Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Feb 12] The 54th Annual Grammy Awards (Official Discussion Thread)

pklongbeach

I think most assume when they hear that Carrie Underwood is singing at the Grammys that it is going to be a big number where she is standing among burning Cars and blasting to the rafters.
I think this kind of a change up on such a huge venue is a really good thing.
Thank of the people out there who have never heard her do "The Sound Of Music/How Great Thou Art/It Had To Be You/SanAntonio Rose/Prayin' For Time"...There is so much about Carries voice that we know that alot of people don't know.
They know BHC and they know JTTW and even DYHWIH and they know her voice when they hear it, but when they hear her sing IT Had to Be You with the lilt that she has, with the pure as honey tone that she has, with a master standards-vocalist standing beside her, it will be one of those "whoa.." moments that causes people to then go out and buy her album cause they realize that there are many aspects to her voice. Easily the type that could fill an album with many layers.
There are "singles artists" out there (Rhianna/Gaga/C.Brown/Perry) where you just download whatever the "single" is, and then there are artists out there that make a collection of music that is worth having in it's entirety. Carrie Underwood is one of those.
And people are gonna b reminded of that this Sunday.

jbrown

I think most assume when they hear that Carrie Underwood is singing at the Grammys that it is going to be a big number where she is standing among burning Cars and blasting to the rafters.
Thank of the people out there who have never heard her do "The Sound Of Music/How Great Thou Art/It Had To Be You/SanAntonio Rose/Prayin' For Time"...There is so much about Carries voice that we know that alot of people don't know.
They know BHC and they know JTTW and even DYHWIH and they know her voice when they hear it, but when they hear her sing IT Had to Be You with the lilt that she has, with the pure as honey tone that she has, with a master standards-vocalist standing beside her, it will be one of those "whoa.." moments that causes people to then go out and buy her album cause they realize that there are many aspects to her voice. Easily the type that could fill an album with many layers.
There are "singles artists" out there (Rhianna/Gaga/C.Brown/Perry) where you just download whatever the "single" is, and then there are artists out there that make a collection of music that is worth having in it's entirety. Carrie Underwood is one of the

I think so too. Cant wait for Sunday.

teesharky

Well said. I agree. Plus carrie has done both BHC and LN at the grammys so i think it will be a nice change of pace for her to do a song like this. It will surprise people and show a different side to carrie.

Also the good news is that i feel confident that carrie has a better chance of being included in overseas broadcasts of the grammys now with tony as her partner. Tony is an international icon so i think they will show him in other countries. They cut out the country stuff usually.

There are "singles artists" out there (Rhianna/Gaga/C.Brown/Perry) where you just download whatever the "single" is, and then there are artists out there that make a collection of music that is worth having in it's entirety. Carrie Underwood is one of those.

teesharky

Clice tweeted about the party and it is on as usual at the beverly hilton hotel the eve before the grammys. They dont usually announce the performers in advance as they like it to be a secret. But last year we got leaks from regearsals about carrie and harry so i think we will hear something if carrie performs.

I am positive carrie will be there though even if no performance. Clive loves carrie. :)

I bet mike might even make it as his game is early that day and he has off on grammy day.

I wonder when we'll hear information about the Clive Davis party? Surely Carrie will be invited to that as well. Hasn't she performed at the party 3 different times?

pklongbeach

I agree about the expossure over seas.
And how frustrating that the "country portions" would be edited out.
that is just crazy to me.
The grammys are supposed to stand for all different types of music.
How odd that they would cut out music that came from the land that the Grammys originated from.
Life is funny to me sometimes.

jbrown

Yaaay! Carrie is going to Clive Davis party. More exposure for Carrie. Just loving it. Thanks Ann, you're good at finding things.

robinannhunt

Why would they honor the billionaire? Is he doing something in music? It is the bransone in the clouds, right?

EDIT: Virgin Records

Louisa

I'm happy to hear Carrie will be attending this year's Grammy awards. It's good to see her being rather active again. We missed her last year.

Carrie is fast becoming the 'Duet Queen'! I'm glad she will share the stage with Tony Bennett once again as they work well together, but I wish she was doing big solo performance. Oh well. I still look forward to it.

teesharky

It is possible Carrie will perform at Clive's party-- but I doubt she will do Good Girl as she might be afraid it will leak.

She could perform with a duet partner again like Harry Connick Jr. I don't think she would perform the same song with Tony Bennett at the Clive Davis party as what she is doing at the Grammys.

Claire2004

So when do the performers usually rehearse for the Grammys? Two days before? I remember EW always covers those rehearsals, looking forward to that. :)

12russ79

Allison Stewart/New York Post

Wednesday, Feb 8, 2012
As Bon Iver head grump Justin Vernon will tell you, Grammy night is all about unlikely on-stage collaborations. Sometimes, the show's random juxtaposition of artists, its seemingly haphazard melding of genres, generations and songs, yields greatness (remember Radiohead and the USC Marching Band? Or the great Kanye West/Daft Punk explosion of '08?). Sometimes, not as much.

We realize that most of the collaborations we'd really like to see (Adele and Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj) probably won't happen. But if the list of scheduled collaborators is any guide, 2012 will bring the crazy, the tasteless, the awesome and the unintentionally ridiculous in equal measure. (Note: More time is needed to fully process the Beach Boys/Maroon 5/Foster the People collaborative performance that was just announced.)

The top five Grammy night performances we're dreading the least:

1. Deadmau5/David Guetta/Chris Brown/Lil Wayne/Foo Fighters

This performance, which will take place in a tent outside the venue, makes a certain kind of sense: The electro artists will appear because the Grammys can no longer credibly ignore them; Foo Fighters will appear because to the Grammy bigwigs, they're the Sheryl Crow of the aughts — a much-awarded, inoffensive, genre-spanning outfit that can be plugged into pretty much any situation and make the best of it. Either that, or someone at NARAS really hates Dave Grohl. And maybe they figure it's better to have Chris Brown outside the Staples Center, and Rihanna inside?

2. Tony Bennett and Carrie Underwood

We forget: She's one of the best singers in the business. And Bennett is always at his twinkliest when performing with the young ladies.

3. Alicia Keys and Bonnie Raitt: Etta James tribute

Remember last year, when all those divas paid awkward homage to Aretha Franklin and everyone got scared that Aretha was dead but she was really just sick? And Christina Aguilera almost fell off the stage? This year promises to be a lot less hammy/unintentionally terrifying, but the pairing of '00s Grammy queen Keys and her '80s counterpart Raitt (who is much more of a blueswoman than her late career pop albums would indicate) can't miss. Was this the performance Vernon declined to participate in? The Internet says maybe.

4. Rihanna with Coldplay

Their "Mylo Xyloto" duet "Princess of China" was a snooze, but both artists usually bring it live. This one could go either way.

5. Whoever performs at the inevitable Don Cornelius tribute

How about Bruno Mars with the Roots, artists who could have actually performed on "Soul Train" back in the day? Or J. Cole? Or Blue Ivy's mom? What about Skrillex (please not Skrillex)?