Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miranda Lambert - Wildcard Era

BlownAway14

Based on this argument, Blake should be selling much more than Miranda since he's the "star". However, his last album debuted with 66k, which is not a lot from Wildcard's projected sales. It's almost the same bracket. Also, if you compare sales of their first albums after the divorce, Miranda sold more than Blake: TWOTW is Platinum while IIH is Gold. Blake's album after that one, released in 2017, hasn't even gone Gold uptil now. I'm sure Wildcard will at least go Gold. So I think it's fair to say that Miranda's low sales (which I think aren't really low because sales are at an all-time low across all genres) are attributed to other factors than her divorce from Blake.

If her sales are lower this time it's because she didn't really promoted Out In The Wash and released half the album before the album dropped so people forgot about it and weren't interested in this album.

Farawayhills

Let's just say sales (as a topic for judgment of an artist or comparison between artists) are of greater significance to some music fans than to others, Personally, I'm more interested in the nature and quality of the music, regardless of its level of market penetration. Both approaches are fine - each to their own!

On the general topic of Blake and Miranda, I'll just say that attempts to present them as a power couple (along the lines of Dolly and Porter, Tammy and George, Johnny and June, etc) could only have limited success, because they seldom collaborated together, either in writing or in performance. There were a few exceptions (the best known being "Over You", which was inspired by the childhood death of Blake's brother), but, in general, their musical styles and aims weren't very similar, and most of the time they followed separate artistic paths. This seems to have been a significant element in their eventual separation. Miranda's song "Holding Onto You" seems to have been an idealized plea for returning to a loved one after touring - but Blake seemed to be increasingly absorbed in his TV role and their meetings seemed to become less frequent. With hindsight, some of the songs on the Platinum album seem to refer to the strains in the marriage. To some fans at least, Miranda's health and appearance seemed to improve noticeably after the break up. I know there are fans who miss the days of the "power couple " - but, with all due respect, I can't say I'm one of them.

lizcarlo

Miranda has always had her own stamp on county music. She was well liked and had her niche before Blake. I also don’t miss the power couple. Miranda is amazing on her own and is making her own mark in country music.

Sales are down for everyone. She also released a good portion of her music before Wildcard album was dropped.

Farawayhills

Miranda has discussed some of her duets in a video. Much of it is shows the fun she had, and is typically self-deprecating about her relationship with the singing partners. But I think it also shows the underlying seriousness in her professional approach to learning from the work she does with people she considers her idols. The video lasts about 9 minutes, and covers Loretta Lynn, Keith Urban, Carrie, Patty Loveless and George Strait. For those who might not want to watch it through, I'll include a transcript of the Carrie part:

"That's bad ass! So bad ass!
This song is about two girls that are up to no good.
So I e-mailed her and asked her if she wanted to sing on a song. I asked her and then I didn't hear from her for a couple of days, so I thought, well she hates it! Then she wrote me back with this long elaborate e-mail saying it was a great idea.
I'm a different sort of singer from Carrie. She's kind of unstoppable - there's no note that she can't hit. That's the reason I wanted to sing with her - I feel like if you surround yourself with people who are better than you, then maybe you'll get better!
I'm such a fan of hers, I respect her so much - so when she came in I and my producer and all of us were a little nervous. Here comes this powerhouse singer, you know? We were in two separate booths, and, of course, she walks in, opens her mouth and nails it, fist take! I'm like OK, that's fine - and I have to take like two more hours doing my part! But she's such a total pro - like one of the most epic voices in Country Music history, I think.
We decided to go out to dinner and decide on a video. I thought that would be such an important part of a collaboration of two female Country singers - we had to do a video, obviously. She e-mailed me a couple of days later with this entire treatment, that was so elaborate, I couldn't believe it! Trey Fanjoy is a friend of mine and a trusted video director, who's done almost all my videos, and she had worked with Carrie. So she and Carrie just homed in on this treatment - and I'm like, I'm just here for the make-up and the helicopters, y'all go ahead! I mean ,it was incredible - one of the most epic videos I've been a part of."

jaymiee

Wow didnt know Carrie was involved that much in the video... I wonder why she can't get the same treatment for her own videos? Budget issues?

Zman312

Wow didnt know Carrie was involved that much in the video... I wonder why she can't get the same treatment for her own videos? Budget issues?
Yes, Carrie credited for the story line of the video.

I must say that i am very grateful for Miranda such appraisals of Carrie. I think she sees how hard Carrie works and is not getting that recognitions. Thank you Miranda!

lizcarlo

Miranda has discussed some of her duets in a video. Much of it is shows the fun she had, and is typically self-deprecating about her relationship with the singing partners. But I think it also shows the underlying seriousness in her professional approach to learning from the work she does with people she considers her idols. The video lasts about 9 minutes, and covers Loretta Lynn, Keith Urban, Carrie, Patty Loveless and George Strait. For those who might not want to watch it through, I'll include a transcript of the Carrie part:

"That's bad ass! So bad ass!
This song is about two girls that are up to no good.
So I e-mailed her and asked her if she wanted to sing on a song. I asked her and then I didn't hear from her for a couple of days, so I thought, well she hates it! Then she wrote me back with this long elaborate e-mail saying it was a great idea.
I'm a different sort of singer from Carrie. She's kind of unstoppable - there's no note that she can't hit. That's the reason I wanted to sing with her - I feel like if you surround yourself with people who are better than you, then maybe you'll get better!
I'm such a fan of hers, I respect her so much - so when she came in I and my producer and all of us were a little nervous. Here comes this powerhouse singer, you know? We were in two separate booths, and, of course, she walks in, opens her mouth and nails it, fist take! I'm like OK, that's fine - and I have to take like two more hours doing my part! But she's such a total pro - like one of the most epic voices in Country Music history, I think.
We decided to go out to dinner and decide on a video. I thought that would be such an important part of a collaboration of two female Country singers - we had to do a video, obviously. She e-mailed me a couple of days later with this entire treatment, that was so elaborate, I couldn't believe it! Trey Fanjoy is a friend of mine and a trusted video director, who's done almost all my videos, and she had worked with Carrie. So she and Carrie just homed in on this treatment - and I'm like, I'm just here for the make-up and the helicopters, y'all go ahead! I mean ,it was incredible - one of the most epic videos I've been a part of."

Like hearing her talk about music thanks for posting. I LOVE Dear Diamond so loved hearing her talk about the song. Miranda is such cheerleader of Carrie hard work and talent its very sweet.

Farawayhills

Details on how videos are made (beyond the name of the director) are not usually readily available. Generally, there are two basic models - one (probably the most common) is where the record label pays for the video, appointing a producer to handle things like locations, crew, props, etc. The other is where the artist pays for more of the budget and therefore exercises more of the control. There are a number of factors that suggest to me (though I don't know for sure) that Miranda herself undertakes quite a bit of the responsibility for putting out the videos. One is the unusual level of career control that she had from the beginning, from John Grady's second offer, when she turned down the first conventional deal offered. Another is the apparently more haphazard and sporadic promotion that Sony give to her singles (which gives the impression of being the downside to the artistic freedom she's given - in the sense that some of her singles may not be of so much interest to the label). Another is the fact that she has used the same director, Trey Fanjoy, 16 times - implying a high degree of trust - while record labels often experiment with a wider range of directors, more determined by the theme. Also some of the videos (Little Red Wagon & All Kinds of Kinds, for example) include aspects that don't suggest to me the approach that a major record label would typically go for. I suspect that Miranda has also had support for her videos from Carnival Music (Frank Liddell's company) and Shopkeeper (her management company)

In Carrie's case, it's probably more difficult to see a pattern in her videos. There have been more directors involved. Randee St Nicholas has been used most - but not to anything like the extent of 16 shootings. Some of the videos use quite elaborate story lines (Little Toy Guns, Blown Away, for example). Others seem more randomly planned. It's clear that Carrie really went full tilt on "Something Bad", with a comprehensive story board of her own, and a writing credit - but that may reflect the circumstances of the freedom available, with Frank's very fluid production values and Miranda prepared to let her go ahead, with her favourite director. Recent Carrie videos where I suspect she had a personal input include "Smoke Break", where the placing of women in traditional male roles seems to reflect a key priority she's highlighted recently, and "Cry Pretty", where both the personal aspect of the professional pressures, and the abstract whirling of the finish seemed, like the album, to be bold and innovative. But, overall, I don't get the feeling that she has consistently exercised the same amount of videography input that she showed in "Something Bad", across most of her own music videos - or, if she does, she's experimenting widely and hasn't settled on an overall style yet. It may be that she has tended to prefer to trust the marketing instincts of the label in that area. Maybe that was a feature of the circumstances at Sony, and the move will give her more scope to develop that role more fully.