Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possibly NO MORE SINGLES From "Play On"

CarrieFan928

I think I remember reading that Kelly was locked in for 6 albums while the following AI winners had 5 in their contracts.

Pi314CA

Humm, 5 to 7 albums for a contract. That would equate to about a 10-yr contract, which seems like a huge commitment by the artist. Perhaps the artist does not have much leverage as it seems that the label can drop the artist if the album(s) are not well received (e.g. Hicks).

lab

Humm, 5 to 7 albums for a contract. That would equate to about a 10-yr contract, which seems like a huge commitment by the artist. Perhaps the artist does not have much leverage as it seems that the label can drop the artist if the album(s) are not well received (e.g. Hicks).

I agree with you. That LENGTH of term of THAT KIND of contract is UNREALISTIC for an ARTIST LIKE CARRIE WHO HAD "A PHENOMENAL SUCCESS IN SOME HEARTS ALBUM, FIRST ALBUM". Kelly Clarkson's contract will be different from Carrie. FIRST, "Thankful", which is Kelly's first album is NOT PHENOMENAL, but, the second album "Breakaway" is PHENOMENAL. They renew the contract (A TWO ALBUM CONTRACT) after the release of the first album and the NEW "AMERICAN IDOL OF THE SEASON" WILL GET ONE MILLION US DOLLARS FROM "19 ENTERTAINMENT LIMITED" FOR THE TWO ALBUMS, WHETHER OR NOT, THEY WILL HAVE A SECOND ALBUM PROJECT OR NOT. If the album sells well, the label will exercise it's options based on the success of the first album and in RENEWING THE CONTRACT, the label will TYPICALLY AFFORD a number of options like that the label can exercise its options in the SUBSEQUENT CONTRACT AND ADDITIONAL ALBUMS. If the album does not do well, the label may drop the artist (Taylor Hicks, AROUND 900,000 ALBUMS SOLD, estimate) "unless" the label "SEES ENOUGH POTENTIAL TO WARRANT ANOTHER ALBUM, (800,000 ALBUMS SOLD FOR "MY DECEMBER" OF KELLY CLARKSON). That is the reason why "Kelly Clarkson" HAD HER FOURTH ALBUM and Taylor Hicks was dropped from the label.

The structure of the contract FAVORS THE LABELS OVER THE ARTISTS. The logic behind this structure is that, if an artist does well, THEN THE LABEL WANTS TO REAP THE BENEFITS OF THEIR "INVESTMENT" in that artist and share in the success OVER THE LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

A SUCCESSFUL ARTIST LIKE "CARRIE AND HER SOME HEARTS ALBUM" ...... "CAN AND SHOULD" to the extent possible attempt to negotiate terms that allow flexibility and the ABILITY TO RE-NEGOTIATE, SHOULD THE ARTIST HAVE A SUCCESSFUL ALBUM. The opportunity to revisit the agreement benefits the artist, INSTEAD, of being locked in for a long period of time, and many labels would welcome the opportunity to RE-NEGOTIATE TO KEEP A SUCCESSFUL ARTIST HAPPY. And MY THEORY is, "Simon Fuller and Carrie" DID THAT, and decided to move on with "UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP, INC.", THE LARGEST RECORDING COMPANY. And since the CEO OF UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP IS VERY CLOSE TO SIMON FULLER AND WORKING TOGETHER IN SEASON 10 AMERICAN IDOL SHOW ....... "Carrie, Simon Fuller and the CEO OF UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP" can work "EFFECTIVELY AS A TEAM", rather than having Carrie in "Sony Music Entertainment, Nashville" which was A FAILURE IN THE "DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS OF CARRIE'S ALBUM" LIKE "WALMART, TARGET, BEST BUY, etc.". Universal Music Group, Inc. is VERY POWERFUL IN THE DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS OF THE "ARTIST'S ALBUMS".