Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kacey Musgraves Golden Hour

lizcarlo

Kacey Musgraves new album 'Golden Hour': Singer details 'trippy' LP | EW.com

Kacey Musgraves details 'trippy' new album Golden Hour, coming early 2018

Late last year, during the early stages of making her fourth LP, country singer Kacey Musgraves found herself at a crossroads as she reflected on the end of her 20s and prepared to walk down the aisle. “There are certain junctures in your life where you can’t really think your way through — you have to feel your way through,” says Musgraves, 29, who married fellow musician Ruston Kelly in October. “Making this album, it’s like leading heart first.”

For the upcoming Golden Hour, due in early 2018, following her heart meant trying out new styles as well as writing some of the most honest and genuine tunes of her career. Though she once expressed interest in making a reggae or surf-rock album next, Musgraves describes her new LP as having a “trippy” twist, citing the Bee Gees, Sade, and Neil Young as influences. And while she’s often celebrated for her clever wordplay and witty turns of phrase about small-town life, Musgraves says she avoided wrapping every lyric “up in a little bow” in favor of more direct, reflective songwriting.

“I was thinking about how there are different masks that we wear that represent different sides of us,” she says of the album’s central theme. “None of the masks are solely us, but they’re all us. On this record, there’s the lonely girl, the blissful girl, the new wife, the girl that’s missing her mom, the angry girl, the sarcastic girl, the ‘60s-sequined Cruella de Vil with the beehive, the shy girl, the life of the party, the winner, the loser — they’re all characters on this record. None of them alone are me, but the golden hour is when they all come together and you see me as a whole.”

Musgraves wrote most of the album during the past year, with the exception of one track, an unreleased fan favorite that she’s often performed live. (She’s keeping the title a secret for now: “It’s just a live take of me sitting by the piano singing,” she teases. “There’s no Auto-Tune, there’s no nothing.”) Naturally, her relationship with Kelly inspired plenty of material. “I have a lot more love songs this time around, and I’ve never been one to write a love song and really feel it,” Musgraves says. “That probably sounds like the most depressing thing ever. [But] I’m coming off getting married and being in this golden hour of my personal life, where all these things are finally coming to fruition. I found myself inspired to write about this person and all these things he brought out in me that weren’t there before.”

lizcarlo

This is from Pulse as well

A couple of titles recently registered (and therefore possible album cuts):
- Butterflies (K. Musgraves, N. Hemby, L. Laird) - Live performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglZTXnoYis;
- Back From War (K. Musgraves, J. Michaels, J. Tranter)
- Candy Hearts (K. Musgraves, T. Dabbs, T. English)
- Champagne (K. Musgraves, L. McKenna, N. Hemby)
- Forever 27 (K. Musgraves, J. Michaels, J. Tranter)
- Golden Child (K. Musgraves, S. McAnally, J. Osborne)
- Golden Hour (K. Musgraves, T. Dabbs, T. English)
- Good Hands (K. Musgraves, T. Dabbs, T. English)
- Happy And Sad (K. Musgraves, I. Fitchuk, D. Tashian)
- Harder s**t (K. Musgraves, S. McAnally, J. Osborne)
- High Horse (K. Musgraves, T. Dabbs, T. English)
- Late In Love And A Little Drunk (K. Musgraves, B. Clark, J. Dillon)
- Love Is A Wild Thing (K. Musgraves, I. Fitchuk, D. Tashian) - Performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuDuIItQTJw
- Lucky Me (K. Musgraves, S. McAnally, L. Laird)
- Oh What A World (K. Musgraves, I. Fitchuk, D. Tashian)
- Space Cowboy (K. Musgraves, S. McAnally, L. Laird)
- Thank God I Did (K. Musgraves, A. Wadge)
- To June This Morning(K. Musgraves, R. Kelly, J. Cash)
- Velvet Elvis (K. Musgraves, N. Hemby, C. Dick)
- You And Rain (K. Musgraves, C. Dick, J. Osborne)

Farawayhills

A few names that struck me in the songwriting links

Trent Dabbs earlier recorded a dual project with Ashley Monroe (that was before her more recent two major albums)

Ian Fitchuk and Daniel Tashian are the co-producers of Kacey's new album (and I think are likely to give it a lighter, more Folk Rock feel). I'm not really familiar with Ian Fitchuk's work, but he recently posted about singing with Madi Diaz and Lucie Silvas (who were both involved with Miranda's recent double album) Luke Dick, incidentally, also wrote on that album.
Daniel Tashian has led various bands, and is a strong songwriter. He is the son of Barry and Holly Tashian, who have been active in Bluegrass for some decades.

Having them as producers rather indicates a lessening of reliance on Shane McAnally, who was a major force on Kacey's last two albums (though Shane is still involved with some of the songs)

Lori McKenna and Natalie Hemby are first rate writers - it's hard to go wrong with them on board

I would guess that this album will be brighter, happier and more whimsical than the biting social comment on some of Kacey's earlier songs - that would tie in with her description of "trippy", and the fact that she's newly-wed.
The more mixed genre influences are probably also a sound development - Mainstream Country radio doesn't really support her, and she's picked up a significant audience across the musical spectrum, from Pop, Folk, Alternative and Light Rock fans, as well as more Alt leaning Country fans.

Last edited:

Momin

This is from Pulse as well

A couple of titles recently registered (and therefore possible album cuts):
- Butterflies (K. Musgraves, N. Hemby, L. Laird) - Live performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglZTXnoYis;
- Back From War (K. Musgraves, J. Michaels, J. Tranter)
- Candy Hearts (K. Musgraves, T. Dabbs, T. English)
- Champagne (K. Musgraves, L. McKenna, N. Hemby)
- Forever 27 (K. Musgraves, J. Michaels, J. Tranter)
- Golden Child (K. Musgraves, S. McAnally, J. Osborne)
- Golden Hour (K. Musgraves, T. Dabbs, T. English)
- Good Hands (K. Musgraves, T. Dabbs, T. English)
- Happy And Sad (K. Musgraves, I. Fitchuk, D. Tashian)
- Harder s**t (K. Musgraves, S. McAnally, J. Osborne)
- High Horse (K. Musgraves, T. Dabbs, T. English)
- Late In Love And A Little Drunk (K. Musgraves, B. Clark, J. Dillon)
- Love Is A Wild Thing (K. Musgraves, I. Fitchuk, D. Tashian) - Performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuDuIItQTJw
- Lucky Me (K. Musgraves, S. McAnally, L. Laird)
- Oh What A World (K. Musgraves, I. Fitchuk, D. Tashian)
- Space Cowboy (K. Musgraves, S. McAnally, L. Laird)
- Thank God I Did (K. Musgraves, A. Wadge)
- To June This Morning(K. Musgraves, R. Kelly, J. Cash)
- Velvet Elvis (K. Musgraves, N. Hemby, C. Dick)
- You And Rain (K. Musgraves, C. Dick, J. Osborne)

I've heard some of Trent Dabbs' stuff and I really like him. Would be interesting to see what they've written.

lizcarlo

http://www.carriefans.com/forums/music/160809-kacey-musgraves-golden-hour.html#post4755006

28279561_1817285281679573_7624357757075017665_n.jpg

gocountrymusic

I like both songs, I loved her debut album but always felt Pageant Material was a little too similar to Same Trailer Different Park. Space Cowboy is very modern sounding and caught me off guard and Butterflies is very positive which is a nice change from the more cynical songs she is know for.

lizcarlo

The Late Night Show With Stephen Colbert Thursday 3/29 10:35 PM

Today Show Friday 3/30 7:00 AM

The Ellen DeGeneres Show Wednesday 4/4 3:00 PM