Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**Prediction time: What will Good Girl be about??**

teesharky

Agree. I would rather that Carrie does more songs like Reba or patty loveless or even Loretta or Trisha.......but no Taylor swift pop drivel please. That would be taking ten steps back not forward.

If it is like Fancy i would love it.

I think "Fancy" is a very good analogy. Carrie easily has the talent, the feel for a song, and the stage presence for it. If the

song's in that league, it should take the Country critics and fans by storm.

When I saw the "darker" and "taking her to the next level" comments that was actually what I thought they might mean - including some songs that put Carrie's repertoire a little closer to artists like Bobbie Lee Gentry, Trisha Yearwood or Patty Loveless

(I'm sure the album will be varied - but I can't really see how going closer to Pop, or Taylor Swift's market is "taking her to the next level". I think we can expect at least a few more mature, edgy songs, maybe closer to classic Country, Southern Gothic, or Country Rock)

teesharky

Yeah the more i think about it I don't want Carrie to go all rihanna with her good girl gone bad thing. But I don't want a song about how great it is to be a good girl as that seems dull.....UNless it is like you guys said---- sort of a rockin anthem to strong women who stay good but don't mess with them. Lol

Ie Martina mcbrides song about good women going crazy at neiman Marcus buying shoes when their men treat them bad. Lol. (When god fear in women get the blues).

i hope it's about... good girls also know how to have fun... being a good girl doesn't mean she's boring... she can go out, have fun, be tough, enjoy her life... so there ain't nothing wrong being a good girl... The rock part means it's kind of rebellious... but in a way that it's inspiring girls who have been looked as boring, geeky, dorky, etc. to come out of their shells, have fun, and show everyone that you can party, you can be sexy, you can have fun without becoming naught, hurtful, nasty or anything that makes you bad... so yeah... I'm thinking it's kind of a song directed to women... or it can be a message to men to that tells 'em good girls are better than bad ones...

so i agree in some posts here... I hope it isn't the "everybody says I'm good, but I'm really a bad girl" kind of song... but who knows? it could even be something like "beware of good girls 'cause they destroy your car" song... Ahahaha... :D

gocountrymusic

I don't think it will be necessarily about about a good girl gone bad, but I think will be about Carrie having constantly to be aware of her image and wanting to let down her hair while still maintaining her good girl image. I agree with many that this is gonna be an anthem for many which is a great way to kick off the 4th era

lambo0210

I don't think it will be necessarily about about a good girl gone bad, but I think will be about Carrie having constantly to be aware of her image and wanting to let down her hair while still maintaining her good girl image. I agree with many that this is gonna be an anthem for many which is a great way to kick off the 4th era

Yes, I replied before seeing this but think you hit the nail right on the head.

rcramer

With seeing the version of Bobbie's Fancy, I can see why Reba's version of Fancy is such a signature song for her, she did it so much better, so if Good Girl is a take on something like Fancy, hope it is more like Reba's version...

DaisyTweets

What exactly does Carrie mean when she says 'this album is going to be darker'? Or there will be a few more darker songs???

Manchs

I know I said a few more darker songs in my post -- but what does a darker song mean?????

:p "Something that may surprise some fans is that there are a few darker songs on this album," Carrie tells Entertainment Weekly (quote via CMIL). "I have always been a fan of songs that have attitude, but the ones I'm talking about have a darker storyline. It seemed to be what the album wanted, so I decided to roll with it."

teesharky

Darker can mean sad, serious, introspective etc. Fancy by Reba is a dark song. So is Just a Dream by carrie.

Even when I get where I'm going and whiskey lullaby are dark songs.

Think Alan is morisette meets Allison krauss. Lol

Carrie&Taylor

How about
Tammy Wynette "Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad"

"I've never seen the inside of a Bar Room Or listened to a Jukebox all night long But I see these are the things That bring you pleasure So I'm gonna make some changes in our home

Well I've heard it said if you can't beat 'em join 'em So if that's the way you wanted me to be Well if it takes that to keep you happy From now on you're gonna see a different me

[Chorus] Because your good girl's gonna go bad I'm gonna be the swinginest swinger You've ever had If you like 'em painted up, powdered up, Then you oughta be glad 'cause your good girl's gonna go bad I'll even learn to like the taste of whisky

In fact you'll hardly recognise your wife I'll buy some brand new clothes and dress up fancy For my journey to the wilder side of life

[Chorus] Because your good girl's gonna go bad I'm gonna be the swinginest swinger you ever had If you like 'em painted up, powdered up Then you oughta be glad 'cause your good girl's gonna go Oh yea your good girl's gonna go bad"

supercarriefan

I say it will be about 3 minutes and 30 seconds. :p

Nice prediction, Jim :p.

"Good Girl" could go many different ways. It could be a "good girl gone bad" song as many have suggested. However, I really like the idea, as others have mentioned in a way, about it being a girl who is happy to be considered a good girl, but let's people know that good girls aren't all the negative things people sometimes make them out to be. Basically, a song letting the people know that good girls aren't all that "bad" either lol.
The single cover suggests to me a "good girl gone bad" vibe though, or maybe a good girl letting her hair and having a good time causing a little trouble :p.
"Independence Day" was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I really don't see how it connects to the idea of "Good Girl". "Independence Day" is about domestic violence. I'm also not sure how a song like "Fancy" fits the description either. Yes, it is about a girl who enters prostitution to get out her poor environment, but I don't think of it as a "good girl" kind of song, if that makes sense.
I know Carrie mentioned darker songs, but the way she described "Good Girl" doesn't sound as though it will be one of the darkers songs, but rather a fun, rockin' party song to start the era. IMO, "Good Girl" won't be dark like "Independence Day" or "Fancy", but I would love if Carrie tackled songs like those two on the album.

DaisyTweets

Darker can mean sad, serious, introspective etc. Fancy by Reba is a dark song. So is Just a Dream by carrie.

Even when I get where I'm going and whiskey lullaby are dark songs.

Think Alan is morisette meets Allison krauss. Lol

Thanks Tee! That's what I was thinking but I didn't know if there was more that I perhaps wasn't considering in my definition.

carebear4eva

It's actually interesting cuz the title leaves us with so, SO little!

It could be a very blah song about a good girl who brushes her teeth, goes to church and gets good grades. But that hardly qualifies as a rocking edgy song. And for a 28 year old woman to talk about being a good girl who doesn't do shots or hook-up with strangers...I dunno...seems a little lame to me.

It could be a good girl who is suddenyl thrown into a very unusual situstion for her. That would fit the edgy, rocking, "dance" song bit. But unfortunately that would just be LN all over again. Carrie does repeat song themes, though, so it's quite possible that that could be the story line.

It could be a theme to female empowerment, like som old Martina song, or Kellie Pickler's recent "Tough". It would be like Carrie's AAG personhena meets Miranda Lambert, lol. "I'm a good girl, but if you slap me around, I'll blow your brains out with my two-foot shotgun".

Then, there is the rather cliche storyline of a good girl going bad. Needless to say it's been done to death, but that's no reason to believe the song won't be brilliant in itself. I'm not sure how I'd feel about this kind of a song. The minus side is that it's been done SSOOOOO many times, but by so many different people. But, on the plus side, Carrie hasn't ever done something like this, and it could be a lot of fun to see her sing a song like this. Even in "Last Name" she was insisting that it was a one-time lapse of judgement, and she wants to go back to being Ms. Goody-two-shoes. It could be great fun to see Carrie sing blithely about being bored of the whole deal and wanting to ride a mechanical bull! Someone above posted that it would "ruin Carrie's image". I don't think so. Carrie's image is perfectly secure, and I don't see how a song about being tired of societal norms can tarnish that image.

These are really just a few scenarios. There could be SO many possibilities - a song a mother is singing to her daughter, perhaps?

All I know is, I CAN'T WAIT!

bigbluegrl23

It's actually interesting cuz the title leaves us with so, SO little!

It could be a very blah song about a good girl who brushes her teeth, goes to church and gets good grades. But that hardly qualifies as a rocking edgy song. And for a 28 year old woman to talk about being a good girl who doesn't do shots or hook-up with strangers...I dunno...seems a little lame to me.

It could be a good girl who is suddenyl thrown into a very unusual situstion for her. That would fit the edgy, rocking, "dance" song bit. But unfortunately that would just be LN all over again. Carrie does repeat song themes, though, so it's quite possible that that could be the story line.

It could be a theme to female empowerment, like som old Martina song, or Kellie Pickler's recent "Tough". It would be like Carrie's AAG personhena meets Miranda Lambert, lol. "I'm a good girl, but if you slap me around, I'll blow your brains out with my two-foot shotgun".

Then, there is the rather cliche storyline of a good girl going bad. Needless to say it's been done to death, but that's no reason to believe the song won't be brilliant in itself. I'm not sure how I'd feel about this kind of a song. The minus side is that it's been done SSOOOOO many times, but by so many different people. But, on the plus side, Carrie hasn't ever done something like this, and it could be a lot of fun to see her sing a song like this. Even in "Last Name" she was insisting that it was a one-time lapse of judgement, and she wants to go back to being Ms. Goody-two-shoes. It could be great fun to see Carrie sing blithely about being bored of the whole deal and wanting to ride a mechanical bull! Someone above posted that it would "ruin Carrie's image". I don't think so. Carrie's image is perfectly secure, and I don't see how a song about being tired of societal norms can tarnish that image.

These are really just a few scenarios. There could be SO many possibilities - a song a mother is singing to her daughter, perhaps?

All I know is, I CAN'T WAIT!

It may be done a lot, but i can guarantee you, no one expects it from Carrie Underwood.
Becca

12russ79

Well in our society today it seems that GOOD GIRLS are considered weird and out of touch with modern times.... In other words GOOD GIRLS are BAD GIRLS.... *So the more interesting take is to approach the song from that angle and show that GOOD GIRLS ROCK.....*
Can't wait to hear the song I have a feeling it's gonna be something that shatters all the normal stereotypes.... Of course no matter what it's about as long as its a MASTERPIECE like Carrie says this album is... Then it will be Epic!!!!!

Farawayhills

I'd take "darker" to mean "more serious", less to do with trivial, feel-good topics, ready to address topics that contain themes of sorrow, adversity, powerful emotion, reflection on fate, etc.

Quite a few of the male songs in the Mainstream are certainly not dark - they can be satirized as "good ole boy having a good ole time, while telling everyone they'll never understand how darn good it is to grow up down here" songs. Many Country fans dislike those songs, which they think are trivializing the genre. Shooter Jennings sings on his latest song:
"Hey Pretty Boy, in your baseball cap - couldn't hit Country with a baseball bat"

But Carrie knows about baseball bats - and several of her songs have already been darker - as Tee says, they deal with strong emotions. I think probably she'll have a few more songs with strong, mature themes (if so, that will fit her development as an artist).

Also, don't forget, songwriters and interpretive artists write and sing "in character" to suit the song. Their songs don't just reflect their real life personality. Take the cover art for "Good Girl". That's certainly not an "I'm Miss Apple Pie" picture. It's sultry, but also reflective. The angle of the pose suggests to me someone heading forward, but at the same time looking back. The backward look is rather enigmatic - but if there's an element of regret in it, it's overlaid with an acceptance, that perhaps has a hint of defiance.
Obviously, none of us can know what it means until we hear the song and read the lyrics - but I'd say there is hint of darkness in it