaries.

Let's get back to talking about the subject at hand and forego the scripture discussions.