Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**Prediction time: What will Good Girl be about??**

cyberzoney

Maybe it is about a girl with a bad girl image trying to prove/show that deep down she really is a good girl at heart. A slightly different twist, maybe?

teesharky

Very nicely said! :) I agree that the look on carries face in the single photo is a bit mysterious and defiant, yet sultry and almost sassy too. I think she struck that pose for a reason.... and that it says something about the song.

This is definitely not going to be a sweet sappy song as Carrie said it is rocking and upbeat that you can dance too. So i am assuming it is very catchy too.

Carrie also said they wrote this song very fast as it just came to them quickly once destefano started playing around with instruments. So my take from that is that it will be one of the fun tempo driven songs Carrie mentioned but not a dark or serious song. It takes longer to write lyrics for darker introspective songs or story songs then fun tempo driven songs. So i think this will be fun and sassy but not too serious or dark.

Carrie sort of has swagger in that photo so i really do think this could be a powerful anthem song for women but not a sappy sweet diddy....lol. maybe it will be about a good girl who was done wrong but who had strength to rise above it and stay strong? Not sure......

Bit the song will have swagger and sass because carrie does in the photo. Lol

I'd take "darker" to mean "more serious", less to do with trivial, feel-good topics, ready to address topics that contain themes of sorrow, adversity, powerful emotion, reflection on fate, etc.

Quite a few of the male songs in the Mainstream are certainly not dark - they can be satirized as "good ole boy having a good ole time, while telling everyone they'll never understand how darn good it is to grow up down here" songs. Many Country fans dislike those songs, which they think are trivializing the genre. Shooter Jennings sings on his latest song:
"Hey Pretty Boy, in your baseball cap - couldn't hit Country with a baseball bat"

But Carrie knows about baseball bats - and several of her songs have already been darker - as Tee says, they deal with strong emotions. I think probably she'll have a few more songs with strong, mature themes (if so, that will fit her development as an artist).

Also, don't forget, songwriters and interpretive artists write and sing "in character" to suit the song. Their songs don't just reflect their real life personality. Take the cover art for "Good Girl". That's certainly not an "I'm Miss Apple Pie" picture. It's sultry, but also reflective. The angle of the pose suggests to me someone heading forward, but at the same time looking back. The backward look is rather enigmatic - but if there's an element of regret in it, it's overlaid with an acceptance, that perhaps has a hint of defiance.
Obviously, none of us can know what it means until we hear the song and read the lyrics - but I'd say there is hint of darkness in it

carebear4eva

Maybe it is about a girl with a bad girl image trying to prove/show that deep down she really is a good girl at heart. A slightly different twist, maybe?

That's a really interesting idea! I don't think it's very likely, but I would love the idea of a song about someone who's gone down the wrong path, but is in no way happy or proud about it (like so many unfortunate souls are, who think they're "hood" or "cool").

carrieguy2

Take the cover art for "Good Girl". That's certainly not an "I'm Miss Apple Pie" picture. It's sultry, but also reflective. The angle of the pose suggests to me someone heading forward, but at the same time looking back. The backward look is rather enigmatic - but if there's an element of regret in it, it's overlaid with an acceptance, that perhaps has a hint of defiance.

it is amazing the Carrie's incredible beauty and huge artistic talent combined with the imagination of the cover designer and the talent of the photographer combine to make a portrait which contains so many elements and at the same time has so much mystery. of course some of the mystery will be solved when we actually hear the song! :)

Farawayhills

It takes longer to write lyrics for darker introspective songs or story songs then fun tempo driven songs. So i think this will be fun and sassy but not too serious or dark.

Bit the song will have swagger and sass because carrie does in the photo. Lol

That's a good point - you'd certainly expect complex story lines to take longer to work out.
(On the other hand, songwriters often don't go to sessions "without a clue" - they have ideas for songs already worked out, and use the interplay with each other, and the musical suggestions, to put the structure in place. I think Carrie did say she had plenty of snatches and ideas for songs she was working out). Tammy Wynette said something like it took her twenty minutes to write "Stand By Your Man" (with Billy Sherrill) and twenty years to live it down!

The only thing is, the picture doesn't suggest "fun" to me. Maybe a touch of sorrow, combined with disdain and a sense of "I'm not going to be treated this way; I'm a survivor and I'm rising above it"??

Of course, we can all read too much into it (me most of all :) - but it's good to try!) Whatever it means, though, I'm pretty certain the pose is connected with the song theme in some way (and not just, say, the best one from a batch of random general publicity photos). I think there's a definite connection because these photos are designed to attract interest in the song - from fans, journalists, DJs - and that is indeed what's happening!

teesharky

Good point. The photo does not suggest fun. It suggests sassy and defiant sort of. Aahh this is driving me crazy. Lol

Than for that tidbit about Tammy writing Stand by Your Man in 20 minutes. Wow! Talk about a classic song. Lol

That's a good point - you'd certainly expect complex story lines to take longer to work out.
(On the other hand, songwriters often don't go to sessions "without a clue" - they have ideas for songs already worked out, and use the interplay with each other, and the musical suggestions, to put the structure in place. I think Carrie did say she had plenty of snatches and ideas for songs she was working out). Tammy Wynette said something like it took her twenty minutes to write "Stand By Your Man" (with Billy Sherrill) and twenty years to live it down!

The only thing is, the picture doesn't suggest "fun" to me. Maybe a touch of sorrow, combined with disdain and a sense of "I'm not going to be treated this way; I'm a survivor and I'm rising above it"??

Of course, we can all read too much into it (me most of all :) - but it's good to try!) Whatever it means, though, I'm pretty certain the pose is connected with the song theme in some way (and not just, say, the best one from a batch of random general publicity photos). I think there's a definite connection because these photos are designed to attract interest in the song - from fans, journalists, DJs - and that is indeed what's happening!

Ty

I really like this idea. I could easily see it being something like that, too.

And, I don't think the amount of time spent writing matters all that much. There are plenty of 'serious' songs out there that were written in a shorter amount of time. Sometimes things just come quickly.

AdamJ

Like I said before she looks like a good girl with an attitude---and I think the song is going to have plenty of ATTITUDE---ROCKIN IT------------------------------------

Last edited:

Pi314CA

Thank you for your insights. I agree with your comment that this song will contain some kind of positive message. Something that has intrigued me about that GG photo is that "Good Girl" is in very light text as if suggesting that its an internal quality... perhaps despite outward appearances. I can't wait for the lyrics!!!

rainbow1

I keep remembering that she said you can dance to it. That immediately sounds light hearted to me. Or maybe a romp and stomp anthem! We'll see!!

GumbyJRH

How about
Tammy Wynette "Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad"

"I've never seen the inside of a Bar Room Or listened to a Jukebox all night long But I see these are the things That bring you pleasure So I'm gonna make some changes in our home

Well I've heard it said if you can't beat 'em join 'em So if that's the way you wanted me to be Well if it takes that to keep you happy From now on you're gonna see a different me

[Chorus] Because your good girl's gonna go bad I'm gonna be the swinginest swinger You've ever had If you like 'em painted up, powdered up, Then you oughta be glad 'cause your good girl's gonna go bad I'll even learn to like the taste of whisky

In fact you'll hardly recognise your wife I'll buy some brand new clothes and dress up fancy For my journey to the wilder side of life

[Chorus] Because your good girl's gonna go bad I'm gonna be the swinginest swinger you ever had If you like 'em painted up, powdered up Then you oughta be glad 'cause your good girl's gonna go Oh yea your good girl's gonna go bad"

This is what I've been thinking tooooo, :D:D:D

Manchs

It's really funny to see this thread, because there are so many possibilities... this shows how many things the song can be talking about. We really don't know lol

I do know she is going to keep it classy.

liveasong

Honestly, we shouldn't worry that much for "Good Girl". Carrie said that it is going to BLOW US AWAY and we should trust her! Remember when she blew us away with her performance with Steven Tyler at the ACMs? It was so unexpected and brilliant. I expect nothing less from Good Girl :)

My predictions:

1. The song will fly to number one, because it's a Carrie Underwood song.
2. The song will have multiple weeks at #1 if the song is really catchy
3. The song will win several awards if it is well written and has a good story

sur_crazy4carrie

I keep remembering that she said you can dance to it. That immediately sounds light hearted to me. Or maybe a romp and stomp anthem! We'll see!!

Everybody dances to Since U Been Gone. At least it makes everyone jump up and down for three minutes. So it doesn't necessarily have to be lighthearted.