Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12: Blown Away vs. Wine After Whiskey vs. Who Are You FINAL ROUND!

Blown Away vs. Wine After Whiskey vs. Who Are You

• Blown Away

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Wine After Whiskey

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Who Are You

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chasing Dreams

I voted for "Wine After Whiskey." "Blown Away" is a great song that I love, but I love "Wine After Whiskey" a little bit more. "Who Are You" is also a very good song, but it's not my overall favorite.

pklongbeach

Hey, What happened??
How did WAY get there?
I already voted so I can't vote for WaY?
Was it there all along?
Color me blind, Batman!

maddkat

Staff member
^ I like GIG better then WAW too.

No contest for BA vs WAW - BA by a mile.
But BA vs WAY was tough.I finally went for BA,it was close.

pklongbeach

I'm still mad cause if WAY was there at the beginning I would have voted it just cause I know that so many find it to be a throw-away.
That is my Groove that song!

allamericangirl8

How 'bout this, PK: your vote for BA doesn't count. In the final talley, we'll just pretend you voted for WAY instead. :)

So BA and WAW are actually tied.

PRGuy79

No!!! It's 18 to 17 with WAW in the lead. Come on BA people. Work it, work it! Let's keep the fight alive. :) This is going down to the wire.

Farawayhills

It's interesting that the songs Carrie selects for the closing number on her album always seem musically different from the album as a whole. All of them also seem to be themes that express sentiments that are important to her - a closing message to listeners that reveal something of her outlook on life. The two that she co-wrote contain autobiographical elements - IAICA obviously so, and PO, I think, more subtly so, in that I see it as her discussion of the challenges she faces in striving to improve and fulfill her goals. The other two can be interpreted as spiritual songs, but are also non-specific, in that they leave listeners free to see the message in the light to their own thoughts and reactions.

WAY is interesting, in that Carrie says that Mutt Lange sent the song to her, apparently thinking it would be well suited to her. Lange is a Sant Mat Hindu, and two of the main tenets of that faith are the soul's inner search to understand God, and the universality of faith, transcending religious divisions. The lyrics of the song, addressing the question "Who Are You?" fit the first principle very well - and the fact that he sent the song to a Christian (and fellow vegetarian) is also consistent with the second principle. Carrie says in her video talk on the song that when she first heard it, her immediate reaction was to think of it in terms of a lover, and she saw the spiritual meaning secondly, after discussing the song. She feels that its power lies in being able to be interpreted by listeners on different levels and applied to what they see as important - but for her, the faith interpretation has become the most important.

I think the song works well, with its insistent drum beat echoing the questioning of the lyric, and the opportunity it gives the singer for a strong delivery. Nevertheless, although its grown on me, I still feel the other two songs are stronger. I can understand the votes that have gone to WAY, but I'm still sticking to the ones I mentioned in another post as my top seven.

So, for me, we're back to the two that tied in the last round - and as I said there, I'm going for BA as the more dramatic and more vocally varied.

twaintrain

I love all three. Don't know why people give WAY such a hard time. It's the best contemporary Christian song I've heard in a long time. My favorite song isn't on the list, "Two Black Cadillacs," but my second favorite is "Wine After Whiskey."

Carrieflattsfan

I love all three of these but I pulled WAW ahead. The lyrics are beautiful and Carrie's delivery is unbeatable. She really hasn't had a song that allows her voice to shine the way it does here, IMO. I'm drawn to it.

BA is great, but to me it's more about the production and the story. WAW is about the main attraction: her voice. I love that.

WAY had to grow on me, but now I love it. Carrie sings it with so much conviction, and I like that the listeners can interpret the lyrics as they want to.

thunder92

I love all three. Don't know why people give WAY such a hard time. It's the best contemporary Christian song I've heard in a long time. My favorite song isn't on the list, "Two Black Cadillacs," but my second favorite is "Wine After Whiskey."

I wouldnt say its a christian song, but thats just my own opinion. I see it as a song about that one "being" as Carrie herself said. It can be about God or whomever, but it could be about a loved one too.

Either way I love it! Its become one of my favorites