Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News On Backlash To BB Asinine Rule Changes

Schrodinger

We are venting right now, but's to the choir. Let's post all the articles, blogs, tweets that think BB is full of ****. Especially anyone inside Nashville.

liz278

Yeah, B Werde is not what I would call someone who will be honest about what brought about the changes. He is not a CU fan and has made that abundantly clear in his reviews of CU and his reviews of TS. So, I don't expect much from that chat. I think the only thing that will change the way people look at the chart is if the Nashville establishment to not view the new chart as anything other than a way to keep TS in country so she can still get the awards that she so needs to get to make her feel loved. (sad really) I really LOVE Carrie's view of awards that they are nice but aren't why she sings. She will sing as long as we her fans will go out to see her sing and buy her records.

gaycarebear

^I'm looking forward to what Jessica has to say as she is usually pretty honest about what she thinks. Plus, I hope she has other industry insiders on the panel, as that typically is the case with the other panels I've seen from her.

liz278

^I'm looking forward to what Jessica has to say as she is usually pretty honest about what she thinks. Plus, I hope she has other industry insiders on the panel, as that typically is the case with the other panels I've seen from her.

Good, I hope so. I can't stand bwerde! :)

Jae

That's funny because Jessica Northey is a big supporter of Miranda. I wonder how she'll feel about her never getting a BB Country Songs number 1 ever again since Miranda has neither the in-format airplay, cross over airplay nor the sales.

Farawayhills

I still don't think there's any useful mileage in approaching this as a Carrie versus Taylor issue. As Shrodinger says - that's venting to the choir. Few people outside specific fan bases are going to worry unduly about whether artist X overtakes artist Y. or see that as a reason for opposing a change in the chart structure.
So far, the only strong point of criticism that I've seen is that radio play in non-Country formats is going to be used to add to one of the Country chart calculations. That is a serious point - because it benefits artists and song styles with appeal, or strong promortion in other sectors, to the potential disadvantage of those who focus more directly on Country - either stylistically, or in terms of their promotion. To take potential examples - it could deter artists from concentrating on venues like the Opry (which have little awareness or resonance outside the sector); it could convince them to use more non-Country songwriters like Max Martin; it could encourage them to choose more Pop figures to duet or appear with; it could persuade them to play down the "twang" factor (fiddles, banjos, steel) in their music.

All those are worth discussing - and there must be other similar points. But I can't see how repeated tweets about it all being "love for Taylor" is going to convince many outsiders that it's anything but partisan rivalry.

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher
I still don't think there's any useful mileage in approaching this as a Carrie versus Taylor issue. As Shrodinger says - that's venting to the choir. Few people outside specific fan bases are going to worry unduly about whether artist X overtakes artist Y. or see that as a reason for opposing a change in the chart structure.
So far, the only strong point of criticism that I've seen is that radio play in non-Country formats is going to be used to add to one of the Country chart calculations. That is a serious point - because it benefits artists and song styles with appeal, or strong promortion in other sectors, to the potential disadvantage of those who focus more directly on Country - either stylistically, or in terms of their promotion. To take potential examples - it could deter artists from concentrating on venues like the Opry (which have littlre awareness or resonance outside the sector); it could convince them to use more non-Country songwriters like Max Martin; it could encourage them to choose more Pop figures to duet or appear with; it could persuade them to play down the "twang" factor (fiddles, banjos, steel) in their music.

All those are worth discussing - and there must be other similar points. But I can't see how repeated tweets about it all being "love for Taylor" is going to convince many outsiders that it's anything but partisan rivalry.

This certainly is not a "Taylor vs Carrie" thing. Carrie is one of the few artists that may be able to challenge Taylor under certain circumstances. There are many others that have zero chance of challenging Taylor due to weak sales and no crossover potential.

sco

So far, the only strong point of criticism that I've seen is that radio play in non-Country formats is going to be used to add to one of the Country chart calculations. That is a serious point - because it benefits artists and song styles with appeal, or strong promortion in other sectors, to the potential disadvantage of those who focus more directly on Country - either stylistically, or in terms of their promotion. To take potential examples - it could deter artists from concentrating on venues like the Opry (which have littlre awareness or resonance outside the sector); it could convince them to use more non-Country songwriters like Max Martin; it could encourage them to choose more Pop figures to duet or appear with; it could persuade them to play down the "twang" factor (fiddles, banjos, steel) in their music.

You make a very good point. The issue is not that it benefits any one artist. The issue is that is benefits crossover over traditional country artists and loyalty to the genre. Coming across as the "we hate Taylor" crowd appears childish and is counterproductive to the discussion. Let's face it, Carrie isn't the one most hurt by this change (other than the unfortunate timing as her song was poised to be number 1). She has strong digital sales and decent crossover success. As has been pointed out elsewhere, artists like George Strait will never see anywhere near the top of this new chart and that is just wrong. In my mind it's not a matter of whats "fair" or "just" its simply a matter of what is an accurate reflection of the "country" market. If genre doesn't matter then why have separate charts at all?

AdamJ

I agree with faraway that this is NOT a Carrie vs Taylor battle. It is most definitely about the effects it will have on other country artists that do not have the potential for crossovers and will not be played on pop radio at all. Carrie is not played on pop enough to boost her chart numbers on this chart unless she does a strictly pop song without the country twang. No matter how many people say some of Carrie's songs are pop---she still sounds very much country. I do not believe she will ever remix her songs to pop. If they crossover it will be as they were recorded---COUNTRY.

Claire2004

Will this drive more artists to go for remixing to achieve crossover success? Seems like the only way you can chart high in this new BB method is to crossover.

gaycarebear

OK. I took a screenshot of a convo on Twitter...but that photo is bigger than that...how do I resize on here? Haha.

thunder92

I think a big reason they did it was because of the politics in the airplay chart. But I would rather have the politics than have a chart with non-country songs on it any day

Farawayhills

Will this drive more artists to go for remixing to achieve crossover success? Seems like the only way you can chart high in this new BB method is to crossover.

That could be so - one of my concerns is that artists who don't want to remix, or promote to Pop stations will come under increased pressure to do so. I think Carrie is in a strong enough position to do what she thinks is best, but others - especially those uncertain of their position with their label, might be sucked into taking a promotional or stylistic path they're not really happy with.

However, this change is not all about a Pop takeover. Some artists, especially in the lower reaches of the charts, do much better in digital sales and streaming than they do on radio - and this change could help them.
Also crossovers aren't all bad. Alison Krauss, for example does well on AC and AAA radio, but is seldom played on Mainstream Country radio. Few could deny she deserves recognition - both for her traditional and for her innovative work.

Eder Rodrigues

Well, this new country songs chart is basically the Hot 100 only with country artists. A country song suffers to go Top 20 on Hot 100, because the streamings are very low for this genre.

The problems with this new methodology are:
a) They should only use country airplay. It's not fair use airplay from other formats.
b) Songs categorized as country can easilly be #1 if it sells well, regardless of artist's genre.

I don't think they will change this. Honestly, they doesn't seem to care.

Schrodinger

Does anybody know David Wild well enough ‏to tweet him and ask his opinion. Would love to know it -- in Dream mode maybe an article for RS, the editors would spike it but an article on this in Rolling Stone would be interesting.

Now I need to go find a website that sells famous peoples' hair, blood and clothing need a bit of each of Werde's ...I have a doll to make:mad::mad: