Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miranda Lambert - The Weight Of These Wings

Farawayhills

Ha ha ha fingers still crossed that I will actually love it as much as Famous.......(which I would argue is one of the smartest "country songs" to be written in a long while)

"Famous in a Small Town" was one she wrote with Travis Howard, a fellow Texan whom she connected with when they were both contestants on Nashville Star.
This is another song that they both collaborated on - it's less well known, and different in style - but I find it has a haunting quality, which shows the softer, more vulnerable side of her work. In general terms, I'd like to hear at least one or two of this type in the mix on the new album

lizcarlo

Her early albums were full of solo writes - but they have been few and far between on the recent albums. Where they do occur ("Dear Diamond", "Bathroom Sink"), they are among her most reflective studies, exploring aspects of the feminine psyche, and are often particular fan favourites.

Windmills has found just one solo write so far, that might be on the album, although her list is provisional and may be incomplete. The new one is called “We Should Be Friends”.
(Windmills has also found another song, just written by Miranda with Gwen - as they sing so much together on tour, this could probably be considered one by the team - It's called “Runnin’ Just In Case”)

I certainly expect a mixture of Country styles - several of her co-writers, e.g, Mando Saenz, Brent Cobb, Aaron Raitiere, come from the more Alternative wing, so I expect some of the album to lean "Americana".

One song at least sounds "traditional" (some may regret her going in that direction - I'll try to address that point in my next post). It was co-written with Adam Hood, an old friend she's earlier sung with. You can hear a rough live cut of him singing it in a rather noisy environment here (Thanks to Kimberly Faye Cook for the video)
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.lolless/videos/vb.1620248658/10208166205945779/?type=2&theater

However, I'm also expecting some songs to pitch Miranda more to Mainstream relevance. Among the "possibles" there are co-writes with people like Luke Laird and Shane McAnally, who are stalwart supporters of the current female "new wave".

"Keeper of the Flame" is co-written with Natalie Hemby (probably the most influential of Miranda's recent writing partners) and Liz Rose (current co-holder of the Song of the Year, and co-writer of what I consider one of Carrie's all-time most expressive vocals, "Like I'll Never Love You Again"). These are strong writers, and I'm hoping "Keeper of the Flame" will be one of the standouts

I agree and wished hey were singles. Thank for the info. I was wondering if there were any song floating around that could be on her next cd. I like Liz Rose as co writer. I love "Like I'll Never Love You Again". The vocal is gorgeous. I really excite for Keeper Of The Flame now. Virginia Bluebell, Girls, Hard Staying Sober, White Liar, Priscilla, Babies Makin Babies are really good songs the songs that Natalie has co wrote with Miranda and others. You have me more excited now. Thanks for the information.

Farawayhills

The word from several people on Twitter tonight is that the new single will be "Records I've Never Heard" (Miranda Lambert, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)

I've not found the original source of this, and can't say whether it is fact or rumour - but if true, it would appear to make sense. The song's been in Windmills' list for several months - but, as far as I know, it hasn't surfaced before in fan speculation. However, Shane and Josh (who often write together) seem likely choices for a song aimed at potential radio play (which is probably something of a priority for the label at this stage.)

thaifood

Apparently this was in Country Aircheck this week. The 33, 45, and 78 have to do with the RPM (revolutions per minute) on vinyl records, according to some posters over at Pulse. Interesting. http://countryaircheck.com/images/ads/071216164026-1.JPG

33's were albums
45's were singles
78's were long ago singles but some singles continued to be released in the 78 format into the mid to late 50's.

45's were the dominate format until sometime in the late 50's or early 60's when people began buying more albums than singles.

But, I'm at a loss as to what the photo is all about.

Kizmet311

33's were albums
45's were singles
78's were long ago singles but some singles continued to be released in the 78 format into the mid to late 50's.

45's were the dominate format until sometime in the late 50's or early 60's when people began buying more albums than singles.

But, I'm at a loss as to what the photo is all about.

I'm not sure if you are just being sarcastic or what since you seem to come to this thread just to make snide comments, but the symbol on the record in the picture is Miranda's logo and since Faraway said there is a rumor saying her lead single is "Records I've Never Heard", then this ad seems to confirm the rumor and is one of those hidden/teaser ads that artists like to do for new music sometimes.

Kizmet311

Apparently this was in Country Aircheck this week. The 33, 45, and 78 have to do with the RPM (revolutions per minute) on vinyl records, according to some posters over at Pulse. Interesting. http://countryaircheck.com/images/ads/071216164026-1.JPG

This picture seems to confirm the rumored lead single title that Faraway gave us, "Records I've Never Heard". I can't say that this title excites me that much, simply because the title alone immediately invokes thoughts of a song like Automatic and nostalgia. I hope it isn't just a nostalgia song, because she already did that for the lead single from Platinum and I would like for her lead single this time to be something that will pack a punch and make a statement (not necessarily be uptempo, just pushing her boundaries). I will reserve complete judgment until I've heard the song, but I hope there is more to it than just looking back at yesteryear.

Suellen

I'm not sure if you are just being sarcastic or what since you seem to come to this thread just to make snide comments, but the symbol on the record in the picture is Miranda's logo and since Faraway said there is a rumor saying her lead single is "Records I've Never Heard", then this ad seems to confirm the rumor and is one of those hidden/teaser ads that artists like to do for new music sometimes.
I thought the same as Thaifoot when I read the post about 33s and 45s, I had so many of them when I was younger.

Farawayhills

78s were made of shellac, rather than vinyl, and they were easily broken. My first Country records were 78s. My grandmother gave me a pile that the Canadian army left at her house when they were stationed in Sussex. When I was little boy, I used to pretend to be one of the records, and sing while I was turning round and round (no, no video of this remarkable event exists, so I'm spared the embarrassment!)

Kizmet311

I thought the same as Thaifoot when I read the post about 33s and 45s, I had so many of them when I was younger.

Ok, well maybe Ron was asking a legitimate question about what the photo meant, but he did make a slightly snide comment on page 1 of this thread and can be quite sarcastic sometimes, so it is hard to read the tone of his posts sometimes. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, although if you read the posts above about the possible lead single title, the picture makes sense and Ron has been around long enough to know that artists put those teaser ads in Country Aircheck.

Suellen

Ok, well maybe Ron was asking a legitimate question about what the photo meant, but he did make a slightly snide comment on page 1 of this thread and can be quite sarcastic sometimes, so it is hard to read the tone of his posts sometimes. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, although if you read the posts above about the possible lead single title, the picture makes sense and Ron has been around long enough to know that artists put those teaser ads in Country Aircheck.
i know what you meant about his post, for me it just bought up memories when I was younger. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing her new single.

Farawayhills

This picture seems to confirm the rumored lead single title that Faraway gave us, "Records I've Never Heard". I can't say that this title excites me that much, simply because the title alone immediately invokes thoughts of a song like Automatic and nostalgia. I hope it isn't just a nostalgia song, because she already did that for the lead single from Platinum and I would like for her lead single this time to be something that will pack a punch and make a statement (not necessarily be uptempo, just pushing her boundaries). I will reserve complete judgment until I've heard the song, but I hope there is more to it than just looking back at yesteryear.

Speculating from a title is always a shot in the dark - but the feeling I get from the title and the photo is more one of continuity, than simply looking back. Just reminiscing on the memories old records are associated with doesn't really seem to tie in well with the "I've Never Heard" part of the title. I get more a feeling of a realization that the possible emotions in the present song tie in with the long ongoing stream of Country Music's themes and traditions - which might also fit using "Keeper of the Flame" as a tour (and possible album) title.

On the co-writers - I don't think she's written with Josh Osborne before, but he's a proven hit maker, with a varied stylistic repertoire. Artists he's been particularly associated with lately are Kacey Musgraves (five cuts on each of her two recent albums); Sam Hunt (five cuts on "Montevallo", with more on his acoustic set, "In the Pines"); and Reba McEntire (four cuts on her current album). My feeling is that his work may steer Miranda a little more Mainstream than most of "Platinum".

Shane McAnally has written with many of the younger female singers, including, for example, Carrie's special tribute song "Keep Us Safe". He was also heavily involved with both Kacey Musgraves' projects, as writer and producer. With regard to Miranda, he was one of the writers of her previous hit single "Mama's Broken Heart". I love Miranda's treatment of that song, and I think her record persona fitted well into the theme of the generational attitude shift, and the frantic emotion of the narrator - which I personally think suited Miranda's style more than it did Kacey Musgraves' softer, more sardonic style. But that song is strongly associated in my mind with the other co-writer, Brandy Clark - who's not involved in the new song.

All told, I'm expecting the new song to be relatively Mainstream-leaning - but hopefully with some psychological character-exploration, and a dash of "attitude".

Kizmet311

Speculating from a title is always a shot in the dark - but the feeling I get from the title and the photo is more one of continuity, than simply looking back. Just reminiscing on the memories old records are associated with doesn't really seem to tie in well with the "I've Never Heard" part of the title. I get more a feeling of a realization that the possible emotions in the present song tie in with the long ongoing stream of Country Music's themes and traditions - which might also fit using "Keeper of the Flame" as a tour (and possible album) title.

On the co-writers - I don't think she's written with Josh Osborne before, but he's a proven hit maker, with a varied stylistic repertoire. Artists he's been particularly associated with lately are Kacey Musgraves (five cuts on each of her two recent albums); Sam Hunt (five cuts on "Montevallo", with more on his acoustic set, "In the Pines"); and Reba McEntire (four cuts on her current album). My feeling is that his work may steer Miranda a little more Mainstream than most of "Platinum".

Shane McAnally has written with many of the younger female singers, including, for example, Carrie's special tribute song "Keep Us Safe". He was also heavily involved with both Kacey Musgraves' projects, as writer and producer. With regard to Miranda, he was one of the writers of her previous hit single "Mama's Broken Heart". I love Miranda's treatment of that song, and I think her record persona fitted well into the theme of the generational attitude shift, and the frantic emotion of the narrator - which I personally think suited Miranda's style more than it did Kacey Musgraves' softer, more sardonic style. But that song is strongly associated in my mind with the other co-writer, Brandy Clark - who's not involved in the new song.

All told, I'm expecting the new song to be relatively Mainstream-leaning - but hopefully with some psychological character-exploration, and a dash of "attitude".

You are definitely right that you can't just judge a song by the title - I never expected SITW to be a religious song about baptism. I am looking forward to hearing the song and as you've said before, I will be especially excited to hear the album. I've never been on pins and needles for a lead single for Miranda, because they are usually not even the best the album has to offer, so I will look forward with more anticipation to the album itself.

Claire2004

@WindmillsMusic
I feel so obnoxious doing this & don't know what I can say but the new Miranda Lambert single out 7/18 is *not* "Records I Never Heard."

@WindmillsMusic
I feel so obnoxious doing this & don't know what I can say but the new Miranda Lambert single out 7/18 is *not* "Records I Never Heard."

Windmills then posts that Miranda's new single is actually called "Vice" (confirmed by the cover art posted on Slacker Radio, whatever that is). Same writers, it seems.

That title alone is rather intriguing. I'm curious to know how vice, a word typically meaning immoral or wrongdoing or downfall, links to RPMs. Maybe her vice is music? Idk.

Farawayhills

Windmills then posts that Miranda's new single is actually called "Vice" (confirmed by the cover art posted on Slacker Radio, whatever that is). Same writers, it seems.

That title alone is rather intriguing. I'm curious to know how vice, a word typically meaning immoral or wrongdoing or downfall, links to RPMs. Maybe her vice is music? Idk.

"Vice" was also mentioned as the title in the Pulse Music Board thread - so I guess that's the one

(Slacker Radio is a streaming service, available in both basic (free) and premium (with extra features) versions. As far as I can tell, it doesn't offer unlimited choice of named songs or albums, but provides "stations" consisting of similar songs, based on the genre or artist you pick - you can refine the playlists to some extent by clicking feedback options. It seems to be only available in North America)

My theories based on the other title go out of the window - and "Vice" gives even less to go on - but I think the observations based on the writers presumably still apply...lol

Kizmet311

Well, Vice makes sense with the picture Miranda posted of her holding a drink yesterday (I think it was yesterday). I will say that this title is much more intriguing to me and I can't wait to hear it! Just a few more days!