Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Ryan selected as running mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldyfan

Information on Janna Ryan:

[h=1]Janna Ryan: Five Facts About Paul Ryan's Wife[/h]August 13th, 2012 1:34 PM by Free Britney

Janna Ryan, the wife of U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, has quickly and predictably been thrust into the national spotlight since her husband, a Wisconsin Congressman, was announced as the Republican nominee for Vice President by Mitt Romney.
Here are a few things to know about the 43-year-old Janna:
1. Janna Ryan is 43, and married Paul in 2000. She is stay-at-home mom raising three young children in Wisconsin, Elizabeth, Charles and Samuel (above).
2. Ryan, whose maiden name was Little, grew up in Madill, Oklahoma. Both of her parents spent their careers as successful lawyers in private practice.
A town in Oklahoma, Little City, is named after her family. Like her parents, Janna has a law degree, having graduated from George Washington in 1998.
3. Her family has strong political - and Democratic - connections; Her uncle, David Boren, served as a Democratic governor of Oklahoma and later as its U.S. senator.
Boren's son, Dan Boren, is Janna's cousin and a member of House of Representatives. A Blue Dog Democrat, he has often voted across party lines.
4. Before marrying Paul, Janna was a Washington operative herself, forging an early professional career as a congressional aide and healthcare lobbyist.
Friends describe her as being able to navigate between different worlds - from small-town Oklahoma, where she's from, to prestigious Wellesley College and to D.C., where she is well-versed in complex policy debates.
"She is very comfortable in and around politics. She grew up in a political family, and it comes very naturally to her," said Leslie Belcher, a Washington lobbyist who worked on Capitol Hill with Ryan and was later one of Ryan's bridesmaids.
5. Friends and Romney campaign officials say that while her exact role is unclear, she would undoubtedly be an asset to Romney-Ryan ticket.
"I think she is very relatable," said Missy Edwards, a lobbyist in D.C. who became friends with Ryan when they both worked on Capitol Hill.
"She's from a small town, (with) three young kids, smart, and focused on her family, first."
"They got married eyes wide open, knowing that they wanted to dedicate themselves to public service, and that meant that Janna wouldn't work, and Paul would dedicate himself" to working in Congress, said Jodi Bond, a vice president at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, who has been friends with the Ryans for decades.

Read more celebrity gossip at: Janna Ryan: Five Facts About Paul Ryan's Wife - The Hollywood Gossip

Smokyiiis

You certainly seem to go down some strange paths to make whatever nebulous point it is that you are attempting to get across. So, let me assure you & ease your worried & troubled mind. I am not from California. I live in Arkansas, one of the most discouragingly Republican states in the nation.

Thank the Lord! There's still hope!

rainbow1

Information on Janna Ryan:

[h=1]Janna Ryan: Five Facts About Paul Ryan's Wife[/h]August 13th, 2012 1:34 PM by Free Britney

Janna Ryan, the wife of U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, has quickly and predictably been thrust into the national spotlight since her husband, a Wisconsin Congressman, was announced as the Republican nominee for Vice President by Mitt Romney.
Here are a few things to know about the 43-year-old Janna:
1. Janna Ryan is 43, and married Paul in 2000. She is stay-at-home mom raising three young children in Wisconsin, Elizabeth, Charles and Samuel (above).
2. Ryan, whose maiden name was Little, grew up in Madill, Oklahoma. Both of her parents spent their careers as successful lawyers in private practice.
A town in Oklahoma, Little City, is named after her family. Like her parents, Janna has a law degree, having graduated from George Washington in 1998.
3. Her family has strong political - and Democratic - connections; Her uncle, David Boren, served as a Democratic governor of Oklahoma and later as its U.S. senator.
Boren's son, Dan Boren, is Janna's cousin and a member of House of Representatives. A Blue Dog Democrat, he has often voted across party lines.
4. Before marrying Paul, Janna was a Washington operative herself, forging an early professional career as a congressional aide and healthcare lobbyist.
Friends describe her as being able to navigate between different worlds - from small-town Oklahoma, where she's from, to prestigious Wellesley College and to D.C., where she is well-versed in complex policy debates.
"She is very comfortable in and around politics. She grew up in a political family, and it comes very naturally to her," said Leslie Belcher, a Washington lobbyist who worked on Capitol Hill with Ryan and was later one of Ryan's bridesmaids.
5. Friends and Romney campaign officials say that while her exact role is unclear, she would undoubtedly be an asset to Romney-Ryan ticket.
"I think she is very relatable," said Missy Edwards, a lobbyist in D.C. who became friends with Ryan when they both worked on Capitol Hill.
"She's from a small town, (with) three young kids, smart, and focused on her family, first."
"They got married eyes wide open, knowing that they wanted to dedicate themselves to public service, and that meant that Janna wouldn't work, and Paul would dedicate himself" to working in Congress, said Jodi Bond, a vice president at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, who has been friends with the Ryans for decades.

Read more celebrity gossip at: Janna Ryan: Five Facts About Paul Ryan's Wife - The Hollywood Gossip

Her Uncle, David Boren, is now the President of Oklahoma University. Okla is where Paul does his noodling (fishing With his hands)!

Farawayhills

Mrs Ryan does indeed come from a Democratic family. Dan Boren represents the last slice of Oklahoma still Democrat - the Eastern strip from Muskogee down to the Texas border. He's one of the most Right-leaning of the Democrats in Congress (the Blue Dog coalition combine a generally Conservative position with protection for the vulnerable). He's standing down at this election, to act as policy adviser to the Chickasaw Nation. His father, the former governor is currently a University President. Mr & Mrs Ryan's cross-party political backgrounds are not unprecedented. Arnold Schwarzenegger (Rep) was also married to a Democrat

Smokyiiis

New polls aren't all good news for Obama

In remarks Saturday, Ryan said that Obama programs -- including the stimulus and health care law -- are holding back the economy.
"We've had the worst recovery in 70 years," Ryan said. "We have the largest deficit and the biggest government since World War II. One out of six Americans are in poverty today. ... And the president's answer to this is more crony capitalism, more corporate welfare."

How have those stimulus plans worked out for ya'll?

Smokyiiis

Obama is Not A Leader! You can talk til your blue in the face Ron, but I'm sorry, he is just not leadership material and will never be now. He had no experience whatsoever and his choice for a Vice President has been a farce, a comedy in errors.

This nation needs leadership and this nation needs fiscal responsibility like it never has before and it needs it yesterday

thaifood

New polls aren't all good news for Obama

In remarks Saturday, Ryan said that Obama programs -- including the stimulus and health care law -- are holding back the economy.
"We've had the worst recovery in 70 years," Ryan said. "We have the largest deficit and the biggest government since World War II. One out of six Americans are in poverty today. ... And the president's answer to this is more crony capitalism, more corporate welfare."

How have those stimulus plans worked out for ya'll?

And how would letting Detroit go bankrupt as Mitt suggested have worked for you?

And Corporate Welfare? Good God that is the lifeline of the Republican Party. You are listening to way to much Rush.

Smokyiiis

Actually Ron, I never listen to Rush Limbaugh. Everything comes from books for me. I read and study a lot from both sides. And having done that I know now that we are headed in the direction of the bankrupt European countries if we continue in this direction. We need good leadership to get us out of this fiasco.

Smokyiiis

And how would letting Detroit go bankrupt as Mitt suggested have worked for you?

And Corporate Welfare? Good God that is the lifeline of the Republican Party. You are listening to way to much Rush.

Wow, talk about using the same talking point over and over and over again. How do you intend to pay for everything that you want to do? Do you want to continue down the path of a cradle to grave society? There has never in the history of the US been so many people on welfare programs as there has been since Obama took office. (Almost doubled) If Pelosi had remained as speaker for another term, 7 out of 10 of us would have been drawing from the government in order to subside. I wish that everyone that is currently receiving all of those benefits whilst not even LOOKING for jobs was required to take a drug test as I AM for working to pay for their benefits! PUHLEESE!!!! It just has got to stop.

Okay, I gotta take a break from this - way too sensitive about this issue!

epicamends

All I will say is that it takes more than a few years to get out of the kind of debt America is in. They spent trillions of dollars on the war, and with the recession that happened it's probably going to take decades to recover. Anyone expecting an immediate solution will inevitably be disappointed, no matter who is in office.

epicamends

Paul Ryan would potentially have considerably more influence over the budget if he stayed in the House than he's likely to have if he's elected Vice President. If Mitt Romney doesn't want to go with Ryan's budget ideas, he might hope to work with a less ideologically driven Congress. In practice, a President finds it a lot easier to sideline a VP than a VP does to stop himself being sidelined.

I would agree that a strong reason for Romney to pick Ryan is to energize the Republican Party's Conservative base. Many Conservative Republicans have accepted Romney because he looks at least potentially winnable - but at the same time, they have often not been enthusiastic about him. Ryan, identified as a more ideological Conservative, will appeal to that constituency, and make them more likely to see the ticket as attractive in more than an "anything but Obama" sense. (The main element among staunch Conservatives that the ticket might still find it hard to energize is the Religious Right - Ryan's admiration for the writings of Ayn Rand has little appeal for Evangelical Fundamentalists, and this is a constituency that leans Republican, but is sometimes difficult to persuade to vote)

Aside from discussing the effect on Conservatives, I agree that the Ryan nomination will have a negative impact on some moderates and undecided voters. People around retirement age are often particularly likely to vote, and these may be alarmed by a possible threat to Medicare and Social Security.

That is likely to tempt Democrats into focusing on Ryan's ideological leanings, and mounting strongly negative attacks. There's a danger in overdoing that, though. The Obama team need to say more about what they'd actually hope to do in a second term - the first term has been relatively disappointing for some of their natural supporters, and getting the vote out always tends to be harder in some of the key Democrat demographic target groups. The ideological negatives of the Ryan nomination are likely to be have more resonance with the strong DP activists (who are on board already). The undecided voters are the main target People who don't like Romney'Ryan probably won't vote for them - but that's not the same as saying they will vote for Obama. To get them on board, he'll need a strong positive message as well.
I totally agree. I wish American politics would focus more on working together for the common good of the country and less on each side attacking each other. I don't think that serves anyone particularly well in the end. I can't count the number of people I've seen complaining about all the attack ads on radio/tv/etc. I fear it will jut frustrate people so much that they won't even bother to vote. The attacks also seem to encourage too much fighting and negativity among American voters who may be on opposite sides, which I find sad to see.

I suppose this is a consequence of having only two major parties, but still. I hope in the end people can try to see past their differences and work together for a common goal.

Farawayhills

I totally agree. I wish American politics would focus more on working together for the common good of the country and less on each side attacking each other. I don't think that serves anyone particularly well in the end. I can't count the number of people I've seen complaining about all the attack ads on radio/tv/etc. I fear it will jut frustrate people so much that they won't even bother to vote. The attacks also seem to encourage too much fighting and negativity among American voters who may be on opposite sides, which I find sad to see.

I suppose this is a consequence of having only two major parties, but still. I hope in the end people can try to see past their differences and work together for a common goal.

Paul Martin, your former Federal PM and finance minister, gave an interview on TV here in which he seemed to talk quite a lot of sense about overcoming deficits.
At present, we have a coalition government of Conservatives and Liberals, which is trying to implement deficit cutting measures. There's obvious strain between the parties, but the coalition is likely to hold until a few months before the next election, when they'll probably separate to clarify their own platforms. The problem is the Liberals (the smaller partner) will probably take the main electoral blame for keeping an unpopular government in power, while the Conservatives will claim that they would have done better if the Liberals hadn't held them back. Meanwhile Labour,, who have few apparent ideas, will probably grow in popularity for staying in opposition. Coalitions are unusual here - this is the first since 1945.

nanna05

Wow, talk about using the same talking point over and over and over again. How do you intend to pay for everything that you want to do? Do you want to continue down the path of a cradle to grave society? There has never in the history of the US been so many people on welfare programs as there has been since Obama took office. (Almost doubled) If Pelosi had remained as speaker for another term, 7 out of 10 of us would have been drawing from the government in order to subside. I wish that everyone that is currently receiving all of those benefits whilst not even LOOKING for jobs was required to take a drug test as I AM for working to pay for their benefits! PUHLEESE!!!! It just has got to stop.

Okay, I gotta take a break from this - way too sensitive about this issue!

I agree with you smokiis, I just don't see how we are going to sustain this debt especially if less businesses are paying taxes. History has proven if taxes raise too high on business they will pack up and move somewhere that they can make a profit, I agree with Ryan's tax plan that sets lower rates across the board then small businesses will have money to put back in their businesses. His plan to cut loop holes for the rich ( talking about Buffett, Streisand, Obama, Reid, Romney, and all the hollywood rich folks) would be paying their fair share indeed. Without closing those loopholes they will continue to pay less tax. That's the irony of their talking points. If they aren't closed it will not make any difference.
Another misconception is that billions of dollars will be taken out of Medicare to fund ObamaCare. Medicare is going broke now, it simply can't sustain that kind of hit. This is not a talking point, this is in the Affordable Care Act that Obama passed. Just read it and prove me wrong Ron. You can't because it's in black and white. Most Americans don't know it and won't until it's too late. It's all been kept secretive in order to pass it.

Think about this, you start out down the road with 50 people pulling a huge wagon full of life sustaining food. Everyone benefits from it moving from one city to the other working to refill the wagon with needed supplies and moving on. Eventually only 45 are pulling the wagon because 5 have decided they are too tired to pull. The next stop proves to be a rocky road and 10 more people decide they are going to ride cause the other 5 did for whatever reason and they are tired of this too. Now 35 are pulling the wagon with less food because all the 15 they are pulling have not contributed to the food supply. Eventually they are all in distress because only 5 people are pulling a wagon of 45 people who are not contributing to the labor resulting in no spoils or food. If everyone jumps on the wagon there will be no one left to pull it.

gran29

Great comparison, Nanna. It amazes me that people trash something they don't bother to read to find out the truth. Ryan's plan won't gut Medicare. People will have a choice of the existing plan or the new voucher plan. People need to set their brains in motion before their fingers start typing. I was going to stay out of this because it's a volatile subject for me. But reading some of these posts wouldn't let me stay quiet any longer.

thaifood

Great comparison, Nanna. It amazes me that people trash something they don't bother to read to find out the truth. Ryan's plan won't gut Medicare. People will have a choice of the existing plan or the new voucher plan. People need to set their brains in motion before their fingers start typing. I was going to stay out of this because it's a volatile subject for me. But reading some of these posts wouldn't let me stay quiet any longer.

I must say it's a pretty arrogant attitude to take to assume that you are the only one that reads anything before forming an opinion.

Let's just suppose the Ryan Medicare voucher system is put into place & you are given $6,000 - $8,000 to purchase insurance. And let's just suppose that you have a heart condition or any other pre existing condition. How many insurance companies do you think are going to step up to the plate & cover you for that amount of money? You are going to be out of pockedt before you ever get into treatment.

Hey Nanna,

Perhaps we could load your wagon with just 1 person & let the other 99 push him around while he gets fat & sassy.

nanna05

Yes I know that is why it is so scary to me. Some tend to repeat talking points or the beliefs of their freinds and they don't really reseach facts. If they say "Ryan's plan will end Medicare as we know it"enough people will believe it. Or that's what they are betting on. I'm like you I research both sides and have no reservations about telling it like it is no matter which side is wrong.

JB172

If BOTH parties spent as much time working together as they DO b!tching at each other things WOULD get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.