Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Feb 12] The 54th Annual Grammy Awards (Official Discussion Thread)

opry051008

Last edited:

teesharky

Good idea to start an official thread!

I am so excited about this! Her 5th Grammy performance in 7 years of being an artist!

I hope she wears a really elegant gown like she did for Blue Bloods.

liveasong

I'm SO excited!

tumblr_ly31zwG8Vp1qipt0k.gif

teesharky

No worries. I am just happy Carrie will steal SWSRN's thunder when she nails her performance with Tony. :)

Cps235

This is going to be a great show!!!!! I bet as usual they are going to save the best for last :p

Carrie Underwood draws ratings :D

jaks_weyn

Wow... Looks like they learned their lesson last year... they need Carrie Underwood to perform in the Grammy's... :D :D :D
Hope they will do something new and great of IHTBY!!! :D
I think it's Tony who will win the award, not Carrie but I hope I'm wrong and Carrie wins with MS...
And MS will not be tagged as Carrie's number two song, but Carrie's GRAMMY winning song!!! :D

12russ79

This really pisses me off I thought was gonna be able to skip the Grammy's again... LOL

No hiding behind massive production when you sing the standards... So getting Carrie is really a no brainer.... She delivers every time she is asked to perform.... And this will be no different!!!

CarrieFan_01

I'm so sad I'm going to miss watching the Grammy's with you guys this year. :( I was so looking forward to criticizing all the performances.

Farawayhills

8:00 pm Eastern, 7:00 pm Central on CBS

Carrie will be performing a duet with Tony Bennett

Carrie up for Best Country Solo Performance. Here's the list of nominees in that category:

Carrie Underwood
- Mama's Song
Martina McBride - I'm Going To Love You Through It
Taylor Swift - Mean
Jason Aldean - Dirt Road Anthem
Blake Shelton - Honey Bee

For what it's worth, my thoughts on that are that "Mean" is a relatively strong song (I seem to be one of the few on this board who thinks so! LOL). It could be a serious contender for Song of the Year, were it not up against the eight year old "You And Tequila" (like "Bless the Broken Road", a song whose time has finally come!). However, this is not a songwriting award - it's supposed to be a performance award, and I'm afraid I can't rate Taylor Swift highly for performance.
I'll leave it to others to judge the two male singers - they're too Mainstream for my taste, but probably good radio formula material (If I was forced to choose between them, I guess I'd take "Honey Bee")
That leaves Carrie and Martina McBride - who are both very strong performance artists. These are the deserving winners in my book. "I'm Going To Love You Through It" may stand out for subject matter, and issue relevance, but, personally, I think Martina has had stronger songs.
I posted my thoughts on "Mama's Song" recently in this thread
http://www.carriefans.com/forums/play/148702-4th-album-potential-songs-121.html
Basically, what I felt was that Carrie's performance lifted this song to a new level. Her recent appearances generally (including the ones with Tony Bennett, which many voters will have seen earlier) have marked her out as a great performer. So I do think she has a chance here.

(We have to remember, though, that the Grammys have come under great pressure from the record companies to pay more attention to current popularity, and reward their strong current promotional favourites)

DaisyTweets

Anyone happen to remember how many awards they typically hand out during the broadcast? Guess we'll have to be finding that link for the precast awards show????

This is very exciting news! So happy for Carrie and Tony -- don't think its too often that an 85 yr. old gets to perform on a MAJOR awards show! Can hardly wait to see how this performance will be produced and staged. Wonder if they'll have an orchestra/strings like they did for the PBS Special?

Oh I saw a tweet last night from Tony, there's going to be a DVD/Blu-ray of the Duets II released on Mar. 6th.

12russ79

To me MEAN started out as one thing and then when that wasn't working all of a sudden it became a song about Bullying... In our politically correct times this is one of the Medias pet projects.... So when MEAN was accepted as a Anti-Bullying song all of a sudden it became very popular... You have to hand it to Taylor she is a marketing genius...

I think it's one of Carries greatest achievements is to be nominated for a song that has such incredible personal meaning to her... I love the song because every time I hear Carrie sing it she doesn't have to explain to people what it's about.... The way she puts every once of her soul into singing it tells the listener all they need to know.... For that reason I think this song at least has a chance to win.... And if it does I guarantee you it will be Carries favorite award of her career!!!!

Ace

To me MEAN started out as one thing and then when that wasn't working all of a sudden it became a song about Bullying... In our politically correct times this is one of the Medias pet projects.... So when MEAN was accepted as a Anti-Bullying song all of a sudden it became very popular... You have to hand it to Taylor she is a marketing genius...

I think it's one of Carries greatest achievements is to be nominated for a song that has such incredible personal meaning to her... I love the song because every time I hear Carrie sing it she doesn't have to explain to people what it's about.... The way she puts every once of her soul into singing it tells the listener all they need to know.... For that reason I think this song at least has a chance to win.... And if it does I guarantee you it will be Carries favorite award of her career!!!!

Totally agreed with you that if Carrie win....it will definitely be the most favouite and memorable one of all...this song have so much meaning to her...both her mother and Mike.