Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11: Blown Away vs. Wine After Whiskey

Round 11: Blown Away vs. Wine After Whiskey

• Blown Away

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Wine After Whiskey

Votes: 37 51.4%

• Total voters

supercarriefan

It's won every single round! Let's let WAW have a chance to shine. ;)

I agree! There is one vote separating us from a tie right now. I just have a feeling someone will swoop in and tip the vote in BA's favor just as Cole is ready to close the poll :p.
I would love to see WAW win this whole thing.

cole

Considering i have 3 or 4 haters on this site, it will likely be one of them who tips the scale. :p i just realized i did NOT put a close date on this poll...uh oh.

Zman312

Considering i have 3 or 4 haters on this site, it will likely be one of them who tips the scale. :p i just realized i did NOT put a close date on this poll...uh oh.

The deadline should be the same amount of time for all the other polls. BA will win and if WAW beats it, then oh well!

Farawayhills

Well, I'm afraid I may crush some people's hopes by casting my vote for BA - but if anyone saw the reservations about WAW I posted in another thread earlier, I guess I'm at least being consistent :(

I do agree that WAW is very well written, and (together with some of the other standout songs) marks a strong advance in Carrie's thematic maturity and lyrical depth. I'd certainly place this song in the best seven on the album - but not up with my top four (GG, TBC, FC, LLA). On a wider comparison, I'd rank this one behind both SWISLY and OW (with which it has some stylistic similarities).
On a very varied album, I think it's a good move to include a song with echoes of the Nashville Neo-traditionalists - but I also feel there are realistic limits to what this can achieve. While it may please some critics, I have doubts if it will go far to convince most Neo-traditionalist fans to accept Carrie's style. In the end, although this has Neo--traditionalist echoes, I think the delivery and general style may still sound too contemporary for that audience (which I suspect is a lost cause)

Although Carrie sings beautifully, and is very versatile as to style. I have reservations about how far this particular style leaves many opportunities for vocal variation and innovation. For me, Carrie's standout vocal touches come at the end, where around 3.20 she introduces a trill in her voice, and follows it with a last, quiet, resigned "after Whiskey". I think many of the chorus passages, though, tempt her to introduce variation by approaching contemporary "power vocals." I don't feel the song fully benefits from that - what I would expect from the lyrics is a more gritty, world-weary delivery.

BA is actually not my favourite cut on this album either, but I think it gives Carrie more opportunity to match interesting and innovative vocal changes to the mood of the lyric. So, while they're both strong songs which are destined to be fan favourites, BA does come across to me as the more memorable.

Zman312

Well, I'm afraid I may crush some people's hopes by casting my vote for BA - but if anyone saw the reservations about WAW I posted in another thread earlier, I guess I'm at least being consistent :(

I do agree that WAW is very well written, and (together with some of the other standout songs) marks a strong advance in Carrie's thematic maturity and lyrical depth. I'd certainly place this song in the best seven on the album - but not up with my top four (GG, TBC, FC, LLA). On a wider comparison, I'd rank this one behind both SWISLY and OW (with which it has some stylistic similarities).
On a very varied album, I think it's a good move to include a song with echoes of the Nashville Neo-traditionalists - but I also feel there are realistic limits to what this can achieve. While it may please some critics, I have doubts if it will go far to convince most Neo-traditionalist fans to accept Carrie's style. In the end, although this has Neo--traditionalist echoes, I think the delivery and general style may still sound too contemporary for that audience (which I suspect is a lost cause)

Although Carrie sings beautifully, and is very versatile as to style. I have reservations about how far this particular style leaves many opportunities for vocal variation and innovation. For me, Carrie's standout vocal touches come at the end, where around 3.20 she introduces a trill in her voice, and follows it with a last, quiet, resigned "after Whiskey". I think many of the chorus passages, though, tempt her to introduce variation by approaching contemporary "power vocals." I don't feel the song fully benefits from that - what I would expect from the lyrics is a more gritty, world-weary delivery.

BA is actually not my favourite cut on this album either, but I think it gives Carrie more opportunity to match interesting and innovative vocal changes to the mood of the lyric. So, while they're both strong songs which are destined to be fan favourites, BA does come across to me as the more memorable.

I love your posts!!!
I love WAW but SWISLY is just a masterpiece. It's a shame it was not released as a single.

Farawayhills

I'm afraid my post might have disappointed some fans - because hopes for WAW are so high. I can certainly understand why people love WAW so much. But I do get the impression, reading some posts, that some fans have a further reason for backing WAW strongly: that the song might go a long way towards establishing Carrie in one of the areas where she hasn't always had so much recognition - as a "traditional" Country singer. I actually don't think Carrie need worry on that count - her Opry performances and her Loretta Lynn and Bob Wills tributes, for example, already show me that she has a love and instinctive feel for all types of Country Music. But, if fans do feel that she needs more recognition from the diehard supporters of classic Nashville Country, I do have doubts about whether WAW would go very far to achieving that.

I'd like to show another song for comparison (not to argue which is better sung, or better written, but just to illustrate stylistic differences - if possible, apart from the fan perspective)

In comparing that song with WAW, I'd like you to keep two questions in mind:
1 Which song is more likely to get heavy radio play?
2. Which song is more likely to appeal to the Classic Purists?

If your answer to both questions is the same, then I'm probably worrying unnecessarily. But my own answers would have been different. I think Carrie's styling on WAW is beautiful - but still too contemporary in feel to make a real impact on the Purist audience. I think that, whatever Carrie releases with appeal for her large and varied audience is unlikely to make much difference to the way she's perceived by the minority audience of self-styled "traditionalists".

So there are many good reasons for liking WAW - but I'd be cautious of thinking that, in itself, it would make much difference to the way Carrie's already perceived.

simonplay

Well after watch the EPIC Blown Away performance in the tour I think everybody have to vote for Blown Away!!!!!!!!!! :D

supercarriefan

Two more days and WAW leads by one vote. Someone should send Carrie these results so she knows that THIS is how amazing WAW is.

This is only the opinion of 67 people, though, lol. I don't know that the opinion of less than 100 people would be enough to make the point :p.

C'mon, Cole, just close the poll now ;). We can pretend that the 6 days have passed...no one will notice :rolleyes:.