Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miranda Lambert - The Weight Of These Wings

lizcarlo

Brent Cobb wrote Old **** in memory of his own grandfather, Eugene Barnum Cobb (1928-2012) - it can be a touching tribute to many well loved older relatives.

Miranda's use of that song, on Platinum, shows a side of her that may not mean a lot to some Mainstream fans - but it shows how she's willing to dig deep to represent different facets of the breadth of the genre. Brent Cobb has since gained a strong cult reputation - but he certainly wasn't famous when Miranda found and decided to use that evocative song. This video - rare footage from Miranda's recovery year, in a basement dive in Nashville, shows them singing the song together - this ability to move naturally between the big showcase stages and the small clubs, with no trace of celebrity pretension, is one of the things I most admire about her.

Interesting info. Thanks for posting. Liked that performance. She looked so relaxed and looked like she was having fun. Miranda has great ear for music.

Farawayhills

I can never quite get used to the idea that Mother's Day is celebrated on a different day in America - for us, it's always Mid Lent Sunday (traditionally called Mothering Sunday, when people originally tried to visit their mother church, and extended it to a day when girls, especially, who were working away from home, took flowers home to their own mothers ). Ours varies, according to the date of Easter - but is usually about six weeks earlier than the American holiday.

Anyway, Miranda reminded me that it was the American holiday today by posting this picture, with her grandmother, Wanda, and her mother, Beverley

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdF9TgeUwAAZ9cq.jpg

I hope all mothers and families have a happy day, whenever they celebrate it! :)

Momin

I've been largely absent from the board (just taking time to focus on myself to heal from some difficult times). However, I kept up with everything being said on the board and have had a lot of thoughts, starting from the CMA's! So bare with me as I write my thoughts down. I want to contribute too.

1. I had been wanting Miranda to perform "To Learn Her" at an awards show because it's one of my favourite tracks on the record. To say the least, it was brilliantly done! I found it interesting, in retrospect, how the song transcends in its lyrical meaning. It's not simply about this woman - that's the direct implication of the words. For me, it also applied to Miranda herself as an artist. The line "to learn her is to lose her" rings true for me in terms of seeing her true artistry, like the one on TWOTW, is to lose her as a mainstream act. Whoever has heard this album now (institutions like radio) have now 'lost' her, in a sense.

2. The Elton John tribute is another example of how Miranda puts her own stamp on a song. I believe it was on Rolling Stone that I read that this song could easily have been a Miranda song on a Miranda album. That's so true. I've been thoroughly enjoying Miranda's vocals on those lyrics and the way she sings them. I haven't seen the actual performance of it though.

3. The ACM Awards performance was really good. I don't think anybody made a comment on her jacket. She said it was a Jessi Colter jacket. And yes, of course, the guitar was signed by Loretta Lynn. In some short interview, Miranda said that performance is a good way to say goodbye to this album era. Just capping the era off with that song where she talks about trying to carry the legacy forward.

4. In case someone wants to view the PBS special where she performed most of the record with the songwriters of the songs, here it is. It's up on YouTube and I have thoroughly enjoyed these acoustic performances. It's good to hear the songs sung by the writers themselves, showing their vocal spin on it too. Miranda also relates some small anecdotes about many of the songs. I found it interesting to know (which I didn't before) that the day they wrote "Vice" was the very day the news of Miranda's divorce broke. Shane MacAnnally praised Miranda's strength for doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPfKKFwG0Xs&t=897s

5. The tabloids about Miranda cheating and moving onto a new person is something I personally don't care about at all. Whether she did it or not, the media is always sexist in how it portrays women and how much damage she retains from the hoopla. The men mostly escape unscathed. I personally do feel bad for her, even if I might not agree with some of her personal choices. We all do things that we feel ashamed about but it scares us to death if people find out or widely talk about it. Especially if you're a celebrity, that aspect is magnified and nobody wants their personal goods and bads to up for public discussion. I'm sure a lot of us on the board have done things that, if given the exposure a celebrity is given, we'd be buried in heaps of tissues. For me, the music still matters and that's what I'm going to focus on.

Farawayhills

^ Thanks for the link to that nearly hour long video, Momin - definitely one to keep. I like the way the acoustic session highlights the lyrics, and puts the songs in a different, more direct and intimate, perspective.

It was also very interesting to get so many of the co-writers - the range featured brought out clearly how her choices ranged across the spectrum, from leading Nashville writers, through stalwarts of the Texas music scene, to more "underground" Alternative writers. It's one of the things that make her albums so different - certainly not a new development for her, but more emphatically expressed on TWOTW.

One interesting little aspect was Miranda's description of "To Learn Her" - saying she wanted to do a Country song. As she referred to it in those terms twice, it can hardly have been an accident. It's actually not the only musically traditional song on the double album, but they are a minority - and I think her comment reinforces the impression that much of TWOTW falls more into the category that would nowadays tend to be called "Americana" (In the UK, the album charted top 3 in both the Country and the Americana album charts)

Farawayhills

Miranda has now been confirmed as one of the artists dueting with Dolly Parton on the soundtrack for the forthcoming film "Dumplin'" (which will star Jennifer Anniston)

The music for the film is a joint project by Dolly and Linda Perry (who co-writes and produces), and they introduced it at an event which made important points about the problems faced by women in music, and other forms of discrimination. There will be twelve songs, six of them Dolly standards, and six newly written for the film. The list of duet partners has not yet been finalized (in the presentation, Dolly only mentioned her god-daughter, Miley Cyrus, and Australian Pop/Jazz singer/songwriter, Sia). A radio station hinted at Miranda's participation, and this has now been confirmed. I also believe Elle King will take part, though I'm not sure if that is confirmed.

Here is a picture of Dolly and Linda Perry, with Miranda, announcing the participation:

https://twitter.com/DollyLite/status/998761006573805568

Farawayhills

Some idea of Miranda's determination not to miss a music gig that's she's interested in (and the sometimes hectic life of someone working for a music star) can be seen from this tweet posted by her loyal long term bus driver:

" DB‏ @DB102681

Packing my bag to leave OK & heading to TN. Then get on the bus, leave TN & head to OK for a show. Then turn around, leave OK, head back to TN to fly back home to OK for a few days before heading back to TN to leave again.
1f92f.png
1f6eb.png
1f68e.png
1f68c.png
1f68c.png
1f68c.png
1f68c.png
1f69b.png
1f69a.png
1f69a.png
1f69a.png
1f69a.png
1f6ec.png

Farawayhills

The official video for "Keeper of the Flame" was launched today (after a preview yesterday for fan club members, some of whom appear in it).

Tying in closely with the current priorities in her career, it is built entirely around touring, performance and fan interaction - the two halves concentrate firstly on the detail of tour preparation, with the focus on casual clothing, and secondly on actual stage performance, with more glamour shots, including the fringed sleeves that have become a popular fan favourite.

If my count is correct, this is the 14th video that Trey Fanjoy has directed for Miranda - an association that goes right back to "Me and Charlie Talking" in 2004

An even longer association is with Scotty Wray, whom she's seen hugging at one point in the video - he's been her acoustic accompanist and low harmony singer since she started on the club circuit in Texas as a teenager.

I'm particularly pleased that she went for a performance video - it may well have been in part a budgetary decision, but it's also especially appropriate for the theme of this song. It's also of special interest that the shots span the two sides of the Country Music live performance spectrum - from Joe's Bar on Weed St in Chicago, which she chose for the tour rehearsal show, to the bigger mainline venues where most of her fans connect with her.

This is almost certainly the last video of this album era. KOTF is one of two songs on TWOTW that she co-wrote with Liz Rose and Natalie Hemby. The other was "Ugly Lights" - a starkly uncompromising portrait of the lonely, self-destructive side of night life culture - whereas "Keeper of the Flame" is a much more positive elegy of the Country Music tradition of passing the torch, from the ones that came before, to the little lights waiting to ignite. Between them, the two songs sum up the thematic transition the double album makes, from the despair and self examination, to the hope and rebirth, that the characters of each song express.

Last edited:

Farawayhills

Some recent updates:

1. Miranda spent her last free weekend at the start of this month showing her Gypsy Vanners at the Feathered Horse Classic, on the campus of Clemson University, SC. Gypsy Vanners originated as light draught horses in the British Isles, and are her favourite breed (she called her label after them, and also often uses the word Gypsy in her tour publicity) They are called feathered horses because of the long hair round their fetlocks, originally a protection for working on rough tracks. Like their matching long mains, it needs a lot of attention in show horses. For the dressage, riders wear the formal show ring gear, sometimes called "English style". (I used to go to a lot of horse shows in my teens, and I'm glad that Miranda keeps up this demanding bur rewarding hobby). You can see pictures of the event here:
https://twitter.com/mirandalambert/status/1013604717791006723

2. Her next tour is starting soon; rehearsals have already taken place, and band leader Alex Weedon has tweeted about the music being the best yet. It is called the Bandwagon Tour, and she is sharing the billing with Little Big Town, who have tweeted that there will be several collaborative numbers, in which they will give her the lead. She will be supported by her friend and frequent co-writer, Natalie Hemby, and by Tenille Townes (a Canadian artist, who is a new signing for the Sony group) - she is a singer songwriter, with a Roots leaning, and I'm glad that Randy Goodman is introducing some balance in the group's female roster, currently dominated by the Pop-leaning Maren Morris. (I'll try to post something about Tenille when the tour gets under way)

3. Miranda mentioned Carrie, in a quote comparing their voices, in a Cincinnati interview:

"There’s a lot better singers than me. I always say I’m more of a stylist. I’m not one of those powerhouse vocalists. I wish I was. Carrie Underwood can sing circles around me. Maybe I’m not the greatest singer in the world, but I feel like I deliver with emotion, because I mean it, and sometimes that’s more important than singing big notes, even if I could. But I respect female vocalists such as Carrie for their talent. I love to be in competition. I think it’s healthy for all us women to push each other and to help each other and to inspire each other to be better."

In the same interview, she also referred to the publicity angle that so fascinates parts of the press, in the context of her long avoidance of giving detailed interviews:

"I’m not hiding it. I went through a very public divorce, obviously. But it’s over, and I’m past it. Talking about the music that came from that is always on the table, because it has to be. I made a record. I said everything I wanted to say in the record, and I feel like addressing the music that came from it is saying enough. It’s just a strange life, because I really am just a small-town Texas girl who loves to writes songs and play in a band, and the publicity part of it all is not who I am. It’s not part of my makeup to be seen. I only want to be heard. But in this time, there’s so much visibility. It leaves little to the imagination. You kind of know everything about everybody. I wish it wasn’t that way, but I’ve learned to accept it and deal with it the best way possible, and I take it out on paper."
https://eu.cincinnati.com/story/ent...-said-everything-wanted-say-record/768161002/

4. Miranda has been named as the 2018 Artist in Residence at the Country Music Hall of Fame (the highlight of which is two concerts in September, to which she will be able to bring guest artists). Jason Isbell, the previous AIR tweeted his congratulations, as did the Oakridge Boys, who called her "our" Miranda Lambert. She is the youngest artist to be given this honour, and only the third female (the other two having been Rosanne Cash and Connie Smith. Rosanne is an artist who I would compare more, in general style and attitude, to Miranda - but Connie Smith is an artist whose career has often reminded me particularly of Carrie's - and that connection suggests to me that Carrie might also get this honour one day soon.)
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...sic-hall-of-fames-artist-in-residence-697471/

Kizmet311

Thanks for the updates, Faraway. Miranda has been so quiet this era that honestly it has been easy to "forget" about her lately. I guess that's because I pretty much only listen to mainstream country radio and playlists so unless I make the effort to listen to her albums specifically, I just don't hear her. I haven't been to one of her tours in a while either. The last one I remember for sure was early 2012. I honestly can't remember if I've been since then.

lizcarlo

I really like Miranda Lambert voice. She has emotional twang (on some songs soft) voice that I really like. Here are performances on why I love her voice.

This is one of my favorite performances from Miranda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nohZLbIZRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXs9_h-hNBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ryrDjnriM

I think her emotion shows in her writing like in Love Is Looking For You, More Like Her, To Learn Her, Dear Diamond, Dead Flowers, Two Rings Shy, Dear Sobriety for examples. Her music is consistently good. You can tell she puts her heart in her music.

Farawayhills

This was Miranda's solo set list for the start of the Bandwagon Tour (thanks to RandaLourita for the information)

Thats The Way That The World Goes Round
Kerosene
Highway Vagabond
We Should Be Friends
Vice
Heart Like Mine
Over You
All Kinds Of Kinds
The House That Built Me
Pink Sunglasses
Gunpowder and Lead
Ugly Lights
Mama's Broken Heart
Automatic
Tin Man

(A generally pretty predictable mix of her Mainstream hits and material from the current era - though I'm glad to see the latter still getting a large share - including more uncompromising deep cuts like "Ugly Lights". I'm also glad to see "All Kinds of Kinds" still evident - a real labour of love for her, which the Mainstream rather half-heartedly swallowed, but became something of a trademark song. Perhaps the biggest surprise is the opener, "Thats The Way That The World Goes Round." This was a John Prine cover, with slightly changed lyrics, which made her Revolution album. A divisive experiment, both praised and hated, for its distorted twang, which she called a mixture of Country and Punk, it can be seen as foreshadowing some of the more recent musical progression - but I wouldn't have bet on seeing it in this tour list. One reason may be that she's recently collaborated on an album with John Prine (whom she obviously admires); speculatively, another reason may be that some of the lines could be considered a metaphor for the confusion and bitterness in today's society, without being overtly political.

This is the set list for the part of the concert where she sings with Little Big Town:

Girl Crush
Killing Me Softly
Goodbye Earl
Boondocks
White Liar
Little White Church
Say My Name
Little Red Wagon L
Let´s Go Crazy
Lean On Me

This segment includes a mix of songs associated with both acts, with some covers. The Dixie Chicks' cover is yet another example of her abiding love for the group - something she's steadfastly maintained since her teens (It may have significantly harmed her with parts of the Nashville Star audience in 2004). The closing song is a cover of Bill Withers' much recorded 1970s classic - a hymn of hope and mutual support which would seem to fit the philosophy of both artists, and continue the pattern of recent concert closers

Farawayhills

Natalie Hemby, Turnpike Troubadours, and the Steel Woods will be support acts on different dates for this tour. But Tenille Townes will open the bill on all dates. Miranda is really pulling out the stops for this young Canadian, and I think her fans will like her. I only hope Sony, who have signed her, will be prepared to strongly back her, as I think she could bring a welcome fresh note to the Mainstream

One possible point of interest is to compare the approaches of Taylor Swift and Tenille (who both wrote different songs with this title, and proceeded from a "fairy tale" theme.) As I understand it, Taylor's song was inspired by a boyfriend, whom she'd regarded in an idealized light, but who let down her expectations, and left her heartbroken. In other words, the emphasis was personal, and stemmed from feelings of rejection. Tenille's song proceeds on more generalized and socially conscious lines. She explains the song by saying "This lyric talks about how love can look different than society may expect it to. Our culture can put a lot of pressure on the white horse fairy tale idea of love and I think its important to be open hearted to however it may come around." (In other words, you can find the positive in ways that are quite different from your expectations - in a "wild flower" rather than a fairy tale ideal.)

Last edited:

Farawayhills

Miranda's main featured song on Late Night with Seth Meyers was "Pink Sunglasses", which she performed with a four electric guitar front line up. She didn't write this song, but it does - more whimsically - cover a somewhat similar theme to Cry Pretty, in that it focuses on artists hiding their feelings in public. In earlier performances for the Country shows, she played it as light satire, with the glasses widely used as props by performers and audiences. In this performance, she played it more seriously, emphasizing .the metaphors that it is loaded with. It's never been my favourite cut from the album - but I think this suited the atmosphere of this show (where she's performed before). Her stage look, in a short embroidered black dress, was one of her most effective, and (like Carrie) she's going for longer hair.

The show is broadcast internationally - but we only got that one song. She also performed "Ugly Lights" (but I'm not sure if that was just for the studio audience, or whether it was part of the US broadcast). Over here, we got Seth announcing it, but the broadcast cut to a melange of snippets on Trump's unfortunate excursions into UK and German politics. I would have rather "Ugly Lights" (a Miranda co-write with Liz Rose and Natalie Hemby) had been featured instead of the more often performed "Pink Sunglasses"- it is one of the boldest and most uncompromising themes on the album, and one that few other artists would probably risk.it is on You Tube, from the show, as a 'digital exclusive'

Smokyiiis

I got totally turned off when I saw pics of her holding hands in New York City with the married man. I don't know why stuff like that has such an affect on the way I look at an artist, but it does. And then I stop following them.

Farawayhills

An emotionally charged moment, on the Bandwagon Tour, as Miranda sung "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man", in tribute to the great Aretha Franklin last night, in Buffalo, NY
(Danny Mitchell on piano, Gwen Sebastian, backing vocal. Credit to Belinda Meek for the unofficial video)

lizcarlo

An emotionally charged moment, on the Bandwagon Tour, as Miranda sung "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man", in tribute to the great Aretha Franklin last night, in Buffalo, NY
(Danny Mitchell on piano, Gwen Sebastian, backing vocal. Credit to Belinda Meek for the unofficial video)

That was a nice tribute.

Farawayhills

A quote from Miranda about Aretha (thanks to RandaLourita for the reference)

´´She was my moms hero. She just had such a message and such a powerful voice. There will never be another. Aretha was my earliest musical memory, one of the first (songs) I’ve heard in my life. I just remember how it moved my mama so then it moved me. Even at a tiny age.´´[/i]