Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News On Backlash To BB Asinine Rule Changes

sco

But the point is-- no one directly accused Bill Werde of taking bribes nor did anyone personally attack anyone.

You are a Taylor fan so of course the rule seems great to you. But to most country fans, it sucks, and none of it makes sense.

Those two points are simply factually incorrect. Both Bill and Jessica said that they were personally attacked. I personally saw several accusations of bribery, one of our own regular posters admits to going over the top. It happened. Nobody is perfect and sometimes emotions get the best of people. All I'm asking is that going forward the discussion be kept professional.

I am not a Taylor fan. Im at least twenty years past her target market. I don't own a single one of her records and my kids can attest to the fact that I turn her off when she comes on the radio. I just don't approve of personal attacks on somebody who's only crime is being hugely successful.

judes

Those two points are simply factually incorrect. Both Bill and Jessica said that they were personally attacked. I personally saw several accusations of bribery, one of our own regular posters admits to going over the top. It happened. Nobody is perfect and sometimes emotions get the best of people. All I'm asking is that going forward the discussion be kept professional.

I am not a Taylor fan. Im at least twenty years past her target market. I don't own a single one of her records and my kids can attest to the fact that I turn her off when she comes on the radio. I just don't approve of personal attacks on somebody who's only crime is being hugely successful.

Except the threats were against Billboard - not Taylor and the opposition to what Billboard is doing goes beyond Taylor - it may have been initiated by Scott Borchetta to coincide with Taylor's album release but it was BIllboards decision - like Werde says we are the music Gods bow at our feet, please, we will make these changes regardless of whether it's good for music, and what is music? some noises on plastic? genres? what are those? let's just have one music genre meatloaf

sco

Except the threats were against Billboard - not Taylor and the opposition to what Billboard is doing goes beyond Taylor - it may have been initiated by Scott Borchetta to coincide with Taylor's album release but it was BIllboards decision - like Werde says we are the music Gods bow at our feet, please, we will make these changes regardless of whether it's good for music, and what is music? some noises on plastic? genres? what are those? let's just have one music genre meatloaf

That assessment is correct. The issue is not about Taylor about Carrie. Quite frankly in my opinion neither one of them are important enough in the grand scheme of things to dictate a change of this magnitude that affects the charts for all genres. I personally think the idea that it was initiated by Borchetta to help Taylor when she clearly doesn't need any help is ridiculous but if you want to believe that go ahead. Trying to make that point in discussion with Billboard will immediately make them defensive and they will dismiss any other arguments. The valid argument is that the new system favors crossover artists and takes away the genre specific audience power to dictate what they accept for any given genre. I think that is inaccurate and unfair. That argument can be made without any accusations of lack of integrity on their part.

judes

Our opinions differ, Taylor does need the help - her career has been built on hype and stunts of this nature, but that's another topic. .

rainbow1

I just read something I didn't know, in an Okla paper. An article about Garth Brooks and his possible comeback. The last paragraph: Scott Borchetta, who as head of Big Machine Label Group put out Brooks' last platinum selling greatest hits package, said there remains a hunger to see Brooks on stage. "I can tell you I don't think Garth is done by any stretch of the imagination," Borchetta said.

So it seems, that SB has lots more in mind.

clh_hilary

As a side note had outside-format airplay not been counted (Meaning: With all-genre streaming, all-genre sales and Country airplay counted only), "Blown Away" would've been #1 on the Hot Country Songs this week.

teesharky

Exactly! Carrie was robbed of a number one and not one person answered my question as to the suspicious timing oc the rule change- the very week carrie was to get number one -- and conveniently two weeks before taylors album drops to give her maximum buzz hype and press with all her fake number ones.

Not one person could answer my question about why they did not wait till the new Billboard calendar year in November. The chart year ends in a few weeks anyway so why mess up chart right before calendar year ends? What was the rush? Why did the change get moved up conveniently a few weeks just to screw carrie and help taylor??

no one answered my question and i asked it like 5 times. They know they are guilty.

cyberzoney

I don't want us to hurt Carrie, or her chances on the CMA's. She was hurt once before and we would feel terrible if we had anything to do with it happening again. She is doing everything right. Now, we have to. They know exactly what we think and we are not going to convince them any time soon, to change their minds. In the chat, Jessica N said she had never gotten such awful things said to her. We are frustrated and angry...but we need to lay it down for awhile. Like Tee says, wait until it happens to Miranda or Luke or someone. Then they will hear from them. Nashville has been quiet, we don't know what they are thinking. They may have a plan...we don't want to mess it up.

And we sure don't want people leaving CF over this. JMO

I listened to the entire Werde interview. He stated that the music industry moguls all knew about this change and had favorable input. This happened months before it was implemented. If he is correct, and I suspect that he is on this point, then it explains why we are not hearing anything from Nashville. To them, it was expected and apparently supported.

Carrie&Taylor

I listened to the entire Werde interview. He stated that the music industry moguls all knew about this change and had favorable input. This happened months before it was implemented. If he is correct, and I suspect that he is on this point, then it explains why we are not hearing anything from Nashville. To them, it was expected and apparently supported.

That's what he says. He is saying they support it. But how true is that?

gaycarebear

There was another blurb about this rule in a new Ask Billboard feature:

Hi Ricky,

Glad you - and many other readers - appreciate the increased accuracy of Billboard's Country, Rock, R&B/Hip-Hop and Latin Songs charts now that they include SoundScan sales and Nielsen BDS streaming, in addition to BDS airplay that previously infused them. (By the way, even though Taylor Swift keeps Carrie Underwood out of the top spot on Country Songs this week, had a hybrid chart existed on April 4, 2009, Underwood's "I Told You So" would've reigned, powered by sales (126,000) following her performance of it, with Randy Travis, on "American Idol." Instead, on the then-airplay-only chart, it peaked at No. 2).

Ask Billboard: The Twitter-Sized Edition - Chart Beat | Billboard

thunder92

As a side note had outside-format airplay not been counted (Meaning: With all-genre streaming, all-genre sales and Country airplay counted only), "Blown Away" would've been #1 on the Hot Country Songs this week.

Exactly. Thats the point I have been trying to stress. When I asked that BB dude why outside airplay counts he said "because its for the most popular country song." No its not. Its only being played on pop radio with a pop (regular) version.

clh_hilary

There was another blurb about this rule in a new Ask Billboard feature:

Hi Ricky,

Glad you - and many other readers - appreciate the increased accuracy of Billboard's Country, Rock, R&B/Hip-Hop and Latin Songs charts now that they include SoundScan sales and Nielsen BDS streaming, in addition to BDS airplay that previously infused them. (By the way, even though Taylor Swift keeps Carrie Underwood out of the top spot on Country Songs this week, had a hybrid chart existed on April 4, 2009, Underwood's "I Told You So" would've reigned, powered by sales (126,000) following her performance of it, with Randy Travis, on "American Idol." Instead, on the then-airplay-only chart, it peaked at No. 2).

Ask Billboard: The Twitter-Sized Edition - Chart Beat | Billboard

And that'd still have been fair because "I Told You So" received no outside-format airplay and both versions were Country single versions. That was exactly like how Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" would've gone to #1 after CMAs with the massive sales-surge. Need not to mention that particular week on American Idol was Country Week instead of any other Pop weeks as well. But had the new rules been there, ITYS could have been classified as a Gospel #1 hit instead, simply because Randy Travis has been more involved with that side of music community. *rolleyes*

gwade82

Exactly! Carrie was robbed of a number one and not one person answered my question as to the suspicious timing oc the rule change- the very week carrie was to get number one -- and conveniently two weeks before taylors album drops to give her maximum buzz hype and press with all her fake number ones.

Not one person could answer my question about why they did not wait till the new Billboard calendar year in November. The chart year ends in a few weeks anyway so why mess up chart right before calendar year ends? What was the rush? Why did the change get moved up conveniently a few weeks just to screw carrie and help taylor??

no one answered my question and i asked it like 5 times. They know they are guilty.

Guys this is not about Carrie or Taylor. Carrie is the first casualty and Taylor is the first Beneficiary, but this is about power and money. The music industry is a world wide extremely lucrative industry. The real story is , who has the power and what will they do to keep it or who wants the power and what will they do to get it. The power brokers are at work and all the artists are just pawns to be moved around the board. That may sound simple but it is the same with all industry. I also think it is the industries way of relegating the prominent country music back to its old yeehaw days. How dare the country people infringe on our domain. Just one old guys opinion.

carrieidol1

On CMT Insider, the Hit List included the Airplay chart, on which they stated BA is Carrie's 13th #1. They omitted the Hot Country Songs chart, only mentioning it in a story about Taylor Swift which was shown at the beginning of the episode. I don't know yet if they'll continue including the Hot Country Songs chart on the Hit List, but they are definitely making mention of the Airplay Chart, and are using it as at least ONE of the official charts.

Schrodinger

I just did a quick survey of sites that have some backlash on them. The first was a big surprise Major changes to Billboard Country Chart : Martina McBride This is a comment made on the official forum.

Some of these have already been post but here is a collection of the. Interestingly we are now hearing from the rock fans.

Billboard Changes Charting System – Why Crossover Stars Will Benefit From New Billboard Charts

Billboard Chart Rule Change and (gasp) Taylor Swift: Making Music Monotone - PopStopTV.com

Billboard Makes Big Changes to Rock Songs Chart

Fans React as Billboard Changes Charts Formula | Music News | Rolling Stone

Billboard dramatically changes chart methodology for Rock Songs Chart - Tampa Bay rock music | Examiner.com

Meet the New Charts, Worse Than the Old Charts | Music | SPLICETODAY.com

Billboard Changes Country Chart Rules – Everyone But Swift Screwed! | Gloriana Fans | Your Source for Country Band Gloriana

Feature: Billboard's Chart Changes - R.I.P. R&B Music - Music Justice:

Billboard screws over real R&B artists with new rule change… :Toya'z World // Urban Pop Culture at your Beck & Call…

Billboard's New Chart Algorithm Screws Over Real R&B Artists | Brown Sista Online Magazine

How billboard rule changes are killing not only R&B music but all music and disrespecting the fans! « mrLdavis – BRINGING COUTH TO THE COUTHLESS

'Diamonds': Rihanna Hits #1 On R&B Chart / Slips On Hot 100 | ..::That Grape Juice // ThatGrapeJuice.net::.. || Thirsty? I think some of these fans are over the top of Carrie Fans..at least we used terms like pressed whereas whore seems the term of endearment on that site.

Billboard Gives R&B & Rap Artists The Finger With New Rule Change :: The Lava Lizard

I guess my point is we are not alone in either country support or other genre support. Also with that post on Martina's Official site we at least have a crack of realization started. I think it's going to take time but there will be more comments coming, especially after the release of RED. Maybe, after leading the charge should pull back, cool our jets and wait to see what happens.

judes

^^ Wait until next week when 8 of Taylors songs are getting the Clear channel spin deal on all four formats- she may end up #1 on all four genre charts if you think there's a backlash against Taylor now - is there bug spray for this?

carrieismy1idol

As they say, to form good arguments, you need to learn about your enemies :)

I know there's an old adage that could be used here but I can't flipping think of it hahahaha

Bill did say he loved Carrie, whether he was being sincere or not is up for debate. In other news, he blocked me on Twitter. I HAVE ARRIVED hehe ;)

If He Loves Our Girl Then Why Did He Change The Chart Right Before She Was Getting Ready To Have Another #1 Hit? This Is Still Very Fishy To Me.